Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Black lives matter... 23:53 - Jun 6 with 14967 viewsGirthyguy

I'm sure il get banned for this but why do black lives matter more than any other colour? I really don't give a monkeys C..T what colour skin or religion anyone is aslong as they respect anyone of any religion or colour opposing their own. Is there any statistics out their proving Injustices whether it be white cops killing black suspects or vice versa. Just through personal experience black people get a free pass to racially abuse White people because of what I can only assume as their historical past. Can somebody please set the record straight for me and prove via facts that these protests are worth more than the lives it will kill and destroy due to the lack of social distancing. After all the BAME community are more susceptible to this killer virus that's sweeping across the world. Ps. I just want to be educated so I can understand better the reasons behind this rebellion that's probably going to cause more death and suffering than good.

Thank you.
Black lives matter... on 23:55 - Jun 6 with 5558 viewsvapour_trail

Alright girth.

They don’t essentially.

But they’re historically and currently valued less. Hence the movement.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Black lives matter... on 23:55 - Jun 6 with 5563 viewssparks

They don't matter more. The point is that they appear to be under greater day to day threat...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Black lives matter... on 00:00 - Jun 7 with 5525 viewsSpruceMoose

Imagine being at a funeral, just as the eulogy is starting you rush the stage, grab the mic and yell 'everyone else matters too you know!'

That's what saying all lives matter is doing. Nobody is saying some lives are worth more than others, they're saying that right now all lives aren't treated equally.

Another example I've stolen from elsewhere would be:

Imagine you are sitting at a table for dinner with your family. Whenever the food comes to you, the person passes it right past you to the next person. Everyone has food except for you, sitting there with an empty plate.

"I deserve my fair share!" you reasonably protest.

"We *all* deserve our fair share!" says your ignorant uncle., without even addressing the fact that you have no food and you are the one being sh1t on.

Saying "Black Lives Matter" is not saying that all lives don't matter, it's pointing out that black people are being treated in a way that seems like they don't really matter. It's basically short for "Black lives matter, just like every other life matters." When you say "All lives matter" you sound like that ignorant uncle and it is a way to ignore the message, rather than actually listen to what they are saying.

Fwiw, you shouldn't be banned for asking an honest question.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2020 0:02]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Black lives matter... on 00:10 - Jun 7 with 5454 viewsWeWereZombies

Black lives matter... on 00:00 - Jun 7 by SpruceMoose

Imagine being at a funeral, just as the eulogy is starting you rush the stage, grab the mic and yell 'everyone else matters too you know!'

That's what saying all lives matter is doing. Nobody is saying some lives are worth more than others, they're saying that right now all lives aren't treated equally.

Imagine you are sitting at a table for dinner with your family. Whenever the food comes to you, the person passes it right past you to the next person. Everyone has food except for you, sitting there with an empty plate.

"We *all* deserve our fair share!" says your ignorant uncle., without even addressing the fact that you have no food and you are the one being sh1t on.

Saying "Black Lives Matter" is not saying that all lives don't matter, it's pointing out that black people are being treated in a way that seems like they don't really matter. It's basically short for "Black lives matter, just like every other life matters." When you say "All lives matter" you sound like that ignorant uncle and it is a way to ignore the message, rather than actually listen to what they are saying.

Just to add a note on this, things may not be perfect in Britain but on both my trips to the United States I have seen markedly different treatment based on skin colour than I would have expected. I cannot be the only white Brit who has asked the way in the States and been told 'Whatever you do keep away from such and such a neighbourhood' and replied 'But I have just come from there, it was fine'. The conversation then goes onto something like 'You were lucky, that was a one off'. You walk on puzzled and then it strikes you, the only thing different about the neighbourhood discussed is that it was predominantly black. Unfortunately there is a short circuit in the brains of much of white America that judges black people before they even do anything.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Black lives matter... on 00:13 - Jun 7 with 5437 viewsSimonds92

Black lives matter... on 00:20 - Jun 7 with 5382 viewsjeera

For people who don't understand the Black Lives Matter movement, George Floyd was just one of the latest examples

This is the ongoing result of hundreds of years of a belief that somehow black people are a sub-species. The term was not created to be separatist, but to highlight the single aspect of a human being that affects one section of society more than some others.

It means that when we hear the term White Privilege, it's not intended as an insult. It simply means that we, (white people), do not get treated that way as a matter of course because of our colour.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Black lives matter... on 00:21 - Jun 7 with 5394 viewsGirthyguy

Black lives matter... on 00:00 - Jun 7 by SpruceMoose

I understand what you are saying. I also asked for the statistical info that proves Black Americans (or from whatever country) are treated indifferently to white people. This is a very difficult position as these protests are justifiable but are they during a pandemic that ironically going to kill more BAME people than any other person.
Black lives matter... on 00:25 - Jun 7 with 5380 viewsTrequartista

Others have answered the black lives matter well already - not sure which terms would constitute racial abuse of white people, there can't really be many with any power as white people have never suffered significant oppression - agree about the London marches, killing people by spreading coronavirus trumps worthy demonstration, but police are probably wise not to wade in and social distance the marches, the Ipswich one looked well spaced out from above tbf.

Another thing is going to be now that it has been identified that BAME people are more at risk to COVID-19, it is going to be very difficult to implement any recommendations from this as any new guidelines for BAME people will be racist by definition.

And finally, very refreshing that no-one has shut you down with saying you are just racist (so far). The more debate, the more can be learned.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2020 0:28]

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Login to get fewer ads

Black lives matter... on 00:32 - Jun 7 with 5344 viewsSpruceMoose

Black lives matter... on 00:21 - Jun 7 by Girthyguy

I understand what you are saying. I also asked for the statistical info that proves Black Americans (or from whatever country) are treated indifferently to white people. This is a very difficult position as these protests are justifiable but are they during a pandemic that ironically going to kill more BAME people than any other person.

I can't do every country but I can talk to the situation in the US

Basically, pick a metric, black people will be worse off than white people. Health, education, justice, economics, employment...

Regarding the the protests and COVID. COVID has already killed black people at a significantly higher rate than white people. That has socioeconomic roots, which is part of what is being protested. Even without the protests black people would be dying at a significantly higher rate, and ultimately there would be no change.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2020 3:10]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Black lives matter... on 00:34 - Jun 7 with 5338 viewsSpruceMoose

Black lives matter... on 00:25 - Jun 7 by Trequartista

Others have answered the black lives matter well already - not sure which terms would constitute racial abuse of white people, there can't really be many with any power as white people have never suffered significant oppression - agree about the London marches, killing people by spreading coronavirus trumps worthy demonstration, but police are probably wise not to wade in and social distance the marches, the Ipswich one looked well spaced out from above tbf.

Another thing is going to be now that it has been identified that BAME people are more at risk to COVID-19, it is going to be very difficult to implement any recommendations from this as any new guidelines for BAME people will be racist by definition.

And finally, very refreshing that no-one has shut you down with saying you are just racist (so far). The more debate, the more can be learned.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2020 0:28]

It's not that hard to detect who is genuinely wanting to learn about something and who is just concern trolling. The people who get both barrels tend to deserve it in my opinion.

Black lives matter... on 01:04 - Jun 7 with 5270 viewsTrequartista

Black lives matter... on 00:34 - Jun 7 by SpruceMoose

It's not that hard to detect who is genuinely wanting to learn about something and who is just concern trolling. The people who get both barrels tend to deserve it in my opinion.

I am pretty sure that, on previous occasions, lines similar to "Just through personal experience black people get a free pass to racially abuse White people" have been immediately shot down as racist rather than debated or challenged - but let's not be petty here i upped your post, especially for your last line, where previously i have criticised you so a good place to end the night i feel.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2020 1:05]

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Black lives matter... on 01:19 - Jun 7 with 5222 viewsSpruceMoose

Black lives matter... on 01:04 - Jun 7 by Trequartista

I am pretty sure that, on previous occasions, lines similar to "Just through personal experience black people get a free pass to racially abuse White people" have been immediately shot down as racist rather than debated or challenged - but let's not be petty here i upped your post, especially for your last line, where previously i have criticised you so a good place to end the night i feel.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2020 1:05]

Fair does. Like you say, that's not the important thing. Good night trekkers.

Black lives matter... on 03:25 - Jun 7 with 5115 viewsIllinoisblue

Have you been completely detached from the news media your whole life?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Black lives matter... on 06:29 - Jun 7 with 5024 viewsbluelagos

Couple of points.

1. They don't and I am yet to hear anyone say black live matter more than white lives. Not sure where you are picking that up from, but as someone who actually attended the Ipswich demo, I can assure you the speakers and the mood was very much about black people being treated equally.

2. Another theme was 'educate yourself'. Which is something you appear happy to do so hats off assuming that is genuine.

3. If you want stats on how black people fare in the justice system they are out there. David Lammy did a thorough report for the conservative government a few years back. Well worth googling some of the press coverage from the time.

4. In terms of the risks to BAME and others from the protests, can only observe what occured in Ipswich. The organiser moved the demo to Christchurch Park so social distancing would be easier. And it was socially distanced. People wore masks, one kind lady even handed free ones out to anyone who needed one.

5. Other areas, such as London clearly were not as well socially distanced. I guess I'd flip the question here. How angry and frustrated must people be to knowingly risk their own health yet still feel the need for protest over police brutality and injustice towards people of colour?

6. Last one from me, one speaker asked "Ask why are we still here demonstrating 50 years after the American civil rights movement?" The answer for me, is because the police keep on killing innocent people, with little accountability for their actions. Others may have their own reasons.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Black lives matter... on 09:03 - Jun 7 with 4834 viewsCBBlue

Black lives matter... on 00:21 - Jun 7 by Girthyguy

A friend shared this, I think it explains systemic racism in the US really well and there are some stats in there too for you....

[Post edited 7 Jun 2020 9:04]

Poll: School on Monday - are you sending in your R, Y1 or Y6 kids?

Black lives matter... on 09:47 - Jun 7 with 4710 viewsmikeybloo88

Black lives matter... on 06:29 - Jun 7 by bluelagos

Couple of points.

1. They don't and I am yet to hear anyone say black live matter more than white lives. Not sure where you are picking that up from, but as someone who actually attended the Ipswich demo, I can assure you the speakers and the mood was very much about black people being treated equally.

2. Another theme was 'educate yourself'. Which is something you appear happy to do so hats off assuming that is genuine.

3. If you want stats on how black people fare in the justice system they are out there. David Lammy did a thorough report for the conservative government a few years back. Well worth googling some of the press coverage from the time.

4. In terms of the risks to BAME and others from the protests, can only observe what occured in Ipswich. The organiser moved the demo to Christchurch Park so social distancing would be easier. And it was socially distanced. People wore masks, one kind lady even handed free ones out to anyone who needed one.

5. Other areas, such as London clearly were not as well socially distanced. I guess I'd flip the question here. How angry and frustrated must people be to knowingly risk their own health yet still feel the need for protest over police brutality and injustice towards people of colour?

6. Last one from me, one speaker asked "Ask why are we still here demonstrating 50 years after the American civil rights movement?" The answer for me, is because the police keep on killing innocent people, with little accountability for their actions. Others may have their own reasons.

Just to sy they're knowingly risking other peoples health too...if it was just their own health at risk I'd say fine, go protest all you want, only you can catch covid from squashing into a London square with 15000 others....but it isn't, is it? No mass gatherings, whether attempting to socially distance or not, should be happening, be that protests, on beaches or whatever...for the good of us all no matter what our colour.
Black lives matter... on 09:50 - Jun 7 with 4702 viewsjimmyvet

Black lives matter... on 09:03 - Jun 7 by CBBlue

A friend shared this, I think it explains systemic racism in the US really well and there are some stats in there too for you....

[Post edited 7 Jun 2020 9:04]

Thank you for that video it’s so clear and simple to understanding 👍 the issues and why they exist and it also highlights the need for a fair playing so all can prosper.

Educating all on this issue is really important.
Black lives matter... on 09:58 - Jun 7 with 4672 viewslowhouseblue

if you reduce hugely complex stuff down to three words you're going to miss a great deal - but that doesn't mean that racial discrimination and injustice isn't very real. equally if you talk about white privilege that doesn't mean that there aren't also other forms of privilege operating at the same time. but if you're going to focus on one issue - following an appalling illustration of it - you can't simultaneously talk about everything else.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Black lives matter... on 10:08 - Jun 7 with 4626 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I think to explain the BLM movement to people who say all lives matter, it's fairly simply.

They are not saying black lives matter more, they are saying black lives matter TOO.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Black lives matter... on 11:20 - Jun 7 with 4488 viewsRadlett_blue

Black lives matter... on 10:08 - Jun 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

I think to explain the BLM movement to people who say all lives matter, it's fairly simply.

They are not saying black lives matter more, they are saying black lives matter TOO.

I watched 13th on Netflix last night & would highly recommend it. It focuses on the huge explosion in the US prison population over the past 30 years or so and the disproportionate impact on blacks & hispanics, despite a crime rate in the US which has actually been falling. Pretty much all the participants were articulate & thoughtful including, surprisingly, Newt Gingrich, who decried the heavy sentences doled out to users of crack cocaine.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Black lives matter... on 11:29 - Jun 7 with 4456 viewsunstableblue

It’s simple, when there is:

Systemic racism in society
When black youth have less social mobility and prospects
When there is a significantly higher prison population who are black
When a significantly higher proportion of police violence including deaths is against black people

Then you have to emphasise the point that they do matter, when we have equality you don’t have to say it

‘Free pass racially abuse white people’ what a load of bollox

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Black lives matter... on 12:17 - Jun 7 with 4401 viewsRyorry

Black lives matter... on 00:20 - Jun 7 by jeera

For people who don't understand the Black Lives Matter movement, George Floyd was just one of the latest examples

This is the ongoing result of hundreds of years of a belief that somehow black people are a sub-species. The term was not created to be separatist, but to highlight the single aspect of a human being that affects one section of society more than some others.

It means that when we hear the term White Privilege, it's not intended as an insult. It simply means that we, (white people), do not get treated that way as a matter of course because of our colour.

I might get shot down for this, but I've always thought the 'White Privilege' term rather misleading & could have been done better. I know BAME people obviously have the right to choose their terms, but so often this one is misunderstood by & understandably angers white people who are, eg, homeless & living rough; or looking for work & living on a pittance which means having to choose between heat or eat with their families in overcrowded conditions etc.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Black lives matter... on 12:23 - Jun 7 with 4386 viewsHerbivore

Black lives matter... on 12:17 - Jun 7 by Ryorry

I might get shot down for this, but I've always thought the 'White Privilege' term rather misleading & could have been done better. I know BAME people obviously have the right to choose their terms, but so often this one is misunderstood by & understandably angers white people who are, eg, homeless & living rough; or looking for work & living on a pittance which means having to choose between heat or eat with their families in overcrowded conditions etc.

The term isn't misleading. White privilege doesn't imply that all white people are diving into swimming pools full of gold like Scrooge McDuck. It means that there are many things that we can take for granted that black people can't. Like that when we apply for a job we will be assessed on our merit, not our name and skin colour. Like when we use a counterfeit cheque or banknote and encounter the police, we'll end up with a fine or doing community service, as opposed to ending up dead. The fact that white people complain about white privilege is in itself a manifestation of it.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Black lives matter... on 12:26 - Jun 7 with 4371 viewsfooters

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Black lives matter... on 12:28 - Jun 7 with 4364 viewsRyorry

Black lives matter... on 12:23 - Jun 7 by Herbivore

The term isn't misleading. White privilege doesn't imply that all white people are diving into swimming pools full of gold like Scrooge McDuck. It means that there are many things that we can take for granted that black people can't. Like that when we apply for a job we will be assessed on our merit, not our name and skin colour. Like when we use a counterfeit cheque or banknote and encounter the police, we'll end up with a fine or doing community service, as opposed to ending up dead. The fact that white people complain about white privilege is in itself a manifestation of it.

Well yes, people who trouble to educate themselves (like most on this thread thankfully) get to understand that - the problem is the tens of millions (hundreds of millions globally?) who don't, and assume that it means *all* white people are said to be living privileged lives - was my point.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024