Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then 16:54 - Oct 20 with 5355 viewsMullet

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-54611402

I think Starmer is right here, it is a government failure. The fact we are now going to be forced into tier 3 and made to do it without help is going to further drive a wedge between the North and South isn't it?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then on 17:02 - Oct 20 with 2354 viewsStokieBlue

Wasn't 100m on the table 2 days ago and Burnham turned it down?

I've not been following that closely (certainly not as closely as people who live there such as yourself) so that might not be right - that was certainly the talk 2 days ago though.

It's a total mess as you say.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then on 17:09 - Oct 20 with 2317 viewsMullet

Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then on 17:02 - Oct 20 by StokieBlue

I've not been following that closely (certainly not as closely as people who live there such as yourself) so that might not be right - that was certainly the talk 2 days ago though.

SB

The fact it's about to be slashed to a fifth of that is criminal. In a part of the country with high indicies of social deprivation already too.

This is essentially an assault on a part of the country most likely to oppose them anyway (as per Liverpool) so will be seen a managable loss to the majority if needs be, all to set an example.

I wouldn't be as crass as to compare it to the harrying of the North, but it's straigt out of the Thatcher playbook and will lead to more deaths. COVID will kill plenty, suicide and other secondary factors too are likely to rise.

Any attempt or pleas to control the virus will go unheeded as the mood up here is turning angry or dispondent for too many people. How can a government moralise and lecture when they can't follow their own rules and will pull out the funding as soon as their assets are not directly under threat?

Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then on 17:10 - Oct 20 with 2311 viewsDanTheMan

SB

Found this, but it says Boris was going to offer it but can't find anything to say they did:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/10/18/pm-call-andy-burnhams-bluff-offer-10

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

I'm struggling with this one to be honest..... on 17:10 - Oct 20 with 2324 viewsBloots

.....from an entirely non political point of view, which I know is difficult for many.

Is it simply a choice between lives and money?

Down here in glorious Essex our county council asked to be put in tier 2 despite having some of the lowest infection rates in the country (where I am it's barely above 40).......the council are getting a grant of £3m as a result, which they seem delighted with.

Should GM remain open with the infection rates it has?

Will people die if they do?

What's more important people dying or a shop closing?

There isn't a silver bullet to solve this issue and there isn't an endless pot of money.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then on 17:11 - Oct 20 with 2299 viewsMullet

SB

Worth a watch.

I'm struggling with this one to be honest..... on 17:18 - Oct 20 with 2269 viewsMullet

I'm struggling with this one to be honest..... on 17:10 - Oct 20 by Bloots

.....from an entirely non political point of view, which I know is difficult for many.

Is it simply a choice between lives and money?

Down here in glorious Essex our county council asked to be put in tier 2 despite having some of the lowest infection rates in the country (where I am it's barely above 40).......the council are getting a grant of £3m as a result, which they seem delighted with.

Should GM remain open with the infection rates it has?

Will people die if they do?

What's more important people dying or a shop closing?

There isn't a silver bullet to solve this issue and there isn't an endless pot of money.

If it closes and there is no money to support that then people die of something else - hunger, homelessness, you name it. Councils have already been stripped to the bone up here (and I assume elsewhere) by over a decade of austerity and that has come home to roost it seems.

The issue is, if it is the North West bearing the brunt of infections, it benefits the whole country to lock us down and support us. If they force people to move or ignore the restrictions eventually it moves outwards and does more damage.

It the vast amount of people on minimum wage that is the issue - it's much like the Sweden lobby and perhaps worth asking whether GM compares like for like with Essex or wherever else I guess?

Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then on 17:24 - Oct 20 with 2204 viewsStokieBlue

Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then on 17:11 - Oct 20 by Mullet

Worth a watch.

All very true.

However it could also be questioned how wise his strategy was. He seemed to think he had a powerful hand and failed to take into account how petty this government is. He could have took the 60m and then gone back in a month citing how well Manchester had locked down and how because of how well they were doing they now needed more funds.

I am sure this isn't the end of it though - the 60m needs to be reinstated and I am sure it will be as the people of Manchester clearly need that financial support.

SB

Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then on 17:29 - Oct 20 with 2197 viewsN2_Blue

I wonder when those parts of the north that voted Tory last election because they truly believed they best represented them are having regrets.

Many may have not liked Corbyn, understandable I was no Corbyn fan, but to vote for a party that doesn’t give a sh it about working class people is just foolish. I really really hope they remember this in 4 years time.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Login to get fewer ads

Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then on 17:42 - Oct 20 with 2157 viewstractordownsouth

To give £22m is disgraceful. To paraphrase Ian Dunt on twitter, this is probably the worst thing the government has done, and there's a lot of contenders in that category

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then on 17:44 - Oct 20 with 2139 viewsBlueBadger

To be honest, no-one is coming out of this very well.

It's long established that we have a bunch of incompetent, corrupt sociopaths in charge but the Bloke Who Sold Hinchingbrooke has presented them with an open goal here to pass the blame, but I can blame him for wanting to try and look after the interests of his residents.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then on 17:55 - Oct 20 with 2095 viewsBlueBadger

Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then on 17:29 - Oct 20 by N2_Blue

I wonder when those parts of the north that voted Tory last election because they truly believed they best represented them are having regrets.

Many may have not liked Corbyn, understandable I was no Corbyn fan, but to vote for a party that doesn’t give a sh it about working class people is just foolish. I really really hope they remember this in 4 years time.

I hope it's remembered a lot longer than this.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then on 17:57 - Oct 20 with 2079 viewspointofblue

Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then on 17:24 - Oct 20 by StokieBlue

All very true.

However it could also be questioned how wise his strategy was. He seemed to think he had a powerful hand and failed to take into account how petty this government is. He could have took the 60m and then gone back in a month citing how well Manchester had locked down and how because of how well they were doing they now needed more funds.

I am sure this isn't the end of it though - the 60m needs to be reinstated and I am sure it will be as the people of Manchester clearly need that financial support.

SB

The BBC is reporting talks are still ongoing between the government and Greater Manchester councils despite tier three being imposed. The government’s argument seems to be the £60m is on line with and accepted by Liverpool, and they can’t give one area more than another.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then on 18:54 - Oct 20 with 1965 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

241 deaths in the last 24 hours.
Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then on 10:18 - Oct 21 with 1798 viewsStokieBlue

Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then on 17:24 - Oct 20 by StokieBlue

All very true.

SB

South Yorkshire have agreed a package for Tier 3 with the government.

So what is going on here? Were the leaders in Liverpool and Sheffield failing their populace by accepting the deals or has Burnham failed by pushing for more (although he will still get the same deal as Liverpool and Sheffield).

Furthermore if he got more than Liverpool got would Liverpool then be right to ask for more even though they had an agreement? I think they probably would.

It's a total mess all round.

SB

Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then on 10:27 - Oct 21 with 1779 viewsnoggin

Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then on 17:42 - Oct 20 by tractordownsouth

To give £22m is disgraceful. To paraphrase Ian Dunt on twitter, this is probably the worst thing the government has done, and there's a lot of contenders in that category

I think 22m works out at about a tenner per head of population in GM. I realise that is meaningless to how the money will be used but it does highlight how little money it is.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then on 10:42 - Oct 21 with 1736 viewsDarth_Koont

Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then on 17:11 - Oct 20 by Mullet

Worth a watch.

A narrow interest-serving ideology comes face to face with reality and fails the most vulnerable people and regions.

This is unfortunately a decades-long story in the UK.

Pronouns: He/Him

Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then on 10:43 - Oct 21 with 1719 viewsbournemouthblue

Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then on 10:27 - Oct 21 by noggin

I think 22m works out at about a tenner per head of population in GM. I realise that is meaningless to how the money will be used but it does highlight how little money it is.

It's not even half what Boris spaffed up the wall for his Garden Bridge

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then on 10:47 - Oct 21 with 1694 viewsDarth_Koont

Problem is that if you look back to the Labour government (although better overall) they were similarly uninterested in tackling structural and regional inequality.

It’s a lesson that Scotland learnt 10 years ago. That’s why, in the North, there’s little genuine belief in Labour and why a populist non-solution like Brexit can flourish in its stead.

Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then on 10:58 - Oct 21 with 1670 viewsNewcyBlue

£8 per head here.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then on 11:06 - Oct 21 with 1647 viewsnoggin

Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then on 10:58 - Oct 21 by NewcyBlue

£8 per head here.

I haven't done the maths, just a rough estimate. GM is probably closer to 8 quid also.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then on 11:09 - Oct 21 with 1636 viewsTractorWood

Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then on 10:42 - Oct 21 by Darth_Koont

A narrow interest-serving ideology comes face to face with reality and fails the most vulnerable people and regions.

This is unfortunately a decades-long story in the UK.

The Tory playbook that literally hasn't changed in 40 years, that people continue to blindly vote for as long as the rich, the established wealth, the home counties and London get looked after.

The UK masquerades as sensitive and caring but at the ballot box, the reality is unveiled as pretty grim.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then on 11:11 - Oct 21 with 1629 viewsStokieBlue

Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then on 10:58 - Oct 21 by NewcyBlue

£8 per head here.

That's just for track and trace and enforcement costs isn't it?

There will be a package to aid business on top of that?

SB

Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then on 11:21 - Oct 21 with 1602 viewsitfc48

Yep all these comparisons with Liverpool et al. are meaningless as all these places have different sized populations. It's this per head value that should be looked at.
Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then on 11:26 - Oct 21 with 1586 viewsPinewoodblue

Ironic isn't it the Andy Burnham started as favourite to be elected Labour leader, not Corbyn.

Won't be long before PMQ's

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then on 11:41 - Oct 21 with 1545 viewsDarth_Koont

Andy Burnham sticking to his principles then on 11:09 - Oct 21 by TractorWood

The Tory playbook that literally hasn't changed in 40 years, that people continue to blindly vote for as long as the rich, the established wealth, the home counties and London get looked after.

The UK masquerades as sensitive and caring but at the ballot box, the reality is unveiled as pretty grim.

Yep. But it’s also why I’m so critical of the Labour government.

They had the chance to reverse much of the damage and the direction of travel but they leant into it instead. And rather cemented it as the status quo.

When problems are systemic and structural the solutions are systemic and structural too. Tweaking stuff round the edges is purely performative and self-serving if see that you are really part of the status quo rather than trying to change it for the better.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024