Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? 09:50 - Dec 27 with 22085 viewsGeefunk

How did he keep us so competitive in this division and keep this defense from leaking goals left, right and centre.

He is truly a football genius............
Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 09:54 - Dec 27 with 7806 viewsSuperblue95

Yawn

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 09:55 - Dec 27 with 7804 viewspatrickswell

Football genius - no

The only person to have made Ipswich Town “work” in the last decade? - Absolutely!

But the change was still right to be made (sadly).
Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 09:56 - Dec 27 with 7799 viewsFtnfwest

Initially long ball then expensive premier league loans, but I think he probably saw the writing on the wall
Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 09:58 - Dec 27 with 7781 viewsOxford_Blue

He had Webster, Garner, DM and Waghorn.
Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 10:00 - Dec 27 with 7770 viewschristiand

Time to move on.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 10:09 - Dec 27 with 7737 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Nice try.

There was a poll on this, and all 72 EFL clubs voted that they didn't rate him enough to offer him a job. ;-)

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 10:17 - Dec 27 with 7701 viewsfactual_blue

Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 09:58 - Dec 27 by Oxford_Blue

...at least two of whom left because of who replaced him and they weren't prepared put up with his management style.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 10:18 - Dec 27 with 7672 viewsBlueBadger

Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 10:17 - Dec 27 by factual_blue

...at least two of whom left because of who replaced him and they weren't prepared put up with his management style.

Nononononono, they had their heads turned 'by the money'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 10:36 - Dec 27 with 7632 viewsdoctorbuzz

Completely correct. I only come on this site to laugh at the idiots who pretend they know something about football but are clueless. Having said that Lambert is a top championship manager so I think we’ll be OK next year for promotion back to the championship
Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 10:40 - Dec 27 with 7604 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The time to hail him was when we were top in January … and back him with signing a couple of players (but ME was never going to take that gamble - interesting he is willing to gamble on us staying in the division instead though by all accounts).

Or you could have hailed him after signing Waghorn and Garner. I think most fans did recognise these things.

Such a shame that he wasn't led to believe he was staying and made all the transfer decisions for last summer.

We can't change history though and now we need PL to pull a couple of masterstrokes for himself this transfer window.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 10:46 - Dec 27 with 7569 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 10:09 - Dec 27 by Marshalls_Mullet

Nice try.

There was a poll on this, and all 72 EFL clubs voted that they didn't rate him enough to offer him a job. ;-)

A little harsh. I think only 20 odd chose to vote.

One international team voted that he is.

At the end of the day, he has gone and we need to move on.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 11:03 - Dec 27 with 7527 viewsfactual_blue

Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 10:18 - Dec 27 by BlueBadger

Nononononono, they had their heads turned 'by the money'.

Chris doesn't like implicit or explicit criticism of Mr Doig's chum.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 11:06 - Dec 27 with 7511 viewsm14_blue

He's a bloody good manager and he did a bloody good job.

Certainly not a football genius though.
Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 11:30 - Dec 27 with 7453 viewsMrTown

Look at the team we were playing with Kay lesson. In reflection I think he under performed.

Bialkowski (top form)
Iorfa - Webster - Chambers - Knudsen
Connolly - Skuse
Waghorn - McGoldrick - Celina
Garner

Wow that team in comparison to right now. Looking at that, and the standard of football Mick McCarthy served up, no he underachieved.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 11:48 - Dec 27 with 7422 viewsFtnfwest

Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 10:40 - Dec 27 by Nthsuffolkblue

The time to hail him was when we were top in January … and back him with signing a couple of players (but ME was never going to take that gamble - interesting he is willing to gamble on us staying in the division instead though by all accounts).

Or you could have hailed him after signing Waghorn and Garner. I think most fans did recognise these things.

Such a shame that he wasn't led to believe he was staying and made all the transfer decisions for last summer.

We can't change history though and now we need PL to pull a couple of masterstrokes for himself this transfer window.

The trouble with ME over the years is he tends to take footballing decisions with no real footballing background, he needs a savvy chief exec with a good team of guys around him which he’s never employed but which is generally the best and most successful modern model.
As for Mick, he quite clearly said at the time (2014/15) that he couldn’t get any better than what he already had at the club and never asked ME to back him with more money.
Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 12:01 - Dec 27 with 7389 viewsmonty_radio

Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 11:30 - Dec 27 by MrTown

Look at the team we were playing with Kay lesson. In reflection I think he under performed.

Bialkowski (top form)
Iorfa - Webster - Chambers - Knudsen
Connolly - Skuse
Waghorn - McGoldrick - Celina
Garner

Wow that team in comparison to right now. Looking at that, and the standard of football Mick McCarthy served up, no he underachieved.

"Top form" goalkeepers are often hailed as such because they shine while having many chances to perform. This is no more than an average Champ side even if, individually, many of this team could put in 9 out of 10 shows on their given day.

Celebrating such a side, to my mind, simply shows our starvation levels.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 12:06 - Dec 27 with 7358 viewsFrimleyBlue

Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 12:01 - Dec 27 by monty_radio

"Top form" goalkeepers are often hailed as such because they shine while having many chances to perform. This is no more than an average Champ side even if, individually, many of this team could put in 9 out of 10 shows on their given day.

That's a key point

Herbz on another thread replied to me that our backline was fine under Mick, Problem is, Bartz was still having to make 3-4 world class saves, and I mean world class saves, we were very lucky to have Bart, his distribution issues probably the only reason he never got a prem team in for him the past couple of seasons.

How can a defence be that good, when a GK is MOTM in over 70% of our games.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 12:11 - Dec 27 with 7351 viewsHerbivore

Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 12:06 - Dec 27 by FrimleyBlue

That's a key point

Herbz on another thread replied to me that our backline was fine under Mick, Problem is, Bartz was still having to make 3-4 world class saves, and I mean world class saves, we were very lucky to have Bart, his distribution issues probably the only reason he never got a prem team in for him the past couple of seasons.

How can a defence be that good, when a GK is MOTM in over 70% of our games.

He wasn't making 3-4 world class saves a game, don't be so silly. And certainly don't pay any attention to who is MoM on the player ratings on here.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 12:14 - Dec 27 with 7332 viewsFrimleyBlue

Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 12:11 - Dec 27 by Herbivore

He wasn't making 3-4 world class saves a game, don't be so silly. And certainly don't pay any attention to who is MoM on the player ratings on here.

He was Herbz mate. As you know I don't get to watch a lot of the games live. but when ever you watch the highlights back, all you saw was save after save from Bart, whether its a close range reaction save or a 30 yarder attempt. He was always a shining light on a highlight reel.

I get the feeling we'll disagree on this, which is fine, but I think if you took Bart out of the team last season, town would have been a lot lower than 12th

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 12:15 - Dec 27 with 7331 viewsHerbivore

Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 12:14 - Dec 27 by FrimleyBlue

He was Herbz mate. As you know I don't get to watch a lot of the games live. but when ever you watch the highlights back, all you saw was save after save from Bart, whether its a close range reaction save or a 30 yarder attempt. He was always a shining light on a highlight reel.

I get the feeling we'll disagree on this, which is fine, but I think if you took Bart out of the team last season, town would have been a lot lower than 12th

3-4 world class saves every game is nonsense, mate. Utter nonsense.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 12:16 - Dec 27 with 7328 viewsmrshallisfit

Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 09:58 - Dec 27 by Oxford_Blue

Yes he did. How brilliant was he at getting in great players on the cheap. In the end it was his undoing.
Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 12:20 - Dec 27 with 7312 viewsMrTown

Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 12:01 - Dec 27 by monty_radio

Isn’t that what the best keepers do, make top draw saves? You’ll never ever stop shots all the time. It is about what is behind you as a last port of call. There is a reason Liverpool signed Allison, a great side but will never stop the flow entirely.

I don’t recall celebrating this side, in fact quite the opposite. Was very underwhelmed by the football served up by what was clearly very talented footballers.

Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 12:24 - Dec 27 with 7289 viewsMrTown

Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 12:15 - Dec 27 by Herbivore

3-4 world class saves every game is nonsense, mate. Utter nonsense.

I agree, did not make 3-4 world class saves a game. But when he needed to he made some of the most remarkable saves. No team will get anywhere without a great goalkeeper.

Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 12:27 - Dec 27 with 7273 viewsmrshallisfit

Not a football genius but someone who got us punching way beyond the investment put in by Turd Evans. The nearest he came to genius was in his transfer transactions. Garner Waghorn Mings Berra Murphy. Collectively for 1.2 million. Wow!
Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 12:30 - Dec 27 with 7258 viewsNo9

Is it time to herald Mick McCarthy as a football genius ?? on 10:09 - Dec 27 by Marshalls_Mullet

Nice try.

Valid point
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024