Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
US election megathread 03:24 - Sep 23 with 139220 viewsSpruceMoose

Seeing as we are approaching the presidential debates, and with the actual election being only 42 days away, maybe we could keep this as a US election megathread for those on here who are interested? One location for all the discussion would prevent multiple threads clogging up the board for those who don't care to get involved?

Personally, the reality of having to experience this election in the near future is stressful AF so if anyone else wants to get stressed together... Jump on board.

Now, insert all the usual caveats about polling here but...it's looking positive that we will be rid of Trump come 2021, much to the disappointment of a couple of posters on here. 538 are well respected in the field of poll analysis so what they announce should be taken seriously.

Of course their analysis doesn't take account of any election fraud, Russian interference, voter suppression etc. But it's positive news none the less. Once Trump is gone, we can work on Johnson. Decent people of the world... Unite!

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-election-forecast/
[Post edited 23 Sep 2020 3:32]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

US election megathread on 04:12 - Sep 30 with 2590 viewsSpruceMoose

US election megathread on 04:11 - Sep 30 by HARRY10

Nailed it,

Trump 'played to the gallery' to his supporters, who have at last found someone who echoes their 'thought's. They will convince themselves that whatever evidence or facts that are put out refuting Trumps claims they have their 'Trump' card - "fake new baa baa"

That's really all they have, and have had. Not much of a hand to play.

And unless something dramatic happens, then next week Trump will still be behind in the polls by around 8%..... pointing to a heavy defeat for Trump.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2020 4:14]

I've already asked Romford but I'll ask you too.

What do you think were the negatives for Biden?

Biden's job of debating Trump was like this forum's impossible task of debating Hamstead. With that in mind I think he presented as a sane competent alternative. He certainly left the Biden has dementia attack dead and buried.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2020 4:17]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

US election megathread on 04:22 - Sep 30 with 2567 viewsHARRY10

US election megathread on 04:12 - Sep 30 by SpruceMoose

Biden's job of debating Trump was like this forum's impossible task of debating Hamstead. With that in mind I think he presented as a sane competent alternative. He certainly left the Biden has dementia attack dead and buried.

Quite a few if I had to name them. But that is not the real point here.

Trump is and has been around 8 points behind Biden for months.

I suspect that most will dismiss this as a 'plague on both house' and will ignore the 'he said this and I said that' intricacies. Which suggest that for all his huff and puff Trump doesn't have it in him to turn things around - and with more revelations to follow about his tax affairs he is running up the down escalator just to stand still.

And the major difference will be that Biden's lot will learn from tonight and adapt. Trump won't.

Pretty much ..... a dead man talking (too much)
US election megathread on 04:26 - Sep 30 with 2567 viewsSpruceMoose

US election megathread on 04:22 - Sep 30 by HARRY10

I suspect that most will dismiss this as a 'plague on both house' and will ignore the 'he said this and I said that' intricacies. Which suggest that for all his huff and puff Trump doesn't have it in him to turn things around - and with more revelations to follow about his tax affairs he is running up the down escalator just to stand still.

And the major difference will be that Biden's lot will learn from tonight and adapt. Trump won't.

Aye. Trump needed to gain ground after tonight. He hasn't. He's dead and buried and isn't even hiding that he's going to try and steal the election.

Anyway, bedtime. In summary - An adequate night for Biden. A bad night for Trump. A tragic night for American democracy.

[Post edited 30 Sep 2020 4:28]

US election megathread on 07:46 - Sep 30 with 2454 viewsOldsmoker

US election megathread on 03:46 - Sep 30 by HARRY10

It sounded like Homer Simpsons father shouting in an echo chamber.

Trump just 'made it up as he goes' - not unexpected

Biden is not best suited to this format - and should have kept it simply

a wasted 90 mins, if you were looking for any insight

A wasted 90 mins.
That about nails it.
I've been reviewing the Youtube clips from the talking heads on Fox, CNN, MSNBC and one of them said "that was a sh*tshow."
Jack Tapper (CNN) said "That was a hot mess, inside a dumpster fire, inside a train wreck."
No surprise that Fox News saw a completely different debate to what CNN and MSNBC saw. Fox hardly criticised Trump but laid into Biden and the moderator Chris Wallace who is their colleague.
An event for undecided voters resulted in most of the audience saying they probaly wouldn't vote at all now.
Apart from Fox, most comments seem to be that the world would be left with the sense that America has changed and is poorer for it.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

US election megathread on 07:54 - Sep 30 with 2436 viewsElderGrizzly

US election megathread on 04:26 - Sep 30 by SpruceMoose

Aye. Trump needed to gain ground after tonight. He hasn't. He's dead and buried and isn't even hiding that he's going to try and steal the election.

Anyway, bedtime. In summary - An adequate night for Biden. A bad night for Trump. A tragic night for American democracy.

[Post edited 30 Sep 2020 4:28]

But simply neither base will care and more importantly nothing there is going to convince someone to vote for Trump if they were undecided.

Unless you were a member of the Proud Boys of course
US election megathread on 08:40 - Sep 30 with 2409 viewsSwansea_Blue

US election megathread on 02:08 - Sep 30 by jeera

No, they're actually somehow worse aren't they.

Some sort of spongy type effort that look a bit scone like?*

Which then someone throws up over. It's not even proper gravy.

Something like that.

*Scone, and definitely not scone.

Grey gravy with lumps in. It's pretty vile stuff.

I know the bigger news is that Trump is increasingly outing his white supremacist credentials, but I can't deal with that. Gravy-gate needs more attention.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2020 8:41]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

US election megathread on 10:11 - Sep 30 with 2347 viewsAce_High1

Watched it this morning, just seemed a shouting match with not much achieved!
US election megathread on 10:13 - Sep 30 with 2336 viewsRyorry

US election megathread on 04:22 - Sep 30 by HARRY10

I didn't hear all of it, but from the bits I did hear, Biden really missed a trick there. Why on earth didn't he just say, when he could actually get a word in edgeways amidst all the interruptions, and after the moderator had intervened -

"President Trump, you're constantly breaking the rules of this debate just like you've broken so many other rules. You obviously have problems when it comes to staying within the law"

then keep hammering that point every time he was interrupted? Nice and simple to drive it home to the electorate. Would have been my instinctive reaction. You can't play someone like Trump at their own game - it's the old internet thing of "never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and then beat you on experience".

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

US election megathread on 10:15 - Sep 30 with 2328 viewsStokieBlue

US election megathread on 04:12 - Sep 30 by SpruceMoose

I've only read a few bits and pieces but surely Trump did exactly what he wanted which was prevent the discussion of policy by not allowing any thoughts to be finished without interruption?

Chaos is his friend in both the debates and the political climate.

Interestingly though it might have backfired. I saw a Tweet that one member of a focus group was undecided by after watching the debate she had decided that Trump was acting like a "crackhead" and thus she would be voting for Biden.

I'm not really sure the debates will change anything, the election will come down to the hidden and possibly ashamed Trump votes who won't admit it in public but are likely to still vote for him. Luckily it still shouldn't be enough to beat Biden.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

US election megathread on 16:19 - Sep 30 with 2215 viewsJ2BLUE

I thought Biden nailed it. Calm, assured, intelligent, measured and fair. Take away Trump's interruptions, exaggerations insults and lies and you're not left with too much.

I found the bit where Trump was mentioned in the same sentence as Lincoln utterly surreal. It was a real 'holy sh1t, he really is the president, something's gone badly wrong' moment.

My one criticism of Biden is the laughing when Trump attacked him. To me it came across forced and rehearsed but if that's the biggest criticism you can find then you have to say Biden did well. No knockout but Biden the clear winner on points.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

US election megathread on 16:38 - Sep 30 with 2200 viewsSpruceMoose

US election megathread on 10:15 - Sep 30 by StokieBlue

I've only read a few bits and pieces but surely Trump did exactly what he wanted which was prevent the discussion of policy by not allowing any thoughts to be finished without interruption?

Chaos is his friend in both the debates and the political climate.

Interestingly though it might have backfired. I saw a Tweet that one member of a focus group was undecided by after watching the debate she had decided that Trump was acting like a "crackhead" and thus she would be voting for Biden.

I'm not really sure the debates will change anything, the election will come down to the hidden and possibly ashamed Trump votes who won't admit it in public but are likely to still vote for him. Luckily it still shouldn't be enough to beat Biden.

SB

He carried out his plan perfectly. Except it was a plan to get him through the night without having his pants pulled all the way down. It wasn't a plan formulated to help him win the election.

All these debates are Stokie is yet another horror show and yet another example of accepted norms being trashed, in this case the norm being that presidential candidates at a debate will actually debate with a level of respect and integrity.

So many things have been taken for granted and left unsafeguarded because 'oh someone would NEVER do that!'.

Well, now they are.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2020 16:49]

US election megathread on 16:39 - Sep 30 with 2196 viewsSpruceMoose

US election megathread on 16:19 - Sep 30 by J2BLUE

I thought Biden nailed it. Calm, assured, intelligent, measured and fair. Take away Trump's interruptions, exaggerations insults and lies and you're not left with too much.

I found the bit where Trump was mentioned in the same sentence as Lincoln utterly surreal. It was a real 'holy sh1t, he really is the president, something's gone badly wrong' moment.

My one criticism of Biden is the laughing when Trump attacked him. To me it came across forced and rehearsed but if that's the biggest criticism you can find then you have to say Biden did well. No knockout but Biden the clear winner on points.

Agreed. I don't know what more people expected Biden to do in the face of what Trump did last night, other than walk over and punch him in the throat when he mocked his dead son.

US election megathread on 18:53 - Sep 30 with 2131 viewsKropotkin123

With all the things that Trump said, I was surprised that the thing that really annoyed me was his consistent interruptions. It was like watching a teenager argue with their parents.

Irrational, I know, but he is just so pathetic. It amazes me that people are so selfish or stupid that they could consider voting for him.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

US election megathread on 12:49 - Oct 1 with 2005 viewsSpruceMoose

Sometimes they really do say the quiet part that they're supposed to keep to themselves out loud.

Apparently it was unfair to ask Trump to condemn the far right because...well... They're the people who vote for him.

https://www.businessinsider.com/rick-santorum-trump-right-wing-extremists-voting

US election megathread on 12:50 - Oct 1 with 2005 viewsSpruceMoose

A rather strange downvote from our 'new' poster MonkeyAlan...

US election megathread on 13:07 - Oct 1 with 1993 viewsgiant_stow

US election megathread on 12:50 - Oct 1 by SpruceMoose

A rather strange downvote from our 'new' poster MonkeyAlan...

I watched it last night on catch up. Thought Biden did well when he was allowed to speak, bar the odd fumble which might stike some as a little aged? Basically though, when he looked at the camera, I think he connected and made sense.

Re J2's point about Biden laughing at times, I thought that was actually the best thing he could have done - how else to react to some the farcical sh1t that came out of Trump's mouth?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

US election megathread on 13:10 - Oct 1 with 1988 viewsSpruceMoose

US election megathread on 13:07 - Oct 1 by giant_stow

I watched it last night on catch up. Thought Biden did well when he was allowed to speak, bar the odd fumble which might stike some as a little aged? Basically though, when he looked at the camera, I think he connected and made sense.

Re J2's point about Biden laughing at times, I thought that was actually the best thing he could have done - how else to react to some the farcical sh1t that came out of Trump's mouth?

I just put his occasional stumble down to his stutter. Agree with you about the laughing. He's absurd. What else can you do?

US election megathread on 13:12 - Oct 1 with 1976 viewsgiant_stow

US election megathread on 13:10 - Oct 1 by SpruceMoose

I just put his occasional stumble down to his stutter. Agree with you about the laughing. He's absurd. What else can you do?

innit. Sometimes laughing is the only response that makes sense (bar rage).

Didn't know about his stutter - that adds up.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

US election megathread on 13:16 - Oct 1 with 1971 viewsJ2BLUE

US election megathread on 13:07 - Oct 1 by giant_stow

I'm not saying he was wrong to laugh, but that it looks rehearsed and a bit fake. Again, if that's the biggest criticism of him I can come up with, then it's good. He did well.

As for the fumbling, i'd rather see that Trump's mad ramblings with no filter. At least he comes across as real and shows he's putting some thought into his answers. Obviously Trump's base are going to support him regardless but I don't see how any moderate can.

That documentary I mentioned earlier was an eye opener. They were talking about masks helping people feel safe and the Trump supporter said "where in the constitution does it say you have the right to feel safe?".

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

US election megathread on 13:21 - Oct 1 with 1965 viewsHARRY10

US election megathread on 13:12 - Oct 1 by giant_stow

innit. Sometimes laughing is the only response that makes sense (bar rage).

Didn't know about his stutter - that adds up.

US election megathread on 13:25 - Oct 1 with 1955 viewsgiant_stow

US election megathread on 13:21 - Oct 1 by HARRY10

wow, that must have been very tough for the lad. played.

US election megathread on 13:35 - Oct 1 with 1942 viewsHARRY10

US election megathread on 13:25 - Oct 1 by giant_stow

wow, that must have been very tough for the lad. played.

Whereas Trumps behaviour towards someone with a disability

says much about both politicians as people

US election megathread on 13:44 - Oct 1 with 1934 viewsOldsmoker

Many years ago, a BBC show called The Weakest Link was shown in the US.
The americans had never seen a show where contestants were ridiculed by the host and they were a bit shocked.
Another moment was when Simon Cowell was a panelist on Americas Got Talent where he told a contestant they weren't very good.
I wonder if the open criticism and nastiness was started by us brits.

US election megathread on 15:50 - Oct 1 with 1903 viewsOldsmoker

A thought for the person who sat through that debate and counted the number of times Trump interrupted.

US election megathread on 17:19 - Oct 1 with 1878 viewsElderGrizzly

Ah, a River of Lies...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024