Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol 15:41 - Jun 7 with 28329 viewsMullet

Wanton act of destruction? Political statement? Bad PR?

I'm not sure this is quite the same as when they pulled down statues of Saddam in Iraq for example. Strikes me as simply ammo for the critics and little else.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 18:54 - Jun 7 with 1472 viewsgordon

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 18:52 - Jun 7 by GlasgowBlue

I do. We shall see.

I'm sure you'll be enthusiastically letting us know.

Edit - I see this point was already made.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2020 18:55]
Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 18:56 - Jun 7 with 1444 viewsSpruceMoose

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 18:54 - Jun 7 by gordon

I'm sure you'll be enthusiastically letting us know.

Edit - I see this point was already made.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2020 18:55]

Don't worry, he's got me on ignore. King of his own echo chamber.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 18:58 - Jun 7 with 1445 viewsGeoffSentence

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 17:12 - Jun 7 by gordon

Not sure I follow. Colston is in the harbour now, it'd be a brave council that paid to have pulled out and put back on his plinth.

If Bristol have councillors like some of those in Suffolk, whose output has been shown on here today, there will be some of them backing just that idea.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 19:00 - Jun 7 with 1444 viewsBlueBadger

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 18:38 - Jun 7 by GlasgowBlue

You know me better than that badger.

I'm saying quite the opposite. The police presence will be upped and the people that the police are more likely to come down on are the black community.

The far right will blame BLM and black people in particular for the actions of white privileged people. They will be on twitter and facebbock firing up the knuckle dragger.

White people may have torn the statue down but black people will be blamed for it.

'Don't do this, because it will upset racists' is the sort of thing I'd expect from...well....someone a lot worse than you Glassers.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 19:01 - Jun 7 with 1439 viewsgordon

This is how 'let's just put a new plaque up' works in practise, btw:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/second-colston-statue-plaque-not
Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 19:04 - Jun 7 with 1422 viewsjeera

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 17:49 - Jun 7 by ElephantintheRoom

What sort of idiot does that make you?

Give over. This made no sense at all in any context:

"do we stop eating cod, just because off-cuts were sent to the west indies to support the slave trade "

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 19:04 - Jun 7 with 1416 viewsBlueBadger

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 19:00 - Jun 7 by BlueBadger

'Don't do this, because it will upset racists' is the sort of thing I'd expect from...well....someone a lot worse than you Glassers.

A LOT worse. Like, 'village green' worse.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 19:06 - Jun 7 with 1416 viewsgordon

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 19:00 - Jun 7 by BlueBadger

It's dismal. But where on earth does he get it from? Daniel Hannan? Toby Young? Katie Hopkins? Is it still Guido-Fawkes? Somewhere worse?
Login to get fewer ads

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 19:07 - Jun 7 with 1407 viewsBlueBadger

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 15:55 - Jun 7 by factual_blue

Our history though is littered with examples we've 'forgotten' or - to put it another way 'ignored'. The English Armada of 1589, the Croke Park massacre.

And of course, so many of our lauded battles are examples of instances of either romanticised instances of not losing (Waterloo) or obvious defeats (Arnhem). In Anthony Beevor's book on Arnhem he quotes a Guards officer's comment that 'we weren't taught to kill and win, we were taught how to die'.

A few people yesterday were outraged that Douglas Haig's statue was defaced.
A few people clearly don't know enough about the main whom the phrase 'lions led by donkeys' was coined to describe.

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 19:20 - Jun 7 with 1361 viewsGlasgowBlue

I'm not bothered about upsetting racists. I'm concerned that black people are going to suffer because of the actions of privileged white people.

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol by GlasgowBlue 7 Jun 2020 18:46
So you don't think that the police presence at these hot spots will be increased?

You don't think that an increased police presence will lead to a disproportionate number of black people being stopped and searched?

You don't think that the far right will fire up their racist foot soldiers that this vandalism was the fault of people of colour?

You don't think that black people will be blamed for the vandalism regardless that the majority involved were white?

Edit. I really don't think I can be any clearer.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2020 19:20]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 19:22 - Jun 7 with 1355 viewsBlueBadger

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 18:39 - Jun 7 by SpruceMoose

Who knows. But I wish he'd stop. I feel embarrassed for him.

I'm a Glassers fan, he's up there with Herbers, Guffers, Stokie, Ryorry and (Boris fetish aside) Lucan as aTWTD Voice of Reason but this is a bit.....I don't know.

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 19:22 - Jun 7 with 1352 viewsgordon

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 19:20 - Jun 7 by GlasgowBlue

I'm not bothered about upsetting racists. I'm concerned that black people are going to suffer because of the actions of privileged white people.

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol by GlasgowBlue 7 Jun 2020 18:46
So you don't think that the police presence at these hot spots will be increased?

You don't think that an increased police presence will lead to a disproportionate number of black people being stopped and searched?

You don't think that the far right will fire up their racist foot soldiers that this vandalism was the fault of people of colour?

You don't think that black people will be blamed for the vandalism regardless that the majority involved were white?

Edit. I really don't think I can be any clearer.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2020 19:20]

If you don't think you can be clearer, at least there's no point in you trying to explain again.
Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 19:23 - Jun 7 with 1350 viewsGlasgowBlue

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 19:06 - Jun 7 by gordon

It's dismal. But where on earth does he get it from? Daniel Hannan? Toby Young? Katie Hopkins? Is it still Guido-Fawkes? Somewhere worse?

Are you deliberately ignoring what I am concerned about. I dion't want to see a black lad get a kicking from a racist because of actions he took no part in.

I don't want to see the police leaning even harder on young black lads because of actions they had no part in.

Read this post again.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 19:27 - Jun 7 with 1331 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 18:09 - Jun 7 by GlasgowBlue

Careful now. Not a popular view on here.

No.....over there!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 19:30 - Jun 7 with 1322 viewsgordon

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 19:23 - Jun 7 by GlasgowBlue

Are you deliberately ignoring what I am concerned about. I dion't want to see a black lad get a kicking from a racist because of actions he took no part in.

I don't want to see the police leaning even harder on young black lads because of actions they had no part in.

Read this post again.

I read it and understood it the first time.
Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 19:37 - Jun 7 with 1305 viewseireblue

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 19:22 - Jun 7 by gordon

If you don't think you can be clearer, at least there's no point in you trying to explain again.

There are clearly PoC in the crowd, seemingly quite happy to be pulling down the statue.

A person recently posted that something along the lines, people that suffer from racism can choose how they want to respond to racism.

Maybe they want to respond to racism by pulling down statues, alongside other supportive people.

Unless that crowd was exclusive middle class and white, I am not sure what GB’s point is.

I have a horrible feeling he is trying to make a left/right point.

E.g. his form of solidarity as a middle class white person, is somehow better than other middle class white people.
Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 19:37 - Jun 7 with 1311 viewsBlueBadger

Apparently Bristol Constabulary are now saying that it just 'tripped and fell down some stairs'.

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 19:38 - Jun 7 with 1299 viewsBlueBadger

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 16:43 - Jun 7 by BanksterDebtSlave

Criminal....weigh it in don't throw it in the river.

Well played, well played.

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 19:50 - Jun 7 with 1258 viewsitfcjoe

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 19:23 - Jun 7 by GlasgowBlue

Read this post again.

I agree with you, white privilege in full flow.

Black Lives Matter should be supported by white people, not overtaken by them

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 19:57 - Jun 7 with 1244 viewsvapour_trail

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 19:50 - Jun 7 by itfcjoe

Was it a white crowd that pulled it down then? Bristol is a pretty multi-cultural place. I did see a picture of some black dudes kneeling on the neck of the statue after it came down.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 20:00 - Jun 7 with 1232 viewseireblue

Why would you and presumably Glassers assume the action was not initiated by PoC.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jun/07/blm-protesters-topple-statue-of-
Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 20:00 - Jun 7 with 1228 viewsitfcjoe

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 19:57 - Jun 7 by vapour_trail

Was it a white crowd that pulled it down then? Bristol is a pretty multi-cultural place. I did see a picture of some black dudes kneeling on the neck of the statue after it came down.

From what I could see, when it was pulled down I could barely see a BAME face there, with obvious proviso that it was on phone footage. All those jumping on it straight away were white, or at very least large majority were

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 20:01 - Jun 7 with 1225 viewsitfcjoe

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 20:00 - Jun 7 by eireblue

Why would you and presumably Glassers assume the action was not initiated by PoC.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jun/07/blm-protesters-topple-statue-of-

From watching the video

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 20:11 - Jun 7 with 1187 viewsgordon

Is everyone OK with this?

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 20:12 - Jun 7 with 1179 viewsfooters

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 20:00 - Jun 7 by itfcjoe

From what I could see, when it was pulled down I could barely see a BAME face there, with obvious proviso that it was on phone footage. All those jumping on it straight away were white, or at very least large majority were

And? We as white people can also reject symbols of racism and oppression in our own culture. Incredibly even very nice statues that have been part of the town since zzzzz......

A statue of a slave trader is a pretty blatant example. And if you're waiting for the BAME community to tell us what to police in our own extremely white world, then I'm afraid you may be waiting for a while. They've got enough on.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2020 20:13]

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024