Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner 14:26 - Oct 18 with 17286 viewsMaySixth

when we do win a game under Cook there can be no bandwagon jumping or changing their minds

no coming back now though for those who have nailed their colours to the mast

[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 14:27]

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 22:08 - Oct 19 with 2513 viewsdirtyboy

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 22:03 - Oct 19 by Burns7

We're 13th and it's nearly November, if Lambert was still boss you'd all be foaming at this failure. Am I glad Town won? Yes. Do I think Cook is great tonight? No. Do I think he's failed. Yes.

If he does however turn it around and we go up I will put my hands up and say I was wrong, but presently we're still in the middle of this league, where we have been for the past 3 years so forgive me if I don't wet myself with excitement.

Do people like you ever look forward to waking up in the morning?
Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 22:09 - Oct 19 with 2512 viewsMaySixth

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 22:03 - Oct 19 by Burns7

We're 13th and it's nearly November, if Lambert was still boss you'd all be foaming at this failure. Am I glad Town won? Yes. Do I think Cook is great tonight? No. Do I think he's failed. Yes.

If he does however turn it around and we go up I will put my hands up and say I was wrong, but presently we're still in the middle of this league, where we have been for the past 3 years so forgive me if I don't wet myself with excitement.

[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 22:30]

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 06:23 - Oct 20 with 2351 viewsKeaneish

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 19:37 - Oct 18 by itfcjoe

It feels to me more that the last 20 years has made us as a fanbase so desperate for any success we see it when it isn’t there - we are so desperate that the Donny win was us turning a corner that we talk ourselves into it and then the crushing reality comes over us the next game.

Since Mick, every manager has been put on a massive pedestal by not being the last guy, before they have earned it. No manager can ever just be left to start his job, they are billed as the messiah from day one

On the flip side some fail to see progression or when certain things are happening on the pitch to be able to spot when a corner might be turned or when it might improve. Doncaster was a turning point, no doubt about it and I said at the time there was something different in the air that night (without sounding like Phil Collins); last night was yet another milestone and everyone at Fratton felt it.

The main point is that patience and a collective understanding of how easily things can turn to our advantage have been missing for too long. We will lose some more games but we have most definitely clicked now, and I’ll say what I’ve been saying for a long time, Cook is and was the right appointment and this club is back on the way up. If some want to wait for their own personal mini milestones to be achieved to be able to say that then fair enough.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 06:30 - Oct 20 with 2343 viewsKeaneish

This post is riddled with contradiction. First it’s not early November unless you’ve quantum leaped, we still have two more league games to play in October. And, with that in mind, how can any manager who has picked-up 14pts from the last 21 be deemed to have failed (past tense) when the club is upwardly mobile!?

You talk of, “turning it around” like there’s been some horrendous disaster. This is so out-of-touch with what is happening at the club and way out of kilter with the ambition, the backing and the planning; it’s a bewildering view but each to their own. You can wallow in misery but I aim to enjoy every step of this season. Home Park next up for me.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 07:40 - Oct 20 with 2270 viewsportmanking

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 06:23 - Oct 20 by Keaneish

On the flip side some fail to see progression or when certain things are happening on the pitch to be able to spot when a corner might be turned or when it might improve. Doncaster was a turning point, no doubt about it and I said at the time there was something different in the air that night (without sounding like Phil Collins); last night was yet another milestone and everyone at Fratton felt it.

The main point is that patience and a collective understanding of how easily things can turn to our advantage have been missing for too long. We will lose some more games but we have most definitely clicked now, and I’ll say what I’ve been saying for a long time, Cook is and was the right appointment and this club is back on the way up. If some want to wait for their own personal mini milestones to be achieved to be able to say that then fair enough.

This. With bells on.

I'd argue the last 20 years have actually meant our fanbase are less patient than ever before. Every defeat is microanalysed to the inch of its life. Why certain fans simply cannot get on board with the project and accept it was never going to be an overnight process beggars belief.

Why can't we just enjoy growing as a team and club again? We'd all like to be winning week in, week out, but there are so many variables involved with rebuilding a squad and club. As various players have intimated in press interviews of late, many have had their own personal issues/battles off the field to contend with too. It's not always so black and white. Just stick with them. Don't be part of the Sky Sports generation.
Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 07:44 - Oct 20 with 2256 viewswitchdoctor

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 14:37 - Oct 18 by The_Flashing_Smile

Have you seen Blubbers avatar? There are a few others - Burns7, TimmyYeo to name a couple. There's a few more but I can't remember their names.

ahhh…but he said anyone serious which rules out the blubster..😉
Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 07:52 - Oct 20 with 2239 viewsBondiBlue

No coming back? What does that mean?

3 minutes after full time at cambridge i said cook out because he did a crap job of getting us over the line to a much needed 3 points. I was very emotional. It's not a good idea to make decisions when emotional so i'm glad ashton didn't.

Are we not allowed to vent on here any more? Is it some sort of competition to eventually be right about whether a manager was good or not? Are we all trying to prove we know more about football than everyone else? Bit childish.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 07:59 - Oct 20 with 2221 viewsportmanking

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 07:52 - Oct 20 by BondiBlue

No coming back? What does that mean?

3 minutes after full time at cambridge i said cook out because he did a crap job of getting us over the line to a much needed 3 points. I was very emotional. It's not a good idea to make decisions when emotional so i'm glad ashton didn't.

Are we not allowed to vent on here any more? Is it some sort of competition to eventually be right about whether a manager was good or not? Are we all trying to prove we know more about football than everyone else? Bit childish.

No-one's trying to prove they know more about football. I think those who could see there was steady, incremental progress in the last 6 weeks have just been fed up with being told we're wrong to back the project and should get behind ripping it all up again.
Login to get fewer ads

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 08:21 - Oct 20 with 2179 viewsHerbivore

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 06:23 - Oct 20 by Keaneish

Doncaster was a turning point that was followed up with three average to poor performances that yielded 4 points. You went on hiatus after the Accrington game having gone hard on how we'd definitely turned a corner and anyone doubting Cook was wrong, I thought maybe that experience might have taught you something but clearly not.

Last night was good. I just said elsewhere it's our first convincing performance away from home under Cook and the first time in ages we've come on strong after half time. But one game is not a corner turned as we discovered after the Donny game. We're yet to win back to back league games and we're in the bottom half after a kind opening 13 games. The aim is promotion and we're still a way off competing at the right end of the table. We absolutely have to now string some wins together in a row. Do that and it will look like perhaps we have turned a corner. For now it's a much needed win and an improved performance and that's it.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 08:26 - Oct 20 with 2169 viewsblueysbackside

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 07:40 - Oct 20 by portmanking

This. With bells on.

I'd argue the last 20 years have actually meant our fanbase are less patient than ever before. Every defeat is microanalysed to the inch of its life. Why certain fans simply cannot get on board with the project and accept it was never going to be an overnight process beggars belief.

Why can't we just enjoy growing as a team and club again? We'd all like to be winning week in, week out, but there are so many variables involved with rebuilding a squad and club. As various players have intimated in press interviews of late, many have had their own personal issues/battles off the field to contend with too. It's not always so black and white. Just stick with them. Don't be part of the Sky Sports generation.

This is a tremendous post and should come with a round of applause when you open it.
Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 08:34 - Oct 20 with 2145 viewsHerbivore

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 07:40 - Oct 20 by portmanking

This. With bells on.

Jesus wept. Cook has been here 8 months and his record has been terrible and yet he still gets applauded on to the pitch at PR, nobody is getting banners out calling for his head. Our fans are a patient bunch, plenty of other fan bases would have turned on him massively after his performance last season but we cut him slack. Plenty would have wanted him gone after us sitting bottom half after a quarter of this season when we'd assembled the best squad in the league. The support is it the issue here, Cook himself has said he's surprised at the backing he's received from the fans because, frankly, he's not earnt it through his record here. All this sniping at fellow fans after one win when we're still a way off where we need to be is madness.

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 08:36 - Oct 20 with 2145 viewsRomeo4

This. With bells on.

Well said that man! We’d all like instant success but that doesn’t usually happen and sometimes it is more sustainable to see incremental improvements over a period of time. We’ve been on a downward spiral for a long long time which has taken its toll on us fans. Let’s just try and enjoy the journey back up……..even if it doesn’t happen overnight.

I now enjoy watching us play and am genuinely excited by our prospects. That’s surely a better place to be than the feelings generated over the previous few seasons.
Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 08:42 - Oct 20 with 2134 viewsportmanking

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 08:34 - Oct 20 by Herbivore

Jesus wept. Cook has been here 8 months and his record has been terrible and yet he still gets applauded on to the pitch at PR, nobody is getting banners out calling for his head. Our fans are a patient bunch, plenty of other fan bases would have turned on him massively after his performance last season but we cut him slack. Plenty would have wanted him gone after us sitting bottom half after a quarter of this season when we'd assembled the best squad in the league. The support is it the issue here, Cook himself has said he's surprised at the backing he's received from the fans because, frankly, he's not earnt it through his record here. All this sniping at fellow fans after one win when we're still a way off where we need to be is madness.

You're a prime example. A quarter of a season? We've been in playoff form for the last five games, so in reality we struggled for eight games max. He's not said he's surprised at the backing HE'S received, he's surprised at how well we travel. There's a difference.

You're clearly not part of the 'patient bunch' if you're prepared to turn so quickly? We don't NEED to be anywhere at 13 games gone. Ideally we'd be striding ahead at the top like Plymouth, but that didn't do us any favours in the last 2 seasons did it? What's wrong with steadily building up a head of steam? Nothing IMO...
Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 08:43 - Oct 20 with 2133 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 08:34 - Oct 20 by Herbivore

Don't think they would.

I think any set of fans would have seen a bunch of players who had underperformed season after season, would have understood the writing was on the wall for many of them AND that the players would also know it.

The harking back to last season with a mostly lame duck squad is a misnomer. No one else got a tune out of that squad either and when Cook came in it was evident that we all just had to get through it.

I see little value in looking at last season, the circumstances were so unusual.

What I see is a team improving, that of course may change. The is an expectation of instant success but succees is rarely instant in any walk of life. Cook and the squad need and deserve time.

This time last year and the year before we were top(ish) of the league and then looked what happened. The lesson from that is clearly wait and see.

That doesn't mean we have to clap and cheer everything, it does mean a bit of hubris and patience is probably called for

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 08:50 - Oct 20 with 2117 viewsHerbivore

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 08:42 - Oct 20 by portmanking

You're a prime example. A quarter of a season? We've been in playoff form for the last five games, so in reality we struggled for eight games max. He's not said he's surprised at the backing HE'S received, he's surprised at how well we travel. There's a difference.

You're clearly not part of the 'patient bunch' if you're prepared to turn so quickly? We don't NEED to be anywhere at 13 games gone. Ideally we'd be striding ahead at the top like Plymouth, but that didn't do us any favours in the last 2 seasons did it? What's wrong with steadily building up a head of steam? Nothing IMO...

We're 6th in the form table. Remaining 6th in the form table for the rest of the season may or may not see us squeak into 6th place, our early season form means we're playing catch up. That would still be a disappointing season given what we spent in the summer and that the aim was to be challenging for automatic promotion. We are still a way off where we want to be and whilst last night looks like progress the three performances that prfceded it very much didn't. Let's see if we can string together a run of better performances and better results. That's what we all want to see. And the notion that it's fine to start the season badly because we started the last two seasons well and then faded is ridiculous.

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 08:53 - Oct 20 with 2101 viewsportmanking

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 08:50 - Oct 20 by Herbivore

We're 6th in the form table. Remaining 6th in the form table for the rest of the season may or may not see us squeak into 6th place, our early season form means we're playing catch up. That would still be a disappointing season given what we spent in the summer and that the aim was to be challenging for automatic promotion. We are still a way off where we want to be and whilst last night looks like progress the three performances that prfceded it very much didn't. Let's see if we can string together a run of better performances and better results. That's what we all want to see. And the notion that it's fine to start the season badly because we started the last two seasons well and then faded is ridiculous.

Why is it a ridiculous notion? There is more than one way to skin a cat. I'd rather build sustainable success than start early and race into a false position. As for previous performances, Cambridge wasn't as bad as many made out. We controlled the game for large periods. We're heading in the right direction and partnerships are forming. Just give it time FFS.
Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 09:04 - Oct 20 with 2084 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 08:53 - Oct 20 by portmanking

Why is it a ridiculous notion? There is more than one way to skin a cat. I'd rather build sustainable success than start early and race into a false position. As for previous performances, Cambridge wasn't as bad as many made out. We controlled the game for large periods. We're heading in the right direction and partnerships are forming. Just give it time FFS.

Some don't want to give it time, with some posts on here between Cambridge and last night and a massive amount of posts on Facebook and Twitter you can see that some people are desperate, absolutely desperate for Cook to fail. Mainly I assume because of the way he cast last seasons squad aside, in particular young players who, Downes aside, (who, was always going to end up in the championship this season anyway, Cook or not), have constantly shown themselves of being unable to kick on at this club.

It will be interesting to see if these fans change their opinions should those young players fail to kick on elsewhere too.

Note: I said they want Cook to fail, not Ipswich.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 09:10 - Oct 20 with 2067 viewsHerbivore

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 08:53 - Oct 20 by portmanking

Why are you telling me to give it time? I've not called for Cook to be sacked. But we need to put a genuine run together quickly. Teams that start as poorly as us rarely go on to win promotion. You will point to Blackpool I'm sure but the vast majority of sides that go up are top half or top 8 at least at this stage of the season 9 times out of 10. That doesn't mean we can't still get promoted, although automatic looks out of reach already, but it needs a run of promotion form for us to get there and that needs to start ASAP. We can't afford much more of the season to pass with us not able to win games back to back. And I disagree that Cambridge wasn't bad, we threw away a two goal lead and lost control of the game in the final quarter. That is bad and the sort of performance we can't afford too often. Same goes for the Accrington game. The Shrewsbury game wasn't loads better either performance wise. We've got to string performances and results together if we don't want to write off yet another season in League 1. Last night was encouraging but we've got to back it up. And Cook has been here 8 months now, it's not like people are getting on his back after 3 games.

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 09:17 - Oct 20 with 2058 viewspositivity

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 09:10 - Oct 20 by Herbivore

Why are you telling me to give it time? I've not called for Cook to be sacked. But we need to put a genuine run together quickly. Teams that start as poorly as us rarely go on to win promotion. You will point to Blackpool I'm sure but the vast majority of sides that go up are top half or top 8 at least at this stage of the season 9 times out of 10. That doesn't mean we can't still get promoted, although automatic looks out of reach already, but it needs a run of promotion form for us to get there and that needs to start ASAP. We can't afford much more of the season to pass with us not able to win games back to back. And I disagree that Cambridge wasn't bad, we threw away a two goal lead and lost control of the game in the final quarter. That is bad and the sort of performance we can't afford too often. Same goes for the Accrington game. The Shrewsbury game wasn't loads better either performance wise. We've got to string performances and results together if we don't want to write off yet another season in League 1. Last night was encouraging but we've got to back it up. And Cook has been here 8 months now, it's not like people are getting on his back after 3 games.

whilst i'd agree in general that we shouldn't go overboard after a good performance, just like we shouldn't go all blubbers after a poor one, i'd take issue with one thing.

"but it needs a run of promotion form for us to get there and that needs to start ASAP".

it started 7 games and 14 points ago! that's over half the season so far...

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 09:41 - Oct 20 with 2030 viewsTooManyCooks

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 08:50 - Oct 20 by Herbivore

"given what we spent in the summer" There seems to be this notion floating around that we've gone out and blown a huge transfer chest on players, but to my knowledge (and according to our CEO) we ended up roughly net on transfers.

hedgehog flavoured cucumbers

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 09:47 - Oct 20 with 2023 viewshype313

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 09:41 - Oct 20 by TooManyCooks

"given what we spent in the summer" There seems to be this notion floating around that we've gone out and blown a huge transfer chest on players, but to my knowledge (and according to our CEO) we ended up roughly net on transfers.

Yes, but it's not transfer fees, it's wages, we blew out Championship sides on that front.

So when there is talk of what we spent in the summer, it's more than just fees.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 10:03 - Oct 20 with 1997 viewsTooManyCooks

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 09:47 - Oct 20 by hype313

Yes, but it's not transfer fees, it's wages, we blew out Championship sides on that front.

So when there is talk of what we spent in the summer, it's more than just fees.

Ashton said we recruited according to and within the SCMP rules, which says a max of 60% of Turnover can be spent on wages, same for every club in the league. I have no idea what our Turnover is/was, but I'd imagine it wasn't great after the pandemic and what ME had reduced us to.

What I'm seeing is a net on transfer fees and operating within SCMP limits on wages, in line with every other club in the division. None of that equates to a large spend, on fees or wages.

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 10:09 - Oct 20 with 1986 viewsHerbivore

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 10:03 - Oct 20 by TooManyCooks

Ashton said we recruited according to and within the SCMP rules, which says a max of 60% of Turnover can be spent on wages, same for every club in the league. I have no idea what our Turnover is/was, but I'd imagine it wasn't great after the pandemic and what ME had reduced us to.

What I'm seeing is a net on transfer fees and operating within SCMP limits on wages, in line with every other club in the division. None of that equates to a large spend, on fees or wages.

Fees in count towards turnover, fees out don't count on wage spending. Most sides at this level have to sell to balance the books on wages without being able to invest £3m plus on fees. Most sides can't justify risking paying Championship wages out of the £3m they've generated in incoming fees. Our spending on fees and wages relative to our level has been high, that's why we've managed to make the signings we've made.

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 10:16 - Oct 20 with 1973 viewsWilbrahamBlue

Special mention for those pushing Danny Cowley as the right choice instead of Cook until about 2 weeks ago....
Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 10:25 - Oct 20 with 1942 viewsTooManyCooks

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 10:09 - Oct 20 by Herbivore

Fees in count towards turnover, fees out don't count on wage spending. Most sides at this level have to sell to balance the books on wages without being able to invest £3m plus on fees. Most sides can't justify risking paying Championship wages out of the £3m they've generated in incoming fees. Our spending on fees and wages relative to our level has been high, that's why we've managed to make the signings we've made.

Ok, I get what you're saying, so the idea is that we are better off financially, as a club, than a lot of the other teams in the division. I don't know that for certain as I have no view of other clubs finances, but it doesn't seem an unreasonable suggestion on the face of it. I'm still not sure whether the fact we have better backing enables us to wangle more cash into wages as the limit is based on Turnover, which you'd think is a difficult number to "fudge", but again, I don't really know and nothing would surprise me on the creative accounting front where football clubs are concerned.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024