Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! 11:41 - Mar 2 with 1898 viewsZx1988

Any good?

I'm currently trying to sort out broadband for my new place, and I'm getting offered their 108Mb package for £24 a month, which seems a pretty good deal.

I've heard that the bundled router/hub isn't much cop at all, with the WiFi being pretty naff. A friend has it and has often struggled with video calling in particular. On the other hand, I've also read that if you use the hub as a modem and then wire it into a different router, these problems often seem to disappear.

Does anyone else have any experience of this? Failing Virgin, are there any fibre deals (VM are the only FTTP provider in the new area) that would be a good alternative?

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! on 11:45 - Mar 2 with 1610 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I've had good and bad experiences with Virgin, the last being bad. Despite being past the end of our contract we were still 'technically' in contract, so were meant to give 3 months notice (or whatever it is) to leave. It meant they stung us for more money.

Scumbags. I'm with TalkTalk now who, so far, have been superb.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! on 11:49 - Mar 2 with 1584 viewsdickie

I've been with virgin for years and had no problems signal wise apart from for about a month in the first lockdown it was abysmal.

The only the real problem I've experienced are them increasing prices fairly dramatically whenever my contract comes to an end. Every time I threaten to leave (once actually left) and they always back down on the price eventually (just a pain having to deal with them)
Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! on 11:52 - Mar 2 with 1582 viewsSouperJim

I've been with Sky for most of the last 20 years or so, have dabbled occasionally with virgin and talk talk but have found Sky to be far more reliable and hassle free. Ymmv.

Their basic router has similarly poor wifi range however and they want an extra £5/month for one more fit for purpose. I'd recommend just investing in some decent extenders.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! on 11:56 - Mar 2 with 1550 viewsmuhrensleftfoot

No doubt in my mind they are technically the best broadband around. Don’t even need a landline phone. They are quite expensive though, once your introductory offer is over. Also poor customer service, you can’t get to speak to a human being, but that’s probably true of most ISPs. Fortunately I’ve rarely needed to speak to them. You can always improve Wi-Fi around your house as you suggested with a 3rd party router, or as I do, with power line adaptors and a Wi-Fi access point in the furthest part of the house.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2022 11:58]
Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! on 12:06 - Mar 2 with 1517 viewsZx1988

Cheers for the responses, folks.

Doing a quick comparison online shows that if I go with the alternative FTTC providers, I'll likely get an average speed of between 29 and 41 Mb/s based on my precise location.

There'll be two of us working from home with all that WFH entails, as well as online gaming and HD streaming. Would the FTTC connection get a little bit wheezy with that sort of high-intensity usage?

Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! on 12:09 - Mar 2 with 1514 viewsmutters

Have you got fibre to the property or just to the cabinet?

I've gone with EE (which is actually BT) and as i am an existing EE customer i get 150 MB/s for £21 a month (took a bit of haggling) plus 10% off my mobile and other benefits.

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! on 12:10 - Mar 2 with 1508 viewsZx1988

Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! on 12:09 - Mar 2 by mutters

Have you got fibre to the property or just to the cabinet?

I've gone with EE (which is actually BT) and as i am an existing EE customer i get 150 MB/s for £21 a month (took a bit of haggling) plus 10% off my mobile and other benefits.

The property already has a wired VM connection, but anything else will just be the usual FTTC connection, with the final leg being done over Openreach's copper(?) infrastructure.

According to the Openreach website, there are currently no plans to upgrade the area either.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2022 12:14]

Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! on 12:11 - Mar 2 with 1504 viewshoppy

Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! on 12:06 - Mar 2 by Zx1988

Cheers for the responses, folks.

Doing a quick comparison online shows that if I go with the alternative FTTC providers, I'll likely get an average speed of between 29 and 41 Mb/s based on my precise location.

There'll be two of us working from home with all that WFH entails, as well as online gaming and HD streaming. Would the FTTC connection get a little bit wheezy with that sort of high-intensity usage?

There's also benefits between the merger of Virgin with O2, that may be beneficial for you, if you've looked into that side of things?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Login to get fewer ads

Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! on 12:13 - Mar 2 with 1492 viewsZx1988

Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! on 12:11 - Mar 2 by hoppy

There's also benefits between the merger of Virgin with O2, that may be beneficial for you, if you've looked into that side of things?

They certainly look interesting, but given that I already have a good mobile package and on the basis that anything over 100Mb/s would probably just be excessive, I think the add-ons would fall into the nice-to-have bucket, rather than being anything upon which we would base a decision.

Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! on 12:22 - Mar 2 with 1483 viewsMillsTash

No problems with them for me. Been with them for 8 years and can't get a better deal or equipment elsewhere.

Recently negotiated a new 18mth deal for their Maxit TV package (BT sports inc), 200mb broadband and evening/weekend phone for £51 a month.
Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! on 12:30 - Mar 2 with 1441 viewsWD19

Worst customer experience ever. Bar none.
Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! on 12:37 - Mar 2 with 1421 viewsEly_Blue

I upgraded to VM from sky last October as sky router was awful as well as the service being pretty awful.

We got a deal for £69 a month for M350 fibre, Maxit TV pack (gives my sky movies, sports & bt sport)

The router is pretty good and the Wi-Fi signal is no worse than any other routers, we always get a good d/l speed and for example for playing Xbox live there are no server lags that had been experienced with both sky & but standard FTTC broadband.

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/5016549281

That’s what I am getting right now in the room furthest from the router

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! on 12:47 - Mar 2 with 1392 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Never had any issues myself but think it depends how many of your neighbours also use their fibre

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! on 13:20 - Mar 2 with 1362 viewsghostofescobar

We've been with them for about 6 years. Internet speed is fantastic. The only issue we have had is that their bog standard router isn't great, but then i doubt many "standard" routers handed out by any of the other major providers are much better? We invested in mesh extenders around the house (Linksys Velop - excellent), which was a game changer. Service used to be excellent, but it's not so good now, although rarely have to contact them.

GhostOfEscobar

Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! on 13:24 - Mar 2 with 1355 viewsDurovigutum

I live in a house connected to Virgin media cable broadband, as in also cable TV (not openreach or BT infinity). The only place in the country you will get better than Virgin media cable is Hull. I've been here 16 years and have a 600 Mbps service down, 40 up. I'm also on SamKnows, the Ofcom broadband monitoring service, so get monthly service reliablility schedules, including jitter and latency reports (eg the old Friday evening slowdown).

The product is exceptional, and I would pay £100 a month for it over getting BT infinity for nothing.

I've had one outage of about three hours in the last five years.

I'll sit here on Zoom, with TV being streamed at 4K, the Xbox being played, the Mrs on a video call, and won't get a dropped frame. I'll download ISO filed in the time it takes the kettle to boil (things are faster than 600 Mbps if hosted inside the Virgin network, and it seems MS do).

You will want a couple of decent meshed wireless network devices to get best use - depending on the size and layout of your house (and if you ever work in the garden). The supplied hub is "ok", but I just use as a cable modem.
Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! on 13:28 - Mar 2 with 1343 viewsSaleAway

the broadband is good - the router is bad. I use it as a modem, and bought a third party one, and everything is better.

Customer service is shocking, but I've not had any issues for the past 10 years, so not really a problem.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! on 13:33 - Mar 2 with 1328 viewsGuthrum

I've been with Virgin and its predecessors for over 20 years. I won't say it's been problem free, occasionally there are outages for a few hours, but generally speaking it does the job of providing functional broadband and TV. When modems and boxes have broken, they're replaced pretty quickly.

It's not bargain price, but neither is it over the odds, as far as I can tell (tho comparison is difficult when all companies only publish their marvellous new customer offers).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! on 14:12 - Mar 2 with 1293 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! on 11:45 - Mar 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

I've had good and bad experiences with Virgin, the last being bad. Despite being past the end of our contract we were still 'technically' in contract, so were meant to give 3 months notice (or whatever it is) to leave. It meant they stung us for more money.

A downarrow for sharing my experience? Do you work for Virgin Blueas?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! on 15:17 - Mar 2 with 1248 viewsblueasfook

Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! on 14:12 - Mar 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

A downarrow for sharing my experience? Do you work for Virgin Blueas?

No, I just like giving you down arrows

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! on 15:26 - Mar 2 with 1239 viewsBlueBadger

Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! on 11:45 - Mar 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

Too many mentions of the word 'virgin' hits too close to the bone for him?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! on 15:32 - Mar 2 with 1221 viewsDanTheMan

Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! on 13:28 - Mar 2 by SaleAway

the broadband is good - the router is bad. I use it as a modem, and bought a third party one, and everything is better.

Customer service is shocking, but I've not had any issues for the past 10 years, so not really a problem.

In my experience the routers that comes with broadband packages are always god awful. I reckon it would amaze people how much better their connection is with a proper router.

I do the same as you, the "media hub" is purely a modem and I've got an ASUS RTAC86-U for about 5-6 years now and it's still going strong. Probably due an upgrade soon but it's done good for how much it cost, second hand too.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! on 15:44 - Mar 2 with 1212 viewsblueasfook

Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! on 15:26 - Mar 2 by BlueBadger

Too many mentions of the word 'virgin' hits too close to the bone for him?

Maybe about 30 yrs ago! I have a son who is 20!

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! on 15:53 - Mar 2 with 1202 viewshype313

Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! on 15:32 - Mar 2 by DanTheMan

In my experience the routers that comes with broadband packages are always god awful. I reckon it would amaze people how much better their connection is with a proper router.

I do the same as you, the "media hub" is purely a modem and I've got an ASUS RTAC86-U for about 5-6 years now and it's still going strong. Probably due an upgrade soon but it's done good for how much it cost, second hand too.

I've used Draytek's and they have been spot on.

As you say, the routers that come as standard are woeful, and we are the only nation that gives them away with broadband, certainly in mainland Europe you have to buy a router to go with your connectivity.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! on 15:57 - Mar 2 with 1198 viewsTractor_Buck

I can only add to the 'upvoters' for Virgin. Been with them/Telewest/Cable Midlands for 25 years plus. One major outage in that time which was the fault of a contractor cutting through a cable, but otherwise it works fine. The Hub4 delivers plenty for us - enough for me to run Spotify and browse the socials whilst Mrs TB watches something on Netflix and TBJnr (when he's here) on YouTube, Rocket League, Football manager etc etc etc.

They tend to play hard but fair when the 18 month contract comes up for renewal, and the last couple of times we've agreed to the same price or a few quid cheaper whilst getting a speed upgrade or new telly box.
Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! on 16:05 - Mar 2 with 1184 viewsBlueBadger

Virgin Media broadband - opinions please! on 15:44 - Mar 2 by blueasfook

Maybe about 30 yrs ago! I have a son who is 20!

Well, your wife has a son of 20...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024