Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner 14:26 - Oct 18 with 17295 viewsMaySixth

when we do win a game under Cook there can be no bandwagon jumping or changing their minds

no coming back now though for those who have nailed their colours to the mast

[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 14:27]

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:07 - Oct 18 with 829 viewsBlueBadger

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:34 - Oct 18 by davblue

Cambridge 2nd half wasn't great but i don't agree it was a bad performance, 1st half we were pretty decent.

It's no good being 'pretty decent' for just one half though. We should have been able to comfortably see off Cambridge after going two goals up.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:07 - Oct 18 with 826 viewspositivity

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:51 - Oct 18 by BlueBadger

Alright, Roger Irrelevant.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 16:52]

leave it out, student grant

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:08 - Oct 18 with 825 viewsBlueBadger

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:06 - Oct 18 by The_Flashing_Smile

Cook hasn't had unconditional support. From anyone.

Would it help if you read 'unconditional' as 'the level of' or similar?
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 17:10]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:10 - Oct 18 with 818 viewsKeaneish

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:41 - Oct 18 by BlueBadger

Perhaps, just perhaps though, we could stop forming cults around under performing managers eh?

Cook has done nothing to deserve the level of support he's got after his 30+ games here. I'll be more than happy to eat my words if he turns it around but the fact remains that, at the moment, any side which shows a bit of backbone against us generally gets at least a point from us, even from seemingly unassailable positions.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 17:09]

That’s rich given a certain clique and their starry eyed wonderment of McCarthy!

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:11 - Oct 18 with 805 viewspositivity

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:53 - Oct 18 by jayessess

Depends which xG system you use, but Experimental361 have us about 6 points down on where we should be on balance of play.

https://experimental361.com/2021/10/17/expected-goals-table-league-1-15-16-oct-2

They think we should have beaten Cambridge, Sheffield Wednesday and Morecambe, drawn with Cheltenham, Burton, but were lucky to beat Lincoln.

thanks, 6th eh? can we make it legally binding?!

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:12 - Oct 18 with 800 viewsjayessess

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:10 - Oct 18 by Keaneish

That’s rich given a certain clique and their starry eyed wonderment of McCarthy!

At least there was some substance to build a cult of McCarthy around!

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:13 - Oct 18 with 795 viewsHerbivore

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:10 - Oct 18 by Keaneish

McCarthy over performed here relative to the resources he was given. Odd that he's the only one of our last few managers you've not gone full cultist over, it's almost like you relish under performance.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:13 - Oct 18 with 798 viewsBlueBadger

Mick actually saved us from relegation and got us into the top half of the table before we bought him a Christmas present now.

My thoughts at the time of his appointment were 'he might keep us up but it won't be pretty', followed by 'OK he's kept us up let's see what happens here' to 'blimey, this is a bit unexpected' and he got a bit more leeway as a result.

If only he'd thought to get us relegated, he'd still be here now.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 17:15]

Login to get fewer ads

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:14 - Oct 18 with 795 viewspositivity

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:12 - Oct 18 by jayessess

At least there was some substance to build a cult of McCarthy around!

saint michael and the order of proper blokes?

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:16 - Oct 18 with 789 viewsBlueBadger

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:14 - Oct 18 by positivity

saint michael and the order of proper blokes?

I understand that the Brotherhood of Saint Dougie was an offshoot of that.

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:18 - Oct 18 with 778 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:08 - Oct 18 by BlueBadger

Would it help if you read 'unconditional' as 'the level of' or similar?
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 17:10]

Yeah ok, thanks!

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:19 - Oct 18 with 782 viewspositivity

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:16 - Oct 18 by BlueBadger

I understand that the Brotherhood of Saint Dougie was an offshoot of that.

almost certainly a sideways 5-yard offshoot

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:21 - Oct 18 with 774 viewsjayessess

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:11 - Oct 18 by positivity

thanks, 6th eh? can we make it legally binding?!

not so healthy when you consider our kind run of fixtures mind

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:22 - Oct 18 with 771 viewssaffers12

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 14:28 - Oct 18 by homer_123

Not really - I don't mind being wrong.

I'd love him to succeed here. I, sadly, don't think he will but happy to be proved wrong.

My stance too
Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:24 - Oct 18 with 764 viewsKeaneish

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:13 - Oct 18 by BlueBadger

Mick actually saved us from relegation and got us into the top half of the table before we bought him a Christmas present now.

My thoughts at the time of his appointment were 'he might keep us up but it won't be pretty', followed by 'OK he's kept us up let's see what happens here' to 'blimey, this is a bit unexpected' and he got a bit more leeway as a result.

If only he'd thought to get us relegated, he'd still be here now.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 17:15]

If he’d stayed longer, he might well have achieved that but even if that didn’t materialise, we’d still have Evans.

The board called for patience as has Cook. Pompey fans said Cook was a, “slow burn”. Come on here every night and the level of acrimony is ridiculous given how much this place was bouncing 2-months ago.

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:26 - Oct 18 with 766 viewsBlueBadger

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:24 - Oct 18 by Keaneish

If he’d stayed longer, he might well have achieved that but even if that didn’t materialise, we’d still have Evans.

The board called for patience as has Cook. Pompey fans said Cook was a, “slow burn”. Come on here every night and the level of acrimony is ridiculous given how much this place was bouncing 2-months ago.

It' almost like the he's under-performed with a wholly different set of players after claiming that it was the players that let hm down last season after coming in and under-performing with a squad player son the cusp of the playoffs and people are disappointed and questioning his suitability for the job.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 17:41]

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:27 - Oct 18 with 757 viewspositivity

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:21 - Oct 18 by jayessess

not so healthy when you consider our kind run of fixtures mind

kind? we've played the teams in 2nd, 5th & 8th already...

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:34 - Oct 18 with 745 viewsHerbivore

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:27 - Oct 18 by positivity

kind? we've played the teams in 2nd, 5th & 8th already...

No we haven't. Wigan are 2nd and Rotherham are 5th. We've played the sides in 6th, 7th, and 8th. Given we've played just over half the teams in the league now you'd expect us to normally have faced three of the top 6, we've only faced one of them and it's the lowest ranked of them. Of our 12 games to date, 5 have been against sides currently in the top half and 7 of our games have been at home. It has, by any measure, been a pretty kind opening run of fixtures.

Edit - this is not hindsight either. Part of the preseason optimism came from us having a forgiving run of early fixtures to enable us to be in the mix whilst the new players bedded in. That's what makes it worrying that we're so far adrift at this point.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 17:36]

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:36 - Oct 18 with 742 viewspositivity

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:34 - Oct 18 by Herbivore

No we haven't. Wigan are 2nd and Rotherham are 5th. We've played the sides in 6th, 7th, and 8th. Given we've played just over half the teams in the league now you'd expect us to normally have faced three of the top 6, we've only faced one of them and it's the lowest ranked of them. Of our 12 games to date, 5 have been against sides currently in the top half and 7 of our games have been at home. It has, by any measure, been a pretty kind opening run of fixtures.

Edit - this is not hindsight either. Part of the preseason optimism came from us having a forgiving run of early fixtures to enable us to be in the mix whilst the new players bedded in. That's what makes it worrying that we're so far adrift at this point.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 17:36]

it was a joke; commenting on jayesseses xG table which has burton 2nd, mk 5th

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:38 - Oct 18 with 735 viewsHerbivore

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:36 - Oct 18 by positivity

it was a joke; commenting on jayesseses xG table which has burton 2nd, mk 5th

Oh right, sorry I only tend to pay attention to the actual table.

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:41 - Oct 18 with 730 viewspositivity

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:38 - Oct 18 by Herbivore

Oh right, sorry I only tend to pay attention to the actual table.

yeah, was a reply to his post.

now *all* we have to do is convert the xGs into real ones and we'll all be happy

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:46 - Oct 18 with 720 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:26 - Oct 18 by BlueBadger

It' almost like the he's under-performed with a wholly different set of players after claiming that it was the players that let hm down last season after coming in and under-performing with a squad player son the cusp of the playoffs and people are disappointed and questioning his suitability for the job.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 17:41]

Yes it was the players that let him down last season but it is obvious why you are defending them. They didn't turn up for THREE managers.
Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:50 - Oct 18 with 713 viewsHerbivore

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:46 - Oct 18 by Mach_foreignBlue

Yes it was the players that let him down last season but it is obvious why you are defending them. They didn't turn up for THREE managers.

Lolz.

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:59 - Oct 18 with 708 viewsjayessess

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:46 - Oct 18 by Mach_foreignBlue

I get bored of saying this but... the sign of a good manager is that you have a positive effect on footballers and football teams. Brilliant players, good ones, mediocre ones, flawed ones, ones that are self-motivators, one that need a kick up the backside, arrogant ones, self-doubting ones. Teams that are badly organised, teams that lack flair, teams that lack energy.

If you aren't improving a team, in fact if you're making a team worse, that reflects badly on at least some of your management skills. I don't know why that was all forgotten in the Summer. If it were just about recruitment and team selection you could drag any idiot off Football Manager to do it and pay them a fraction of what we're paying Paul Cook.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 18:05]

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 18:04 - Oct 18 with 698 viewsKeaneish

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:59 - Oct 18 by jayessess

I get bored of saying this but... the sign of a good manager is that you have a positive effect on footballers and football teams. Brilliant players, good ones, mediocre ones, flawed ones, ones that are self-motivators, one that need a kick up the backside, arrogant ones, self-doubting ones. Teams that are badly organised, teams that lack flair, teams that lack energy.

If you aren't improving a team, in fact if you're making a team worse, that reflects badly on at least some of your management skills. I don't know why that was all forgotten in the Summer. If it were just about recruitment and team selection you could drag any idiot off Football Manager to do it and pay them a fraction of what we're paying Paul Cook.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 18:05]

Way too simplistic for me I’m afraid. Cook made the right call to breathe life back into this club. The only thing that is missing is sustained results, which will come. People need to get hold of themselves and be patient.

I sometimes wonder what this forum would be like if folk had actually experienced playing a season at a decent standard. Such a long way to go and do little ground to make up, the conversation in the club will be starkly different compared to what’s on this forum that’s for sure!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024