Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts (n/t) 08:39 - Jan 16 with 7472 viewscarlisleaway

McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 08:43 - Jan 16 with 5829 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

That people will never cease over-analysing bland quotes from football managers

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 08:44 - Jan 16 with 5820 viewshype313

Makes Gerken think he is only a few hundred miles from the number one spot as opposed to a million miles.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 08:46 - Jan 16 with 5812 viewsKieran_Knows

Latest statement? Have you been asleep the last 3 years or so? He say's this every time anything is mentioned about Bart.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 08:48 - Jan 16 with 5799 viewsJakeITFC

When they were last playing semi-regularly I didn’t think there was much between them.

Bart has benefitted from a run as no.1 and has proven to be better, but I really don’t think there is too much in it. Both get under the ball from crosses, both don’t have very good distribution.

If we sold Bart I’d expect us to sign a keeper for sure, but Gerken really isn’t a terrible short term fix.
McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 08:52 - Jan 16 with 5778 viewsDubtractor

McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 08:48 - Jan 16 by JakeITFC

When they were last playing semi-regularly I didn’t think there was much between them.

Bart has benefitted from a run as no.1 and has proven to be better, but I really don’t think there is too much in it. Both get under the ball from crosses, both don’t have very good distribution.

If we sold Bart I’d expect us to sign a keeper for sure, but Gerken really isn’t a terrible short term fix.

Probably the best second choice keeper I can recall us having - certainly in the last 30 years anyway.

As I said yesterday, he isn't good, but he isn't bad either. You'd want better as a long term option but I wouldn't be too concerned if he was 1st choice for the rest of the season - though if we were genuine playoff chasers (I don't think we are) then perhaps we should look to get someone in if Bart leaves.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 08:58 - Jan 16 with 5750 viewsSwailsey

McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 08:52 - Jan 16 by Dubtractor

Probably the best second choice keeper I can recall us having - certainly in the last 30 years anyway.

As I said yesterday, he isn't good, but he isn't bad either. You'd want better as a long term option but I wouldn't be too concerned if he was 1st choice for the rest of the season - though if we were genuine playoff chasers (I don't think we are) then perhaps we should look to get someone in if Bart leaves.

I’d largely agree, although Branagan was pretty good wasn’t he? Only injury stopped his time here.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 09:02 - Jan 16 with 5723 viewsStokieBlue

McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 08:52 - Jan 16 by Dubtractor

Wasn't Forrest second choice to Wright for a bit back in the mid 90's?

Really were well stocked for keepers back then.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 09:04 - Jan 16 with 5723 viewsTractorWood

Bart plays when both are fit so there is. Not that competition for places is a bad thing, I just see no evidence for it.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Login to get fewer ads

McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 09:06 - Jan 16 with 5713 viewsElderGrizzly

McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 09:04 - Jan 16 by TractorWood

Bart plays when both are fit so there is. Not that competition for places is a bad thing, I just see no evidence for it.

Nothing is clearly incorrect, but very little is more accurate.

Bart isn’t the messiah he has been elevated to and Gerken isn’t the understudy to ALB people want to believe.

I’d suggest this just means Gerken is going to get a longer run in the team for one reason or another and MM is trying (in vain) to give Gerks a boost
McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 09:09 - Jan 16 with 5682 viewsGuru_of_Ipswich

Perhaps he is just trying to get a 4 million bid in for gerks from someone?
McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 09:18 - Jan 16 with 5651 viewsTractorWood

McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 09:06 - Jan 16 by ElderGrizzly

Bart isn’t the messiah he has been elevated to and Gerken isn’t the understudy to ALB people want to believe.

I’d suggest this just means Gerken is going to get a longer run in the team for one reason or another and MM is trying (in vain) to give Gerks a boost

I've seen no evidence to support his statement that there is nothing to choose between them. In my opinion Dean Gerken is a great bloke and decent backup but Bart is a better keeper. The main snagging point for me will be Dean's inability to parry to safe areas, always seems to parry onto the penalty spot.

I agree Bart's not the saviour some make him out to be but he's one of the top few keepers in the league and has been for the last 2 years. Dean is not. It's standard MM ego massaging rhetoric that everyone knows is nonsense.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2018 9:19]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 09:22 - Jan 16 with 5612 viewschicoazul

Exactly, Gerken is ok. But the only GK we will be getting in if Bart leaves will be a Paddy Kenny type to keep the bench warm. Gerken is Barts replacement.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 09:24 - Jan 16 with 5601 viewsRadlett_blue

I'm sure Evans's thought process is "Will I get as much as £4m for Bart in the summer?"
If Bart goes in January, another pointer that Evans may be cleaning Town up for a sale.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 09:26 - Jan 16 with 5589 viewsSomethingBlue

What would you rather he said?

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 09:27 - Jan 16 with 5585 viewsGavTWTD

McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 09:26 - Jan 16 by SomethingBlue

What would you rather he said?

Sounds like good management

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 09:31 - Jan 16 with 5561 viewshomer_123

McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 09:27 - Jan 16 by GavTWTD

Sounds like good management

Indeed.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 09:32 - Jan 16 with 5565 viewsRegencyBlue

McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 09:06 - Jan 16 by ElderGrizzly

Overall Bart is the better keeper of the two, albeit that I also dont think he is quite as good as many believe.

Both are decent shot stoppers but Gerken flaps at crosses too much for my liking.

All this says to me is that if Bart is sold over the next couple of weeks we will not be looking for a replacement.
McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 09:55 - Jan 16 with 5460 viewsElderGrizzly

McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 09:18 - Jan 16 by TractorWood

I've seen no evidence to support his statement that there is nothing to choose between them. In my opinion Dean Gerken is a great bloke and decent backup but Bart is a better keeper. The main snagging point for me will be Dean's inability to parry to safe areas, always seems to parry onto the penalty spot.

I agree Bart's not the saviour some make him out to be but he's one of the top few keepers in the league and has been for the last 2 years. Dean is not. It's standard MM ego massaging rhetoric that everyone knows is nonsense.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2018 9:19]

I haven’t said “nothing”. In the post you are replying to i Literally just said Bart was the better keeper! :)
McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 10:09 - Jan 16 with 5413 viewsGarv

What actually annoys me about both but Gerks in particular is their lack of kicking ability.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 10:26 - Jan 16 with 5357 viewsJ2BLUE

Good management.

MM is well aware of the rumours about Bart leaving and knows he isn't likely to sign a new #1 for a fee. Therefore there's a chance Gerken is our starting keeper until the end of the season with a loanee backup. He can't really come out and say Bart is superior then we sell him a week later and hand Gerken the shirt.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 10:41 - Jan 16 with 5303 viewshomer_123

McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 10:09 - Jan 16 by Garv

What actually annoys me about both but Gerks in particular is their lack of kicking ability.

I take your point but I'd argue their ability to stop the ball going in the back of the net is more important! ;)

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 11:17 - Jan 16 with 5177 viewsSuperfrans

McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 08:43 - Jan 16 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

That people will never cease over-analysing bland quotes from football managers

Or those clearly designed to motivate players, especially players he is going to have to make first choice in a week or two.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 11:19 - Jan 16 with 5175 viewsKieran_Knows

McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 10:09 - Jan 16 by Garv

I'd say they're as bad as each other in that department.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Indeed, if anything.... on 11:22 - Jan 16 with 5175 viewsBloots

McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 11:19 - Jan 16 by Kieran_Knows

I'd say they're as bad as each other in that department.

....Gerks is better than Bart when it comes to distribution.

I personally think that Bart would really struggle in the Premier League if a manager decides that he wants the team to play out from the back on a regular basis.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

McCarthy latest statement, nothing to choose between Gerken and Bart...thoughts on 11:27 - Jan 16 with 5160 viewschristiand

Like to believe it is good man-management, but I always have it in the back of my head that he really does believe there isn't much between the pair. It will be interesting to see if nothing happens with Bart and if he is available for selection on Saturday, who starts at Bolton?

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024