Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol 15:41 - Jun 7 with 28335 viewsMullet

Wanton act of destruction? Political statement? Bad PR?

I'm not sure this is quite the same as when they pulled down statues of Saddam in Iraq for example. Strikes me as simply ammo for the critics and little else.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 10:46 - Jun 8 with 3633 viewsDarth_Koont

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 10:28 - Jun 8 by Radlett_blue

Here is an excellent, if lengthy, group of tweets on this subject from Professor Kate Williams & it explains how you deal with such issues is fraught with risk as you can't please everyone.

Good thread there.

And true, you can't please everyone. Although I find it's best as a father and human being to please those who most legitimately need pleasing. Even if that means spelling out that all opinions and all emotion are not equal on the matter. Ultimately, if there's an objective right and wrong that can be applied, then that must guide us.

All in all, doing the right thing should upset some people or we're not doing it right.

Pronouns: He/Him

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 11:47 - Jun 8 with 3560 viewsMullet

Thanks to everyone who provided the Bristolian context. I knew they had been fighting over Colston for a while but the depth of feeling and inaction is depressing.

I do still feel this has emboldened the nutters and racists and it did take me back to incidents like the asshole who rented a van in Wales and used it to run over Muslims in London based on similar sorts of commentary.

The fact that little Stephen Yaxley Lennon has crept out from under his rock and the like is what I expected and worry about. They don't do their violence on statues but people after all.

Perhaps this means the silent majority amongst have to act not just talk now?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 12:55 - Jun 8 with 3488 viewsGlasgowBlue

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 11:47 - Jun 8 by Mullet

Thanks to everyone who provided the Bristolian context. I knew they had been fighting over Colston for a while but the depth of feeling and inaction is depressing.

I do still feel this has emboldened the nutters and racists and it did take me back to incidents like the asshole who rented a van in Wales and used it to run over Muslims in London based on similar sorts of commentary.

The fact that little Stephen Yaxley Lennon has crept out from under his rock and the like is what I expected and worry about. They don't do their violence on statues but people after all.

Your middle two paragraphs are exactly the same fears as those expressed by Joe and myself. Expect to be pilled on when our New York correspondent wakes up and stirs his troops into action.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 13:10 - Jun 8 with 3453 viewsDarth_Koont

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 12:55 - Jun 8 by GlasgowBlue

Your middle two paragraphs are exactly the same fears as those expressed by Joe and myself. Expect to be pilled on when our New York correspondent wakes up and stirs his troops into action.

Just a thought but maybe it's your agenda shining through? You've been going around putting a target on white people and specifically left-wingers since the start. Trying to make it about them and not the black people who are also angry and pulling down statues and throwing them into the docks.

You're disturbingly close to the right-wing populists in how you characterise the protests.

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 13:20 - Jun 8 with 3421 viewsSpruceMoose

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 12:55 - Jun 8 by GlasgowBlue

How old are you? If you're going to talk to about me your should at least have the decency to take me off ignore.

Whilst I appreciate your new found zeal in roleplaying an anti racist for internet and ConClubCard points, I'd appreciate it if you could leave my home out of it.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2020 13:22]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 13:29 - Jun 8 with 3389 viewsgiant_stow

Just as a by the by, does anyone know if they're going to leave the statue in the river or not?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 13:30 - Jun 8 with 3377 viewsfooters

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 13:20 - Jun 8 by SpruceMoose

How old are you? If you're going to talk to about me your should at least have the decency to take me off ignore.

Whilst I appreciate your new found zeal in roleplaying an anti racist for internet and ConClubCard points, I'd appreciate it if you could leave my home out of it.

"People who disagree with my opinion must all be in cahoots with each other." Delusional.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 13:30 - Jun 8 with 3371 viewsSpruceMoose

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 13:10 - Jun 8 by Darth_Koont

Just a thought but maybe it's your agenda shining through? You've been going around putting a target on white people and specifically left-wingers since the start. Trying to make it about them and not the black people who are also angry and pulling down statues and throwing them into the docks.

You're disturbingly close to the right-wing populists in how you characterise the protests.

Yup. It's the stunts and silly little digs like this that make people think (and several of them have actually PMd me about it) that GB doesn't actually care about any of this. I didn't used to agree, but these days I'm finding that harder and harder.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2020 13:31]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Login to get fewer ads

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 13:34 - Jun 8 with 3350 viewsDarth_Koont

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 13:30 - Jun 8 by SpruceMoose

Yup. It's the stunts and silly little digs like this that make people think (and several of them have actually PMd me about it) that GB doesn't actually care about any of this. I didn't used to agree, but these days I'm finding that harder and harder.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2020 13:31]

I can't say what I think out of respect for Phil.

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 13:35 - Jun 8 with 3340 viewsSpruceMoose

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 13:34 - Jun 8 by Darth_Koont

I can't say what I think out of respect for Phil.

Agree to definitely agree. Let's move on before Gibbers gets what he wants - more attention and another derailed thread.

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 13:36 - Jun 8 with 3333 viewsLankHenners

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 13:29 - Jun 8 by giant_stow

Just as a by the by, does anyone know if they're going to leave the statue in the river or not?

They're going to retrieve it at some point (if they haven't already) and likely stick it in a museum somewhere.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 13:39 - Jun 8 with 3302 viewsDarth_Koont

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 13:29 - Jun 8 by giant_stow

EDL Scuba Division are on the case.

But I expect it'll be quietly removed, under the dead of night. and buried in a warehouse somewhere. Hopefully to re-emerge as an exhibit, spray paint and all, in a Black History or Civil Rights museum.

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 13:39 - Jun 8 with 3305 viewsclive_baker

Would've thought they would fish it out at some stage. Very much doubt it'll ever go back up, but should probably find a home somewhere that reflects on the time and creates positive change and education as to the barbaric nature of the slave trade. This is a great opportunity for the fine city of Bristol.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 13:53 - Jun 8 with 3257 viewsjaykay

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 13:20 - Jun 8 by SpruceMoose

i think he trying to push certain buttons. i think that sort of thing happened to calis and he bit and look what happened to him.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 14:00 - Jun 8 with 3229 viewsPinewoodblue

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 11:47 - Jun 8 by Mullet

Put the statue back up but add a plaque explaining why in 21st Century it is wrong to honour the man. The past should not be ignored we should learn from it.

Mind you I doubt very much the wording of the plaque could be agreed.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 14:08 - Jun 8 with 3207 viewssparks

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 14:00 - Jun 8 by Pinewoodblue

Put the statue back up but add a plaque explaining why in 21st Century it is wrong to honour the man. The past should not be ignored we should learn from it.

It would be foolish to put it back up. Can you imagine the protest and confrontation on that day?

I rather like the symbollism of the empty plinth.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 14:25 - Jun 8 with 3176 viewsSwansea_Blue

Keir Starmer tying himself up in knots trying to be seen as sympathetic to the issue but also not condoning the act of pulling it down.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 14:28 - Jun 8 with 3166 viewsSwansea_Blue

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 13:39 - Jun 8 by clive_baker

Would've thought they would fish it out at some stage. Very much doubt it'll ever go back up, but should probably find a home somewhere that reflects on the time and creates positive change and education as to the barbaric nature of the slave trade. This is a great opportunity for the fine city of Bristol.

The Bristol Mayor has said they'll fish it out and stick it in a museum where it belongs (together with all the people who're still wanging on about it being an afforont to tRuw PaYtriUts hopefully).
[Post edited 8 Jun 2020 17:04]

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 14:46 - Jun 8 with 3128 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 21:10 - Jun 7 by itfcjoe

It seems his statue coming down today has educated more people about him than leaving it up for another hundred years would have done

Can’t be a*sed to comment on most of the nonsense in this thread but this is such a good point. Happy to confess I had no clue such a divisive statue existed and that we still had monuments celebrating such figures standing in 2020.

So yes, as a sample of one this absolutely has increased my awareness

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 15:44 - Jun 8 with 3069 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 08:23 - Jun 8 by gordon

At my university I'm involved in a cross-disciplinary research project led by a Human Geography Professor. He researches the metaphorical non-linearities of the world-ocean space as an imagined reality. Or something. After every conversation with him I wish I had a proper job.

I think we did that in 6th form.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 15:53 - Jun 8 with 3049 viewsHalf_Idiot

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 15:50 - Jun 7 by clive_baker

I think it’s a dangerous precedent to try and eradicate history from memories. Where do you stop? Change all street names? Colston School, change the name? I think rather it should remain, but be contextualised and used as a reminder of how far we’ve come, not celebrated, but not erased from memory. Slippery slope.

It is important to remember that part of history but not memorialise it with a statue!
Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 16:50 - Jun 8 with 3006 viewsTJS

I'm not sure of the historical value of this statue - I think it was only put up in 1895 wasn't it.
Pulling it down is probably quite a historical event so I would probably fish it out of the river, leave the graffiti on it and stick it in a museum.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2020 16:51]
Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 17:09 - Jun 8 with 2976 viewsSwansea_Blue

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 14:00 - Jun 8 by Pinewoodblue

I thought that may be an option initially, but I've come around to the view that the best place for it is in a museum (as is now going to happen by the looks of it). As others have pointed it was erected well after the life of Colston in the first place, so it was recording him through the eyes of Victorians. He's now being viewed through our eyes and experiences. Stick it in the museum with the graffiti on and you've got a timeline of history from his life through to the present day. A much more powerful educational story. It's building history, not eradicating it.

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 18:35 - Jun 8 with 2915 viewsPinewoodblue

Colston statue pulled down by protestors in Bristol on 17:09 - Jun 8 by Swansea_Blue

I thought that may be an option initially, but I've come around to the view that the best place for it is in a museum (as is now going to happen by the looks of it). As others have pointed it was erected well after the life of Colston in the first place, so it was recording him through the eyes of Victorians. He's now being viewed through our eyes and experiences. Stick it in the museum with the graffiti on and you've got a timeline of history from his life through to the present day. A much more powerful educational story. It's building history, not eradicating it.

Leave the plinth in place and add something explaining why there is no statue.

One of the problems is that views of what is right, or wrong, change over time. Back in the 50’s we had a black Labrador whose name would be unacceptable for probably the last thirty years.

Agatha Christie Would never have written ten little ******* in 21st Century.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024