Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union 00:52 - Jan 21 with 25995 viewsThe_Last_Baron

How are we all feeling about this impending historic moment?

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 10:04 - Jan 22 with 3605 viewschicoazul

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 08:39 - Jan 22 by gordon

Indomitably so.

There is one slight flaw in your argument, though. The problem with polls and polling data is that people don't always say what they really mean, for whatever reason, as we both know.

Your 'talk to the people' theory of understanding the mood of a nation has a lot going for it, except that at it's heart it's actually just another way of conducting a poll. As such it's subject to all the same weaknesses as professionally conducted polls. What was your sample size again?

Not aimed at you but in general we really need to move away from this "polls are or can be a load of rubbish" memetic on here, because they aren't. The vast vast majority of polls are conducted for consumer research and they are almost always spot on. Political polls are used by political people to reinforce their own arguments. That doesnt mean the poll itself whatever it says is rubbish.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 10:06 - Jan 22 with 3595 viewschicoazul

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 09:08 - Jan 22 by artsbossbeard

I don't think it will or can change??

My point was more about accessibility and ease of travel rather than the eurocrats hindering matters.

The accessibility and ease of travel you currently enjoy isn't going away unless those cheeky blighters in the EU decide it should, and I highly doubt they will.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 10:08 - Jan 22 with 3591 viewsStokieBlue

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 10:04 - Jan 22 by chicoazul

Not aimed at you but in general we really need to move away from this "polls are or can be a load of rubbish" memetic on here, because they aren't. The vast vast majority of polls are conducted for consumer research and they are almost always spot on. Political polls are used by political people to reinforce their own arguments. That doesnt mean the poll itself whatever it says is rubbish.

Indeed.

It has become a self-perpetuating belief that polls are now totally wrong when in fact they got it wrong badly a few years back and everyone has just seized on that rather than looking at a larger sample where they are usually pretty good (latest election being a case in point).

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 10:12 - Jan 22 with 3576 viewsDarth_Koont

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 10:04 - Jan 22 by chicoazul

Agreed.

There's also a major difference between statistical evidence and the evidence of your own experiences. One is predominantly quantitative and the other is predominantly qualitative.

Which is great in combination but pretty useless if you're putting one up against the other to argue some sort of equivalence.

Pronouns: He/Him

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 11:09 - Jan 22 with 3539 viewsellerblue

Being retired and living in Germany the 31st will be the day i am no longer recognized as being an European citizen, i will be waiting for my letter from my local foreigners office telling me the terms for applying for a foreigners residence card required for a third world country national . As for travel the only time it will cause any inconvienence is returning from Uk and that is that i will have to join another line from my frau, as in Europe there are no border checks still be able to go shopping in Holland etc. As i am retired no problems about work although some brits are on contracts that are for european citizens but most of them have obtained dual citizenship either German or Irish predominately if they havent they could at the worst have their contract terminated . My only concern is regarding health care, it will continue in the transition period and hopefully after, can you imagine all the retirees in spain etc being told that they will have to pay for their medical care, the nhs could not cope with all the retirees returning home. Obviously i voted remain but democracy won so i accept the outcome. So i will sit here drinking my good quality german one euro beer and say good luck to the brexiteers and be wary of what you wish for greetings from a soon to be a non european citizen COYB an afterthought if we get to wembley for the play off final can anyone get me a ticket

Heinsberg Blue

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 11:38 - Jan 22 with 3487 viewsgordon

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 10:08 - Jan 22 by StokieBlue

Indeed.

It has become a self-perpetuating belief that polls are now totally wrong when in fact they got it wrong badly a few years back and everyone has just seized on that rather than looking at a larger sample where they are usually pretty good (latest election being a case in point).

SB

I think in the context of UK elections (because of the vagaries of first past the post) the difference between a party getting e.g. 34% and 37% of the vote can be enormous in terms of seats, and so it can often seem like the polls have 'got it wrong again,' when actually the results were within the confidence intervals of the polls.

There should be more effort made to communicate confidence intervals around polling, though, I think that's one of the reasons for the cynicism.
Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 18:48 - Jan 22 with 3434 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 09:18 - Jan 22 by Swansea_Blue

It's a project that's been sold to most people around intangible jingoistic ideology. "Take back control", "democracy", "freedom", rebuilding the imperial spirit and "making Britain great again", blah, blah, blah.

Some leavers will have first hand experience of the EU system and may have been failed by it. There are some genuine problems around gangs being shipped in to work in the contracting sector that increases competition, for example. (But then countering that there are also opportunities for Brits to go and work/contract easily in the EU).

But in the majority of cases I suspect most 'leavers' are simply people who've been wound up by the press and the leave camp to be passionate about something they've never directly experienced or been negatively impacted by. And they're probably unaware of many of the boring benefits from alignment and close cooperation. That's certainly the case with my old man - he's never set foot in another EU country and has no direct links at all, but is adamant that it's essential that we leave for no defined reason.

So it's no surprise some leavers can't meaningfully describe what they're looking forward to, other than in those jingoistic terms used to recruit them in the first place.

We are out so accept it and move on with your life. Leaving the European Union is going to be bigly.

Next I'm campaigning for the Irish to rid themselves of this nonsense, then it'll be on to the Netherlands, Italy, Portugal, Poland, Czechia and Hungary. We are going to bring this beast down.

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 19:05 - Jan 22 with 3393 viewsNthsuffolkblue

How am I feeling? A little less depressed now I have accepted the larger minority of the electorate have given Boris his clear mandate to choose whatever version of Brexit he wants to force on us all.

I feel sorry for those who will suffer most but aside from a total collapse of our economy I will suffer far less than most. It is the poor and my children I feel most for but I have given up banging my head against a brick wall talking to the older generation who wanted it and thought they would vote out and we would just leave the following day.

What a sad state of affairs there are still people who are celebrating "winning" this. The division they continue to promote and revel in sums them up.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 19:10 - Jan 22 with 3386 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 18:48 - Jan 22 by The_Last_Baron

We are out so accept it and move on with your life. Leaving the European Union is going to be bigly.

Next I'm campaigning for the Irish to rid themselves of this nonsense, then it'll be on to the Netherlands, Italy, Portugal, Poland, Czechia and Hungary. We are going to bring this beast down.

What does "bigly" even mean? Maybe you can give an example of what will be bigly.

I am sure the Irish will soon be rid of it as the island is reunited and the north leaves the UK to be in the EU. It is the best solution for them.

Are you Farage with your odd venom towards the other member states of the EU?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 19:11 - Jan 22 with 3383 viewsgordon

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 18:48 - Jan 22 by The_Last_Baron

Great, stuff, good luck with all that. Glad to hear that you're moving on with your life in such a positive way.
Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 19:12 - Jan 22 with 3403 viewsHerbivore

Really don't know why your trolling is tolerated. You have nothing to say.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 19:13 - Jan 22 with 3403 viewsHARRY10

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 08:57 - Jan 21 by GlasgowBlue

Meh. Never understood people’s emotional attachment to a trading organisation and don’t understand people’s emotional attachment to leaving it.

Probably because you don't understand that the former is not one of emotion.
Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 19:41 - Jan 22 with 3385 viewsDanTheMan

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 19:10 - Jan 22 by Nthsuffolkblue

What does "bigly" even mean? Maybe you can give an example of what will be bigly.

I am sure the Irish will soon be rid of it as the island is reunited and the north leaves the UK to be in the EU. It is the best solution for them.

Are you Farage with your odd venom towards the other member states of the EU?

It's a Trumpism. What's interesting is to pick up using that sort of meme usually means you roll in certain internet circles, especially if you're not using it to take the piss.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 20:04 - Jan 22 with 3371 viewsEireannach_gorm

Good luck with your Irish campaign. Have you got the cúpla focail to converse with us in our native tongue or will you just talk loudly at us?
Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 20:06 - Jan 22 with 3370 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 19:05 - Jan 22 by Nthsuffolkblue

How am I feeling? A little less depressed now I have accepted the larger minority of the electorate have given Boris his clear mandate to choose whatever version of Brexit he wants to force on us all.

I feel sorry for those who will suffer most but aside from a total collapse of our economy I will suffer far less than most. It is the poor and my children I feel most for but I have given up banging my head against a brick wall talking to the older generation who wanted it and thought they would vote out and we would just leave the following day.

What a sad state of affairs there are still people who are celebrating "winning" this. The division they continue to promote and revel in sums them up.

The division sir was totally crested by remoaners refusing to accept the result of a democratic referendum and doing everything to ensure it wasn't implemented.

Brexiteers have no problem with people who voted remain and who accept the result. It's the doom mongers of remoan who still refuse to accept the result who have acted disgracefully.

Any triumphantism will be directed at them and rightly so. When I raise a glass of Monet at 11pm on the 31st at Parliament Square I'll be thinking of the battle won and the future. I'll be wearing a huge smile and thinking good things. The defeated won't even enter my thinking.

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 20:07 - Jan 22 with 3367 viewsHARRY10

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 19:05 - Jan 22 by Nthsuffolkblue

" Boris his clear mandate to choose whatever version of Brexit he wants "

and therein lies the problem as it will not be any decision of Johnson how this plays out and ends - as the past couple of weeks have shown

the EU will dictate what they want, and get, just as it will be the larger nations who dictate their terms, as shown today with the US warning off the UK on taxes on tech

this will be a year of retreat, backing down and concession in the spirit of lying in front of a bulldozer, dying in a ditch and leaving on the 31st Oct

you don't leave a WW2 convoy believing that as a single merchant ship you stand a better chance against a u-boat wolf pack....... unfortunately brexiteers to think you do
[Post edited 22 Jan 2020 20:13]
Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 20:11 - Jan 22 with 3364 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 20:04 - Jan 22 by Eireannach_gorm

Good luck with your Irish campaign. Have you got the cúpla focail to converse with us in our native tongue or will you just talk loudly at us?

The Rep of Ireland, a nation which is run by the EU lock, stock and barrel. Even the budget has to be signed off by Brussels due to the poor state of the nation's finances and the massive bailout it received over a decade ago. 7 billion pounds of which came from the UK.

You should be thanking me for supporting Irish independence from the EU carabunkle. It is destroying the Irish Republic.

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 20:14 - Jan 22 with 3360 viewsDarth_Koont

Haha.

You really are a prize idiot. The prize being magic beans.

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 20:18 - Jan 22 with 3345 viewsDarth_Koont

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 20:11 - Jan 22 by The_Last_Baron

The Rep of Ireland, a nation which is run by the EU lock, stock and barrel. Even the budget has to be signed off by Brussels due to the poor state of the nation's finances and the massive bailout it received over a decade ago. 7 billion pounds of which came from the UK.

You should be thanking me for supporting Irish independence from the EU carabunkle. It is destroying the Irish Republic.

And the lesson here is: Never argue with an idiot, Irish Blue.

It gets stupid very quickly.

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 20:20 - Jan 22 with 3335 viewsHARRY10

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 20:14 - Jan 22 by Darth_Koont

Haha.

You really are a prize idiot. The prize being magic beans.

I would say magic mushrooms given the bizarre stuff he is spoutung

but given that he is a brexiterr it is 'reasonably' lucid, as all the words appear to be in the right order .... just (I think)
Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 20:27 - Jan 22 with 3317 viewsChurchman

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 20:07 - Jan 22 by HARRY10

" Boris his clear mandate to choose whatever version of Brexit he wants "

and therein lies the problem as it will not be any decision of Johnson how this plays out and ends - as the past couple of weeks have shown

the EU will dictate what they want, and get, just as it will be the larger nations who dictate their terms, as shown today with the US warning off the UK on taxes on tech

this will be a year of retreat, backing down and concession in the spirit of lying in front of a bulldozer, dying in a ditch and leaving on the 31st Oct

you don't leave a WW2 convoy believing that as a single merchant ship you stand a better chance against a u-boat wolf pack....... unfortunately brexiteers to think you do
[Post edited 22 Jan 2020 20:13]

So in summary, you are saying that because we are a tiny little insignificant country with 1% of the worlds population we are going to be bullied by the EU, US, China etc and will have no influence on what they decide. We are just a tiny little rusty tramp steamer at the mercy of Uboats, Luftwaffe and the Tirpitz.

So you are not optimistic then.
Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 20:33 - Jan 22 with 3305 viewsDarth_Koont

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 20:27 - Jan 22 by Churchman

So in summary, you are saying that because we are a tiny little insignificant country with 1% of the worlds population we are going to be bullied by the EU, US, China etc and will have no influence on what they decide. We are just a tiny little rusty tramp steamer at the mercy of Uboats, Luftwaffe and the Tirpitz.

So you are not optimistic then.

Somewhere in all that there seems to be the assumption that the rest of the world will come to our aid in a trade war ...

Or did I read that wrong?

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 20:45 - Jan 22 with 3288 viewsChurchman

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 20:33 - Jan 22 by Darth_Koont

Somewhere in all that there seems to be the assumption that the rest of the world will come to our aid in a trade war ...

Or did I read that wrong?

Oh I am making no assumptions like that. Nobody ever comes to anybody’s aid in that sense unless it’s in their interests. That’s the big mistake people make about the so called ‘Special Relationship’ with the US. For them it was a transaction that the UK paid through the nose for right through to 2006. There never was or is a ‘special relationship’

No, given Harry10 posted with such certainty I just wanted to clarify a few things.
Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 20:48 - Jan 22 with 3279 viewsDarth_Koont

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 20:45 - Jan 22 by Churchman

Oh I am making no assumptions like that. Nobody ever comes to anybody’s aid in that sense unless it’s in their interests. That’s the big mistake people make about the so called ‘Special Relationship’ with the US. For them it was a transaction that the UK paid through the nose for right through to 2006. There never was or is a ‘special relationship’

No, given Harry10 posted with such certainty I just wanted to clarify a few things.

Not much clarification there.

I suggest you say what you really mean.

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 21:26 - Jan 22 with 3250 viewsVic

Ten days until the UK leaves the European Union on 08:29 - Jan 22 by artsbossbeard

Morning Baz, thanks for the reply and I can assure you that there's no tears involved, just a shrug of the shoulders to our own insular and inward looking future really.

Whilst I've got your ear, Myself, a perpetually hapless and sometimes dishevelled Lucan plus a few others visited Amsterdam back in November last year to enjoy a few libations and Underworld at the Ziggo Arena (and maybe not in that order!! am I right, Baz ;)

Anyhoo, after getting the overnight ferry to Hook of Holland, we found ourselves in Rotterdam train station waiting for the fast train to Amsterdam and a quick look up at the departures board confirmed that the whole of Europe is at your fingertips - Barcelona, Milan, Rome, Madrid, Berlin, Cologne, Paris, Lille, the list goes on and on, Baz.

All destinations easily reachable by a train journey, no borders and the use of the same currency (no need for your travellers cheques here, Baz) plus you can even take your pet along to Sitges beach for the day (Sir Bob's favourite)! Isn't it wonderful?

No Brexit right or wrong here, Baz, just pointing out how excellent our European cousins have made things for each other.

Still, we've got Blackpool and Skeggie to explore with relative ease. What's your holiday plans, Baz?

Damn, I hadn’t realized we’d need liras for Spain, francs for France or marks for Germany. I assumed we’d just use the Euro, like we do now.

And I hadn’t realized they were going to reintroduce internal checks and every national border just for us Brits if we went for Brexit.

Going to be a real pain and I’m going to France later this year. Any suggestions where I can get the best £ to Franc rates?

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024