Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us 10:50 - May 19 with 12112 viewsportmanking

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/peterboro

Basically saying that there is a growing appetite among League 1 teams to end the season now, avoid weighted PPG or non-weighted PPG and go straight into an eight-team playoff with the 3rd to 10th placed teams as is.
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 13:31 - May 19 with 1302 viewsChrisd

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 13:28 - May 19 by Pinewoodblue

While it would be wrong for Town to be involved in an eight team play off if was to happen, and we gained promotion, then in would be on merit.

How many times have we finished 3rd or 4th and failed in the play offs. Each year that happened the winners of the play offs were promoted on merit

Yes, but not from 10th spot!

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 13:33 - May 19 with 1297 viewsSpruceMoose

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:32 - May 19 by StokieBlue

Got a feeling we would have a very good chance.

Season totally over and then handed a huge opportunity, what more motivation could the team need. Would Lankester be available? KVY should be back, Norwood should be fit.

Obviously have the Lambert factor to counteract but we would have a good chance.

SB

Show Lambert the door and get a new boss in for it! What a time to pick up that new boss bounce!

In fact, chuck a few million at a Wenger or a Warnock or a Megson for a couple of games as an interim boss
[Post edited 19 May 2020 13:33]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

I have come up with a better way of deciding the promotion spots on 13:34 - May 19 with 1290 viewsGeoffSentence

I have come up with a better way of deciding the promotion spots on 12:20 - May 19 by Guthrum

Coventry would win that hands down. They've been top since 7th March.

I think we'd still be second

But by weeks, I was meaning rounds of football.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 13:44 - May 19 with 1264 viewsBrixtonBlue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:56 - May 19 by m14_blue

So you think we do deserve to go up?

I’m not sure what I’m saying that anyone could disagree with really. Of course if the rules are that the play offs go down to 10th then we should give it our best shot and hopefully win it.

Would it be outrageous if we went up that way? Obviously.

I can't have an opinion on whether we deserve to go up or not as the season hasn't finished. If it did and we made the play offs, then won promotion from them, then yes, absolutely we'd deserve to go up.

If the rules changed to an 8 team play off that we won, then yes we'd deserve to go up.

EDIT: in response to "I'm not sure what I'm saying that anyone could disagree with" - you stated "we don’t deserve to go up or even have a shot at it." This is something that I could disagree with because it's patently not true. Before the season was suspended we deserved a shot at it by virtue of the fact that we could still make the play offs. Why should we now NOT deserve a shot at it because of a global pandemic out of our control?
[Post edited 19 May 2020 13:50]

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 13:54 - May 19 with 1255 viewsBrixtonBlue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 13:28 - May 19 by Pinewoodblue

While it would be wrong for Town to be involved in an eight team play off if was to happen, and we gained promotion, then in would be on merit.

How many times have we finished 3rd or 4th and failed in the play offs. Each year that happened the winners of the play offs were promoted on merit

Why would it be wrong for Town to be involved in an eight team play off if was to happen?

This is what I can't get my head around. Some of you seem to want to cut off your nose to spite your face!

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 14:10 - May 19 with 1240 viewsPhilTWTD

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:57 - May 19 by Pinewoodblue

Not sure any one system should be used to determine final league position. Should be an average of all the available options. Draw up league table using various options available. Award points based on position and determine an average. There are teams that would be in play offs using one system but miss out on another. Using any one system would be unfair.

An interesting idea and I can see the thinking but probably a bit too complicated for clubs to get their heads around.

Thinking about the extended play-off thing, I suppose the logical progression of the idea and the thinking behind it is simply to let all the teams who want to play out the rest of the season to take part in a super-play-off competition with those who have voted to end it now to sit it out.
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 14:13 - May 19 with 1231 viewsfooters

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 13:33 - May 19 by SpruceMoose

Show Lambert the door and get a new boss in for it! What a time to pick up that new boss bounce!

In fact, chuck a few million at a Wenger or a Warnock or a Megson for a couple of games as an interim boss
[Post edited 19 May 2020 13:33]

How rigorous is the old PED testing regime? Reckon you could be onto something with this one, Spruce. It'd be like a Suffolk football version of Space Jam.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 14:14 - May 19 with 1230 viewsportmanking

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 14:10 - May 19 by PhilTWTD

An interesting idea and I can see the thinking but probably a bit too complicated for clubs to get their heads around.

Thinking about the extended play-off thing, I suppose the logical progression of the idea and the thinking behind it is simply to let all the teams who want to play out the rest of the season to take part in a super-play-off competition with those who have voted to end it now to sit it out.

As per your last paragraph - I think that's exactly the gist that the Posh co-owner was getting at earlier. I get the feeling there are only eight teams with the financial wherewithal & desire to stage games BCD and pay for COVID testing etc.
Login to get fewer ads

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 14:15 - May 19 with 1222 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 13:54 - May 19 by BrixtonBlue

Why would it be wrong for Town to be involved in an eight team play off if was to happen?

This is what I can't get my head around. Some of you seem to want to cut off your nose to spite your face!

Because we have averaged the 11th most points from the games that have actually been able to be played, so therefore we don’t deserve to be included in even an expanded playoff (which is a silly idea anyway as it is creating an arbitrary line as to where teams were potentially still in contention or not, but that’s another argument...)
[Post edited 19 May 2020 14:16]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 14:18 - May 19 with 1211 viewsgordon

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:08 - May 19 by portmanking

So if we were to prevail and win 4-5 games in a row in a playoff scenario against all the teams that have been around us in the promotion mix thus far, we wouldn't have deserved it? If resuming the season in its normal state is impossible, this has to be fairest way to settle it on the pitch surely? However strange it may be.

If the play-offs were designed such that we had to win a series of e.g. 4 difficult matches in a row, while for example the teams in 3rd and 4th got two bites at the cherry, and home advantage until the final for example, then I can't see anything wrong an 8 team play-off at all - in American sports loads of teams make the play-offs, but the ones that just scrape in are disadvantaged in various ways by the play-off structure.

If it were just a straight quarter-final, semi-final, final with one-off games, that would be really unfair.
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 14:27 - May 19 with 1184 viewsDanny_G

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 14:15 - May 19 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Because we have averaged the 11th most points from the games that have actually been able to be played, so therefore we don’t deserve to be included in even an expanded playoff (which is a silly idea anyway as it is creating an arbitrary line as to where teams were potentially still in contention or not, but that’s another argument...)

Yes, but from harder games than Gillingham. Compare their remaining fixtures with ours. They still have to play the top two, plus Fleetwood and Wycombe. Our toughest matches are only against sixth and ninth, with home matches against four of the bottom six.

I’m not saying I have any better ideas, but PPG is certainly not a perfect reflection of the season’s performances so far and I think Gillingham could count themselves pretty lucky if they leapfrog us into a playoff place.
[Post edited 19 May 2020 14:27]
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 14:30 - May 19 with 1173 viewsSpruceMoose

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 14:13 - May 19 by footers

How rigorous is the old PED testing regime? Reckon you could be onto something with this one, Spruce. It'd be like a Suffolk football version of Space Jam.

Get a few ringers in too. See if Pirlo fancies a couple of games and stick him in the middle of the park next to Skuse. Dream team!

What are Batistuta and Gio up to these days...

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 14:32 - May 19 with 1169 viewsSpruceMoose

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 13:44 - May 19 by BrixtonBlue

I can't have an opinion on whether we deserve to go up or not as the season hasn't finished. If it did and we made the play offs, then won promotion from them, then yes, absolutely we'd deserve to go up.

If the rules changed to an 8 team play off that we won, then yes we'd deserve to go up.

EDIT: in response to "I'm not sure what I'm saying that anyone could disagree with" - you stated "we don’t deserve to go up or even have a shot at it." This is something that I could disagree with because it's patently not true. Before the season was suspended we deserved a shot at it by virtue of the fact that we could still make the play offs. Why should we now NOT deserve a shot at it because of a global pandemic out of our control?
[Post edited 19 May 2020 13:50]

You keep saying that we would miss out because of a global pandemic and that sounds like a Lambert excuse in waiting. We would miss out because we have played like absolute arseholes this season.

Had we played out the season, with our form, it's possible that we we wouldn't be anywhere near the top ten!

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 14:33 - May 19 with 1164 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 14:27 - May 19 by Danny_G

Yes, but from harder games than Gillingham. Compare their remaining fixtures with ours. They still have to play the top two, plus Fleetwood and Wycombe. Our toughest matches are only against sixth and ninth, with home matches against four of the bottom six.

I’m not saying I have any better ideas, but PPG is certainly not a perfect reflection of the season’s performances so far and I think Gillingham could count themselves pretty lucky if they leapfrog us into a playoff place.

PPG is the only measure that based solely on performances to date - anything else is speculative and makes assumptions about what would happen in future games, at which point you may aswell go the whole hog with statistical simulations and a computer deciding the standings

I’m sure Gillingham would also counter that respective form over the past 20 games indicates they would be far more likely to pickup more points than us in their remaining games than we would

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 14:45 - May 19 with 1152 viewsDanny_G

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 14:33 - May 19 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

PPG is the only measure that based solely on performances to date - anything else is speculative and makes assumptions about what would happen in future games, at which point you may aswell go the whole hog with statistical simulations and a computer deciding the standings

I’m sure Gillingham would also counter that respective form over the past 20 games indicates they would be far more likely to pickup more points than us in their remaining games than we would

It’s not the only such measure though. You could, for example, go with the idea of only counting the first match played against each other team (the one that, ridiculously, puts us third).

Of course, that would be pretty ludicrous as it doesn’t take into account that our form has been much worse in the second half of the season. But that’s not much more valid as a theoretical objection than that our matches so far have been, by any objective measure, notably more difficult than Gillingham’s. Especially when the margin between us and them is this tight.
[Post edited 19 May 2020 14:46]
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 14:53 - May 19 with 1139 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 14:45 - May 19 by Danny_G

It’s not the only such measure though. You could, for example, go with the idea of only counting the first match played against each other team (the one that, ridiculously, puts us third).

Of course, that would be pretty ludicrous as it doesn’t take into account that our form has been much worse in the second half of the season. But that’s not much more valid as a theoretical objection than that our matches so far have been, by any objective measure, notably more difficult than Gillingham’s. Especially when the margin between us and them is this tight.
[Post edited 19 May 2020 14:46]

It clearly is more invalid, as it would ignore 15-odd games that have actually been played

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 14:55 - May 19 with 1134 viewsJ2BLUE

Some of you need to get out more. Embarrassing? Have a word with yourselves.

It would be brilliant. We want to finish the season. On paper we still have a reasonable chance of the playoffs (the way our form was going it wasn't a genuine chance I admit). In empty stadiums with our squad we should do ok.

Lets not look a gift horse in the mouth if we get this opportunity.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 14:56 - May 19 with 1131 viewsChrisd

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 14:27 - May 19 by Danny_G

Yes, but the way we were finishing the season Southend and Bolton at home looked a tough ask.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:16 - May 19 with 1101 viewsBrixtonBlue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 14:15 - May 19 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

The end of season play offs are for the teams that finished in the top 6 after 44 games, not 34-36 games. On the basis that it wasn't our fault we stopped here, with a number of easy games left, we don't NOT deserve to be involved!

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:19 - May 19 with 1097 viewsSpruceMoose

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:16 - May 19 by BrixtonBlue

The end of season play offs are for the teams that finished in the top 6 after 44 games, not 34-36 games. On the basis that it wasn't our fault we stopped here, with a number of easy games left, we don't NOT deserve to be involved!

Dolly, in League One, we became the easy game for other teams.How many supposed easy games did we stuff up this season?

If the season had continued we'd be bottom half. Def info.

Lambert Out.

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:25 - May 19 with 1088 viewsBrixtonBlue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 14:32 - May 19 by SpruceMoose

You keep saying that we would miss out because of a global pandemic and that sounds like a Lambert excuse in waiting. We would miss out because we have played like absolute arseholes this season.

Had we played out the season, with our form, it's possible that we we wouldn't be anywhere near the top ten!

Of course it's possible, just as it's possible we'd make the play offs - particularly with players back from injury and the easy games we have left. I'd say we had a very decent chance of making 6th given those parameters.

I'm trying to look at it without attaching any emotion to it. It's a fact we still could make the play offs and thus promotion. If we're denied that chance now then yes, we would miss out because of a global pandemic. Whether that sounds like a Lambert excuse is neither here nor there, it's a fact.

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:26 - May 19 with 1086 viewsurbanblue

I can't believe some of the 'fans' on this thread moaning about how unfair this would be.

Football has always been unfair. Teams have often got promoted via the play offs when they have finished well behind other teams over the course of the season.

If we went up I'd be p1ssing myself laughing all the way into the Championship!

COYB
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:26 - May 19 with 1085 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:16 - May 19 by BrixtonBlue

You’ve completely ignored the point made. Even if you accept that expanding the playoffs to 8 teams is reasonable, we still haven’t averaged enough points to get in

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:27 - May 19 with 1079 viewsurbanblue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:26 - May 19 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

You’ve completely ignored the point made. Even if you accept that expanding the playoffs to 8 teams is reasonable, we still haven’t averaged enough points to get in

Who cares!
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 15:28 - May 19 with 1074 viewsBrixtonBlue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 14:53 - May 19 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

It clearly is more invalid, as it would ignore 15-odd games that have actually been played

It's interesting how you've totally avoided his point that Gillingham have played easier games than us.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024