Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... 20:41 - Apr 5 with 10043 viewsitfcjoe

....and we are still just 2 points outside the play offs.

The lack of bounce since Cook came in is hugely disappointing, I don't think it is a stretch to say that 4 of our poorest performances of the season are since he has come in as well.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 22:23 - Apr 5 with 2315 viewsradiogaga

Our post October form this season (and last season) is pretty reflective of what this squad is - a hard working but average mid table L1 team that lacks a goal threat, leaders and a winning mentality. Furthermore, the squad is very deep, but nobody from the fringes has come in and made a strong claim to get in the team. Chambers playing at left back says all we need to know - clearly he has demonstrated more in training/ games than the actual left backs we have at the club.

Our results under Cook have been hugely frustrating nonetheless. We had a chance to gatecrash the top 6 this season, a chance which has all but gone now.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2021 22:26]

Poll: How many points will Town need to make the off-plays?
Blog: Expectations of Paul Lambert's Ipswich

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 22:24 - Apr 5 with 2308 viewstextbackup

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 22:08 - Apr 5 by itfcjoe

I've never seen a team turn an attack into a defensive situation so quickly and so often - there is a clear issue with players just having no confidence going forwards......you look at the worst culprits today and it is the experienced players - Judge and Ward especially.

At some point he is going to make swingeing changes to the team to try and make the play offs this season - play attacking players who don't have fear when they attack, who don't slow it down - Dobra's late run today a clear example. Players like Jackson are happier running into the channel than they are running at goal - guess it is easier there.....but everyone takes that attitude going forwards and we create nothing as no one willing to take a risk

Judge, IMO, has been one of the worse signings this club has made. not that we even come to expect much these days, but even on a day when he does ok I just don't see the point in him being here.
sort of player that sums us up.

Jackson cant even run in the channels, I don't understand his role in this squad. he is only fast, but even sht at that.

only at itfc could we get a manager with a good name in the game, and we let him down by the ponces we have for him to use

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 22:26 - Apr 5 with 2307 viewsitfcjoe

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 22:19 - Apr 5 by textbackup

its just the mentality of this club.

its an utterly awful bunch of players, im ashamed to have them wear our shirt.

A certain coach has said of the first team squad "they need 12 out and a new 12 in" that's not one transfer window is it either, that's a full rebuild that I just don't see our fans having the ability to understand.

what I just cant swallow is "they've been told x for so long that they cant just change"
if im at work and a manager is telling to sign off an email one way, then another comes in and says do it another way, I just do it. how can a professional footballer physically not just grasp what cook is asking of them? are they fcking idiots.... actually don't answer that.

its not all of them, and individually, surround by different players I can see their games would improve, but this lot together are utterly clueless.

I guess things get just ingrained into you - when players get threatened to be sent in from training on a daily basis, and totally cold shouldered for weeks on end if they are to make a mistake then it's no surprise we become so risk averse.

If you spend 18 months walking on eggshells then that becomes your natural state - can't just flick a switch. Standards are set from the top of the club, and what does Evans do?

It does feel as though nearly every attacking player who is coming to the end of their deal will go - some will go on and do well elsewhere, but it isn't going to work here- they need a new environment. I can't imagine the covid situation helps, no real release when work is rubbish, no way of letting go and clearing head.

But if what I hear re Cook and Dyer is true and what they want, and he wants to bring 10 of his own in then we are going to lose best part of 40 players this summer

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 22:29 - Apr 5 with 2289 viewsMrTown

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 22:26 - Apr 5 by itfcjoe

I guess things get just ingrained into you - when players get threatened to be sent in from training on a daily basis, and totally cold shouldered for weeks on end if they are to make a mistake then it's no surprise we become so risk averse.

If you spend 18 months walking on eggshells then that becomes your natural state - can't just flick a switch. Standards are set from the top of the club, and what does Evans do?

It does feel as though nearly every attacking player who is coming to the end of their deal will go - some will go on and do well elsewhere, but it isn't going to work here- they need a new environment. I can't imagine the covid situation helps, no real release when work is rubbish, no way of letting go and clearing head.

But if what I hear re Cook and Dyer is true and what they want, and he wants to bring 10 of his own in then we are going to lose best part of 40 players this summer

You’ve just stated how players can’t flick a switch from what went on in the prior 18 months or so, but then are disappointed that we haven’t had a new manager bounce in 8 games. You are talking about the same group of players.

You’ve just answered your own question, they are stuck in their mentality, and when you add in the pure lack of ability, there is no wonder PC can’t get a tune out of this crop.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 22:33 - Apr 5 with 2273 viewstextbackup

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 22:26 - Apr 5 by itfcjoe

yeah that's the number I heard chucked around, even up to 12.

we just need blokes in who wont accept 2nd best, who demand the best from those around them. everyone has it far too easily and they never drive each other on.

we can remember the days when jim was off his game but Clapham picked up the baton and ran with it, if Johnno wasn't on it Scowcroft took the lead. these lot haven't got an ounce of fight left in them, if we ever saw it at all

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 22:40 - Apr 5 with 2247 viewsitfcjoe

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 22:33 - Apr 5 by textbackup

yeah that's the number I heard chucked around, even up to 12.

we just need blokes in who wont accept 2nd best, who demand the best from those around them. everyone has it far too easily and they never drive each other on.

we can remember the days when jim was off his game but Clapham picked up the baton and ran with it, if Johnno wasn't on it Scowcroft took the lead. these lot haven't got an ounce of fight left in them, if we ever saw it at all

Definitely a lack of character, in the games we went to this season for the Pompey one the players were noisy, bench was noisy and felt like tails up.....then we conceded and the only person in team or sideline you heard for rest of game was Chambers. It’s just nowhere near enough - you need a team of captains.

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 22:45 - Apr 5 with 2227 viewstextbackup

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 22:40 - Apr 5 by itfcjoe

Definitely a lack of character, in the games we went to this season for the Pompey one the players were noisy, bench was noisy and felt like tails up.....then we conceded and the only person in team or sideline you heard for rest of game was Chambers. It’s just nowhere near enough - you need a team of captains.

yeah exactly that. just nothing blokes.

we've gone full circle from a bit of an in joke that we just have a team of proper blokes, to craving a team with a bloke or two...

I saw a post on twitter earlier where someone said they could name a non-league/local football 11 to beat the current town first 11.... and I honestly believe they would do that with grit and determination, giving it the biggun, our lot would go within themselves and wilt

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 22:58 - Apr 5 with 2186 viewsIllinoisblue

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 22:23 - Apr 5 by radiogaga

Our post October form this season (and last season) is pretty reflective of what this squad is - a hard working but average mid table L1 team that lacks a goal threat, leaders and a winning mentality. Furthermore, the squad is very deep, but nobody from the fringes has come in and made a strong claim to get in the team. Chambers playing at left back says all we need to know - clearly he has demonstrated more in training/ games than the actual left backs we have at the club.

Our results under Cook have been hugely frustrating nonetheless. We had a chance to gatecrash the top 6 this season, a chance which has all but gone now.

I’m not at all convinced they’re hard working. Don’t see anyone busting a nut to make things happen. All content to knock it backwards. The coward’s pass.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 23:08 - Apr 5 with 2160 viewsSuperCoops

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 22:23 - Apr 5 by WicklowBlue

"If the players aren't as fit as the need to be at this stage of the season"

Agreed that's down to the previous regime totally. But to say there's nothing can be done is just accepting previous standards.

I think what Joe is saying is that there isn't the time to do that when we are (and have been) playing so many games so close to each other, along with rest and recovery and other things that need working on too.

Agree with that too. Needs a "normal" season, and hopefully Cook will be allowed to clean the slate fully during the summer and bring in whoever he deems is suitable.

But whoever stays needs a very big wake up call during the summer and realise that they'd be punted out of they're not up to speed or standard.
9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 23:11 - Apr 5 with 2152 viewstextbackup

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 23:08 - Apr 5 by SuperCoops

I think what Joe is saying is that there isn't the time to do that when we are (and have been) playing so many games so close to each other, along with rest and recovery and other things that need working on too.

Agree with that too. Needs a "normal" season, and hopefully Cook will be allowed to clean the slate fully during the summer and bring in whoever he deems is suitable.

But whoever stays needs a very big wake up call during the summer and realise that they'd be punted out of they're not up to speed or standard.

you'd like to think the players PC brings in will have his enthusiasm, and those that are left are in total shock that footballers behave in this way and pull their socks up

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 23:25 - Apr 5 with 2132 viewsreusersfreekicks

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 22:23 - Apr 5 by radiogaga

Err Chambers didn't play at left back Ward did
9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 23:29 - Apr 5 with 2124 viewswkj

I think I am with most when I say, most of what I judge Cook on will come next year.

The one thing I genuinely do feel Cook has to be given a black marker for is rushing KVY back into the main team. Not many people were convinced it was a good idea before the game, and of course, our doubts were correct.

Cook is the right man for the job - question is - will Marcus do enough to back him.

The answer is - Evans has to, or we wont really have much of a senior team next season.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 23:41 - Apr 5 with 2112 viewschrismakin

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 22:08 - Apr 5 by Kieran_Knows

Not one player wants to better themselves. He walks past the gym both morning and afternoon, to see who has come in early or stayed late, and nobody does.

He’s massive on that sort of thing. Quite rightly, the players had a day off after the Accrington game (the day he took charge). But he was up the training ground crack of dawn on the Wednesday and had hoped to see a few players in. Again, nobody came in.

I think he already knows what he wants to do this summer.

It was quite amazing how many players went home on 'that' Wednesday and only a few stayed behind

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 00:04 - Apr 6 with 2085 viewspointofblue

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 23:41 - Apr 5 by chrismakin

It was quite amazing how many players went home on 'that' Wednesday and only a few stayed behind

Reading between the lines, they don’t want to be here. And I don’t mean that in a dismissive way, that they’re disrespecting the club and don’t care - I’m actually starting to believe they actively hate it. I had a year at school which I loathed and I was always late on because I couldn’t find the energy to get out of bed as I knew what was coming up and that’s what this feels like. As a group, they’re almost depressed; everything is becoming a chore.

I think the players as a collective have lost their love of the game, no surprise considering the relentless negativity which has plagued the club over the past five years or so. It’s already obvious that Cook is going to wield the axe in six weeks time which is hardly motivational, even if it’s completely fair. Somehow, if he can get the love of the game back I think that’ll push us on to an extent and then, over the summer, new players with new positivity might just give some hope to the squad members who remain.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 00:07 - Apr 6 with 2080 viewsPinewoodblue

I've already regarded PC as someone with an infectious personality sadly far too many players are showing a resistance to him.

His only chance of making the play offs is to start with an eleven who he knows will take on board his requirements, assuming he can field a full team.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 00:07 - Apr 6 with 2078 viewschrismakin

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 00:04 - Apr 6 by pointofblue

Reading between the lines, they don’t want to be here. And I don’t mean that in a dismissive way, that they’re disrespecting the club and don’t care - I’m actually starting to believe they actively hate it. I had a year at school which I loathed and I was always late on because I couldn’t find the energy to get out of bed as I knew what was coming up and that’s what this feels like. As a group, they’re almost depressed; everything is becoming a chore.

I think the players as a collective have lost their love of the game, no surprise considering the relentless negativity which has plagued the club over the past five years or so. It’s already obvious that Cook is going to wield the axe in six weeks time which is hardly motivational, even if it’s completely fair. Somehow, if he can get the love of the game back I think that’ll push us on to an extent and then, over the summer, new players with new positivity might just give some hope to the squad members who remain.

It must have been really draining as a player over the past 2 years, to be so close to the playoffs and play with such disinterest in the game you're involved in.

I'd love to have seen footage of the club behind the scenes under Lambert, the rumours were always how miserable he was as a football person yet away from football would be laughing, playing jokes on people, yet players never got to see that side of him, how regimental and 'boring' did he make being part of the club.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 00:13 - Apr 6 with 2073 viewstextbackup

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 00:04 - Apr 6 by pointofblue

bet theyve not lost their love for being paid £2/3/4k a week tho

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 00:15 - Apr 6 with 2070 viewschrismakin

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 00:13 - Apr 6 by textbackup

I think it was Paul Knows, or someone mentioned most of our contracts are flat weekly based wages with no bonus's for goals, wins or anything included in them. Is that norm for this level? I know people who get £50 a goal on a sunday.

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 00:17 - Apr 6 with 2067 viewspointofblue

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 00:07 - Apr 6 by chrismakin

It must have been really draining as a player over the past 2 years, to be so close to the playoffs and play with such disinterest in the game you're involved in.

I'd love to have seen footage of the club behind the scenes under Lambert, the rumours were always how miserable he was as a football person yet away from football would be laughing, playing jokes on people, yet players never got to see that side of him, how regimental and 'boring' did he make being part of the club.

I think this may be an issue where Cook’s honesty can be a bit to on the nose - was it after Gillingham he said we’re in a competition which we really shouldn’t be in when referring to the play offs? Then in the next breath he rightly says we need a bit more confidence. It’s mixed messages, “you’re not good enough but have a bit of faith”.

The one thing I have hope for is how he has recent history of suddenly falling into a run of form out of nothing; Wigan were horrific for a large part of the season then suddenly won match after match. I’m not saying he’ll manage it this season but he he has a record of keeping players on an even keel. The matches to May will be his toughest task yet.

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 00:19 - Apr 6 with 2061 viewspointofblue

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 00:13 - Apr 6 by textbackup

This is a problem with being dismissive over the players salaries though - money doesn’t necessarily mean an individual or group will be happy and never will.

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 00:25 - Apr 6 with 2059 viewschrismakin

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 00:17 - Apr 6 by pointofblue

I think this may be an issue where Cook’s honesty can be a bit to on the nose - was it after Gillingham he said we’re in a competition which we really shouldn’t be in when referring to the play offs? Then in the next breath he rightly says we need a bit more confidence. It’s mixed messages, “you’re not good enough but have a bit of faith”.

The one thing I have hope for is how he has recent history of suddenly falling into a run of form out of nothing; Wigan were horrific for a large part of the season then suddenly won match after match. I’m not saying he’ll manage it this season but he he has a record of keeping players on an even keel. The matches to May will be his toughest task yet.

If and that is a big IF, we have the likes of KVY, Downes, Bennetts, Norwood, Hawkins, all available, we still have a shot of winning some games, not sure how many, but we have a chance.

Bennetts for all his frustratingly bad end product, he is direct, he is a horrible ankle biter winger and he was a massive plus for us in our high pressured approached against the likes of Hull etc, he offers so much more off the ball than the likes of Judge, Edwards, Parrott etc when occupying the wide roles.
KVY - capable of doing magical things at RB, but we need him desperately
Downes, need to keep injury free and card free, massive players and a massive miss
Norwood - only striker we can trust to score, it may take a few chances and no we aren't creating many, but he's the only one you can put trust in
Hawkins, so vital to bring others into play, and being the big guy in the box, opens set pieces up for others to nip in with a goal or two.

If we continue with todays and Friday's team, we have no hope, it's shocking, absolutely shocking.

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 00:27 - Apr 6 with 2050 viewstractorboy1978

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 00:17 - Apr 6 by pointofblue

We look so bereft of anything that I will be amazed if we go on any run. Wigan and Rochdale have conceded 66 and 69 goals respectively and we didn't lay a glove on either. We don't even look like we can do the basics going forwards.

All of them had a great opportunity with Cook coming in - clean slate, infectious manager with high standards to impress and they look like they've gone even further into their shells. A really pathetic bunch in my estimations, comfortably the worst I've ever seen in a Town shirt.

Judge's post match today sums up the malaise, standards and state the club is in right now - saying Rochdale away isn't an easy place and it's a good point. This is a senior player with international caps who should be setting the tone. Words fail me.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2021 0:29]
9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 00:28 - Apr 6 with 2053 viewstextbackup

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 00:19 - Apr 6 by pointofblue

This is a problem with being dismissive over the players salaries though - money doesn’t necessarily mean an individual or group will be happy and never will.

so what the fck are they in this profession for then?

I don't see a single one of them in it for pride (2/3 season of failing to show anything resembling pride), they don't show a passion for it either. leaving money as the only thing carrying them through.

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 00:30 - Apr 6 with 2045 viewsBlueBadger

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 21:06 - Apr 5 by Herbivore

I think we're seeing what happens to a group of players when you keep a manager in post for a full year longer than you should. The damage done seems to be massive. The players have no belief, no resilience, and too many of them won't be here next season so probably aren't giving it their all. These players should have enough about them to beat the likes of Rochdale but that display was embarrassing. It's also not ideal that Cook hasn't inspired any improvement at all so far.

Boom.

Spot on.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 00:30 - Apr 6 with 2045 viewsThe_Last_Baron

9 points in 8 games since changing the manager.... on 21:28 - Apr 5 by itfcjoe

We weren't good under Lambert - but we've played the bottom 2 teams in the league over this weekend and looked decent for the first 10 minutes of it. We were beyond awful against Gillingham and Fleetwood, and dire against Wigan.

I'm sure every fan was expecting some level of improvement when the manager changed, that we haven't seen it, when the play offs are still within easy reach, is hugely disappointing and frustrating.

I don't think there is much to be done with this bunch of players. I'm expecting 15 exits this summer and they will be richly deserved.

We have only 3/4 players in the whole squad who are up to the job and the best of these is permanently injured.

Pep Guardiola wouldn't be able to get this crew into the play-offs.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024