Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood 12:51 - Mar 14 with 72564 viewswkj

Seems as J2 bought up that Toys R Us are crocked, it got me thinking about other shops in the town that were memorable for me as a child, the two that stick out the most are:

John Menzies (which then became HMV i think) as going up those stairs felt like the coolest thing, and it is the first place I ever saw a 1kg slab of cadburys at christmas.

Grimwades as they has a beautiful pork pie type dinner in their restaurant on the upper floors.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 16:05 - Apr 11 with 8049 viewsBluebell

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 12:53 - Mar 14 by hype313

Red Eye Records, New Era, Trapeze, Phunk Chunk The Sport Shop next to Willy's and Milly's.

Willy's and Milly's.

Was there really a shop called that?

Chuckle.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 16:22 - Apr 11 with 8032 viewsLord_Lucan

Not a childhood shop but I really miss Greens, the hardware / DIY store that was next to The Caribbean Club, actually I miss The Caribbean Club as well.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 17:09 - Apr 11 with 7994 viewscaught-in-limbo

What a great thread.

I think I spent most of my time in 3 shops while I lived in the Ipswich area:

The Ancient House
Andy's Records
John Menzies

What was the name of the outdoor/camping shop opposite Mick McNeil's?

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 17:24 - Apr 11 with 7976 viewscaught-in-limbo

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 17:09 - Apr 11 by caught-in-limbo

What a great thread.

The Ancient House
Andy's Records
John Menzies

Just looked on Google street view for the outdoor shop opposite Mick McNeil's on Tacket Street.

It looks like the whole place has been knocked down to make a bigger carpark! When did that happen?

#toxic

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 17:28 - Apr 11 with 7966 viewsPJH

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 17:24 - Apr 11 by caught-in-limbo

Just looked on Google street view for the outdoor shop opposite Mick McNeil's on Tacket Street.

It looks like the whole place has been knocked down to make a bigger carpark! When did that happen?

Was Mick McNeil's on Tacket Street?-you might be right but I thought it was near The Great White Horse.

He might possibly have had two shops because I think he had a few throughout East Anglia.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 17:33 - Apr 11 with 7959 viewsbrazil1982

I remember getting Arnold Muhren's autograph (still got it) from Solar Superstore where you had to give your bags in at the entrance.

Loved Peachey's and Everybody's Hobbies.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 17:41 - Apr 11 with 7941 viewscaught-in-limbo

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 17:28 - Apr 11 by PJH

Was Mick McNeil's on Tacket Street?-you might be right but I thought it was near The Great White Horse.

He might possibly have had two shops because I think he had a few throughout East Anglia.

I don't remember a Mick McNeil's near the Great White Horse at all, then I think you might be a bit older than me.

The Great White Horse was the place to go to get served if you were under age. I remember going there a lot and then getting refused a drink the first time I was legally able to drink there.

Scenes.

#toxic

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 17:50 - Apr 11 with 7917 viewsswede

Mick McNeil's was definitely on Tacket Street. I remember the smell of leather boots and footballs.
Login to get fewer ads

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 17:53 - Apr 11 with 7913 viewsWonky

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 17:41 - Apr 11 by caught-in-limbo

I don't remember a Mick McNeil's near the Great White Horse at all, then I think you might be a bit older than me.

The Great White Horse was the place to go to get served if you were under age. I remember going there a lot and then getting refused a drink the first time I was legally able to drink there.

Scenes.

As many have said Everybody's hobbies. Had model kits stacked higher than I could reach, which probably wasn't that high.

Ancient house bookshop too.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 17:59 - Apr 11 with 7902 viewsWeWereZombies

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 17:09 - Apr 11 by caught-in-limbo

What a great thread.

The Ancient House
Andy's Records
John Menzies

The Scout Shop

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 18:05 - Apr 11 with 7898 viewscaught-in-limbo

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 17:59 - Apr 11 by WeWereZombies

The Scout Shop

"The Scout Shop" rings a distant bell - perhaps it changed its name after that?

#toxic

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 18:16 - Apr 11 with 7879 viewsgainsboroughblue

I don't remember McNeil's being on Tacket Street I must admit. It was on Upper Brook Street though (opposite Sainsburys). Before that, it was on the corner of Museum Street/High Street round the back of M&S I believe, before that became Sports Image.

Then you had Peachey's on St Matthews Street which took over from Liptons.

This was all before JJB and the like.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 18:27 - Apr 11 with 7869 viewsMelford

I used to like the big Woolworth's, used to have lunch in the cafe when my mum and dad dragged us around shopping trips, used to get my cricket stuff from Mick McNeils. Rex Records and the musical instrument shop next door. I used to love getting into town about 1pm on a home game as a teenager in the early 90s and hitting the record shops. Compact Music in Sudbury didn't have a lot of stock, when you had Rex,Andys, HMV and Virgin in Ipswich it was the Holy Grail. I remember one day in 1995 when I'd got from my parents a tenner from every A-C I'd achieve in my GCSEs and an extra 20 for an A, I had £150 to spend and I did the lot on tapes/cds.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 18:30 - Apr 11 with 7862 viewsTrequartista

Sankey Smyths and Debenhams

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 18:32 - Apr 11 with 7861 viewsNBVJohn

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 17:41 - Apr 11 by caught-in-limbo

Scenes.

You’d have no bother getting served underage in the Great White Horse now - on my last walk through town last August I noticed to my dismay that it’s a fecking Starbucks now. When the hell did that happen?
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 18:51 - Apr 11 with 7838 viewsnewcastlefan1984

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:28 - Mar 14 by Kieran_Knows

The indoor football pitches were great in JJB. Spent many an afternoon playing football in there!

Woolworths when they had the cafe. When I went to university, I often have the breakfast.
JJB Sports. I worked there later on in Christmas 2008 and then from 2009 to 2011, the best job I have had to date. I remember the basketball and football cages.
Mick McNeil Sports where I got my first Newcastle and Ipswich shirt.
John Menzies
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 18:52 - Apr 11 with 7838 viewsDebsyAngel

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 16:05 - Apr 11 by Bluebell

Willy's and Milly's.

Was there really a shop called that?

Chuckle.

Willy's and Milly's is still there in Great Colman Street! Had lunch in there recently.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 19:10 - Apr 11 with 7818 viewsitfcjoe

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 18:32 - Apr 11 by NBVJohn

You’d have no bother getting served underage in the Great White Horse now - on my last walk through town last August I noticed to my dismay that it’s a fecking Starbucks now. When the hell did that happen?

The Starbucks is shut now, an empty unit currently

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 19:37 - Apr 11 with 7786 viewsMJallday

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:18 - Apr 11 by clive_baker

Ipswich had a Computer Magic too, it was near the bus station. That parade of shops where Sin is now.

Guy called "nick" used to run the bury one. years he was in there - i wonder what became of him.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 19:47 - Apr 11 with 7774 viewsBluish

I have vague memories of the fish counter in Woolies from late 70's, with it's nets and possibly water running behind it?
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:13 - Apr 11 with 7735 viewsjontysnut

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 17:50 - Apr 11 by swede

Mick McNeil's was definitely on Tacket Street. I remember the smell of leather boots and footballs.

I remember it on Tacket St near what was the Golden Egg which possibly became Spud u Like. What was the Indian next to the Grey Green (Grey Green!) garage.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:24 - Apr 11 with 7712 viewsWeWereZombies

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:13 - Apr 11 by jontysnut

I remember it on Tacket St near what was the Golden Egg which possibly became Spud u Like. What was the Indian next to the Grey Green (Grey Green!) garage.

Whoa, the Grey Green coach station. Always reminds me, because my Dad used to talk about it but I never knew him to take the coach, of McNamara's garage on, I think, Spring Road.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:33 - Apr 11 with 7693 viewsnorth_stand77

Chelsea Girl Boutique!
Bought my first two tone stay pressed trousers from there. Couldn't afford trousers AND a skirt, so bought some copper/blue two tone material from the habadashery shop near St Mathews Street and made my own skirt in needlework in school. Trouble was it took me a complete school year to make it and was out of fashion by the time I finished it!

Footmans, The Scout shop and C&A were also favourites, along with a record shop in Norwich Rd.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:38 - Apr 11 with 7681 viewsLord_Lucan

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:33 - Apr 11 by north_stand77

Chelsea Girl Boutique!
Bought my first two tone stay pressed trousers from there. Couldn't afford trousers AND a skirt, so bought some copper/blue two tone material from the habadashery shop near St Mathews Street and made my own skirt in needlework in school. Trouble was it took me a complete school year to make it and was out of fashion by the time I finished it!

Footmans, The Scout shop and C&A were also favourites, along with a record shop in Norwich Rd.

Copper/blue and purple/blue were the only choices.

I had the purple. Trousers version though.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:46 - Apr 11 with 7664 viewsnorth_stand77

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:38 - Apr 11 by Lord_Lucan

Copper/blue and purple/blue were the only choices.

I had the purple. Trousers version though.

I loved the skinhead/smoothie style with brogues, Chelsea laces, Ben Sherman and Brutus shirts with button down collars! I used to buy my shirts from Inces in Stowmarket. TWTD
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024