Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This Free School Meals debate 18:53 - Oct 21 with 20347 viewstractordownsouth

I've just seen the clips from Twitter as I don't have a licence to watch on Iplayer but bloody hell, these heartless individuals... They're all preaching personal responsibility, while voting for a policy that will ensure whether or not kids eat is determined by their parents income, which they have no control over.

First we have Brendan Clarke Smith accusing those wanting to feed kids of "virtue signalling." He's the same bloke who was caught denying the scale of food banks during his election hustings.

And Kieran Mullen, claiming that it's not the state's job to feed kids.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

This Free School Meals debate on 11:46 - Oct 22 with 2058 viewsitfcjoe

This Free School Meals debate on 09:36 - Oct 22 by textbackup

completely off topic, but has anyone else personally found themselves better off after having kids?

the amount I would spunk on beer over a weekend session, weekly/monthly was obscene..... since having kids im honestly better off!

Once we have paid up there nursery bills we may be - but with wife part time and having to pay out effectively £110 a week for childcare vouchers on top of that between us isn't ideal.

Within a year we will have enough in the bank for youngest and eldest at school so that will be an extra £400 a month, plus a couple of years later wife can go back full time and we'll have a fair bit more from that!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

This Free School Meals debate on 11:48 - Oct 22 with 2046 views26_Paz

This Free School Meals debate on 11:16 - Oct 22 by NewcyBlue

I’ve got stuff to do whilst MrsN and the twins sleep.

Answer some questions for me though please..

Why should children be punished for their parents decisions?
The extra £20 a week, after the additional food, drink, water, electricity, gas, etc costs how far do you expect them get with that?
Feeding a child lunches for £20 a week, can you provide a menu comparable to school dinners please? With a cost breakdown. Seb gets school dinners (because he’s of the age where they all do up here). His school dinners sound fantastic. Healthy and nutritious, with options every single day.

For some kids, this is the only hot meal they get.

Anyway. I look forward to your menu and cost breakdown.

1. It’s not just the £20. Housing benefit has also been adjusted and a hardship fund has been set up with councils.
2. I’ve not got time to work out a full menu but shopping can be done surprisingly cheaply, if one puts one’s mind to it

The Paz Man

This Free School Meals debate on 11:52 - Oct 22 with 2036 views26_Paz

This Free School Meals debate on 11:27 - Oct 22 by tractordownsouth

The beneficiaries of Eat Out To Help Out were largely middle class people who can afford to eat out - it cost the treasury millions more than this. Similarly, the amount that the Tories reduced from Richard Desmond's tax bill for donating to the Tory Party could have paid for the free meals twice over.

And as for the economy argument, you can't claim to be in favour of sound economic management whilst simultaneously cheerleading a no deal Brexit. Those two positions are incompatible.

Eat out to help out was not just for middle class people. I know it’s not nutritious so not a great example but you obviously never went into a McDonald’s during a Monday - Wednesday in August ...

The Paz Man

This Free School Meals debate on 12:09 - Oct 22 with 2018 viewstractordownsouth

This Free School Meals debate on 11:52 - Oct 22 by 26_Paz

Eat out to help out was not just for middle class people. I know it’s not nutritious so not a great example but you obviously never went into a McDonald’s during a Monday - Wednesday in August ...

I didn't say it was solely for middle class people. Now what about the other points? Were you angry at the government for giving the £45m for Richard Desmond, the £50m ferry contract to a company with no ferries, or the £100m no deal propaganda campaign, or is it just this that we can't afford?

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

This Free School Meals debate on 12:23 - Oct 22 with 1983 views26_Paz

This Free School Meals debate on 12:09 - Oct 22 by tractordownsouth

I didn't say it was solely for middle class people. Now what about the other points? Were you angry at the government for giving the £45m for Richard Desmond, the £50m ferry contract to a company with no ferries, or the £100m no deal propaganda campaign, or is it just this that we can't afford?

I’m very happy to be spending money preparing for a no deal brexit

The Paz Man

This Free School Meals debate on 12:25 - Oct 22 with 1977 viewsSpruceMoose

This Free School Meals debate on 12:23 - Oct 22 by 26_Paz

Horrible, selfish stuff.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

This Free School Meals debate on 12:25 - Oct 22 with 1976 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

This Free School Meals debate on 11:27 - Oct 22 by tractordownsouth

The beneficiaries of Eat Out To Help Out were largely middle class people who can afford to eat out - it cost the treasury millions more than this. Similarly, the amount that the Tories reduced from Richard Desmond's tax bill for donating to the Tory Party could have paid for the free meals twice over.

And as for the economy argument, you can't claim to be in favour of sound economic management whilst simultaneously cheerleading a no deal Brexit. Those two positions are incompatible.

I think your first sentence completely misses the point - it may have been largely middle class people making use of the offer however the beneficiaries were surely the businesses themselves, and by proxy their staff etc who largely will not fall into that bracket. It’s also not quite as simple as saying the scheme cost x when there will be savings elsewhere and income generated from the boost to the economy - whether that actually proves worthwhile of course remains to be seen

There is of course also an entirely separate argument about whether encouraging people to go out in the middle of a pandemic was a good idea too!

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

This Free School Meals debate on 12:28 - Oct 22 with 1969 viewstextbackup

This Free School Meals debate on 10:51 - Oct 22 by StokieBlue

Surely you just reallocate the weekend session budget to the delivery of fine wine, craft beer and fine foods and enjoy it once they are in bed and thus it's no different?

Got to treat yourself once the days hard work is done.

SB

treated myself to an angle grinder, and some floor screed this week..... does that count?!

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Login to get fewer ads

This Free School Meals debate on 12:29 - Oct 22 with 1969 viewsEwan_Oozami

And the payback is going to be...?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

This Free School Meals debate on 12:30 - Oct 22 with 1965 viewstextbackup

This Free School Meals debate on 10:15 - Oct 22 by NewcyBlue

Sorry. I know what you meant. I’m just utterly tired right now.

We’ve spent a lot less money on dining out. I dare say coming down to Ipswich with the twins for the foreseeable future will be difficult, not just because of the pandemic, so that’s a saving.

How good would a football afternoon on the beers be right now though?!

an 1130 start, home at 0400..... that's the dream!

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

This Free School Meals debate on 12:31 - Oct 22 with 1963 viewsSpruceMoose

This Free School Meals debate on 12:29 - Oct 22 by Ewan_Oozami

It'll give certain people the brief sensation of 'winning', mainly by overturning the gains made by minorities and liberals. What they don't want to acknowledge however is that everyone is going to get caught in the crossfire. There will be no winners other than those at the very top.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

This Free School Meals debate on 12:37 - Oct 22 with 1955 views26_Paz

This Free School Meals debate on 12:25 - Oct 22 by SpruceMoose

Horrible, selfish stuff.

This is why I didn’t want to go into it at the start of the thread. It was a good conversation on here until up pops spruce with some insults

The Paz Man

This Free School Meals debate on 12:42 - Oct 22 with 1953 viewsBlueNomad

This Free School Meals debate on 08:55 - Oct 22 by 26_Paz

Certainly. To briefly summarise. I believe provision is made elsewhere via universal credit, furlough payments and other such benefits. My main point was that the government has put in place measures to deal with financial hardship caused by the pandemic, therefore I don’t see why now is any different to any other school holiday. In ‘normal’ times school meals are not provided during school holidays, given provision is made elsewhere to cushion the financial blow of the pandemic I don’t see why now is any different.

The first responsibility of government is to care for it's citizens.

The first responsibility of this miserable crew is to look after it's friends and donors.

Paz please don't try to defend them. There are some things that are indefensible and this issue is a big one amongst many others. I hope that you never need state help. I don't but certainly don't begrudge those who do and don't even see it as a political issue, it is a matter of basic humanity. Everything you are trying to argue flies in the face of that.
This Free School Meals debate on 12:46 - Oct 22 with 1937 viewsNewcyBlue

This Free School Meals debate on 11:48 - Oct 22 by 26_Paz

1. It’s not just the £20. Housing benefit has also been adjusted and a hardship fund has been set up with councils.
2. I’ve not got time to work out a full menu but shopping can be done surprisingly cheaply, if one puts one’s mind to it

The furlough scheme was 2/3rds of people’s wages.

So do you think that when furloughed, with the £20 a week plus the other concessions, that people were

A. Better off and able to feed their kids better than at school
B. Worse off?

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

This Free School Meals debate on 12:50 - Oct 22 with 1930 viewseastangliaisblue

In past posts I've thought to myself, yeah maybe he is being ganged up on a bit. This reply though shows you got everything you deserved.

This post has been edited by an administrator
This Free School Meals debate on 12:51 - Oct 22 with 1924 viewsNewcyBlue

None of that prepared for Brexit. It greased the palms of Tory donors and friends.

None of it helped the Brexit cause.

This Free School Meals debate on 12:53 - Oct 22 with 1917 viewsNewcyBlue

This Free School Meals debate on 12:30 - Oct 22 by textbackup

an 1130 start, home at 0400..... that's the dream!

Meet in Lord Nelson at 1130 for the first home game it is then!

This Free School Meals debate on 12:53 - Oct 22 with 1917 viewsSpruceMoose

This Free School Meals debate on 12:37 - Oct 22 by 26_Paz

This is why I didn’t want to go into it at the start of the thread. It was a good conversation on here until up pops spruce with some insults

There was nothing insulting in my post.

This Free School Meals debate on 12:54 - Oct 22 with 1910 viewseastangliaisblue

This Free School Meals debate on 12:53 - Oct 22 by SpruceMoose

There was nothing insulting in my post.

There was in mine though and I stick by it.
This Free School Meals debate on 13:02 - Oct 22 with 1890 viewseireblue

This Free School Meals debate on 11:48 - Oct 22 by 26_Paz

If you were un-employed before corona virus hit, you get a 20 pound monthly increase.

So, no change in circumstance, but additional money.

What is your justification for supporting that, but not supporting the direct support for children?
[Post edited 22 Oct 2020 13:06]
This Free School Meals debate on 13:19 - Oct 22 with 1871 viewsSpruceMoose

This Free School Meals debate on 12:54 - Oct 22 by eastangliaisblue

There was in mine though and I stick by it.

As you should, I just didn't want to give Paz the opportunity to deflect by crying about politeness again.

The Conservatives who voted against this got dogs abuse earlier in the thread. I don't know why upon reading that anyone supporting the Conservatives on this wouldn't expect similar treatment.

This Free School Meals debate on 13:21 - Oct 22 with 1858 viewsBlueNomad

This Free School Meals debate on 13:19 - Oct 22 by SpruceMoose

As you should, I just didn't want to give Paz the opportunity to deflect by crying about politeness again.

The Conservatives who voted against this got dogs abuse earlier in the thread. I don't know why upon reading that anyone supporting the Conservatives on this wouldn't expect similar treatment.

You can be both polite and heartless. The former doesn't make up for the latter.
This Free School Meals debate on 13:22 - Oct 22 with 1853 viewsleitrimblue

This Free School Meals debate on 12:50 - Oct 22 by eastangliaisblue

In past posts I've thought to myself, yeah maybe he is being ganged up on a bit. This reply though shows you got everything you deserved.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Great post. Exactly what I was thinking
This Free School Meals debate on 13:23 - Oct 22 with 1848 viewsSwansea_Blue

This Free School Meals debate on 12:29 - Oct 22 by Ewan_Oozami

A scruffy tramp holding a different coloured passport (and a colour we could have chosen all along)

These are the days
[Post edited 22 Oct 2020 13:23]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This Free School Meals debate on 13:27 - Oct 22 with 1829 viewsSwansea_Blue

This Free School Meals debate on 19:10 - Oct 21 by HARRY10

So child poverty is down to feckless parents and/or absent fathers - not caring parents who may have lost their jobs, or been put on furlough.

Perhaps this MP and others of his ilk should have a word with a notable feckless father of numerous kids by various women, who is currently shacked up with some single mum in London, with another illegitimate kid - who complains how a measly £150,000 annual income makes it hard to get by.

And for those complaining who voted Tory, what the fck did they think they were voting for ?

I suspect there are many contributing factors and much more is needed above and beyond handouts to tackle the problem sustainably. The kids shouldn't suffer for either the sins or the misfortune of the parents though. Even if the parents are feckless. We're social animals that are supposed to look after our young ffs. Anyone saying differently lacks humanity.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024