Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union 00:52 - Jan 21 with 25996 viewsThe_Last_Baron

How are we all feeling about this impending historic moment?

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 11:02 - Jan 21 with 2665 viewsNewcyBlue

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 10:00 - Jan 21 by Guthrum

The Danes may be the next to leave. They have never been entirely enthusiastic members of the project and are very concerned about immigration (or, more precisely, takeover by Germans).

Whilst they are concerned about immigration, they are definitely disappointed in us.

Especially as I am now not allowed to sail on Danish ships because of Brexit.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 11:17 - Jan 21 with 2650 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 09:03 - Jan 21 by artsbossbeard

I've always classed myself as European, I'm a bit miffed in all honesty.

You're still European. The EU is not Europe. Its a fabricated project designed to destroy nation States and create a United States of Europe where unelected commissioners tell you how to live.

The sooner the whole thing collapses the better. I give it another decade.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 11:19 - Jan 21 with 2646 viewsIpswich_Crazy

Poll: Are fans getting fed up with Sky Sports changing our Kick off schedules?

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 11:23 - Jan 21 with 2628 viewsHARRY10

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 11:19 - Jan 21 by Ipswich_Crazy

looks like a condemned man being told his execution day
Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 12:22 - Jan 21 with 2579 viewsbrazil1982

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 09:50 - Jan 21 by Herbivore

It's almost like they've forgotten we're losing the right to live and work freely in the rest of the EU.

I'm sure with your qualifications and experience, any European country would be very welcoming to you wanting to work there.
Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 12:26 - Jan 21 with 2567 viewsfooters

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 12:22 - Jan 21 by brazil1982

I'm sure with your qualifications and experience, any European country would be very welcoming to you wanting to work there.

Are there any professional qualifications for seasonal farm work, do you know?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 12:34 - Jan 21 with 2541 viewsGuthrum

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 11:02 - Jan 21 by NewcyBlue

Whilst they are concerned about immigration, they are definitely disappointed in us.

Especially as I am now not allowed to sail on Danish ships because of Brexit.

Blimey, that's very awkward.

There are going to be an awful lot of loose ends like that which need tying up before things can return to some semblance of normal. And we have just 11 months to do it all in.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 12:48 - Jan 21 with 2520 viewsNewcyBlue

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 12:34 - Jan 21 by Guthrum

There are going to be an awful lot of loose ends like that which need tying up before things can return to some semblance of normal. And we have just 11 months to do it all in.

Our union has said it might take some time for the EU to ratify our standards of training to start issuing certificates of equivalent competency again.

This will limit the flags of vessels that Brits can sail on. Joining ship in EU countries has always been a straight forward affair, this will no doubt become more of an effort.

Still, at least we have managed to outsource making our blue passports to the French....

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Login to get fewer ads

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 12:51 - Jan 21 with 2510 viewsHARRY10

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 12:34 - Jan 21 by Guthrum

err, 10 moths (at the most) as the EU have said they will not be ready to begin negotiations until March

Meanwhile the UK has to find trained and experienced trade negotiators to sort out deals with the 70 countries we currently have free trade deals with courtesy of the EU

None of whom will see the UK's plight as a means to drive a much harder bargain that what is agreed currently

No sir, no sirreee................... as we are talking the sunny uplands of the brexit la la land where reality is not welcome and there will not be any customs checks between NI and GB (actually, there will)
Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 12:51 - Jan 21 with 2501 viewsHerbivore

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 10:06 - Jan 21 by Oxford_Blue

In response to the “a consultant at the hospital thinks Brexit is a disaster” which implies that professional people are remainers.

People working in professions that will very likely be negatively impacted by Brexit, yes. I've worked with barristers, solicitors and judges in the past and they tend to be very Conservative and much more likely to support Brexit, especially since they will be largely insulated against the negative impact of it. You may as well have said I know some Conservatives who are delighted about Brexit, it would have had the same impact and still been a false equivalence.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 12:58 - Jan 21 with 2485 viewsHerbivore

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 12:22 - Jan 21 by brazil1982

They would, but it's been made much harder for me and others. The frustrating thing is the Boomers are the ones who are making my future worse having had all the benefits of things like free movement during their working life. Selfish to the end.

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 12:59 - Jan 21 with 2492 viewschicoazul

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 11:17 - Jan 21 by The_Last_Baron

You're still European. The EU is not Europe. Its a fabricated project designed to destroy nation States and create a United States of Europe where unelected commissioners tell you how to live.

The sooner the whole thing collapses the better. I give it another decade.

I sort of agree with your summary, but then again I don't.

What a lot of English people forget about continental Europe is they have suffered great privations in living memory at the hands of dictators. Greece Spain Germany Italy the former Eastern Bloc states and the Balkan states all under direct rule by maniacs and fruitloops very recently, and France Holland and Belgium in particular got their rissoles torn out at their hands. The EU is definitely a response to those special situations. And many many people in your Scotlands and Irelands look on us English in a similar way, as an imposed dictatorship.

We have never had this in our country, well, not since Cromwell. So we don't have the eidetic memory those places can call on that makes the EU and it's lack of borders & fanatical egalitarianism seem a perfectly natural normal civilised way to live, which in many ways it is. But it just isn't English.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 13:08 - Jan 21 with 2463 viewsDarth_Koont

Feels like I'm being trolled by right-wing nationalists.

Pronouns: He/Him

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 13:10 - Jan 21 with 2455 viewsSwansea_Blue

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 10:59 - Jan 21 by gordon

Quite staggering that isn't it? A perfect example of a mindset that's been far too common throughout the whole issue.

I'm not sure what's worse - that she's whining about the UK not being represented in an organisation she wants to leave; or that she doesn't recognise that the people that elect the MEPs hold them to account; or that in some way she thought that the Brexiteers in the EU parliament were actually holding the other MEPs to account.

Whichever way you look at it, it's feckwittery of the highest order.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 13:11 - Jan 21 with 2446 viewsHerbivore

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 13:08 - Jan 21 by Darth_Koont

This is Brexit in a nutshell.

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 13:16 - Jan 21 with 2434 viewsHARRY10

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 12:59 - Jan 21 by chicoazul

I sort of agree with your summary, but then again I don't.

What a lot of English people forget about continental Europe is they have suffered great privations in living memory at the hands of dictators. Greece Spain Germany Italy the former Eastern Bloc states and the Balkan states all under direct rule by maniacs and fruitloops very recently, and France Holland and Belgium in particular got their rissoles torn out at their hands. The EU is definitely a response to those special situations. And many many people in your Scotlands and Irelands look on us English in a similar way, as an imposed dictatorship.

We have never had this in our country, well, not since Cromwell. So we don't have the eidetic memory those places can call on that makes the EU and it's lack of borders & fanatical egalitarianism seem a perfectly natural normal civilised way to live, which in many ways it is. But it just isn't English.

Or in treality they have, as most in the UK have, come to recognise that the petty bureaucray, checks and tariffs which the brexiteers favour are a hindrance to prosperity - hence the Single Market. And hence brexit bringing in checks between mainland UK and Northern Ireland.

Imagine how stupid this would be were it to be introduced between Suffolk and Norfolk, Essex, Cambs.

And the bizarre phrase ' fanatical egalitarianism' rather sums up brexiteers. A thought that we should all be regarded equal must seem repellant to
the cap doffing brexiteers who believe we should all 'know our place' and look up to such as Johnson, Rees-Mogg and other 'betters'.

These brexit luddites will soon be sept away by a tide of their own mortality and technological advancement
Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 19:46 - Jan 21 with 2351 viewseireblue

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 12:48 - Jan 21 by NewcyBlue

Our union has said it might take some time for the EU to ratify our standards of training to start issuing certificates of equivalent competency again.

This will limit the flags of vessels that Brits can sail on. Joining ship in EU countries has always been a straight forward affair, this will no doubt become more of an effort.

Still, at least we have managed to outsource making our blue passports to the French....

I wouldn’t worry about things like that.

The government have thought some of this through, see all you need to do is hire shipping and ferry companies that don’t have ships. Do you see?

Moving people and goods around is very much similar to retrieving a plastic brick from a swimming pool. Many people can do this even whilst wearing pyjamas, and the UK has a pretty robust certification scheme as well.
Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 19:48 - Jan 21 with 2351 viewsjas0999

I no longer care. The whole thing is an embarrassing shambles. No political party or individual MP comes out of this with any credit,
Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 19:55 - Jan 21 with 2340 viewsvapour_trail

I’m feeling hopeful that you enjoy the big night TLB.

A question in response if I may.

How many times do you think you’ll jizz in your union jack kecks?

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 19:57 - Jan 21 with 2327 viewsfooters

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 19:55 - Jan 21 by vapour_trail

I’m feeling hopeful that you enjoy the big night TLB.

A question in response if I may.

How many times do you think you’ll jizz in your union jack kecks?

Got a weird impulse to go down and see it for meself. Should be some party!

Could do a live blog on here if enough interest.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 21:30 - Jan 21 with 2270 viewsbazgammon

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 09:13 - Jan 21 by artsbossbeard

In 9 days I'm a little islander with a regressive attitude.

Guthrum's got it spot on:

Integrated travel, the ability to live and work in each other's countries, lack of borders and customs posts, having a forum for regional dispute arbiration. Those are the bits which I will most miss. I'm not keen on increased insularism (poorly veiled by nods to more distant and lesser trading partners, plus a dependence upon the USA under its current Administration).
[Post edited 21 Jan 2020 9:17]

Boo hoo, I suggest you move to an EU country if you love the EU so much. How is it regressive to set your own laws and run your own country rather than be dictated to by a bunch of faceless bureaucrats who can't be voted out?

Poll: Lambert

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 21:33 - Jan 21 with 2258 viewsbazgammon

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 13:08 - Jan 21 by Darth_Koont

aren't you the guy who thinks Scottish Nationalism is fine a dandy but English Nationalism is 'Far right'?

Poll: Lambert

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 21:38 - Jan 21 with 2248 viewsDarth_Koont

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 21:30 - Jan 21 by bazgammon

Boo hoo, I suggest you move to an EU country if you love the EU so much. How is it regressive to set your own laws and run your own country rather than be dictated to by a bunch of faceless bureaucrats who can't be voted out?

I've moved abroad and lived in the EU. It's great and really opens your eyes - you should try it.

And are you talking about the bureaucrats that are elected and to whom the member governments dictate policy? Along with an elected chamber of MEPs who vote on things?

I'd take that over a future that's ben largely decided by lying, cheating unelected populists like Farage, Banks and whoever else. The sort of people who care nothing about anything and anyone other than themselves and their own vested interests.

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 21:38 - Jan 21 with 2245 viewsDarth_Koont

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 21:33 - Jan 21 by bazgammon

aren't you the guy who thinks Scottish Nationalism is fine a dandy but English Nationalism is 'Far right'?

Yes. You daft racist.

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 21:58 - Jan 21 with 2219 viewsLord_Lucan

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 10:10 - Jan 21 by gordon

The polling data would suggest otherwise (this is from Spring 2019)

Usual caveats apply, but the data would suggest that amongst our European friends we are uniquely daft.

Gordy, you should try speaking to people, it's good for the mind.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024