Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Portman Road masks 10:31 - Jul 17 with 8997 viewsbluelagos

Hopefully we can keep this civil...

What you think the club should do?

Allow people the choice?
Insist on masks in the stadium?
Insist except when sat down?
Provide mask sections where they are compulsory?
Provide non mask areas?

No easy answers but maybe people can give their views so the club understands what people would like...

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Portman Road masks on 16:56 - Jul 17 with 2045 viewsGarv

Portman Road masks on 13:37 - Jul 17 by tractorshark

Personally, I think we’re lifting some restrictions like mask-wearing too soon, although I accept we have to make a step back to normality.
But I have no problem with wearing a mask at Portman Road if it in any way allows us to keep watching football. Surely anything that helps us return to normal day-to-day activities is worth pursuing.
Sadly, the government advice is so wishy-washy that it will just be ignored and no masks will be worn. Until, of course, we can’t control the virus in late September and October and the stadiums are partially or fully closed.
I am tired of telling people the wearing of masks isn’t about you. You may feel invincible but others clearly aren’t. You are potentially putting their lives at risk.
And while you may think it’s only happening to other people, it’s just a matter of time before something lands on your doorstep.
Unfortunately, right now, we live in a selfish society fuelled by the hate, hypocrisy and hysteria of social media.

'Unfortunately, right now, we live in a selfish society fuelled by the hate, hypocrisy and hysteria of social media.'

I don't think I've seen a truer word said on this forum.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Portman Road masks on 16:56 - Jul 17 with 2042 viewsupthewallpaul

Surely football should follow the same rules as everyone else. Even in the peak of lockdown there has never been a requirement to wear masks outside. Inside the concourse should follow the same rules as shops, trains, etc - whatever rules are in force on the day of the game. Not for football clubs or businesses to make the law.
Portman Road masks on 17:17 - Jul 17 with 1991 viewsBlueBadger

Portman Road masks on 10:43 - Jul 17 by trncbluearmy

Have no intention of wearing a mask in any area unless compulsory

however I appreciate this is a confidence/health issue , a journey back to normality, everybody will have their own time frame

Every ground not just FPR should have areas that can be social distanced, monitored, allowing people able to return to their normal seats when happy to do so

Sir Alf upper 3 and Cobbold A would be perfect
[Post edited 17 Jul 2021 10:44]

Ah, well at least you know who to blame when you're whining about lockdown 3, then.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2021 0:40]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Portman Road masks on 17:20 - Jul 17 with 1987 viewsbluelagos

Portman Road masks on 11:33 - Jul 17 by Ryorry

As the thread already shows, there are going to be polarised views on this.

Realistically & pragmatically, seems to me the best option would be to have separated mask-wearing/non-mask-wearing areas, as far away from each other as possible, and for seating in the mask-areas to be socially distanced. That might encourage those who are far from confident to return, and would have the bonus of displaying as a real, live opinion poll indicating to the Club the way to go for the next home game!

That's very much my view. To provide a safe way to watch the game for those who wish to do so whilst respecting those who wish to watch unmasked.

Whether that is possible, given ST are already sold and moving people would be difficult, I have no idea.

Feel for the club (like many businesses) as they are almost guaranteed to make some people very unhappy it seems.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Portman Road masks on 18:03 - Jul 17 with 1925 viewsBlueBadger

Portman Road masks on 10:57 - Jul 17 by Stewart27

Why?

Covid is here forever.

We can’t keep going into lockdown every time the cases are high.

People will always die on the roads. We should do nothing about drink drivers, dangerous vehicles and road conditions and bad drivers.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2021 10:47]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Portman Road masks on 18:04 - Jul 17 with 1923 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Portman Road masks on 16:56 - Jul 17 by upthewallpaul

Surely football should follow the same rules as everyone else. Even in the peak of lockdown there has never been a requirement to wear masks outside. Inside the concourse should follow the same rules as shops, trains, etc - whatever rules are in force on the day of the game. Not for football clubs or businesses to make the law.

But this is the very point. There will apparently be no legal requirement to wear a mask and there are no generic rules that everyone needs to follow.

So you are right, it is not for businesses to make the law, but it is the responsibility of businesses to ensure their premises are safe for employees and visitors alike. So it is for businesses to determine what measures should be in place in their premises. As we have seen with pubs, those measures will vary from hostelry to hostelry.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Portman Road masks on 18:08 - Jul 17 with 1917 viewsEdmundo

Portman Road masks on 18:03 - Jul 17 by BlueBadger

People will always die on the roads. We should do nothing about drink drivers, dangerous vehicles and road conditions and bad drivers.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2021 10:47]

Stopping dangerous and drunk people from driving clearly saves lives with no collateral damage. I have had to say goodbye to 4 people since lockdown 1: one from covid, 3 from suicide.

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

Portman Road masks on 18:33 - Jul 17 with 1868 viewsNorthstandoldie

Portman Road masks on 11:11 - Jul 17 by DebsyAngel

Thanks for being considerate J2. I wish there was some kind of proof as well as the lanyard I could provide - but doctors are not doing letters etc.

My opinion is that there should also be an option that people who are isolating or have symptoms can use their season ticket to watch matches on IFollow, as people will want to see the match and just come to it, regardless if been told to isolate. So typing your season ticket details in would give you a pass to a match. Better than not seeing the action at all. This could also be an option for people (like myself) who are too scared to risk coming to matches for the time being until cases fall.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2021 11:13]

I have Copd so mask wearing is not compulsory for me either although I can bear it for a couple of mins if I pop in a shop. I do however wear a face shield while at work and it helps both myself and others to see I'm at least making an effort.
Have you tried a shield Debsy?
Login to get fewer ads

Portman Road masks on 18:46 - Jul 17 with 1848 viewsdickie

Portman Road masks on 16:56 - Jul 17 by upthewallpaul

There was guidance about social distancing outside though, it would be nigh on impossible to maintain 1m+ distance between all spectators without dramatically reducing attendance numbers.
Portman Road masks on 19:20 - Jul 17 with 1813 viewsDebsyAngel

Portman Road masks on 18:33 - Jul 17 by Northstandoldie

I have Copd so mask wearing is not compulsory for me either although I can bear it for a couple of mins if I pop in a shop. I do however wear a face shield while at work and it helps both myself and others to see I'm at least making an effort.
Have you tried a shield Debsy?

Just could not get on with them at all. Too bulky for me sadly.
Portman Road masks on 20:05 - Jul 17 with 1769 viewswkj

Ultimately, I fear the subject of this conversation won't be down to debate for too long. I have a feeling the government are letting it spike with the intention to do another period of lockdown to line the trough up with the winter months.

Not so much a conspiracy theory of my own, but in line with what Dominic Cummings alledged Johnson wanted to do last year.

I would be shocked if we don't have crowd restrictions in place by the end of October

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Portman Road masks on 20:13 - Jul 17 with 1755 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Portman Road masks on 20:05 - Jul 17 by wkj

Ultimately, I fear the subject of this conversation won't be down to debate for too long. I have a feeling the government are letting it spike with the intention to do another period of lockdown to line the trough up with the winter months.

Not so much a conspiracy theory of my own, but in line with what Dominic Cummings alledged Johnson wanted to do last year.

I would be shocked if we don't have crowd restrictions in place by the end of October

So the plan is to prevent the NHS dealing with anything routine until it is then overrun by the usual busy period in addition to the after-effects of what they have allowed to happen.

Basically, those who have had routine treatment delayed already can expect it to be next calendar year before anything is potentially done.

At that time, Johnson and co will use the inability of the NHS to cope as evidence that it needs private funding and not evidence that the money they have corruptly given to their mates could have been better used on the NHS.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Portman Road masks on 20:16 - Jul 17 with 1744 viewswkj

Portman Road masks on 20:13 - Jul 17 by Nthsuffolkblue

So the plan is to prevent the NHS dealing with anything routine until it is then overrun by the usual busy period in addition to the after-effects of what they have allowed to happen.

Basically, those who have had routine treatment delayed already can expect it to be next calendar year before anything is potentially done.

At that time, Johnson and co will use the inability of the NHS to cope as evidence that it needs private funding and not evidence that the money they have corruptly given to their mates could have been better used on the NHS.

I don't disagree at all. Managing a pandemic isn't anything I would have to do as a world leader - but there have been so many patently wrong decisions along the way, that no matter how desperately we may need another lockdown in the future, less and less people will bother paying any attention to it.

The sheer amount of jubilation on social media about "Deleting the App" does leave me concerned about how brazen a significant number of people may become as of Monday.

Especially given the fact that a sizeable number of people in the 30-40 age bracket are not expected to have their 2nd dose until early August.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2021 20:17]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Portman Road masks on 20:16 - Jul 17 with 1747 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Portman Road masks on 18:08 - Jul 17 by Edmundo

Stopping dangerous and drunk people from driving clearly saves lives with no collateral damage. I have had to say goodbye to 4 people since lockdown 1: one from covid, 3 from suicide.

I am very sorry for your losses.

However this is as much evidence of the shocking state of mental health provision and the impact of the continuing poor handling of the situation by the Government as anything.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Portman Road masks on 21:55 - Jul 17 with 1657 viewskeighleyblue

Portman Road masks on 11:15 - Jul 17 by brogansnose

You're right about people like Debsy but conversely I feel that there's going to be a lot more comments heading towards those that choose or have to wear masks especially at the football post 19 / 7.

it'll be the new Brexit innit
Portman Road masks on 22:59 - Jul 17 with 1612 viewsElderGrizzly

Portman Road masks on 11:06 - Jul 17 by J2BLUE

There's a fortnight between the ridiculously named 'freedom day' and the time when any announcement needs to be made. I would imagine every club will be nervously watching the numbers.

I predict masks will be strongly advised but not compulsory. I don't mind wearing a mask so it wouldn't be a big deal for me to carry on wearing one after 'freedom day'. Government already backtracking on reopening being irreversible. Now we have nothing left but hope that this isn't going to be a complete disaster.

If the government are advising that masks are not compulsory then you can't blame people for not wearing one.

If anyone is very pro mask, it's worth remembering some people are genuinely exempt like Debsy so be kind people.

I assume the EFL will come up with a ruling to be applied across all clubs.

And I expect that to be masks in all indoor areas, choice while watching the game but encouraging their use

We can of course see the stadium shut down if too many cases occur that are linked to the club
Portman Road masks on 23:22 - Jul 17 with 1583 viewsJ2BLUE

Portman Road masks on 22:59 - Jul 17 by ElderGrizzly

I assume the EFL will come up with a ruling to be applied across all clubs.

And I expect that to be masks in all indoor areas, choice while watching the game but encouraging their use

We can of course see the stadium shut down if too many cases occur that are linked to the club

I don't get some of our fans who love watching Town who would seemingly do anything not to use a mask when that would give them the best chance of being able to continue going to games.

Family member was at Wembley for the final. Now got Covid. It's closing in from all angles.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Portman Road masks on 08:57 - Jul 18 with 1473 viewsBluedanW

I for one would like to get back to normal as soon as possible and don't particularly want to wear a mask.

However whilst infection rates are still very high we should make masks compulsory in the concourse and toilets.

I went to newmarket racing last Friday and nobody was wearing masks in the toilets there and they were allowing tables of more than 6. Saying that capacity was reduced and it was a pleasant day put more than usual as no fighting for a drink up the bar.

Maybe now with covid it could be a chance to get rid of the stupid rule where you can't drink alcohol sitting watching the game. Every other sport allows it. Maybe still only sell at halftime and then you can take to your seats. That would mean you not need to crowd in the concourse
Portman Road masks on 14:52 - Jul 18 with 1364 viewsSarge

I wouldn’t object for them to be required in the concourses although at Portman Road I think they’d be close to useless because most of the pre-match spaces are outside, particularly in the Britannia stand. And if they’re not actually doing much then I don’t agree with wearing them just for the sake of it. Really it should be medical grade ones or nothing though, because one of the SAGE scientists doesn’t think the ones most people wear do anything:

“ "The public were demanding something must be done, they got masks, it is just a comfort blanket," Dr Axon noted. "But now it is entrenched, and we are entrenching bad behaviour.
"All around the world you can look at mask mandates and superimpose on infection rates, you cannot see that mask mandates made any effect whatsoever.
"The best thing you can say about any mask is that any positive effect they do have is too small to be measured."

https://apple.news/A2Pu4-hNgSr-ea3Vc8mSvbg
Portman Road masks on 16:55 - Jul 18 with 1306 viewsCaptMickMills

I would have no problem with mask wearing if enabled more people to attend.
Portman Road masks on 17:39 - Jul 18 with 1280 viewsMerseyBlue

Portman Road masks on 14:52 - Jul 18 by Sarge

I wouldn’t object for them to be required in the concourses although at Portman Road I think they’d be close to useless because most of the pre-match spaces are outside, particularly in the Britannia stand. And if they’re not actually doing much then I don’t agree with wearing them just for the sake of it. Really it should be medical grade ones or nothing though, because one of the SAGE scientists doesn’t think the ones most people wear do anything:

“ "The public were demanding something must be done, they got masks, it is just a comfort blanket," Dr Axon noted. "But now it is entrenched, and we are entrenching bad behaviour.
"All around the world you can look at mask mandates and superimpose on infection rates, you cannot see that mask mandates made any effect whatsoever.
"The best thing you can say about any mask is that any positive effect they do have is too small to be measured."

Dr Axon has confirmed that he is not actually a SAGE advisor. He is an engineering lecturer who led a background paper over a year ago. He also has some interesting views about the ethics of pubs and cafes wanting to know the health status of patrons, whilst the Telegraph who published this story have gone down a very iffy path with regards to covid coverage.

Whilst the Dr may be right about masks being imperfect, their approach is coming from an engineering standpoint. In fact, he seems to believe that medical scientists lack the understanding to imagine the miniature scale at which the virus works, which seems pretty self-important. Basically his argument is that the masks aren't the silver bullet some people think they are, but SAGE have backed the use of masks for the general public - they see more of a problem with the same basic type of mask being used for extended periods by health care professionals. The main reason the government has overturned the mask measures is because they've been told it could cost the hospitality and events industry £4bn.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/inews.co.uk/news/politics/ministers-ditched-face-ma

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Portman Road masks on 17:52 - Jul 18 with 1241 viewsSarge

Portman Road masks on 17:39 - Jul 18 by MerseyBlue

Dr Axon has confirmed that he is not actually a SAGE advisor. He is an engineering lecturer who led a background paper over a year ago. He also has some interesting views about the ethics of pubs and cafes wanting to know the health status of patrons, whilst the Telegraph who published this story have gone down a very iffy path with regards to covid coverage.

Whilst the Dr may be right about masks being imperfect, their approach is coming from an engineering standpoint. In fact, he seems to believe that medical scientists lack the understanding to imagine the miniature scale at which the virus works, which seems pretty self-important. Basically his argument is that the masks aren't the silver bullet some people think they are, but SAGE have backed the use of masks for the general public - they see more of a problem with the same basic type of mask being used for extended periods by health care professionals. The main reason the government has overturned the mask measures is because they've been told it could cost the hospitality and events industry £4bn.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/inews.co.uk/news/politics/ministers-ditched-face-ma

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification
Portman Road masks on 17:55 - Jul 18 with 1225 viewsMerseyBlue

Portman Road masks on 17:52 - Jul 18 by Sarge

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification

No problemo, there are plenty of other people on here with a far better understanding of it than me so I wouldn't bank on my explanation being 100% correct but I had come across this Telegraph story as well myself.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Portman Road masks on 19:51 - Jul 18 with 1175 viewsStokieBlue

Portman Road masks on 14:52 - Jul 18 by Sarge

He is incorrect.

There are peer-reviewed studies showing that mask wearing works and decreases the risk to others. One was posted on here not long ago.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Portman Road masks on 00:08 - Jul 19 with 1104 viewsSharkey

I believe singing is supposed to be one of the worst things you can do, so people need to be reminded to pipe down.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024