Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us 10:50 - May 19 with 12115 viewsportmanking

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/peterboro

Basically saying that there is a growing appetite among League 1 teams to end the season now, avoid weighted PPG or non-weighted PPG and go straight into an eight-team playoff with the 3rd to 10th placed teams as is.
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:11 - May 19 with 2118 viewsLibero

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:07 - May 19 by BrixtonBlue

We don't make the rules so no, it wouldn't.

Your hatred of Lambert has got so strong now you actually want us to fail!

Hatred? - I think he's done a poor job but there's zero hatred, you're pulling that out of thin air. I've an affinity with Celtic and for me he'll always be that classy deep lying playmaker from the O'Neil team.

I just think as others have said in the thread it's clearly weighted in favour of the bigger teams and that it goes against the spirit of competition as I understand it.

Very tinpot and if it does happen and we do go up via it the footballing world will never let us forget it.
I have come up with a better way of deciding the promotion spots on 12:20 - May 19 with 2093 viewsGuthrum

I have come up with a better way of deciding the promotion spots on 11:52 - May 19 by GeoffSentence

It should be decided based on the number of weeks that each team has spent top of the league. That's fair isn't it?

Coventry would win that hands down. They've been top since 7th March.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:24 - May 19 with 2084 viewsBrixtonBlue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:11 - May 19 by Libero

Hatred? - I think he's done a poor job but there's zero hatred, you're pulling that out of thin air. I've an affinity with Celtic and for me he'll always be that classy deep lying playmaker from the O'Neil team.

I just think as others have said in the thread it's clearly weighted in favour of the bigger teams and that it goes against the spirit of competition as I understand it.

Very tinpot and if it does happen and we do go up via it the footballing world will never let us forget it.

Sorry, I thought I was replying to Herbs.

The only big teams I can see it's weighted in favour of are us and Sunderland, and I don't see either of us calling for this in the media.

I don't think it's tinpot. We're in unprecedented times and are unable to complete our season through no fault of our own, and we still had a chance of promotion which would be worth a lot of money to the club. Looking at it completely objectively, it would be unfair if we, or any other team still mathematically able to make the playoffs, were denied through no fault of their own.

It's as simple as that. Norwich would undoubtedly take the piss but the rest of the footballing world would either not notice or shrug.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:25 - May 19 with 2092 viewsitfcjoe

If we end up going up, I personally couldnt care less.

It would be totally undeserved but for the sake of ITFC we need to get out of this division at the earliest possible opportunity

It would be embarrassing, but so is being in L1 anyway

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:26 - May 19 with 2080 viewsBrixtonBlue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:25 - May 19 by itfcjoe

If we end up going up, I personally couldnt care less.

It would be totally undeserved but for the sake of ITFC we need to get out of this division at the earliest possible opportunity

It would be embarrassing, but so is being in L1 anyway

If we won an 8-team play off it would be a heroic effort, bordering on a miracle. It would neither be embarrassing nor undeserved.
[Post edited 19 May 2020 12:28]

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:32 - May 19 with 2055 viewsStokieBlue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:26 - May 19 by BrixtonBlue

If we won an 8-team play off it would be a heroic effort, bordering on a miracle. It would neither be embarrassing nor undeserved.
[Post edited 19 May 2020 12:28]

Got a feeling we would have a very good chance.

Season totally over and then handed a huge opportunity, what more motivation could the team need. Would Lankester be available? KVY should be back, Norwood should be fit.

Obviously have the Lambert factor to counteract but we would have a good chance.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:34 - May 19 with 2045 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:01 - May 19 by BrixtonBlue

Whilst we have a mathematical chance of reaching the play offs then of course we deserve to have a shot at it. CV-19 wasn't our fault and if the rules happen to accommodate us then so be it.

I don't know why people are getting upset or embarrassed about it. All of this is out of our hands.

I know you all want us to fail just so we can get rid of Lambert, but if you look at it objectively we have been unable to complete our season through no fault of our own, and like it or not we could still have made the play offs. Feel free to be embarrassed by our current standing in the table - you're quite right, it's not good enough for ITFC - but if the rules are changed (and everyone's playing by those same rules) and we managed to get up, then there's absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about.

It will still be very tough to get up in this new proposed scenario, so if we managed it we'd have deserved it.

AFC Wimbledon have a mathematical shot of making the playoffs, they should probably be included too

It’s embarrassing because we would be shoehorned in at the expense of another team that have actually averaged a higher number of points than us in the games that have actually been played

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:36 - May 19 with 2040 viewsThe_Major

On one hand, if this happened and we went up, I'd laugh various parts of my anatomy off at the sheer cheek of it all.

However, knowing our luck, 20/21 would start with a match against the Budgies desperate to prove a point, in front of a deserted Portman Road and a 27-0 defeat.
Login to get fewer ads

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:38 - May 19 with 2026 viewsm14_blue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:01 - May 19 by BrixtonBlue

Whilst we have a mathematical chance of reaching the play offs then of course we deserve to have a shot at it. CV-19 wasn't our fault and if the rules happen to accommodate us then so be it.

I don't know why people are getting upset or embarrassed about it. All of this is out of our hands.

I know you all want us to fail just so we can get rid of Lambert, but if you look at it objectively we have been unable to complete our season through no fault of our own, and like it or not we could still have made the play offs. Feel free to be embarrassed by our current standing in the table - you're quite right, it's not good enough for ITFC - but if the rules are changed (and everyone's playing by those same rules) and we managed to get up, then there's absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about.

It will still be very tough to get up in this new proposed scenario, so if we managed it we'd have deserved it.

I don’t want us to fail at all, I like Lambert and still hope he succeeds, even if I’ve lost faith that he will.

We absolutely don’t deserve to go up this season.

I suppose if the play offs are massively weighted in favour of league position it’s marginally fairer but if we go into them with the same chance of going up as the six teams that are 7/8 points ahead of us then that’s ridiculous.
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:43 - May 19 with 2014 viewsBrixtonBlue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:32 - May 19 by StokieBlue

Got a feeling we would have a very good chance.

Season totally over and then handed a huge opportunity, what more motivation could the team need. Would Lankester be available? KVY should be back, Norwood should be fit.

Obviously have the Lambert factor to counteract but we would have a good chance.

SB

Reasonable points, but then we haven't been particularly motivated thus far. And it would be a really odd atmosphere playing behind closed doors to stay fired up in.

I think whoever won it would absolutely deserve it.

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:44 - May 19 with 2009 viewsportmanking

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:38 - May 19 by m14_blue

I don’t want us to fail at all, I like Lambert and still hope he succeeds, even if I’ve lost faith that he will.

I suppose if the play offs are massively weighted in favour of league position it’s marginally fairer but if we go into them with the same chance of going up as the six teams that are 7/8 points ahead of us then that’s ridiculous.

I think your last paragraph will be ultimately vital.

To make it as fair as possible, you'd surely have an 'initial' playoff between the teams 7th-10th and then pitch the winners against the winners of the 3rd-6th playoff?

Or do you do a straight out playoff and have 3rd playing 10th at home etc? Oxford away.... spirit of 1992 and all that.
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:46 - May 19 with 2009 viewsPhilTWTD

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:08 - May 19 by SomethingBlue

I would be astonished, and I would expect Paul Scally to blow a gasket.

But I'd also take it, because we've come out the wrong side of pretty much everything else over the past decade and a half.

Indeed, I can't imagine the 10 would be based on the top 10 as it is, can't see that clubs would vote for that. And I don't think we would kick up a stink if we weren't involved due to PPG/WPPG.
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:48 - May 19 with 1995 viewsBrixtonBlue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:34 - May 19 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

AFC Wimbledon have a mathematical shot of making the playoffs, they should probably be included too

It’s embarrassing because we would be shoehorned in at the expense of another team that have actually averaged a higher number of points than us in the games that have actually been played

It makes no odds. The season is played so that everyone plays everyone else home and away. We have an easy run in - thus we've played harder games than some other teams. That's not fair.

Also, none of this situation is of our making. Be embarrassed that we were 10th at the time the season was suspended, by all means. But if the rules are changed for everyone, and then we somehow make it through, we would just be following the rules and there would be nothing to be embarrassed about if we were to gain promotion under those circumstances.

I'm really baffled that so many in this thread seem unable to see this.

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:51 - May 19 with 1986 viewsBrixtonBlue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:38 - May 19 by m14_blue

West Ham went up despite us being 9 points ahead of them. It's irrelevant. We follow the rules as they're set out.

To say "We absolutely don’t deserve to go up this season" is an emotional argument but not a rational one. The fact remains we could've made the play offs but were unable to complete the games.

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:52 - May 19 with 1980 viewsgainsboroughblue

Surely if League One does it, Championship and League two clubs down to tenth place should get the same opportunity in their respective divisions also, seeing how this is the same league.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:55 - May 19 with 1961 viewsMeadowlark

We wouldn't stand a chance. Have you not seen us play in "must-win" games the last few seasons?
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:56 - May 19 with 1955 viewsm14_blue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:51 - May 19 by BrixtonBlue

West Ham went up despite us being 9 points ahead of them. It's irrelevant. We follow the rules as they're set out.

To say "We absolutely don’t deserve to go up this season" is an emotional argument but not a rational one. The fact remains we could've made the play offs but were unable to complete the games.

So you think we do deserve to go up?

I’m not sure what I’m saying that anyone could disagree with really. Of course if the rules are that the play offs go down to 10th then we should give it our best shot and hopefully win it.

Would it be outrageous if we went up that way? Obviously.
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:57 - May 19 with 1951 viewsPinewoodblue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:46 - May 19 by PhilTWTD

Indeed, I can't imagine the 10 would be based on the top 10 as it is, can't see that clubs would vote for that. And I don't think we would kick up a stink if we weren't involved due to PPG/WPPG.

Not sure any one system should be used to determine final league position. Should be an average of all the available options. Draw up league table using various options available. Award points based on position and determine an average. There are teams that would be in play offs using one system but miss out on another. Using any one system would be unfair.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 13:09 - May 19 with 1920 viewsIllinoisblue

What sweet irony it would be if Darragh helped us get up.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 13:12 - May 19 with 1915 viewsChrisd

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:40 - May 19 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Staging even an enlarged playoff is far less fixtures than everyone in the league playing 8-odd games each, so I’m not sure that argument really works

I just think it’s rubbish as obviously only being proposed to look after the interests of the big clubs

I'd love to see Rick Parry and his cronies at the EFL just shut down this idea, finish the league as and now on PPG. Job done.
[Post edited 19 May 2020 13:19]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 13:15 - May 19 with 1913 viewspointofblue

The season should finish when it’s safe to do so, even if that means scrapping or changing the format for 20/21 - at least whatever is decided for that will be known in advance rather than the mess they’re making of this season.

And the Premier League need to step in in the meantime to help clubs out. But for the bottomless pits of billionaire owners...

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 13:20 - May 19 with 1902 viewsportmanking

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 13:15 - May 19 by pointofblue

The season should finish when it’s safe to do so, even if that means scrapping or changing the format for 20/21 - at least whatever is decided for that will be known in advance rather than the mess they’re making of this season.

And the Premier League need to step in in the meantime to help clubs out. But for the bottomless pits of billionaire owners...

That's simply not a goer. You know it, I know it, we all know it.

Broadcasting deals and obligations have seen to that.
If we get involved in any sort of..... on 13:28 - May 19 with 1879 viewsSpruceMoose

If we get involved in any sort of..... on 10:57 - May 19 by Bloots

….end of season play off it will be one of the biggest injustices in football and completely destroy the very little shred of integrity left in the game.

An utter embarrassment.

Lambert out.

Look at it this way, if we are involved, we will inevitably go down without so much as a fight therefore increasing the odds that Lambert gets told to sling his hook!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 13:28 - May 19 with 1875 viewsketton_itfc

Ok I’ll throw this in the pot, what about average league position over the season so far? Would that be a better framing of a season than ppg or current league position?
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 13:28 - May 19 with 1875 viewsPinewoodblue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:36 - May 19 by The_Major

On one hand, if this happened and we went up, I'd laugh various parts of my anatomy off at the sheer cheek of it all.

However, knowing our luck, 20/21 would start with a match against the Budgies desperate to prove a point, in front of a deserted Portman Road and a 27-0 defeat.

While it would be wrong for Town to be involved in an eight team play off if was to happen, and we gained promotion, then in would be on merit.

How many times have we finished 3rd or 4th and failed in the play offs. Each year that happened the winners of the play offs were promoted on merit

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024