Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us 10:50 - May 19 with 12114 viewsportmanking

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/peterboro

Basically saying that there is a growing appetite among League 1 teams to end the season now, avoid weighted PPG or non-weighted PPG and go straight into an eight-team playoff with the 3rd to 10th placed teams as is.
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:29 - May 19 with 1045 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:25 - May 19 by BrixtonBlue

Of course it's possible, just as it's possible we'd make the play offs - particularly with players back from injury and the easy games we have left. I'd say we had a very decent chance of making 6th given those parameters.

I'm trying to look at it without attaching any emotion to it. It's a fact we still could make the play offs and thus promotion. If we're denied that chance now then yes, we would miss out because of a global pandemic. Whether that sounds like a Lambert excuse is neither here nor there, it's a fact.

‘We had a very decent chance of making 6th’

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:29 - May 19 with 1044 viewsLibero

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:28 - May 19 by BrixtonBlue

It's interesting how you've totally avoided his point that Gillingham have played easier games than us.

"easier games" is entirely subjective and grossly over simplifies the myriad of factors that go into deciding a football match, if it was as simple as there being easy and difficult games the bookies would be out of business.
[Post edited 19 May 2020 15:30]
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:30 - May 19 with 1040 viewsThe_Last_Baron

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 10:54 - May 19 by Dubtractor

I'd love it if somehow we managed to fluke going up out of this shambles of a season, but crikey that would be a bit of a bizarre way to do it. i'd be fuming if I was anything to do with Gillingham!

We beat Gillingham away and drew at home. We also have the easiest run in of the top ten teams. As bad as we've been I'd be confident we would have finished in the top ten.

If we somehow got into an eight team play-off competition I actually think we'd have a great chance of winning it.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:30 - May 19 with 1037 viewsSpruceMoose

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:28 - May 19 by BrixtonBlue

It's interesting how you've totally avoided his point that Gillingham have played easier games than us.

Easier games? This is just becoming a playground debate.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:31 - May 19 with 1039 viewsBrixtonBlue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 14:55 - May 19 by J2BLUE

Some of you need to get out more. Embarrassing? Have a word with yourselves.

It would be brilliant. We want to finish the season. On paper we still have a reasonable chance of the playoffs (the way our form was going it wasn't a genuine chance I admit). In empty stadiums with our squad we should do ok.

Lets not look a gift horse in the mouth if we get this opportunity.

Quite. It's amazing to read these posts on an ITFC forum. It's like they actually WANT us to fail!

WTF is wrong with these people?! Like you, I wouldn't be embarrassed, I'd be laughing my tiny tits off.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:32 - May 19 with 1030 viewsBrixtonBlue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:19 - May 19 by SpruceMoose

Dolly, in League One, we became the easy game for other teams.How many supposed easy games did we stuff up this season?

If the season had continued we'd be bottom half. Def info.

Lambert Out.

That's your opinion, not fact, though.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:32 - May 19 with 1027 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

No I haven’t

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us by C_HealyIsAPleasure 19 May 2020 14:33
PPG is the only measure that based solely on performances to date - anything else is speculative and makes assumptions about what would happen in future games, at which point you may aswell go the whole hog with statistical simulations and a computer deciding the standings

I’m sure Gillingham would also counter that respective form over the past 20 games indicates they would be far more likely to pickup more points than us in their remaining games than we would

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:32 - May 19 with 1028 viewsLibero

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:31 - May 19 by BrixtonBlue

Quite. It's amazing to read these posts on an ITFC forum. It's like they actually WANT us to fail!

WTF is wrong with these people?! Like you, I wouldn't be embarrassed, I'd be laughing my tiny tits off.

You've been rabid in this thread mate, probably best to step away for a bit.

I don't think any one in here wants us to fail, most are making comment on the validity/sporting integrity of the act of broadening the playoffs in such a way
- you disagree and think it would be fine, that's cool, we get it.
[Post edited 19 May 2020 15:35]
Login to get fewer ads

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:42 - May 19 with 1000 viewsm14_blue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 13:44 - May 19 by BrixtonBlue

I can't have an opinion on whether we deserve to go up or not as the season hasn't finished. If it did and we made the play offs, then won promotion from them, then yes, absolutely we'd deserve to go up.

If the rules changed to an 8 team play off that we won, then yes we'd deserve to go up.

EDIT: in response to "I'm not sure what I'm saying that anyone could disagree with" - you stated "we don’t deserve to go up or even have a shot at it." This is something that I could disagree with because it's patently not true. Before the season was suspended we deserved a shot at it by virtue of the fact that we could still make the play offs. Why should we now NOT deserve a shot at it because of a global pandemic out of our control?
[Post edited 19 May 2020 13:50]

By your logic Norwich should have a play off for a Europa league spot.

It’s just nonsense.

Yes, it would be great if we benefited from it from an Ipswich point of view but it would make the league an absolute farce.
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:50 - May 19 with 976 viewsBrixtonBlue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:26 - May 19 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

You’ve completely ignored the point made. Even if you accept that expanding the playoffs to 8 teams is reasonable, we still haven’t averaged enough points to get in

I've not ignored it at all. I'm disputing the need to even look at an average, because it doesn't take into account that some teams have played easier games than others.

The play off places aren't decided on averages, they're decided on the points gained at the end of the season having played everyone.

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:54 - May 19 with 968 viewsBrixtonBlue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:29 - May 19 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

‘We had a very decent chance of making 6th’

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yep. Our toughest matches are against sixth and ninth, with home matches against four of the bottom six. And we'd have several of our better players back from injury.

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:55 - May 19 with 966 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:50 - May 19 by BrixtonBlue

I've not ignored it at all. I'm disputing the need to even look at an average, because it doesn't take into account that some teams have played easier games than others.

The play off places aren't decided on averages, they're decided on the points gained at the end of the season having played everyone.

So to be clear, taking it that we can’t complete the season with everyone having played everyone, you think it’s fairer to guess how remaining games would have turned out rather than basing the standings on actual games played?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:56 - May 19 with 964 viewsBrixtonBlue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:29 - May 19 by Libero

"easier games" is entirely subjective and grossly over simplifies the myriad of factors that go into deciding a football match, if it was as simple as there being easy and difficult games the bookies would be out of business.
[Post edited 19 May 2020 15:30]

I don't think you understand bookies mate. Their odds REFLECT that there are easier games than others, and that's WHY they don't go out of business!

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:59 - May 19 with 951 viewspeterleeblue

The one reason why we should still be given a chance of promotion I cant see being levelled is that if the league were played out in full it would be like starting over. The idiosyncrasies of where we all were back in March may or not be relevant. On the basis the season was not completed we deserve our chance IMHO.
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:01 - May 19 with 940 viewsBrixtonBlue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:32 - May 19 by Libero

You've been rabid in this thread mate, probably best to step away for a bit.

I don't think any one in here wants us to fail, most are making comment on the validity/sporting integrity of the act of broadening the playoffs in such a way
- you disagree and think it would be fine, that's cool, we get it.
[Post edited 19 May 2020 15:35]

I'm just stating my point in answer to others. Sorry if you don't like my opinion but deal with it rather than asking me to step away.

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:02 - May 19 with 936 viewsLibero

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:56 - May 19 by BrixtonBlue

I don't think you understand bookies mate. Their odds REFLECT that there are easier games than others, and that's WHY they don't go out of business!

Ah, continuing with your rabid approach I see...
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:03 - May 19 with 932 viewsLibero

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:01 - May 19 by BrixtonBlue

I'm just stating my point in answer to others. Sorry if you don't like my opinion but deal with it rather than asking me to step away.

No issue with your opinion, just think you're making a bit of a tit out of yourself and may be unaware. You're aware/don't care, it's cool, as you were.
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:03 - May 19 with 930 viewsBrixtonBlue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:42 - May 19 by m14_blue

By your logic Norwich should have a play off for a Europa league spot.

It’s just nonsense.

Yes, it would be great if we benefited from it from an Ipswich point of view but it would make the league an absolute farce.

You'd have a point if play offs already existed for Europa league spots. This is merely extending a competition that already exists.

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:05 - May 19 with 920 viewsBrixtonBlue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:55 - May 19 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

So to be clear, taking it that we can’t complete the season with everyone having played everyone, you think it’s fairer to guess how remaining games would have turned out rather than basing the standings on actual games played?

Where have I said that? I've said I'm in favour of an extended play offs. I've been pretty clear on that.

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:05 - May 19 with 919 viewsm14_blue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:03 - May 19 by BrixtonBlue

You'd have a point if play offs already existed for Europa league spots. This is merely extending a competition that already exists.

But they still have a mathematical chance of finishing 6th so they deserve a shot at it?

Anyway, I don’t want to argue, you’re right in that we should snatch any opportunity we get and it would be great if we’re somehow playing in the championship next year.
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:06 - May 19 with 913 viewstractorboy1978

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:07 - May 19 by BrixtonBlue

We don't make the rules so no, it wouldn't.

Your hatred of Lambert has got so strong now you actually want us to fail!

Your first sentence looks wrong really. Any decision to extend the play offs to the top 10 would mean that certain clubs have influenced the EFL.

It looks fairly clear that the potential outcome of L1 has become a bit of a bun fight.
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:07 - May 19 with 913 viewsBrixtonBlue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:02 - May 19 by Libero

Ah, continuing with your rabid approach I see...

?

I've just answered your point. Why not counter it rather than throw insults?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:09 - May 19 with 907 viewsBrixtonBlue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:03 - May 19 by Libero

No issue with your opinion, just think you're making a bit of a tit out of yourself and may be unaware. You're aware/don't care, it's cool, as you were.

How is having an opinion that happens to differ to yours, "Making a tit of yourself"?

It's an interesting debate, but if you're going to be rude I'll just pop you on ignore.

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:11 - May 19 with 899 viewsLibero

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:07 - May 19 by BrixtonBlue

?

I've just answered your point. Why not counter it rather than throw insults?

Sorry you feel insulted Brixton, I've no interest in 'debating' you, there's nothing to really debate to be honest, I see merits in both points of view and have already made my own personal stance clear.
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:11 - May 19 with 898 viewsLibero

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:09 - May 19 by BrixtonBlue

How is having an opinion that happens to differ to yours, "Making a tit of yourself"?

It's an interesting debate, but if you're going to be rude I'll just pop you on ignore.

You're over reacting.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024