Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This Free School Meals debate 18:53 - Oct 21 with 20576 viewstractordownsouth

I've just seen the clips from Twitter as I don't have a licence to watch on Iplayer but bloody hell, these heartless individuals... They're all preaching personal responsibility, while voting for a policy that will ensure whether or not kids eat is determined by their parents income, which they have no control over.

First we have Brendan Clarke Smith accusing those wanting to feed kids of "virtue signalling." He's the same bloke who was caught denying the scale of food banks during his election hustings.

And Kieran Mullen, claiming that it's not the state's job to feed kids.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

This Free School Meals debate on 14:24 - Oct 24 with 751 viewsMullet

This Free School Meals debate on 14:18 - Oct 24 by SidVicious

The reality of this debate is that one side is never going to convince the other side of their point of view

For me it’s always the responsibility of the parents to look after their children others (many have expressed this view on here ) that it is the governments responsibility to look after our children

As a responsible parent you will never convince me of your view point that you can simply wash your hands of your responsibilities but for many they don’t see the issue with it

At the end of the day it’s about your own morale compass and I am very comfortable with mine

That doesn't mean both sides are equal.

By all means blame the parents. But to make children suffer to indulge your own sense of self-worth and keep the needle sharp on your moral compass makes you a scumbag.

You also assume that all parents choose this, rather than it being a consequence of their choices, or more usually circumstances.

Do you think it is acceptable that 136 children die of malnutrition in any given year in a country where we allow the government to fritter away billions in failed schemes and non-existant companies owned by their mates?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

This Free School Meals debate on 14:27 - Oct 24 with 743 viewsbrogansnose

This Free School Meals debate on 13:00 - Oct 24 by m14_blue

Yet another one bleating on about being taken out of context without even attempting to explain what the actual context is.

I do like how ' my words have been taken out of context ' is the new ' I was only joking '. Both phrases deployed by dickwads.
This Free School Meals debate on 14:30 - Oct 24 with 731 viewsSwansea_Blue

This Free School Meals debate on 14:18 - Oct 24 by SidVicious

The reality of this debate is that one side is never going to convince the other side of their point of view

For me it’s always the responsibility of the parents to look after their children others (many have expressed this view on here ) that it is the governments responsibility to look after our children

As a responsible parent you will never convince me of your view point that you can simply wash your hands of your responsibilities but for many they don’t see the issue with it

At the end of the day it’s about your own morale compass and I am very comfortable with mine

Of course it's parent responsibility. But what happens when there are no parents, or only one parent, or they lose their job(s) or can't find a job, or are on minimum wage and can't afford somewhere to live, or get sick and can't work...etc., etc? We need safety nets. More to the point, the children need safety nets. Rather than attacking the parents we should be protecting the children.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This Free School Meals debate on 14:36 - Oct 24 with 721 viewsSidVicious

This Free School Meals debate on 14:30 - Oct 24 by Swansea_Blue

Of course it's parent responsibility. But what happens when there are no parents, or only one parent, or they lose their job(s) or can't find a job, or are on minimum wage and can't afford somewhere to live, or get sick and can't work...etc., etc? We need safety nets. More to the point, the children need safety nets. Rather than attacking the parents we should be protecting the children.

I get that as no child in Britain ever dies of starvation then the safety net works without the need for MR campaign
This Free School Meals debate on 14:38 - Oct 24 with 717 viewsSpruceMoose

This Free School Meals debate on 14:36 - Oct 24 by SidVicious

I get that as no child in Britain ever dies of starvation then the safety net works without the need for MR campaign

Seems to me that if anyone's parents failed, it was yours.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

This Free School Meals debate on 14:52 - Oct 24 with 679 viewsJ2BLUE

This Free School Meals debate on 14:38 - Oct 24 by SpruceMoose

Seems to me that if anyone's parents failed, it was yours.

Leave it mate. He's clearly looking for a reaction. Imagine getting your kicks trolling over something like this.

He's not worth your time.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

This Free School Meals debate on 14:53 - Oct 24 with 679 viewseastangliaisblue

I get that as no MP in Britain struggles economically, the salary works without the need for taxpayer funded expenses.
This Free School Meals debate on 14:53 - Oct 24 with 676 viewsNewcyBlue

Mullet provided statistics that prove you’re wrong.

As for your views, you lack compassion.

I hope your children, if you have any, turn out to be better people than you are.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Login to get fewer ads

This Free School Meals debate on 14:54 - Oct 24 with 672 viewsSpruceMoose

Last post to feed the trolls before taking J2's advice.

Can we all stop beating around the bush and just come out and say it The reason so many Tory boys are finding this campaign so triggering is the Sterling effect.

A young, rich Black man is helping other largely Black and Brown poor people and talking back at privileged White people at the same time.

That's just too much uppity-ness for some to handle.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2020 14:55]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

This Free School Meals debate on 15:11 - Oct 24 with 635 viewsCoachRob

This Free School Meals debate on 14:30 - Oct 24 by Swansea_Blue

The horrifying case of Mercy Baguma highlights your excellent point.

The views of Sid can almost always be traced back to some crank in the 'field' of economics. The sooner this rubbish is remove from academia, and our media, the better. Look at the 'achievements' of Sir Charles Trevelyan during the Irish Potato Famine, his views persist today in these bizarre economic think-tanks and organisations like the IFS, Hoover Institute and IEA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Charles_Trevelyan,_1st_Baronet
This Free School Meals debate on 19:08 - Oct 24 with 577 viewsHARRY10

This Free School Meals debate on 15:11 - Oct 24 by CoachRob

The horrifying case of Mercy Baguma highlights your excellent point.

The views of Sid can almost always be traced back to some crank in the 'field' of economics. The sooner this rubbish is remove from academia, and our media, the better. Look at the 'achievements' of Sir Charles Trevelyan during the Irish Potato Famine, his views persist today in these bizarre economic think-tanks and organisations like the IFS, Hoover Institute and IEA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Charles_Trevelyan,_1st_Baronet

A question for the rightwing nutters

If it is not the responsibility of the government, then why are they providing free school meals - in fact why are they claiming they are funding help at all, if it is not their responsibility ?

And odd how many of these small minded bigot will claim to be Christian, but will struggle to show any teachings of Christ that echo their hate,

And were a pregnant woman to turn up at their door on Christmas Eve they would be filling the comments section of the Daily Mail, with spittle ridden bile claiming that she brought it on herself by leaving her accommodation in Nazareth, that the bloke should have booked in advance and taken out insurance....

And, it true righty stupidity, blamed the couple for looking for accommodation, when they should have known everywhere is busy at Christmas.
This Free School Meals debate on 19:08 - Oct 24 with 574 views26_Paz

Huge respect, Sir. You’ll get pelters on here but you speak the truth regardless.

The Paz Man

This Free School Meals debate on 19:10 - Oct 24 with 575 viewsMullet

This Free School Meals debate on 19:08 - Oct 24 by 26_Paz

Huge respect, Sir. You’ll get pelters on here but you speak the truth regardless.

136 kids died of malnutrition in Great Britain last year.

In 2019, in our country. 136 children died from hunger.

This Free School Meals debate on 19:13 - Oct 24 with 567 viewsjeera

This Free School Meals debate on 19:10 - Oct 24 by Mullet

He couldn't give a f*ck.

He's a sad little troll.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

This Free School Meals debate on 19:15 - Oct 24 with 558 views26_Paz

Do you have a link or something?

The Paz Man

This Free School Meals debate on 19:16 - Oct 24 with 555 views26_Paz

This Free School Meals debate on 19:13 - Oct 24 by jeera

He couldn't give a f*ck.

He's a sad little troll.

Keep bleating your group think if it makes you feel good
[Post edited 24 Oct 2020 19:16]

The Paz Man

This Free School Meals debate on 19:20 - Oct 24 with 551 viewsMullet

This Free School Meals debate on 19:15 - Oct 24 by 26_Paz

Do you have a link or something?

Read the thread ffs. You've just applauded someone for speaking the truth and you don't even have the courtesy to look at both sides.

This Free School Meals debate on 19:23 - Oct 24 with 542 views26_Paz

This Free School Meals debate on 19:20 - Oct 24 by Mullet

Read the thread ffs. You've just applauded someone for speaking the truth and you don't even have the courtesy to look at both sides.

I don’t have a subscription to the FT and the other link won’t open without me signing in, which I can’t do as I don’t have an account. FFS.

The Paz Man

This Free School Meals debate on 19:27 - Oct 24 with 533 viewsMullet

This Free School Meals debate on 19:23 - Oct 24 by 26_Paz

I don’t have a subscription to the FT and the other link won’t open without me signing in, which I can’t do as I don’t have an account. FFS.

I don't have an account for either. Yet could read both. How odd and convenient, even when I give you the relevant stat from the ONS.

This Free School Meals debate on 19:28 - Oct 24 with 524 views26_Paz

This Free School Meals debate on 19:27 - Oct 24 by Mullet

I don't have an account for either. Yet could read both. How odd and convenient, even when I give you the relevant stat from the ONS.

Neither link opens. I’ve tried both.

The Paz Man

This Free School Meals debate on 19:30 - Oct 24 with 521 viewsRyorry

I didn't know that.

Sh1t.

Unbelievable.

Thanks for the info.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

This Free School Meals debate on 19:39 - Oct 24 with 503 viewsHARRY10

This Free School Meals debate on 19:23 - Oct 24 by 26_Paz

Firefox has an add on - 'bypass paywalls'

that allows you access t the FT, Times, Telegraph and a host if other paywall sites

so off you go
This Free School Meals debate on 19:41 - Oct 24 with 495 views26_Paz

This Free School Meals debate on 19:39 - Oct 24 by HARRY10

Firefox has an add on - 'bypass paywalls'

that allows you access t the FT, Times, Telegraph and a host if other paywall sites

so off you go

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about

The Paz Man

This Free School Meals debate on 19:45 - Oct 24 with 484 viewsHARRY10

This Free School Meals debate on 13:48 - Oct 24 by Mullet

https://www.ft.com/content/e5061be6-2978-4c0b-aa68-f372a2526826

I used the ONS figures and did some data searching for you. This is for 2019

https://www.nomisweb.co.uk/query/asv2htm.aspx

530, 841 people aged under 19 and under died, 136 of malnutrition in 2019. (Apologies for missign out the bloody important bit!)
[Post edited 24 Oct 2020 13:50]

'' More than 3m people in Britain are going hungry because of the coronavirus crisis, according to new research showing that stark drops in income have pushed many families into poverty during the lockdown.

The Food Foundation, a research organisation, said on Saturday that 6 per cent of surveyed adults, the equivalent of 3m people, told them that a lack of food had forced someone in their household to go without eating during the past three weeks.

In the survey of 4,343 adults, which was carried out by polling organisation YouGov on behalf of the Food Foundation, 16 per cent of respondents, the equivalent of a total of 8.1m people, said they had faced food insecurity of some kind as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic.

The sharp rise in food poverty is being driven by self-isolation and a lack of money as an unprecedented economic shutdown leaves millions of workers newly unemployed, furloughed or dependent on government support.

“There is a food poverty problem that has not been dealt with, and we’re seeing the results of that now,” said Anna Taylor, executive director of the Food Foundation. “On top of that, we have new problems around isolation and shortages – people are telling us they simply can’t get out to get the food they need.”

According to the survey, 3 per cent of respondents, the equivalent of 1.5m people, had gone a whole day without eating since the lockdown came into effect.

Among those who said they were facing food insecurity, 50 per cent said they were struggling because of pandemic-related shortages and 25 per because they could not leave their homes to shop.

Some 21 per cent were hungry because they simply did not have enough money. More than 2 per cent of respondents, the equivalent of 1m people, said they had lost all their income since the lockdown had begun.Some independent food banks have seen demand increase in the past fortnight by as much as 300 per cent compared to the same time last year.

Experts have warned that a response that focuses only on food banks will fail to address the underlying causes of food poverty, and risk “institutionalising” food aid.

“The amount of people needing to go to food banks is not remedied by food banks,” Ms Goodwin said. “The problem is a lack of income and a lack of food. It stems from the fact that there is a level of poverty that is being ignored.” Financial Times
[Post edited 24 Oct 2020 19:50]
This Free School Meals debate on 19:56 - Oct 24 with 703 viewsSidVicious

This Free School Meals debate on 19:45 - Oct 24 by HARRY10

'' More than 3m people in Britain are going hungry because of the coronavirus crisis, according to new research showing that stark drops in income have pushed many families into poverty during the lockdown.

The Food Foundation, a research organisation, said on Saturday that 6 per cent of surveyed adults, the equivalent of 3m people, told them that a lack of food had forced someone in their household to go without eating during the past three weeks.

In the survey of 4,343 adults, which was carried out by polling organisation YouGov on behalf of the Food Foundation, 16 per cent of respondents, the equivalent of a total of 8.1m people, said they had faced food insecurity of some kind as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic.

The sharp rise in food poverty is being driven by self-isolation and a lack of money as an unprecedented economic shutdown leaves millions of workers newly unemployed, furloughed or dependent on government support.

“There is a food poverty problem that has not been dealt with, and we’re seeing the results of that now,” said Anna Taylor, executive director of the Food Foundation. “On top of that, we have new problems around isolation and shortages – people are telling us they simply can’t get out to get the food they need.”

According to the survey, 3 per cent of respondents, the equivalent of 1.5m people, had gone a whole day without eating since the lockdown came into effect.

Among those who said they were facing food insecurity, 50 per cent said they were struggling because of pandemic-related shortages and 25 per because they could not leave their homes to shop.

Some 21 per cent were hungry because they simply did not have enough money. More than 2 per cent of respondents, the equivalent of 1m people, said they had lost all their income since the lockdown had begun.Some independent food banks have seen demand increase in the past fortnight by as much as 300 per cent compared to the same time last year.

Experts have warned that a response that focuses only on food banks will fail to address the underlying causes of food poverty, and risk “institutionalising” food aid.

“The amount of people needing to go to food banks is not remedied by food banks,” Ms Goodwin said. “The problem is a lack of income and a lack of food. It stems from the fact that there is a level of poverty that is being ignored.” Financial Times
[Post edited 24 Oct 2020 19:50]

3 percent of people go a whole day with out eating

It’s called eating disorders and not that common eg on 3 percent of the population
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024