Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Play Offs 02:46 - Feb 18 with 3390 viewsKropotkin123

Anyone else confident we'll win them if we don't make the top 2? For me it depends who is in there. I can see us beating every team except Wycombe over two legs. Burnley, Rotherham, and all the top 6 games give me confidence we would. We could well get to the playoffs having not lost to any of the teams in there.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Play Offs on 05:25 - Feb 18 with 2698 viewsIllinoisblue

We’re so fragile right now I could see us going to somewhere like Derby or Bolton and folding like a pack of cards.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Play Offs on 06:30 - Feb 18 with 2646 viewsChrisd

Based on how we are now, then no. There are other sides that are in better form than us and look far more threatening currently. The good thing is that there are plenty of games to go to play ourselves into form. Nevertheless, the way we are playing at the moment, I’m concerned whether we’ll finish in the top 6. We really need to turn things around because we look the team the least likely to win those Play Offs based on our form and fragile confidence levels.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2023 6:58]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Play Offs on 07:14 - Feb 18 with 2574 viewshammo56

I’m not even confident we will make the Playoffs. If we do I just can’t see us winning them.
Play Offs on 07:45 - Feb 18 with 2531 viewsDubtractor

Here and now, as we are playing at the moment, I wouldn't be confident. But a few wins change everything, and hopefully today is the start of that.

I know people get prickly about the 'another 15 games to go' narrative, but we could look a very different prospect by the time we get to May.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Play Offs on 07:50 - Feb 18 with 2526 viewsChurchman

Sadly, I think our race is run. Even if we hang on to a play off spot, I cannot see us getting past the likes of Bolton and Derby. I hope I’m wrong and usually am. A win or two can work wonders on confidence and performance.
Play Offs on 08:17 - Feb 18 with 2486 viewsHerbivore

Some of the responses here are interesting. We've just played Sheffield Wednesday who were on a 6 game winning run, including beating Plymouth, and we drew the game and could easily have won it. I'm not sure the likes of Derby and Bolton are better sides than Wednesday and even in this poor run, nobody has given us a beating. We've lost four games all season, all by the odd goal and a couple of them in somewhat unfortunate circumstances. Think we need to get a bit of perspective, we are not an easy side to beat.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Play Offs on 08:20 - Feb 18 with 2473 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

I had been thinking the same thing re Burnley and Rotherham, but I must admit I've lost all confidence at this point. Today is the first time in a while that I'm not looking forward to going, even more anxious about next weekend. Maybe once we have more to rely on in the midfield my confidence will start to grow, but those injuries have left us rather exposed. Ultimately my belief will probably depend on how we finish the regular season.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Play Offs on 08:21 - Feb 18 with 2469 viewsWickets

I'm keeping my big gob shut as I was confident we would win the league .
Login to get fewer ads

Play Offs on 08:24 - Feb 18 with 2450 viewsGlasgowBlue

Play Offs on 05:25 - Feb 18 by Illinoisblue

We’re so fragile right now I could see us going to somewhere like Derby or Bolton and folding like a pack of cards.

We folded like a pack of cards against Wednesday last week and turned it around. So although it is entirely possible we will have one of those calamitous twenty minute periods, over two legs I think we have enough to beat anyone.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Play Offs on 08:24 - Feb 18 with 2448 viewsunstableblue

Play Offs on 08:17 - Feb 18 by Herbivore

Some of the responses here are interesting. We've just played Sheffield Wednesday who were on a 6 game winning run, including beating Plymouth, and we drew the game and could easily have won it. I'm not sure the likes of Derby and Bolton are better sides than Wednesday and even in this poor run, nobody has given us a beating. We've lost four games all season, all by the odd goal and a couple of them in somewhat unfortunate circumstances. Think we need to get a bit of perspective, we are not an easy side to beat.

We blew Sheff Weds away for 40mins. Chaplin puts the header a foot wider either side of keeper and we win. Indeed if he scores the penalty perhaps we win.

That was the league game before last.

Two games before that we blew a team away scoring 4 goals in the first half.

Games like Cambridge away, Oxford away have been unacceptable. But it remains a season of good results. And we have a chance to go into the play-offs in a run of form.

But if the fans turn, this will spiral into a sh!tshow… and McKenna will get the boot

Big Duncan Fergusons whole team talk will be keep them out for 20mins and get their fans on their backs.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Play Offs on 08:26 - Feb 18 with 2443 viewsDubtractor

When I say I wouldn't be confident, don't mistake that for thinking no chance. I just think that we're a bit too patchy at the moment - we seem to play well for one half, then badly for a half. Also, if we draw games and rely on a penalty shootout........

We are indeed quite resilient though, and our home form is very good.

My main point is that the question needs to be asked just before the playoffs - if we get there then we will clearly be on better form than we have been for the last 6 weeks or so.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Play Offs on 08:29 - Feb 18 with 2426 viewsHerbivore

Play Offs on 08:26 - Feb 18 by Dubtractor

When I say I wouldn't be confident, don't mistake that for thinking no chance. I just think that we're a bit too patchy at the moment - we seem to play well for one half, then badly for a half. Also, if we draw games and rely on a penalty shootout........

We are indeed quite resilient though, and our home form is very good.

My main point is that the question needs to be asked just before the playoffs - if we get there then we will clearly be on better form than we have been for the last 6 weeks or so.

I agree we need to see how we finish the season, but I'd say that even during our worst patch of form under McKenna - which I'd say is a fair reflection of performances and results in 2023 - the top 2 sides couldn't beat us at PR and we remain a difficult side to beat. If we can have an uptick in performances and results between now and the end of the season then there's no reason to think we wouldn't have a good chance in the play offs.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Play Offs on 09:10 - Feb 18 with 2319 viewsibbleobble

The fact we’ve only lost 4-league games this season is promising over two legs. We’re not bad, we’re just a shadow of what we were. I’d fancy is to make the final but then it’s a roll of the dice no matter who we play.
Play Offs on 09:24 - Feb 18 with 2285 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Play Offs on 05:25 - Feb 18 by Illinoisblue

That doesn't bear weight though does it. Better team against Burnley for the most part, should have beaten Wednesday (twice) should have beaten Plymouth (once).

I'm more concerned about going to Morecambe and getting a draw than 'folding like a pack of cards'

The problem is, the playoffs are a lottery, and we don't seem to have much luck. Maybe Ashton should pee in all four corners of the ground a la Barry Fry? He seems a man that stays well hydrated.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Play Offs on 09:26 - Feb 18 with 2282 viewsSomethingBlue

Play Offs on 09:10 - Feb 18 by ibbleobble

The fact we’ve only lost 4-league games this season is promising over two legs. We’re not bad, we’re just a shadow of what we were. I’d fancy is to make the final but then it’s a roll of the dice no matter who we play.

This is it — the fact we aren't losing games, and really don't much look like losing them, is a big reason to feel confident and another bit of evidence that we're really not far off in general. Not keen on all these projections of a play-off failure.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Play Offs on 09:58 - Feb 18 with 2215 viewsLankHenners

We could get thrashed in the upcoming away games against the current playoff teams which might alter my opinion but I doubt that will happen.

We've beaten Derby already this season (and would have done by a bigger margin if we had a player who knew how to take a penalty), and had much the better of the game overall against Barnsley and Bolton, with a total moron of a ref costing us a win in the former.

Wycombe clearly have a knack of being able to do a job on teams if things go their way as they did with MK Dons in the playoffs last season, although they did lose fairly comfortably in the final to Sunderland so shouldn't be feared.

I think we're good enough at home to beat any of the teams around us and teams that will want (or might be forced) to come at us at their place might suit us better.

Just looking at the other top 6 teams results against each other - Bolton have only won once against Barnsley, the the Tykes themselves the same (against Wednesday) and Derby have beaten both of them as their 2 wins against current top 6 whilst we of course have the one win over Derby. So very tight and not much in it so no reason not to back us really.

The final if we get there is obviously a different matter, one big cup match and it will be a really close call between whichever two teams get there. May sound a slightly frivolous worry but I genuinely fear us with penalties right now, hopefully some of the players who wouldn't be first or second choice in a match normally are actually decent at them or at least can belt it into the roof of the net.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Play Offs on 12:29 - Feb 18 with 2005 viewsringwoodblue

I think we can’t answer this now. After we’ve played Bolton, Derby and Barnsley away, then I think we’ll have a better idea about our potential to compete against these teams in an away leg. I’m more confident we can beat anyone at home.

Poll: How do you feel about the EADT digital subscription?

Play Offs on 12:33 - Feb 18 with 1976 viewsChrisd

By getting perspective do you mean looking at our form? Last 10 games we are 9th, our last 16 games we are 8th with all those around us in a higher positions in the form table. We might not lose many, but at the moment we don’t win that often either, where those sides around us are starting to win games quite consistently and are building momentum.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Play Offs on 12:37 - Feb 18 with 1948 viewsJ2BLUE

No idea why people have this irrational fear of Wycombe.

I think we would beat them over two legs.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Play Offs on 12:42 - Feb 18 with 1934 viewsNthsuffolkblue

If you had asked me at the end of October or beginning of November, I would have said the play-offs are a lottery but I would fancy our chances.

Now I would say the play-offs are a lottery but I don't fancy our chances, especially as there is a mental aspect to succeeding in them and we are lacking that mental resilience.

If you had asked me at 0-2 against Bolton in 2000, I would have said we had virtually no chance too but that there was still a long time to play and you never know.

Let's hope our confidence has returned and we have developed better resilience by the end of the season. We need characters to step up and drive us forward. Morsy, Walton, Edmundson all seem to have dropped off doing this. We need them and Woolfenden and others to step up with it instead. I guess their own confidence has been shaken somewhat too.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Play Offs on 12:54 - Feb 18 with 1886 viewsIllinoisblue

Play Offs on 09:24 - Feb 18 by Cheltenham_Blue

That doesn't bear weight though does it. Better team against Burnley for the most part, should have beaten Wednesday (twice) should have beaten Plymouth (once).

I'm more concerned about going to Morecambe and getting a draw than 'folding like a pack of cards'

The problem is, the playoffs are a lottery, and we don't seem to have much luck. Maybe Ashton should pee in all four corners of the ground a la Barry Fry? He seems a man that stays well hydrated.

Sadly, there’s no play off prize or advancement for teams that “should” win. The one hope is that we have two months to mentally adjust to having to be in the playoffs and that help us mentally

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Play Offs on 13:50 - Feb 18 with 1749 viewsBigCommon

If we have a fit and available midfield by then. We'll be much stronger, for sure. And we have nothing to fear ...
Play Offs on 14:14 - Feb 18 with 1696 viewsnshearman1

Nobody can be confident about the play-offs, it's such an absurd Lottery. It used to be said that the League doesn't lie but it does now. It will all be about going on a run and having a bit of momentum leading into them, along with relatively few injuries, and right now nobody can be sure of that.
Play Offs on 14:36 - Feb 18 with 1654 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Play Offs on 14:14 - Feb 18 by nshearman1

Nobody can be confident about the play-offs, it's such an absurd Lottery. It used to be said that the League doesn't lie but it does now. It will all be about going on a run and having a bit of momentum leading into them, along with relatively few injuries, and right now nobody can be sure of that.

There are small margins that decide most of those games. A lot of it is about spirit and fight too.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Play Offs on 14:59 - Feb 18 with 1623 viewsjontysnut

On football terms OK but where the side is mentally I'm not sure. The away leg if second leg and we needed to win or draw would be a test.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024