Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union 00:52 - Jan 21 with 26253 viewsThe_Last_Baron

How are we all feeling about this impending historic moment?

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 21:29 - Jan 22 with 2844 viewsjeera

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 21:26 - Jan 22 by Vic

Damn, I hadn’t realized we’d need liras for Spain, francs for France or marks for Germany. I assumed we’d just use the Euro, like we do now.

And I hadn’t realized they were going to reintroduce internal checks and every national border just for us Brits if we went for Brexit.

Going to be a real pain and I’m going to France later this year. Any suggestions where I can get the best £ to Franc rates?

All you've done there is ignore all his points and invent another scenario that suits you.

You do this a lot.

When you travel, do make sure you're heavily insured for all eventualities.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 21:37 - Jan 22 with 2830 viewsBlueNomad

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 20:06 - Jan 22 by The_Last_Baron

The division sir was totally crested by remoaners refusing to accept the result of a democratic referendum and doing everything to ensure it wasn't implemented.

Brexiteers have no problem with people who voted remain and who accept the result. It's the doom mongers of remoan who still refuse to accept the result who have acted disgracefully.

Any triumphantism will be directed at them and rightly so. When I raise a glass of Monet at 11pm on the 31st at Parliament Square I'll be thinking of the battle won and the future. I'll be wearing a huge smile and thinking good things. The defeated won't even enter my thinking.

You sound like someone who pontificates in ‘Spoons every morning. A proper Brit!
Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 21:37 - Jan 22 with 2835 viewsVic

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 21:29 - Jan 22 by jeera

All you've done there is ignore all his points and invent another scenario that suits you.

You do this a lot.

When you travel, do make sure you're heavily insured for all eventualities.

I think you may have me confuse with another poster jeera; I haven’t posted much for ages!

But apologies if I missed the point he was trying to make.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 22:20 - Jan 22 with 2807 viewsHARRY10

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 20:27 - Jan 22 by Churchman

So in summary, you are saying that because we are a tiny little insignificant country with 1% of the worlds population we are going to be bullied by the EU, US, China etc and will have no influence on what they decide. We are just a tiny little rusty tramp steamer at the mercy of Uboats, Luftwaffe and the Tirpitz.

So you are not optimistic then.

nd the Tirpitz didn't at all being holed up on the Norwegian coast.

The point of the analogy was to shpow that being part of a larger group will always be better when it comes to trade, Whicj is something you brexiteers in all your stupidity fil to grasp. Just as I suspect you are not aware of much of the rest of the world being in similar geographical based trading groups (see)

https://www.trade.gov/mas/ian/referenceinfo/tg_ian_001874.asp

as brexiteers seem to imagine that the UK is breaking from a harsh and dominating oppressor to join the rest of the 'free' world, whereas the realiyy is the UK will now be on it's own. A small voice alone in a big world.

Of course this is hard to accept for those brought up on the tales of the British Empire and 1950's war films.The idea that those tasked to negotiate on behave of their country will seek to get the best deal possible.

The UK now has to find enough trained negotitors to organise deals with 70 odd countries that it previously had a deal with by being a member of the EU. And you think that the bigger ones who are up to 20 times bigger than the UK will not seek to improve their lot.

This has already been seen in the past couple of weeks. A basic grasp of how deals are struck gives me the certainty you appear to bemoan. Why not instead, ask yourself why this is all falling apart so quickly. Why there is to be a border between mainland UK and Northern Ireland, why it is the EU who are deciding when the talks will begin ? What happened to the 'easiest of deals' ? Or even the now long fogotten claim that the EU always backs down at the last minute ?

There is to be no UK membership of EFTA as once claimed. Even yesterday's Daily Telegraph accepyed " The European Union is preparing to offer the UK a trade deal on tougher terms than its deals with Canada, Japan and a host of other leading trade partners."

Take a look at CETA and how ot has benifited both the EU and Canada, or the recently signed trade deal between the EU and Japan then ask yourself how on earth the UK benefits from walking away from those, but think both Canada and Japan are not only going to offer those deals but better them ............ as you fools have been told and believe.

The world is growing small and working closer. It is only protectionist idiots such as Trump and the mad brexiteers who think that standing alone will benefit them. You brexiteers are the horse drawn cart in the era of the combustion engine. A backward, and outdated sect trying to cling onto the past, fearful of progression and fearful of progressive thought.
Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 22:27 - Jan 22 with 2789 viewsBlueNomad

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 22:20 - Jan 22 by HARRY10

The point of the analogy was to shpow that being part of a larger group will always be better when it comes to trade, Whicj is something you brexiteers in all your stupidity fil to grasp. Just as I suspect you are not aware of much of the rest of the world being in similar geographical based trading groups (see)

as brexiteers seem to imagine that the UK is breaking from a harsh and dominating oppressor to join the rest of the 'free' world, whereas the realiyy is the UK will now be on it's own. A small voice alone in a big world.

Of course this is hard to accept for those brought up on the tales of the British Empire and 1950's war films.The idea that those tasked to negotiate on behave of their country will seek to get the best deal possible.

The UK now has to find enough trained negotitors to organise deals with 70 odd countries that it previously had a deal with by being a member of the EU. And you think that the bigger ones who are up to 20 times bigger than the UK will not seek to improve their lot.

This has already been seen in the past couple of weeks. A basic grasp of how deals are struck gives me the certainty you appear to bemoan. Why not instead, ask yourself why this is all falling apart so quickly. Why there is to be a border between mainland UK and Northern Ireland, why it is the EU who are deciding when the talks will begin ? What happened to the 'easiest of deals' ? Or even the now long fogotten claim that the EU always backs down at the last minute ?

There is to be no UK membership of EFTA as once claimed. Even yesterday's Daily Telegraph accepyed " The European Union is preparing to offer the UK a trade deal on tougher terms than its deals with Canada, Japan and a host of other leading trade partners."

Take a look at CETA and how ot has benifited both the EU and Canada, or the recently signed trade deal between the EU and Japan then ask yourself how on earth the UK benefits from walking away from those, but think both Canada and Japan are not only going to offer those deals but better them ............ as you fools have been told and believe.

The world is growing small and working closer. It is only protectionist idiots such as Trump and the mad brexiteers who think that standing alone will benefit them. You brexiteers are the horse drawn cart in the era of the combustion engine. A backward, and outdated sect trying to cling onto the past, fearful of progression and fearful of progressive thought.

That, Harry, is brilliant. You totally demolish the Brexit cult with this.
Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 22:47 - Jan 22 with 2769 viewsHARRY10

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 22:27 - Jan 22 by BlueNomad

That, Harry, is brilliant. You totally demolish the Brexit cult with this.

'Brexit cult'

I though my spelling was bad enough
Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 23:32 - Jan 22 with 2753 viewsChurchman

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 22:20 - Jan 22 by HARRY10

I threw in Tirpitz because Dudley Pound’s order for convoy PQ17 to ‘scatter’ in 1942, and promptly get massacred, was because of his misplaced fear that the battleship had broken out.

You use the phrase ‘you brexiteers’ ‘fools’ ‘Idiots’ and ‘outdated sect’ in response to my post. You will find no post of mine that says I voted for Brexit in 2016. But even if I had voted to leave, using phrases and words like this is disrespectful and does not promote healthy discussion. Many friends and acquaintances of mine voted leave and still would for all sorts of reasons and while we’ve had many a heated debate, language like that has never been used. Just like you and others on this board they are entitled to their view and are by no means stupid.

You appear to have 100% certainty about how this is all going to play out over the next 11 months in your posts. I presume from your post you are a trained negotiator in international trade deals or something similar rather that somebody that reads the Guardian a lot. It’s certainly not for me to challenge your knowledge.

I’d be interested to know though which country is 20 times bigger than the UK in economic terms. In GDP, I thought the US was about 7 times larger and they, by country, are certainly the UKs biggest trading partner at the moment.
Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 23:50 - Jan 22 with 2741 viewsHerbivore

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 20:06 - Jan 22 by The_Last_Baron

The division sir was totally crested by remoaners refusing to accept the result of a democratic referendum and doing everything to ensure it wasn't implemented.

Brexiteers have no problem with people who voted remain and who accept the result. It's the doom mongers of remoan who still refuse to accept the result who have acted disgracefully.

Any triumphantism will be directed at them and rightly so. When I raise a glass of Monet at 11pm on the 31st at Parliament Square I'll be thinking of the battle won and the future. I'll be wearing a huge smile and thinking good things. The defeated won't even enter my thinking.

It's weird that someone professing to be an adult gets their kicks trolling people (badly) on a football message board. You might want to reflect on how tragic your life must be that this is how you spend your time.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 23:52 - Jan 22 with 2743 viewsDarth_Koont

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 23:32 - Jan 22 by Churchman

I threw in Tirpitz because Dudley Pound’s order for convoy PQ17 to ‘scatter’ in 1942, and promptly get massacred, was because of his misplaced fear that the battleship had broken out.

You use the phrase ‘you brexiteers’ ‘fools’ ‘Idiots’ and ‘outdated sect’ in response to my post. You will find no post of mine that says I voted for Brexit in 2016. But even if I had voted to leave, using phrases and words like this is disrespectful and does not promote healthy discussion. Many friends and acquaintances of mine voted leave and still would for all sorts of reasons and while we’ve had many a heated debate, language like that has never been used. Just like you and others on this board they are entitled to their view and are by no means stupid.

You appear to have 100% certainty about how this is all going to play out over the next 11 months in your posts. I presume from your post you are a trained negotiator in international trade deals or something similar rather that somebody that reads the Guardian a lot. It’s certainly not for me to challenge your knowledge.

I’d be interested to know though which country is 20 times bigger than the UK in economic terms. In GDP, I thought the US was about 7 times larger and they, by country, are certainly the UKs biggest trading partner at the moment.

You’re speaking on behalf of Brexiteers?!!

I know they can’t find a justification between them (and neither can you). But is this what it has come to?

Pronouns: He/Him

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 23:58 - Jan 22 with 2731 viewsChurchman

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 23:52 - Jan 22 by Darth_Koont

You’re speaking on behalf of Brexiteers?!!

I know they can’t find a justification between them (and neither can you). But is this what it has come to?

I only speak on their right to express their views and be respected. The reverse equally applies.

You will find no post of mine that ever said I voted for this unnecessary mess but my thoughts (and interest since the yes no debate is over) is really about what happens now. It will certainly be interesting.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2020 0:05]
Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 00:01 - Jan 23 with 2723 viewsDarth_Koont

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 23:58 - Jan 22 by Churchman

I only speak on their right to express their views and be respected. The reverse equally applies.

You will find no post of mine that ever said I voted for this unnecessary mess but my thoughts (and interest since the yes no debate is over) is really about what happens now. It will certainly be interesting.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2020 0:05]

Yes. It’s the Brexiteers’ rights that need to be defended here.

Pronouns: He/Him

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 00:05 - Jan 23 with 2714 viewsHARRY10

That the Tirpitz did not leave port merely backs what I stated - and that PQ17 lost so many ships also reaffirms my point about how vunerable a lone ship is.

My points about what will happen do not require any more knowledge than a fairly rudimentary understanding of how deals are made. The relevant point being those with bigger clout will always tend to get the better deal.

As to my media reading being limited to the Guardian it might be noted that my only quoted media reference was from the Daily Telegraph.

As to the words I use I refer you to your own words "d they are entitled to their view" - and if my view can be best expressed by using those words then so be it. Maybe they should 'up their game' and put out something credible. But then as you say "Many friends and acquaintances of mine voted leave and still would for all sorts of reasons " which rather suggests a closed mind. One borne of dogma and ignorance rather than any reasoned view based on facts and evidence.

And finally, I never stated " 20 times bigger than the UK in economic terms" so do try to reply to what I actually posted.
Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 00:15 - Jan 23 with 2701 viewstractordownsouth

"Brexiteers have no problem with people who voted remain and who accept the result. It's the doom mongers of remoan who still refuse to accept the result who have acted disgracefully"

Playing the victim card there... There's as many leave idiots who think remainers are all liberal elite/traitors as there are remain idiots who think leave voters are all stupid racists... both opinions are ridiculous, it's not a one way street where one side is gracious and the other is a rabble.

Are you pleased that our new government has voted to strip child refugees of their rights post- Brexit? Is this the glorious future you voted for? Don't remember the bus with that on the side.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 00:20 - Jan 23 with 2698 viewsjeera

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 21:37 - Jan 22 by Vic

I think you may have me confuse with another poster jeera; I haven’t posted much for ages!

But apologies if I missed the point he was trying to make.

Take no notice - I didn't mean to be snotty.

You posted something a few days ago that I didn't like and then just again.

We simply have opposing views on this and aren't going to meet in the middle on this one.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 00:37 - Jan 23 with 2692 viewsChurchman

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 00:05 - Jan 23 by HARRY10

That the Tirpitz did not leave port merely backs what I stated - and that PQ17 lost so many ships also reaffirms my point about how vunerable a lone ship is.

My points about what will happen do not require any more knowledge than a fairly rudimentary understanding of how deals are made. The relevant point being those with bigger clout will always tend to get the better deal.

As to my media reading being limited to the Guardian it might be noted that my only quoted media reference was from the Daily Telegraph.

As to the words I use I refer you to your own words "d they are entitled to their view" - and if my view can be best expressed by using those words then so be it. Maybe they should 'up their game' and put out something credible. But then as you say "Many friends and acquaintances of mine voted leave and still would for all sorts of reasons " which rather suggests a closed mind. One borne of dogma and ignorance rather than any reasoned view based on facts and evidence.

And finally, I never stated " 20 times bigger than the UK in economic terms" so do try to reply to what I actually posted.

In terms of what will happen what do you mean rudimentary understanding of how deals are made?

I always think it best to use language the way you would use it face to face. If you use phrases like that face to face, fine.

Closed mind? Does that not depend on their reasons? As for facts and evidence, the validity of that depends on what they are and how they are used. For example, I hear and know how long it took Japan etc to negotiate any sort of deal with the EU. But the EU and the UK are negotiating from the same starting point which I believe is pretty unique. In addition, large chunks have already been agreed - again pretty unique. You may be right and the one thing I’d have done in 2016 is buy in the best negotiators I could. That was one of many things I believe the tories in their arrogance got badly wrong.

You quoted Guardian and Spectator elsewhere. My warning on media is that most of it in relation to Brexit is half truths and made up. I know this from personal experience.

If not in GDP terms in what sense did you mean 20x bigger? Geography and population are of course irrelevant
[Post edited 23 Jan 2020 0:40]
Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 04:22 - Jan 23 with 2646 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 10:17 - Jan 21 by 26_Paz

Excited and proud. It will be a fine day. Congratulations to all those who dared to dream.

Get a grip.

I know little compared to so many on this forum about politics but I just have to say that if you are someone who’s dream was leaving the EU, you ought to get a life.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 05:46 - Jan 23 with 2624 viewsGaryCooper

'When I raise a glass of Monet'

Is that a impression of a glass?
Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 07:04 - Jan 23 with 2602 viewsHARRY10

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 00:37 - Jan 23 by Churchman

In terms of what will happen what do you mean rudimentary understanding of how deals are made?

I always think it best to use language the way you would use it face to face. If you use phrases like that face to face, fine.

Closed mind? Does that not depend on their reasons? As for facts and evidence, the validity of that depends on what they are and how they are used. For example, I hear and know how long it took Japan etc to negotiate any sort of deal with the EU. But the EU and the UK are negotiating from the same starting point which I believe is pretty unique. In addition, large chunks have already been agreed - again pretty unique. You may be right and the one thing I’d have done in 2016 is buy in the best negotiators I could. That was one of many things I believe the tories in their arrogance got badly wrong.

You quoted Guardian and Spectator elsewhere. My warning on media is that most of it in relation to Brexit is half truths and made up. I know this from personal experience.

If not in GDP terms in what sense did you mean 20x bigger? Geography and population are of course irrelevant
[Post edited 23 Jan 2020 0:40]

Understanding ?

As rudimentary as this,

"Last year in February the US sent an 11 pages long document to the UK listing the US "objectives" that the UK has to meet for a trade deal with the US. It makes interesting reading.

Among other things, the UK has to adopt a regulatory level playing field with the US (adopt the US rulebook). Even if it harms the UK’s own interests, the UK cannot do anything in the way of international trade that would harm US interests. The document states:

"Obtain commitment that the UK will not foreclose export opportunities to the United States with respect to third-country export markets, including by requiring third countries to align with non-science based restrictions and requirements or to adopt SPS measures that are not based on ascertainable risk."

Does that make it a half truth because it was posted in the media ?

Whatever negotiators should have been hired in 2016 would not have made the slightest difference. Any failing up to now is one of fools believing liars .And what follows from now can be seen against the above ie the lies promised are not going to happen.

As to comparative size it is about the size of the maket a country is looking to sell into. In the EU we are part of a market of 550m(?) consumers, we are now around 60m. Our position in respect of trade has dimished considerable in regard to countries with a huge population that are expanding both production aand consumption at a rapid pacw.

Trade deals are based on trade over a long period. What has the UK to offer that is better than the EU ? Are India, Brazil, China etc going to prioritise negotiations with the UK over the EU ?

I would take a long hard look at the last sentence I quoted (above). To clarify, the UK has to abide with what the US wants or no deal. Which means any close alignment with the EU is unacceptable.mSo no close alignment with the EU means no tariff free trade - as explained yesterday by Ursula von der Leyen. That is the reality, and it is only the beginning. You do not have to have some profound knowledge to grasp the implications of those conflicting demands from the EU and the US.

You just have to be willing to open your eyes and not be bound by a blind faith in habitual liars, and have a seemingly pathological distrust of facts and evidence which seems to be the norm for brexiteers.
Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 08:16 - Jan 23 with 2563 viewsNewcyBlue

Your Tirpitz analogy doesn’t make much sense. Or any really.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 08:17 - Jan 23 with 2562 viewsitfcjoe

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 20:18 - Jan 22 by Darth_Koont

And the lesson here is: Never argue with an idiot, Irish Blue.

It gets stupid very quickly.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 08:28 - Jan 23 with 2541 viewsNewcyBlue

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 00:05 - Jan 23 by HARRY10

Can you landlubbers not use ships as analogies?

A lone ship is less vulnerable, being grouped together making a larger target makes ships more vulnerable. Larger targets are easier to spot. In a convoy your ability to make bold alterations of course and speed are limited.

We have a couple of RN matelots on here who will be able better educate you in the art of seafaring warfare.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 08:30 - Jan 23 with 2535 viewsChurchman

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 08:16 - Jan 23 by NewcyBlue

Your Tirpitz analogy doesn’t make much sense. Or any really.

The Tirpitz was a little addition to Harry10s analogy ‘you don't leave a WW2 convoy believing that as a single merchant ship you stand a better chance against a u-boat wolf pack....... unfortunately brexiteers to think you do‘ (message 20.07 yesterday) and a bit of a red herring. In my opinion, I do not believe it is a correct analogy any more than I believe anyone truly knows the outcome of the next 11 months.
Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 08:51 - Jan 23 with 2521 viewsHARRY10

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 08:30 - Jan 23 by Churchman

The Tirpitz was a little addition to Harry10s analogy ‘you don't leave a WW2 convoy believing that as a single merchant ship you stand a better chance against a u-boat wolf pack....... unfortunately brexiteers to think you do‘ (message 20.07 yesterday) and a bit of a red herring. In my opinion, I do not believe it is a correct analogy any more than I believe anyone truly knows the outcome of the next 11 months.

Not a red herring at all.

And nobody is predicting how the next 11 months will turn out. What is being done is not prediction, just pointing out how the lies will not be fulfilled

However do feel free to explain why there is no conflict between the requirements of the EU and the US.,

Explain why there is now to be a border between the GB and NI.

Or suggest where the UK is going to find experienced negotiators to sort out 70 odd trade deals over the next 11 months

As said. It is not about prediction.... other than to point out the claims (predictions) made by brexiteers are not going to hsppen. That is not prediction, that is reality.
Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 08:58 - Jan 23 with 2508 viewsGlasgowBlue

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 08:51 - Jan 23 by HARRY10

Not a red herring at all.

And nobody is predicting how the next 11 months will turn out. What is being done is not prediction, just pointing out how the lies will not be fulfilled

However do feel free to explain why there is no conflict between the requirements of the EU and the US.,

Explain why there is now to be a border between the GB and NI.

Or suggest where the UK is going to find experienced negotiators to sort out 70 odd trade deals over the next 11 months

As said. It is not about prediction.... other than to point out the claims (predictions) made by brexiteers are not going to hsppen. That is not prediction, that is reality.

Didn’t you predict that there was no way we were ever leaving the EU and that Boris Johnson would not win the general election.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 09:08 - Jan 23 with 2496 viewsHARRY10

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 08:58 - Jan 23 by GlasgowBlue

Didn’t you predict that there was no way we were ever leaving the EU and that Boris Johnson would not win the general election.

err, you don't seem to have quite grasped this, so

This is NOT about predictions - it is about pointing out what has been claimed will not, as it cannot, happen.

There is a difference.

I can predict where town will finish - however claiming that they will definitely finish in the top half of the PL is not going to happen

And as the UK is going to be pretty much tied to the EU for the next three years I still hold to my claim that the UK will not leave.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024