Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us 10:50 - May 19 with 12113 viewsportmanking

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/peterboro

Basically saying that there is a growing appetite among League 1 teams to end the season now, avoid weighted PPG or non-weighted PPG and go straight into an eight-team playoff with the 3rd to 10th placed teams as is.
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:12 - May 19 with 758 viewsFtnfwest

this is barmy, if they are going to do any sort of play offs across the divisions they should start in the prem and get the bottom 3 to play off against the top 3 in the championship for a premier place next season (championship teams at home in a one off game) and so on with the other divisions.
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:13 - May 19 with 752 viewsSwansea_Blue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 10:57 - May 19 by Fixed_It

There is actually some sense in what he says, in that any Points Per Game formula would inherently be unfair, and that by widening the play-off 'net' no-one can really feel too hard done by.

I don't understand how rewarding teams based on their performance after 35/36 games is unfair. It's a pretty good indication of the best and worst teams.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:13 - May 19 with 750 viewsportmanking

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:10 - May 19 by Garv

5 point behind with two games in hand, no?

No, Burton are on 48 pts and have one game in-hand on us.
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:14 - May 19 with 745 viewsportmanking

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:12 - May 19 by Libero

If this happened and we went up it would be the most tinpot thing in the clubs history.

The last 18 months of the club's history has been tinpot so why break the habit!
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:14 - May 19 with 742 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:04 - May 19 by portmanking

But you could draw the line at the top 10 and say only Gillingham could argue the fairness of the top 10 being the genuine top 10. Whether Gillingham have the finances or appetite to compete in this playoff would be a big question mark too. Burton are 4 pts behind us with only one game in-hand.

I don't know, it's a weird situation but I guess it's the fairest way of allowing teams to battle it out on the field rather than using raw data.

Personally I don’t believe the playoff should be extended. I think there is a degree of logic in staging the usual 4 team playoff as that is what would usually happen at the end of a season, but by extending it then becomes an arbitrary decision as to how far down the table should be in - as you rightly point out Burton are theoretically right behind us so if we’re in with a chance then so are they

Ignoring that, PPG (or weighted PPG) should without a doubt be the metric used to determine the standings. Just taking the points gained so far is ludicrous when some teams have played more games than others - there is simply no justifiable explanation for it

Ultimately it is only being extended as the two biggest clubs in the division plus the most gobby are missing out currently, two of them by a narrow margin. It wouldn’t be happening if us, Sunderland and Peterborough were in the playoff places as it stands, and say Oxford, Wycombe and Fleetwood just outside

That this is even being considered absolutely stinks, quite frankly

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:16 - May 19 with 738 viewstractorboy1978

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:08 - May 19 by portmanking

So if we were to prevail and win 4-5 games in a row in a playoff scenario against all the teams that have been around us in the promotion mix thus far, we wouldn't have deserved it? If resuming the season in its normal state is impossible, this has to be fairest way to settle it on the pitch surely? However strange it may be.

You have to deserve to be in that position to begin with. We are 10th, 7 points off the pace (effectively 8 points with GD) having played more games than all the teams above us. It reeks of us embarrassingly throwing our relative financial weight around to try and change the rules to suit us.
[Post edited 19 May 2020 11:17]
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:17 - May 19 with 738 viewsLibero

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:14 - May 19 by portmanking

The last 18 months of the club's history has been tinpot so why break the habit!

Don't get me wrong, I'd be made up if we went up but it's just all very un-Ipswich.
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:18 - May 19 with 727 viewsportmanking

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:17 - May 19 by Libero

Don't get me wrong, I'd be made up if we went up but it's just all very un-Ipswich.

Unfortunately the Ipswich we fell in love with is long gone mate.
Login to get fewer ads

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:20 - May 19 with 717 viewsLibero

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:06 - May 19 by portmanking

On your last point - that's my primary reason for wanting us to sneak in the back door. It would be much more palatable knowing we've prevented Steve Evans' career from being upwardly mobile.

I think for this point alone I'd be able to get behind the idea.
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:20 - May 19 with 717 viewsPendejo

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:17 - May 19 by Libero

But imagine if we managed to follow up an impossible promotion from 10th with promotion from Championship at "1st" attempt... Now that would wind up quite a few, marvellous... Make it so
[Post edited 19 May 2020 11:21]

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:21 - May 19 with 705 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:06 - May 19 by portmanking

On your last point - that's my primary reason for wanting us to sneak in the back door. It would be much more palatable knowing we've prevented Steve Evans' career from being upwardly mobile.

I’ve changed my mind, current standings it is!

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:23 - May 19 with 692 viewsSwansea_Blue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:14 - May 19 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Personally I don’t believe the playoff should be extended. I think there is a degree of logic in staging the usual 4 team playoff as that is what would usually happen at the end of a season, but by extending it then becomes an arbitrary decision as to how far down the table should be in - as you rightly point out Burton are theoretically right behind us so if we’re in with a chance then so are they

Ignoring that, PPG (or weighted PPG) should without a doubt be the metric used to determine the standings. Just taking the points gained so far is ludicrous when some teams have played more games than others - there is simply no justifiable explanation for it

Ultimately it is only being extended as the two biggest clubs in the division plus the most gobby are missing out currently, two of them by a narrow margin. It wouldn’t be happening if us, Sunderland and Peterborough were in the playoff places as it stands, and say Oxford, Wycombe and Fleetwood just outside

That this is even being considered absolutely stinks, quite frankly

I don't agree with extending the PO pool and I don't understand the logic of organising what's effectively a mini tournament if the reason they're having to make this decision in the first place is because they can't play games.
If they can play games they may as well carry on with the season. If they can't just end it now. Seems unnecessarily complex to me.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:26 - May 19 with 686 viewsm14_blue

I’ve changed my mind, it’s a brilliant idea 😁
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:26 - May 19 with 680 viewsSteve_M

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:03 - May 19 by SitfcB

If that happened and we went up, if you think I’d celebrate that then you’d be absolutely right!

#COYB

From a distance obviously.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:40 - May 19 with 646 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:23 - May 19 by Swansea_Blue

I don't agree with extending the PO pool and I don't understand the logic of organising what's effectively a mini tournament if the reason they're having to make this decision in the first place is because they can't play games.
If they can play games they may as well carry on with the season. If they can't just end it now. Seems unnecessarily complex to me.

Staging even an enlarged playoff is far less fixtures than everyone in the league playing 8-odd games each, so I’m not sure that argument really works

I just think it’s rubbish as obviously only being proposed to look after the interests of the big clubs

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:40 - May 19 with 650 viewsN2_Blue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:26 - May 19 by Steve_M

From a distance obviously.

To all those saying it would be a ridiculous way to go up and undeserved.

Well the season hasn't finished hence why this is being done.

One could argue the form needed to win an extended play-off may actually get us into the actual play-off should the league have been able to continue.

Based on the form and way we are playing its highly unlikely we'd need to concern ourselves with winning these if an 8-team play-off happened but should we win them i don't think it would be fair to say it's totally undeserved as that form would probably us see us sneak the top 6 in the league.

Personally they should just promote the top 2 and relegate two in my opinion

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:41 - May 19 with 637 viewscooperd5

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:26 - May 19 by m14_blue

I’ve changed my mind, it’s a brilliant idea 😁

I'd be happy for games to be played BCD and finish the season, if we get into P/O so much the beeter - we do have a relatively easy run-in....

But I just hope whatever is decided its done quickly!
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:47 - May 19 with 608 viewstractorboy1978

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:40 - May 19 by N2_Blue

One could argue the form needed to win an extended play-off may actually get us into the actual play-off should the league have been able to continue.

Based on the form and way we are playing its highly unlikely we'd need to concern ourselves with winning these if an 8-team play-off happened but should we win them i don't think it would be fair to say it's totally undeserved as that form would probably us see us sneak the top 6 in the league.

It's not really the same. Setting up and playing in a two legged play off game is a different prospect, with different pressures to playing league games. And we should know that from past play-off experiences more than anyone.

Although to be honest, all 'footballing integrity' has already gone out of the window as if we did come back playing with a full league you could end up with different looking squads and prevously injured players back fit anyway.
I have come up with a better way of deciding the promotion spots on 11:52 - May 19 with 595 viewsGeoffSentence

It should be decided based on the number of weeks that each team has spent top of the league. That's fair isn't it?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

I have come up with a better way of deciding the promotion spots on 11:58 - May 19 with 576 viewsPendejo

I have come up with a better way of deciding the promotion spots on 11:52 - May 19 by GeoffSentence

It should be decided based on the number of weeks that each team has spent top of the league. That's fair isn't it?

Works for me

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:59 - May 19 with 573 viewsGuthrum

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:40 - May 19 by N2_Blue

* Relegate three. Normally would be four in L1, but reduce by one for Bury being expelled.

That is something I keep forgetting, too.
[Post edited 19 May 2020 12:00]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:01 - May 19 with 559 viewsBrixtonBlue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:02 - May 19 by m14_blue

Yep, we don’t deserve to go up or even have a shot at it (we wouldn’t win it anyway).

Where would the pleasure be in scumming our way up like this, particularly in empty stadiums.

Whilst we have a mathematical chance of reaching the play offs then of course we deserve to have a shot at it. CV-19 wasn't our fault and if the rules happen to accommodate us then so be it.

I don't know why people are getting upset or embarrassed about it. All of this is out of our hands.

I know you all want us to fail just so we can get rid of Lambert, but if you look at it objectively we have been unable to complete our season through no fault of our own, and like it or not we could still have made the play offs. Feel free to be embarrassed by our current standing in the table - you're quite right, it's not good enough for ITFC - but if the rules are changed (and everyone's playing by those same rules) and we managed to get up, then there's absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about.

It will still be very tough to get up in this new proposed scenario, so if we managed it we'd have deserved it.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:05 - May 19 with 541 viewsBrixtonBlue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:11 - May 19 by Guthrum

If we won such a play-off, then we would deserve our place, yes. But that kind of shenanigans is very arbitrary*, has no precedent and shouldn't really exist in the first place.

* Why take it down to 10th place, when the lowest two of those are some way behind on points? 3rd to 8th would make more sense.

Because without CV-19 we could still make the play offs, however remote that might seem.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:07 - May 19 with 535 viewsBrixtonBlue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:12 - May 19 by Libero

If this happened and we went up it would be the most tinpot thing in the clubs history.

We don't make the rules so no, it wouldn't.

Your hatred of Lambert has got so strong now you actually want us to fail!

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 12:10 - May 19 with 525 viewsBrixtonBlue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:16 - May 19 by tractorboy1978

You have to deserve to be in that position to begin with. We are 10th, 7 points off the pace (effectively 8 points with GD) having played more games than all the teams above us. It reeks of us embarrassingly throwing our relative financial weight around to try and change the rules to suit us.
[Post edited 19 May 2020 11:17]

What have we done to try and change the rules?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024