Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? 09:41 - Nov 29 with 1825 viewsbournemouthblue

For me he is a player and always has been really talented, I'm always surprised he didn't go further as a player

He always looked a handful whenever he played against us

I think if he could strike a ball, he'd have played for a top club

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 09:54 - Nov 29 with 1521 viewsStadiumofdark

I had doubts why we needed another forward player.... but he's done well.
Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 09:59 - Nov 29 with 1503 viewsCotty

I was thinking this. Everybody was so busy spunking themselves dry over Edwards' arrival that Aluko was largely dismissed, but he is looking excellent at present.
Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 10:06 - Nov 29 with 1486 viewsitfcjoe

He seemed an unnecessary signing and one we just jumped on because available when Derby financial problems worsened as he was going there.

His debut was shocking, but I thought he'd contribute a bit as has good pedigree - but he's excellent and illustrates difference between CHamp and L1 in both physicality and retention of the ball

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 10:08 - Nov 29 with 1468 viewsSwansea_Blue

No doubts, but then no particular expectation either. I thought it made sense to see how he got on (as whacky as that sounds!). I was somewhat surprised at the strength of feeling against him though. It was a ridiculous reaction to his first half appearance when not particularly match fit and only having just met his teammates.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 10:12 - Nov 29 with 1442 viewschrismakin

Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 09:59 - Nov 29 by Cotty

I was thinking this. Everybody was so busy spunking themselves dry over Edwards' arrival that Aluko was largely dismissed, but he is looking excellent at present.

Not everyone was ;)

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 10:24 - Nov 29 with 1404 viewsHighgateBlue

I was intrigued when he signed, most unimpressed by his debut (and we're all human - first impressions do make a big impact). But he has a good attitude and intelligence, and he's just quietly put in performances of a pretty consistent high standard ever since. So the doubts were quickly dispelled, and it'll be a nice problem to have with Burns at full fitness.
Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 10:27 - Nov 29 with 1386 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Absolutely slated on royals.org so I did not expect too much, however he has certainly been a favourite of mine.
Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 10:29 - Nov 29 with 1377 viewsSwansea_Blue

Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 10:24 - Nov 29 by HighgateBlue

I was intrigued when he signed, most unimpressed by his debut (and we're all human - first impressions do make a big impact). But he has a good attitude and intelligence, and he's just quietly put in performances of a pretty consistent high standard ever since. So the doubts were quickly dispelled, and it'll be a nice problem to have with Burns at full fitness.

His cleverness is probably his biggest asset. He seems to read the game well and makes good decisions. That's the difference between someone like him and say a young player coming through like Dobra.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 10:30 - Nov 29 with 1370 viewsHighgateBlue

Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 09:59 - Nov 29 by Cotty

Yes there was a lot of over-excitement about Edwards. When one has a luxury player who doesn't always perform, but occasionally scores goals like Santi's against Crewe, much can be forgiven. But Edwards has I'm afraid been all "nice touches" and very little "end product". He's been around long enough now for the stats to be worth looking at, and Edwards pulls the wool over a lot of eyes in terms of his actual effectiveness.
Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 10:32 - Nov 29 with 1363 viewsEdwardStone

Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 10:29 - Nov 29 by Swansea_Blue

His cleverness is probably his biggest asset. He seems to read the game well and makes good decisions. That's the difference between someone like him and say a young player coming through like Dobra.

And he seems to have incredible close ball-control skills...the way he can twist and turn away from a defender is a joy to watch

He has become a Firm Favourite in this household

In a team with many candidates to choose from
Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 10:34 - Nov 29 with 1353 viewshype313

Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 10:06 - Nov 29 by itfcjoe

He seemed an unnecessary signing and one we just jumped on because available when Derby financial problems worsened as he was going there.

His debut was shocking, but I thought he'd contribute a bit as has good pedigree - but he's excellent and illustrates difference between CHamp and L1 in both physicality and retention of the ball

I remember that Newport game, and as you say he was shocking, but that was more due to fitness levels, I remember thinking then, if this guy gets fit he could be a real menace and even in that game, he showed some real touches of class.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 10:45 - Nov 29 with 1322 viewshomer_123

Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 10:32 - Nov 29 by EdwardStone

And he seems to have incredible close ball-control skills...the way he can twist and turn away from a defender is a joy to watch

He has become a Firm Favourite in this household

In a team with many candidates to choose from

Was thinking the same.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 10:56 - Nov 29 with 1279 viewsStokieBlue

Aluko has been excellent and I think a surprise to many including myself.

Worth noting though that Celina has more goals (4 vs 3) and far more assists (4 vs 0) in the same number of matches yet was being hounded last week.

The perceptions we as a fanbase have of some of our players often seem to be different to what the underlying data seems to show which I think is quite interesting.

The one who unfortunately has been disappointing has been Edwards. I still think he can come good but he really needs to be better at making that final decision - something he could learn from Aluko.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 12:05 - Nov 29 with 1170 viewsDarth_Koont

Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 10:56 - Nov 29 by StokieBlue

Aluko has been excellent and I think a surprise to many including myself.

Worth noting though that Celina has more goals (4 vs 3) and far more assists (4 vs 0) in the same number of matches yet was being hounded last week.

The perceptions we as a fanbase have of some of our players often seem to be different to what the underlying data seems to show which I think is quite interesting.

The one who unfortunately has been disappointing has been Edwards. I still think he can come good but he really needs to be better at making that final decision - something he could learn from Aluko.

SB

That’s true but Aluko has been more important for our overall play than any other player in that front 4. Although credit to Bonne for mostly making that generally thankless task of lone striker work.

Still yet to get the mix right behind Bonne. Although I think Celina, Chaplin and Aluko would be a good start.

And maybe it’s more about getting support up there from the LB area and CM which has too often been lacking. It might seem obvious but we look much better when we push up as a team.

Pronouns: He/Him

Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 12:18 - Nov 29 with 1130 viewsMullet

Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 12:05 - Nov 29 by Darth_Koont

That’s true but Aluko has been more important for our overall play than any other player in that front 4. Although credit to Bonne for mostly making that generally thankless task of lone striker work.

Still yet to get the mix right behind Bonne. Although I think Celina, Chaplin and Aluko would be a good start.

And maybe it’s more about getting support up there from the LB area and CM which has too often been lacking. It might seem obvious but we look much better when we push up as a team.

Burns seems far more important given without him Bonne has stopped scoring.

Given we can't seem to settle on that line of 3, it's difficult to know beyond game to game reflections.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 12:20 - Nov 29 with 1109 viewstractordownsouth

Yep, i've had to wolf down a big portion of humble pie. I'd like to see an attacking midfield 3 of Aluko, Chaplin and Burns moving forward, injuries permitting.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 12:22 - Nov 29 with 1091 viewsDarth_Koont

Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 12:18 - Nov 29 by Mullet

Given we can't seem to settle on that line of 3, it's difficult to know beyond game to game reflections.

Burns is certainly good enough. But his directness is a trade off as he’s not as good as keeping the ball as Aluko.

But the problems aren’t on our right.

Pronouns: He/Him

Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 12:23 - Nov 29 with 1086 viewsPhilTWTD

Not sure there should have been quite such the surprise there's been, of all the players we signed he was the one with the best CV.
Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 12:24 - Nov 29 with 1066 viewsPhilTWTD

Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 12:18 - Nov 29 by Mullet

Burns has been very good when he's had a full-back he's got the beating of for pace but if he's not he's been less effective. Aluko's got more about him overall.
Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 12:29 - Nov 29 with 1028 viewsMullet

Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 12:24 - Nov 29 by PhilTWTD

Burns has been very good when he's had a full-back he's got the beating of for pace but if he's not he's been less effective. Aluko's got more about him overall.

He's definitely Gwion Edwards with more result. I was pleased for Aluko, not just the personal circumstances, but he's tried that play more than once this season with nothing doing and to see it go in was brilliant.

It's noticeable with him and Edwards cutting in how narrow and compressed the play gets, but neither BC or JD have the successes with the overlaps to really make it work.

Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 12:38 - Nov 29 with 992 viewsPhilTWTD

Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 12:29 - Nov 29 by Mullet

He's definitely Gwion Edwards with more result. I was pleased for Aluko, not just the personal circumstances, but he's tried that play more than once this season with nothing doing and to see it go in was brilliant.

It's noticeable with him and Edwards cutting in how narrow and compressed the play gets, but neither BC or JD have the successes with the overlaps to really make it work.

Yes, I can see the Edwards similarities, although I think WB is faster and GE probably has more tricks. WB has great touch though. I'd actually be interested to see SA and WB combining on that flank with WB as the right-back.
Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 12:42 - Nov 29 with 953 viewsportmanking

Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 12:38 - Nov 29 by PhilTWTD

Yes, I can see the Edwards similarities, although I think WB is faster and GE probably has more tricks. WB has great touch though. I'd actually be interested to see SA and WB combining on that flank with WB as the right-back.

I've said that for some time re. Burns at right back and Aluko on the right inside forward role. For me, that would be the most round peg in round hole solution for the right flank in a Paul Cook 4-2-3-1 system.
Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 12:48 - Nov 29 with 909 viewsMullet

Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 12:38 - Nov 29 by PhilTWTD

It wasn't a Eureka moment at Boundary Park from memory, but I'm not placing much stock in that game given the side we put out etc.

Oldham fan at work is regular and reckons that Barrow will give us a good game and a decent side, and that their best player that night whose name escapes me is the type we will probably sign from them.

Apparently Warnock wanted to sign him after a trial at Boro this summer but didn't have space for him in the squad as a backup.

Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 12:54 - Nov 29 with 871 viewsPhilTWTD

Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 12:48 - Nov 29 by Mullet

It wasn't a Eureka moment at Boundary Park from memory, but I'm not placing much stock in that game given the side we put out etc.

Oldham fan at work is regular and reckons that Barrow will give us a good game and a decent side, and that their best player that night whose name escapes me is the type we will probably sign from them.

Apparently Warnock wanted to sign him after a trial at Boro this summer but didn't have space for him in the squad as a backup.

Dylan Bahamboula? His brother Plaisir had a trial here in 2012.
Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 12:56 - Nov 29 with 850 viewsMullet

Be honest, who had their doubts about Aluko? on 12:54 - Nov 29 by PhilTWTD

Dylan Bahamboula? His brother Plaisir had a trial here in 2012.

That's the fella. He did look like he was a typical X factor player.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024