Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us 10:50 - May 19 with 12111 viewsportmanking

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/peterboro

Basically saying that there is a growing appetite among League 1 teams to end the season now, avoid weighted PPG or non-weighted PPG and go straight into an eight-team playoff with the 3rd to 10th placed teams as is.
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:15 - May 19 with 1712 viewsBrixtonBlue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:06 - May 19 by tractorboy1978

Your first sentence looks wrong really. Any decision to extend the play offs to the top 10 would mean that certain clubs have influenced the EFL.

It looks fairly clear that the potential outcome of L1 has become a bit of a bun fight.

You posted similar earlier; "It reeks of us embarrassingly throwing our relative financial weight around to try and change the rules to suit us."

I replied: "What have we done to try and change the rules?"

Interesting that you failed to answer.
I'll ask you again, what have we done "to try and change the rules to suit us"?

As far as I'm aware it's the Peterborough owner suggesting this and we've made no comment on it whatsoever, but I may have missed something.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:16 - May 19 with 1708 viewsBrixtonBlue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:11 - May 19 by Libero

Sorry you feel insulted Brixton, I've no interest in 'debating' you, there's nothing to really debate to be honest, I see merits in both points of view and have already made my own personal stance clear.

Ok, so agree to disagree. No need to call me "rabid" and "a tit" then!

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:19 - May 19 with 1697 viewsJ2BLUE

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:05 - May 19 by m14_blue

But they still have a mathematical chance of finishing 6th so they deserve a shot at it?

Anyway, I don’t want to argue, you’re right in that we should snatch any opportunity we get and it would be great if we’re somehow playing in the championship next year.

We are looking at being granted a one off opportunity due to the pandemic to take part in a competition we still had a small chance of qualifying for. The Norwich comparison isn't a very good one. I'd absolutely support a relegation play off in the Prem this season rather than just relegating the bottom three. That's a much more sensible comparison than your example of a team 6 points (and goal difference) away from safety having a shot at a Europa League place.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:20 - May 19 with 1695 viewsLibero

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:16 - May 19 by BrixtonBlue

Ok, so agree to disagree. No need to call me "rabid" and "a tit" then!

I apologies for the offence caused, I see merits in both sides of the discussion but I maintain that you're going about this conversation with multiple people in a rabid manner that isn't painting you in the best light.
You're obviously aware of this/aren't bothered and I shouldn't have mentioned it in the first instance, I apologise.

Enjoy your evening bud.
[Post edited 19 May 2020 16:20]
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:21 - May 19 with 1685 viewsThe_Last_Baron

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:01 - May 19 by portmanking

I'd be interested to see how they did an 8-team playoff?

Would we be pitched against the 3rd place team first? Or would it be an initial playoff involving teams 7th to 10th?

I reckon it would be 3 v 10, 4 v 9, 5 v 8 and 6 v 7. They could do one off games for each round or two legs. I think they'd probably do one off games.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:24 - May 19 with 1673 viewstractorboy1978

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:15 - May 19 by BrixtonBlue

You posted similar earlier; "It reeks of us embarrassingly throwing our relative financial weight around to try and change the rules to suit us."

I replied: "What have we done to try and change the rules?"

Interesting that you failed to answer.
I'll ask you again, what have we done "to try and change the rules to suit us"?

As far as I'm aware it's the Peterborough owner suggesting this and we've made no comment on it whatsoever, but I may have missed something.

Evans has been in contact with MacAnthony and written a letter to the EFL. I am surmising that it's an idea we are well on board with and trying to push. The point of this 6 club collective is that they share the same opinion. Extending the play-offs to the top 10 is clearly a changing of the rules.
[Post edited 19 May 2020 16:35]
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:29 - May 19 with 1662 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:05 - May 19 by BrixtonBlue

Where have I said that? I've said I'm in favour of an extended play offs. I've been pretty clear on that.

Discussion was about us being included ahead of Gillingham, not the expanded playoff itself

I pointed out that if you accept the expanded playoff is acceptable, we still shouldn’t get in as Gillingham have averaged more points than us. You replied with ‘I’m disputing the need to even look at an average, because it doesn't take into account that some teams have played easier games than others’

So given that Gillingham have so far performed better than us in the games that have actually been able to be played, what measure are you using to include us ahead of them if you’re not taking remaining fixtures into account and effectively guessing how they may have turned out?
[Post edited 19 May 2020 16:58]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:38 - May 19 with 1648 viewstextbackup

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:08 - May 19 by SomethingBlue

I would be astonished, and I would expect Paul Scally to blow a gasket.

But I'd also take it, because we've come out the wrong side of pretty much everything else over the past decade and a half.

"because we've come out the wrong side of pretty much everything else over the past decade and a half."

all our own doing I might add

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Login to get fewer ads

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:41 - May 19 with 1636 viewsSomethingBlue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:38 - May 19 by textbackup

"because we've come out the wrong side of pretty much everything else over the past decade and a half."

all our own doing I might add

Largely. I'd describe it as a lethal confluence of self-destruction and unfortunate timing. If we get some luck on our side this time (and I doubt we will) then I'm taking it and not looking back, personally.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:46 - May 19 with 1625 viewstextbackup

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:41 - May 19 by SomethingBlue

Largely. I'd describe it as a lethal confluence of self-destruction and unfortunate timing. If we get some luck on our side this time (and I doubt we will) then I'm taking it and not looking back, personally.

get what you say, but ultimately you make your own luck in this world. and ME's terribly thought out plans and poor decisions are the overall factor in this, IMO

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:51 - May 19 with 1615 viewsChrisd

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:16 - May 19 by BrixtonBlue

The end of season play offs are for the teams that finished in the top 6 after 44 games, not 34-36 games. On the basis that it wasn't our fault we stopped here, with a number of easy games left, we don't NOT deserve to be involved!

Yes and that's what makes this suggestion even more bizarre. Easier games on paper, but the way we were performing there were no guarantees we were going to get the victories needed and the points required. Let me remind you, bottom of the form table in the short term, 4 wins from 20+ games over the long term. Scintillating form, certainly warrants a promotion opportunity? Dropping down that league like a stone. You might not like reading it, but it's fact based.
[Post edited 19 May 2020 16:56]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Good point..... on 17:11 - May 19 with 1584 viewsBloots

If we get involved in any sort of..... on 13:28 - May 19 by SpruceMoose

Look at it this way, if we are involved, we will inevitably go down without so much as a fight therefore increasing the odds that Lambert gets told to sling his hook!

….I've changed my stance.

We absolutely deserve to be in the "play offs", entirely based on merit.

Come on you blues!

Lambert out.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 17:26 - May 19 with 1561 viewsSwansea_Blue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:29 - May 19 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

‘We had a very decent chance of making 6th’

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Don't be daft.

Nowhere near enough AHAHs there

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 18:01 - May 19 with 1536 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Div 2 should be the same!
Then the championship side will want that too
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 18:01 - May 19 with 1535 viewsm14_blue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:19 - May 19 by J2BLUE

We are looking at being granted a one off opportunity due to the pandemic to take part in a competition we still had a small chance of qualifying for. The Norwich comparison isn't a very good one. I'd absolutely support a relegation play off in the Prem this season rather than just relegating the bottom three. That's a much more sensible comparison than your example of a team 6 points (and goal difference) away from safety having a shot at a Europa League place.

Ok, so Norwich was a little ridiculous but let’s take Newcastle, they’re 8 points off Europa so similar chance to ourselves.

Ah, but they’re also 8 points from relegation so would they have to take part in 2 play offs?

It’s patently absurd, my feeling is that the season should be null and void but if they must fudge it then it can only be done on team’s position now (with PPG). Extending it to try and keep the big clubs happy with some sort of subjective judgement of who ‘might have a chance’ is ridiculous and calls the integrity of the league into question imo.

Has any other league in the world done similar?

I listened to the Port Vale owner the other day and the dignity she showed was in stark contrast to the bun fight in L1.

You’re right in that it would be hilarious if we benefited from it but let’s not try and kid ourselves that it’s a reasonable decision.
[Post edited 19 May 2020 18:03]
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 18:16 - May 19 with 1521 viewsJ2BLUE

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 18:01 - May 19 by m14_blue

Ok, so Norwich was a little ridiculous but let’s take Newcastle, they’re 8 points off Europa so similar chance to ourselves.

Ah, but they’re also 8 points from relegation so would they have to take part in 2 play offs?

It’s patently absurd, my feeling is that the season should be null and void but if they must fudge it then it can only be done on team’s position now (with PPG). Extending it to try and keep the big clubs happy with some sort of subjective judgement of who ‘might have a chance’ is ridiculous and calls the integrity of the league into question imo.

I listened to the Port Vale owner the other day and the dignity she showed was in stark contrast to the bun fight in L1.

You’re right in that it would be hilarious if we benefited from it but let’s not try and kid ourselves that it’s a reasonable decision.

I respect your view but I think you're looking at this in entirely the wrong way. This is much fairer than just oiding the league.

I'm sure Port Vale would have loved to have played on if they could afford to stage the games. Don't confuse practicality with morality.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 18:23 - May 19 with 1510 viewsm14_blue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 18:16 - May 19 by J2BLUE

I respect your view but I think you're looking at this in entirely the wrong way. This is much fairer than just oiding the league.

I'm sure Port Vale would have loved to have played on if they could afford to stage the games. Don't confuse practicality with morality.

I respect your view too but also think you’re looking at this in entirely the wrong way (through blue tinted lenses).

Which is fair enough, football is emotional not logical.

EDIT: of course Vale would have liked to finish the season, I think everyone would. But they haven’t called for the PO’s to be extended to include them (despite being much closer than us).
[Post edited 19 May 2020 18:28]
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 18:32 - May 19 with 1501 viewspointofblue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 18:23 - May 19 by m14_blue

I respect your view too but also think you’re looking at this in entirely the wrong way (through blue tinted lenses).

Which is fair enough, football is emotional not logical.

EDIT: of course Vale would have liked to finish the season, I think everyone would. But they haven’t called for the PO’s to be extended to include them (despite being much closer than us).
[Post edited 19 May 2020 18:28]

Though that’s most likely because they couldn’t afford to and the financial gap between Leagues One and Two isn’t as dramatic.

Don’t get me wrong, still credit to Vale for making the decision they did.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 18:44 - May 19 with 1484 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 18:16 - May 19 by J2BLUE

Has it actually been said that Port Vale couldn’t afford to stage playoff games though?

A number of clubs have indicated they can’t finish the season, but clubs playing 8/9 games (in many cases clubs with nothing to realistically play for) is a completely different proposition to playing a couple of games with a potential reward at the end surely?

Happy to stand corrected if I’ve missed something here

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 19:59 - May 19 with 1448 viewsBrixtonBlue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:20 - May 19 by Libero

I apologies for the offence caused, I see merits in both sides of the discussion but I maintain that you're going about this conversation with multiple people in a rabid manner that isn't painting you in the best light.
You're obviously aware of this/aren't bothered and I shouldn't have mentioned it in the first instance, I apologise.

Enjoy your evening bud.
[Post edited 19 May 2020 16:20]

Why are you apologising and then repeating one of your insults?

What exactly is rabid about answering people's points calmly and without the need for insults?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 20:03 - May 19 with 1446 viewsBrixtonBlue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 16:24 - May 19 by tractorboy1978

Evans has been in contact with MacAnthony and written a letter to the EFL. I am surmising that it's an idea we are well on board with and trying to push. The point of this 6 club collective is that they share the same opinion. Extending the play-offs to the top 10 is clearly a changing of the rules.
[Post edited 19 May 2020 16:35]

Evans wrote a letter to the EFL expressing our wish to complete the season, nothing about an 8 team play off.

You are struggling here because there is no evidence whatsoever that we've pushed this idea.

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 20:10 - May 19 with 1438 viewsBrixtonBlue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 18:01 - May 19 by m14_blue

As I said before, you're comparison doesn't work because you're adding play offs where they didn't previously exist. We're just talking about extending an existing one.

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 20:21 - May 19 with 1420 viewsLibero

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 19:59 - May 19 by BrixtonBlue

Why are you apologising and then repeating one of your insults?

What exactly is rabid about answering people's points calmly and without the need for insults?

I’m apologising because clearly your feelings have been hurt. I’m not repeating but offering clarification as you appeared to believe that describing your posting on this subject as rabid was unjustified and that my view that it made you look like a tit unfounded, while I’m sorry for upsetting you I stand by what I said, I just acknowledge I probably shouldn’t have said it.

I’ve just tried to read another thread on the subject but you’re frothing at the mouth at people in there too. I’m not sure what it is about the subject or oday that’s evoked such a persistent and strong reaction from you but regardless I am apologetic for getting involved in discourse with you on the subject today.

Just incase you’re still taking the term rabid as an insult I’ve attached a definition for you...
rabid
/ˈrabɪd,ˈreɪbɪd/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
having or proceeding from an extreme or fanatical support of or belief in something.
"Dollers is a rabid supporter of extending the League One playoffs to ten teams”
[Post edited 19 May 2020 20:24]
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 21:09 - May 19 with 1378 viewsBrixtonBlue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 20:21 - May 19 by Libero

I’m apologising because clearly your feelings have been hurt. I’m not repeating but offering clarification as you appeared to believe that describing your posting on this subject as rabid was unjustified and that my view that it made you look like a tit unfounded, while I’m sorry for upsetting you I stand by what I said, I just acknowledge I probably shouldn’t have said it.

I’ve just tried to read another thread on the subject but you’re frothing at the mouth at people in there too. I’m not sure what it is about the subject or oday that’s evoked such a persistent and strong reaction from you but regardless I am apologetic for getting involved in discourse with you on the subject today.

Just incase you’re still taking the term rabid as an insult I’ve attached a definition for you...
rabid
/ˈrabɪd,ˈreɪbɪd/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
having or proceeding from an extreme or fanatical support of or belief in something.
"Dollers is a rabid supporter of extending the League One playoffs to ten teams”
[Post edited 19 May 2020 20:24]

Sigh. I've not been frothing at the mouth, I've just defended my position and replied to people's points. That's all.

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 21:14 - May 19 with 1372 viewsLibero

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 21:09 - May 19 by BrixtonBlue

Sigh. I've not been frothing at the mouth, I've just defended my position and replied to people's points. That's all.

No one has really attacked you for your position, you went on the offensive telling people that if they didn’t hold your views they wanted the club to fail and replying to anyone with an alternative view to your own in a rabid manner.

Honestly, this is absurd.
[Post edited 19 May 2020 21:19]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024