Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition 20:05 - May 20 with 7634 viewsElderGrizzly

Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 23:31 - May 20 with 1272 viewsBryanPlug

Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 22:42 - May 20 by Ely_Blue

My only question on the whole thing is where are the police in all of this enforcing the legislation?

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 23:38 - May 20 with 1263 viewsSpruceMoose

Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 23:31 - May 20 by BryanPlug

Should just be allowed to club them into the sand and tase them into the sea /s

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 00:00 - May 21 with 1229 viewsEnigma_Blue

Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 21:05 - May 20 by Dubtractor

You know the public are stupid, I know the public are stupid, and the government bloody certainly know the public are stupid.

With all of this knowledge, surely the government KNEW that this would be the outcome?

The great British public being a bit stupid is hardly a new phenomenon is it?

It could be argued that if the government hadn't started to ease the lockdown then it could have lead to anti-lockdown protests from large sections of the public. Like what is happening in Madrid and Sao Paulo.

Sometimes I think governments are damned if they do and damned if they don't.
[Post edited 21 May 2020 0:02]
Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 00:15 - May 21 with 1211 viewsEly_Blue

Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 23:09 - May 20 by footers

'Obviously furloughed'

Are you on some kind of medication?

Under what circumstances would you normally see the beach in Sarfend that busy on a Wednesday in the middle of May?

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 00:18 - May 21 with 1209 viewsEly_Blue

Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 23:31 - May 20 by BryanPlug

Indeed but by not becoming a police state and “telling people what they must do” then you get this situation where the dullards can’t use the brain cell they have but some here would have you believe “it’s the governments fault”

As has been said - damned if they do, damned if they don’t

Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 01:04 - May 21 with 1193 viewsfactual_blue

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-devon-52742519

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 06:52 - May 21 with 1143 viewsGuthrum

Thing is, it isn't just problems with governmental vagueness. It's also the public's attitude of "Why shouldn't I be allowed to enjoy myself?" rather than "How can we sensibly avoid catching and spreading a nasty, potentially lethal disease?".

The authorities should not have to spell out in minutest detail what people are and are not allowed to do. They are not dealing with children, there ought to be a degree of adult common sense.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 06:59 - May 21 with 1131 viewsLibero

Most people really are intensely thick.
Login to get fewer ads

Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 07:13 - May 21 with 1122 viewsEly_Blue

Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 06:52 - May 21 by Guthrum

Thing is, it isn't just problems with governmental vagueness. It's also the public's attitude of "Why shouldn't I be allowed to enjoy myself?" rather than "How can we sensibly avoid catching and spreading a nasty, potentially lethal disease?".

The authorities should not have to spell out in minutest detail what people are and are not allowed to do. They are not dealing with children, there ought to be a degree of adult common sense.

This exactly

Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 07:21 - May 21 with 1115 viewsDanTheMan

Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 07:13 - May 21 by Ely_Blue

This exactly

Just going to point back to an earlier response that there are quite a lot of stupid people.

So actually if you start being vague about messages, this is precisely what I'd expect to happen. I'm sure this is just a minority in the grand scheme of things, but that's all it takes.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 07:25 - May 21 with 1110 viewsm14_blue

Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 06:52 - May 21 by Guthrum

I don’t think anyone has said it’s just a problem with government messaging.

However, this is exactly why messaging needs to be explicit and clear. It’s exactly what the devolved regions were warning about when we changed our message, it’s hardly surprising. Don’t the government have some of the best behavioural scientists in the world working with them?

And I’ll repeat again, none of this absolves people of personal responsibility, it just shows the utter stupidity of relying on ‘great British common sense’.
Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 07:28 - May 21 with 1108 viewsGuthrum

Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 07:25 - May 21 by m14_blue

I don’t think anyone has said it’s just a problem with government messaging.

However, this is exactly why messaging needs to be explicit and clear. It’s exactly what the devolved regions were warning about when we changed our message, it’s hardly surprising. Don’t the government have some of the best behavioural scientists in the world working with them?

And I’ll repeat again, none of this absolves people of personal responsibility, it just shows the utter stupidity of relying on ‘great British common sense’.

Behavioural scientists are all very well, but the strength of any message is partly dependent upon the person delivering it. As I said the other day, Johnson is not a clear and concise public speaker, for all his Churchillian aspirations.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 07:31 - May 21 with 1107 viewsVaughan8

I suppose these are the people who "want our country back".

Brexit - "We need to set our own rules for our country. It will be great"

Coronavirus - "I'm going to ignore any rules set in place by our government and take no responsibility" or "look at (say) Germany. We should have done what they did" haha

However the mixed messages have confused people. However you can't solely blame that. People need to take some responsibility. Should have just stuck with "stay at home" (as much as you can).

Problem is I've seen on Facebook (the place of reason......) people saying we just have to get on with our lives and to open pubs and restaurants etc. This isn't going to help that.
Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 07:44 - May 21 with 1087 viewsm14_blue

Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 07:28 - May 21 by Guthrum

Behavioural scientists are all very well, but the strength of any message is partly dependent upon the person delivering it. As I said the other day, Johnson is not a clear and concise public speaker, for all his Churchillian aspirations.

Yep, it’s a toxic combination of weak leadership and people being idiots.
Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 07:52 - May 21 with 1080 viewsThe_Major

To be honest, it's the huge sense of exceptionalism we have here. The idea that the rules should apply to someone else. It's the person caught going 47mph on Landseer Road saying that the police should go and catch some real criminals.

Jack Dee summed this up perfectly once. He said he was on holiday in Australia, sitting on Bondi Beach, whereupon he noticed that lifeguards were moving amongst the crowds dispensing advice about making sure they weren't in the sun too long. And this advice was received with thanks by everyone apart from the other group of Brits on the beach:

"I think I'LL be the judge of that, thank you."

That's what we're dealing with.
Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 08:03 - May 21 with 1061 viewsMullet

I blame their teachers.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 08:06 - May 21 with 1053 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

*Boris and govt shrug shoulders*
"You see, what can you do!"

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 08:07 - May 21 with 1054 viewspointofblue

Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 07:21 - May 21 by DanTheMan

Just going to point back to an earlier response that there are quite a lot of stupid people.

So actually if you start being vague about messages, this is precisely what I'd expect to happen. I'm sure this is just a minority in the grand scheme of things, but that's all it takes.

I don’t think it’s stupidity, I think it’s selfishness. The desire for fresh air and the seafront trumps everything and, as Covid-19’s death rate is low in terms of percentages, they take the “I’ll be alright” approach and do what they want. Stay Alert is not that difficult to comprehend even though it’s been understandably mocked - it’s not confusion which is causing this, it’s pure self-entitlement.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 08:38 - May 21 with 1024 viewsitfcjoe

It came out on Politico that the Alert in Stay Alert was supposed to be instructions.....as in Stay A.L.E.R.T.

That was then dropped, but they stuck with the word 'Alert' and then all went on front foot to try and claim it is obvious what it means, when it was only used to try and get a different message across!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 08:40 - May 21 with 1019 viewsLibero

Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 08:38 - May 21 by itfcjoe

It came out on Politico that the Alert in Stay Alert was supposed to be instructions.....as in Stay A.L.E.R.T.

That was then dropped, but they stuck with the word 'Alert' and then all went on front foot to try and claim it is obvious what it means, when it was only used to try and get a different message across!

Any idea what words made up the acronym before scrapped?
Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 08:44 - May 21 with 1011 viewsitfcjoe

Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 08:40 - May 21 by Libero

No, not been leaked as yet!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 08:44 - May 21 with 1012 viewsDanTheMan

Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 08:40 - May 21 by Libero

Doesn't say in the article:
https://www.politico.eu/article/boris-johnsons-coronavirus-fudge/

Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 08:46 - May 21 with 1008 viewsGeoffSentence

This is another one of those shots where they use a telephoto lens to make it look like people are on top of one another when they aren't isn't it.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 08:56 - May 21 with 991 viewsDanTheMan

Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 08:46 - May 21 by GeoffSentence

This is another one of those shots where they use a telephoto lens to make it look like people are on top of one another when they aren't isn't it.

That does not seem likely in this case.

It's on the beach level, it doesn't look distorted at all.

And also:

Sarfend - Where’s Wally - Covid Edition on 09:07 - May 21 with 971 viewsEly_Blue

And I’ll go back to what I posted earlier

https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus

What’s not to understand?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024