Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
November book thread 13:37 - Nov 5 with 4106 viewsfooters

What's everyone been reading over these long lockdown months?

Always good to see a variety of books on here and there are usually some great suggestions too.

I've just finished L!ve TV by Horrie and Nathan. It gives an in-depth history of the channel that gave us topless darts, midget wrestling and the weather in Norwegian. But it also charts how the British mainstream media became 'tabloidised' by the likes of David Montgommery, Janet Street-Porter, Kelvin Mackenize, et al. Highly recommended to anyone interested in that sort of thing.

Also finished recently was Sources Close to the Prime Minister by Cockerell, Hennessy and Walker. Really good read on the history of lobby journalism, leaks and government news management. It also goes into detail about the suppression of various stories by the government, such as the Falklands and mining unions. Again, very good.

About to start A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole for summat a little more light-hearted.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

November book thread on 13:42 - Nov 5 with 2202 viewsSpruceMoose

On the Spruce nightstand currently:

Brit(ish) by Afua Hirsch
Waterlog: A Swimmer's Journey Through Britain by Roger Deakin
Dying of Whiteness by Jonathan Metzl
The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt

I flit between all four depending on my mood, but Roger Deakin is real favourite of mine. His writing is like a nice cup of tea in front of a warm fire in an old Suffolk farmhouse.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2020 13:43]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

November book thread on 13:46 - Nov 5 with 2183 viewsStokieBlue

The Signal and the Noise - Nate Silver.

Not sure how I missed it previously.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

November book thread on 13:46 - Nov 5 with 2184 viewsJ2BLUE

The Long Winter Trilogy.

Next up, The Chimp Paradox. I've read enough of it before to know the general idea but never finished it.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

November book thread on 13:48 - Nov 5 with 2174 viewsSpruceMoose

November book thread on 13:46 - Nov 5 by J2BLUE

The Long Winter Trilogy.

Next up, The Chimp Paradox. I've read enough of it before to know the general idea but never finished it.

Was that a typo and you meant you're reading 'The Chip Paradox'?

I think I've heard about that one, it's about the controversial idea that chips are both fast food and one of your five a day, right? Written by D.O. Olly.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2020 13:51]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

November book thread on 13:49 - Nov 5 with 2170 viewsMullet

Just finished the Outsider by Jonathan Wilson on goalkeepers it was excellent.

Now on Adam Rutherford's History of everyone which is good as my scientific knowledge always needs brushing up.

I see Daniel Gray from WSC has just done another book as a follow up to Saturday 3pm which is excellent. But I got the Bobby book from here so have that and Prisoners of Geography to get into at some point.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

November book thread on 13:57 - Nov 5 with 2148 viewsSteve_M

I'm currently re-reading Alastair Horne's 'A Savage War of Piece' on the Algerian fight for independence. It's very good but grim reading for the most part. Also a book of Christopher Hitchens' essays which I dip into now and again.

Prior to that David Edgerton's 'The Rise and Fall of the British Nation' which was good too, looked at how the concept of a 'British Nation', very much a late-twentieth century one, came about and challenges a few myths on both the left and right of British politics.

I stocked up on books last weekend so have a number lined up for the next few months.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

November book thread on 14:12 - Nov 5 with 2127 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

November book thread on 13:48 - Nov 5 by SpruceMoose

Was that a typo and you meant you're reading 'The Chip Paradox'?

I think I've heard about that one, it's about the controversial idea that chips are both fast food and one of your five a day, right? Written by D.O. Olly.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2020 13:51]

I've got my EYE on you!

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

November book thread on 14:17 - Nov 5 with 2113 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Currently have 3 on the go;

Physics of The Future - Michio Kaku.
Mindfulness - a practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world - Mark Williams and Danny Penman.
Read This If You Want To Be A Great Writer - Ross Raisin.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Login to get fewer ads

November book thread on 14:19 - Nov 5 with 2108 viewsitfcjoe

I just read Sons of Fortune by Jeffrey Archer, was reading Prisoners of Geography, and finished Left Behind by Lewis Goodal, and another book.

Just wanted something light hearted and fiction and Archer always is able to write a page turner even if the interweaved storylines do become very far fetched!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

November book thread on 14:20 - Nov 5 with 2107 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Just started ‘The art of Resilience’ by Ross Edgley courtesy of Newcy

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

November book thread on 14:21 - Nov 5 with 2101 viewswkj

The Very Hungry Caterpillar - I heard it was good from Newsround.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

November book thread on 14:26 - Nov 5 with 2089 viewsCoastalblue

Onto book 9 of the Wheel Of Time series currently. I'd read the first seven previously, but at a time when there weren't any more to read and I knew it would be a case of starting from the beginning to read the whole series, quite an undertaking so was have been waiting for the right time (Wheel Of)

I reckon I'll finish around Christmas then have a big pile of things to choose from, Natives by Akala and Simon Jenkins' Short History Of London are probably the current shortlist.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

November book thread on 14:26 - Nov 5 with 2089 viewsfooters

November book thread on 14:21 - Nov 5 by wkj

The Very Hungry Caterpillar - I heard it was good from Newsround.

Don't trust a word Lizo tells you. That's all I'm going to say on the matter.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

November book thread on 14:38 - Nov 5 with 2069 viewsIllinoisblue

Hiding in Plain Sight

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

November book thread on 14:39 - Nov 5 with 2068 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Chastise, The Dam Busters by Max Hastings.
Decent and informative read so far.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

November book thread on 14:40 - Nov 5 with 2064 viewsleitrimblue

Halfway through volume 2 of Gathering time: Dating the Neolithic enclosures of Southern Britain an Ireland. Alistair whittle et al. Not the most riveting read
November book thread on 14:42 - Nov 5 with 2050 viewsSpruceMoose

November book thread on 14:38 - Nov 5 by Illinoisblue

Hiding in Plain Sight

The Jeremy Beadle autobiography?

November book thread on 14:51 - Nov 5 with 2024 viewsfactual_blue

The Mirror and The Light, The Testaments, Agent Running In The Field are lined up.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

November book thread on 14:51 - Nov 5 with 2024 viewsDebsyAngel

Recently finished the John Taylor autobiography - he of Duran Duran, and it was one of the best books I have ever read. I have now started on Is It Just Me or Is Everything Sh*t?
by Alan McArthur and Steve Lowe. It's pretty funny.
November book thread on 15:01 - Nov 5 with 2015 viewsRobTheMonk

November book thread on 14:26 - Nov 5 by Coastalblue

Onto book 9 of the Wheel Of Time series currently. I'd read the first seven previously, but at a time when there weren't any more to read and I knew it would be a case of starting from the beginning to read the whole series, quite an undertaking so was have been waiting for the right time (Wheel Of)

I reckon I'll finish around Christmas then have a big pile of things to choose from, Natives by Akala and Simon Jenkins' Short History Of London are probably the current shortlist.

I'm halfway through book 7 for the first time. I've been doing a WOT book and then something in between to avoid burnout. I'm so mixed on this series. I love some of the characters, but some of them are so annoyingly written (some of the Aes Sedai crew - looking at you, braid tugger!).

My bus book is an utter guff Chris Ryan Extreme fiction book. It's glorious nonsense which is exactly what I need on the commute home.

Read a couple of Andy McDermott's Wilde and Chase books. Good, escapist action books. I switch off my brain and take it for what it is.

Matthew Reilly's Three Secret Cities was another action romp. His older stuff is head and shoulders above some of these newer books though.
"Easy Peasy, Puppy Squeezy"..... on 15:07 - Nov 5 with 2001 viewsBloots

.....alternative title: "How to stop your dog crapping in the living room, destroying your trainers and biting your face".

Kill me now.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

November book thread on 15:16 - Nov 5 with 1981 viewsfactual_blue

November book thread on 14:40 - Nov 5 by leitrimblue

Halfway through volume 2 of Gathering time: Dating the Neolithic enclosures of Southern Britain an Ireland. Alistair whittle et al. Not the most riveting read

Spoiler alert: None of them can be more than six thousand years old.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

November book thread on 15:20 - Nov 5 with 1972 viewsKeno

just finished this

Excellent and challenging read

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

"Easy Peasy, Puppy Squeezy"..... on 15:21 - Nov 5 with 1970 viewsSpruceMoose

"Easy Peasy, Puppy Squeezy"..... on 15:07 - Nov 5 by Bloots

.....alternative title: "How to stop your dog crapping in the living room, destroying your trainers and biting your face".

Kill me now.

A cork, clogs and a hockey mask?

November book thread on 15:22 - Nov 5 with 1963 viewsleitrimblue

November book thread on 15:16 - Nov 5 by factual_blue

Spoiler alert: None of them can be more than six thousand years old.

Ah, you've ruined it now, not gonna bother reading last few chapters. The author thinks the same as yerself but I think yer both wrong....
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024