Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stick with a secure job or take a risk on a company with potential? 12:49 - Dec 13 with 1954 viewsSimonds92

Any advice would be welcome as I'm having a very difficult time deciding. I have been given an offer to work for an upcoming company in telecommunications who look as though they are spending significantly on expansion next year. At the time of offer it was a pay increase but my current employer has now matched it and a little bit more. I very much like the people i work with but the job itself isn't particularly inspiring (in a completely different industry). I just have the fear of missing out on a company which could conceivably double in size over the next few years.
Stick with a secure job or take a risk on a company with potential? on 12:58 - Dec 13 with 1890 viewsDurovigutum

How secure are you financially? Do you have any dependents? Does your partner work? Is that salary enough to keep things going if this company goes pop owing you three months money? Do you have three/six months of running costs saved up in case of problems?

What do you want from your career? Do you have lots of other interests outside of work that distract you (football, horticulture, volunteering)? Do you have young children, or children imminent, or flown the nest, that consumer time?

How important is money in your life? Does your leisure time rely on funds or not? Do you have a retirement date in mind?
Stick with a secure job or take a risk on a company with potential? on 13:02 - Dec 13 with 1870 viewsBondiBlue

Sounds like you've been offered the Town job. Take it!

Poll: Which would you accept?

Stick with a secure job or take a risk on a company with potential? on 13:22 - Dec 13 with 1811 viewsSimonds92

Stick with a secure job or take a risk on a company with potential? on 12:58 - Dec 13 by Durovigutum

How secure are you financially? Do you have any dependents? Does your partner work? Is that salary enough to keep things going if this company goes pop owing you three months money? Do you have three/six months of running costs saved up in case of problems?

What do you want from your career? Do you have lots of other interests outside of work that distract you (football, horticulture, volunteering)? Do you have young children, or children imminent, or flown the nest, that consumer time?

How important is money in your life? Does your leisure time rely on funds or not? Do you have a retirement date in mind?

Just bought our first house, no kids, partner is employed and if i really had to i could probably last a couple of months, although I would likely get a short term job to fill the void in a worst case scenario. If they ever owed me more than a months salary that's too much of a red flag for me and I'd be looking to get out asap. I do have a friend that works there who is very positive about the director and the guys I have met during my interviews seems a very clever guy. They are however funded via large funding from aviva. Current company are all very nice and you do have a relationship with the directors rather than being just a number but it wont grow to anywhere near the level of the other company.
Stick with a secure job or take a risk on a company with potential? on 13:25 - Dec 13 with 1788 viewsbluelagos

Stick with a secure job or take a risk on a company with potential? on 13:22 - Dec 13 by Simonds92

Just bought our first house, no kids, partner is employed and if i really had to i could probably last a couple of months, although I would likely get a short term job to fill the void in a worst case scenario. If they ever owed me more than a months salary that's too much of a red flag for me and I'd be looking to get out asap. I do have a friend that works there who is very positive about the director and the guys I have met during my interviews seems a very clever guy. They are however funded via large funding from aviva. Current company are all very nice and you do have a relationship with the directors rather than being just a number but it wont grow to anywhere near the level of the other company.

Presume that's the company doing interweb thingy round my way. (I researched them when they first turned up offering services)

Been impressed with them and they do have good reports from previous customers.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Stick with a secure job or take a risk on a company with potential? on 13:27 - Dec 13 with 1779 viewsSaleAway

Stick with a secure job or take a risk on a company with potential? on 13:22 - Dec 13 by Simonds92

Is there actually any benefit to being part of a company that "grows significantly", are you being offered share options/equity? For info, I joined a start up 15 years ago, as employee number 27, which now has over 1000 employees on 3 continents.... but all this means to me is that there are now more people that I don't know. I preferred the day to day when we were smaller. However, I have had the opportunity to grow my own career with the company.

As usual you need to assess what you want out of your career, what are the risks/benefits of current and new roles. Leaving a job is always a hard decision, so make sure you're doing it for the right reasons ( those reasons will be unique to your circumstances).

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Stick with a secure job or take a risk on a company with potential? on 13:46 - Dec 13 with 1714 viewsDarth_Koont

Do it.

You’re at the point of where you would have rejected it if you didn’t actually want to do it. Research says that you’ll generally be happier by taking the opportunity and will regret not taking it.

Of course, that’s if it feels like a genuine 50-50 and you actually want the job.

Pronouns: He/Him

Stick with a secure job or take a risk on a company with potential? on 13:48 - Dec 13 with 1688 viewsBlueandTruesince82

You have to follow your heart and head on this one? What do you want from a career? Are you able to get it where you are? If not are you able to get it at the new place? It's it actually a step up? Have the old place counter offered in light of the news or just because? If the former could your card now be marked? If it a went tong how confident are you at finding something quickly? Do you like the family feel where you are? Is this last time you might be able to take a suck a risk (though it doesn't sound like a massive gamble, worth looking at HRMC to see how their accounts look?)

All things to consider but you must make what decisions is best for you and family
[Post edited 13 Dec 2021 14:49]

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Stick with a secure job or take a risk on a company with potential? on 13:50 - Dec 13 with 1682 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

I am in telecoms myself so would want to know what the scope is for training, which can be eye wateringly expensive (assuming you are techincal)
Login to get fewer ads

Stick with a secure job or take a risk on a company with potential? on 13:51 - Dec 13 with 1667 viewsDarth_Koont

Here you go. It’s a study by one of the Freakonomics authors.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/22/people-who-choose-change-more-satisfied-with-dec

Stick with a secure job or take a risk on a company with potential? on 14:21 - Dec 13 with 1597 viewseireblue

I have made a career out of changing companies every 3-4 years or so.

You can make bigger impact in a smaller company, and if you also get stock/share options/something else in line with company growth, then the results from the good ones can make up for the meh/bad ones. Bad examples resulted in “resting between jobs” within less than a year of starting. So some risk, but overall, wouldn’t change.
Stick with a secure job or take a risk on a company with potential? on 14:36 - Dec 13 with 1571 viewsDurovigutum

If you are liquid enough to cover those three months, which it sounds like you do (or have family that could help), then on balance of what you've written I'd make the move - I suspect you might regret it otherwise.

In 2015 I left a secure job, with average pay but great pension and good people (and kids aged 3 and 5 and a wife not working) to freelance. Nine months later I had cash flow issues having walked away from a hell hole, two years later and I'd tripled my salary and hit a level of security I'd not enjoyed previously.

I've been back in a "secure" job since early 2020 - timing was, er, fortuitous....
Stick with a secure job or take a risk on a company with potential? on 14:55 - Dec 13 with 1497 viewsX0Y0

Can't comment on the industry, but change is often good - meet new people, learn new things and get new experiences. It will often make you a better employee in the long run, even if one day you decide you actually miss your current job / employer and wish to return.
Stick with a secure job or take a risk on a company with potential? on 15:06 - Dec 13 with 1461 viewsKropotkin123

Most common thing when people are leaving. My questions to you are:
- Why did you decide to interview elsewhere in the first place? Is that going to get worse/stay the same if you stay?
- Why did it take an offer elsewhere for your company to offer you more money/correctly value your skill set? Seems like they are doing the bare minimum to keep you. Can they not shake things up and find non-monetary motivators too. Did they even bother to ask about this side of your career development? If not, throwing the minimum amount of money to keep you seems like a red flag.
- what are you potentially getting FOMO over? More growth = more money. Or is it genuinely the work challenge?

You know how secure your finances are, so I can't recommend on that.
You know the companies names, so I can't evaluate them.

But with those questions, and you evaluating those points, I believe the answer should be clearer to you.

Feel free to DM me, it is my area of work.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Stick with a secure job or take a risk on a company with potential? on 16:02 - Dec 13 with 1380 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

If money isn't really the issue then it's about being happy in your work. If you're happy and that means as much, if not more, about the people you work with as to the job itself, then it seems crazy to jump from a non-sinking ship.

Then again, I guess you wouldn't have gone for the interview if you were completely happy where you are?

Also, moving to a completely different industry seems like more of a risk on the face of it. I presume the skills are transferable though... and the fact that you're contemplating such a jump suggests to me you aren't happy in the current industry.

So actually, it sounds like you should go for it!

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Stick with a secure job or take a risk on a company with potential? on 18:13 - Dec 13 with 1277 viewsPinewoodblue

I assume the salary increase, from your current employer, came about when you mentioned you might be leaving.

Ask yourself if you need to be loyal to an employer who has, effectively, undervalued your services.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Stick with a secure job or take a risk on a company with potential? on 18:41 - Dec 13 with 1216 viewssolomon

Do it. Fortune favours the brave (I’m not talking of specific monetary gains) but you could end happier. As someone who spent a large portion of their career with one employer who basically rewarded my loyalty by overlooking me for every promotion I ever went for, I’d say it’s best to Rely on your own initiative and be bold.
Stick with a secure job or take a risk on a company with potential? on 18:44 - Dec 13 with 1202 viewsDanTheMan

Stick with a secure job or take a risk on a company with potential? on 13:27 - Dec 13 by SaleAway

Is there actually any benefit to being part of a company that "grows significantly", are you being offered share options/equity? For info, I joined a start up 15 years ago, as employee number 27, which now has over 1000 employees on 3 continents.... but all this means to me is that there are now more people that I don't know. I preferred the day to day when we were smaller. However, I have had the opportunity to grow my own career with the company.

As usual you need to assess what you want out of your career, what are the risks/benefits of current and new roles. Leaving a job is always a hard decision, so make sure you're doing it for the right reasons ( those reasons will be unique to your circumstances).

"However, I have had the opportunity to grow my own career with the company."

I think this can be key. There's been a few companies I've gone to where it's after the startup stage but the way they were growing meant that advancement was incredibly difficult.

This tends to be easier in a faster growing company where positions open up more readily.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Stick with a secure job or take a risk on a company with potential? on 19:49 - Dec 13 with 1133 viewsBluesky

Go for the new company. Never a better time before you have kids. You are already bored. It's a no brainer.
Stick with a secure job or take a risk on a company with potential? on 20:04 - Dec 13 with 1107 viewsRyorry

Sliding doors mo, hey? Particularly tricky atm - on the one hand would you have job security if this new, or future, covid variant caused another total lockdown?

On the other, and just from a general life point of view, no-one wants to end up age 65 looking back & regretting that they didn't do something.

If it's 50-50, allow your instincts house-room, we weren't given them for nothing! Best of luck.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Stick with a secure job or take a risk on a company with potential? on 20:10 - Dec 13 with 1096 viewshype313

Stick with a secure job or take a risk on a company with potential? on 20:04 - Dec 13 by Ryorry

Sliding doors mo, hey? Particularly tricky atm - on the one hand would you have job security if this new, or future, covid variant caused another total lockdown?

On the other, and just from a general life point of view, no-one wants to end up age 65 looking back & regretting that they didn't do something.

If it's 50-50, allow your instincts house-room, we weren't given them for nothing! Best of luck.

He should take the new role, have been DM'ing and the new company is one of my customers that I know well.

It would be a great career move.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Stick with a secure job or take a risk on a company with potential? on 20:32 - Dec 13 with 1058 viewsMeadowlark

Make the move. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
You have your whole working life ahead of you, so don't have regrets. You can only regret what you do not do.
You are young enough to change again if something isn't to your liking.
It is also likely that your current emloyer would take you back, but thats a safety net you dont really need by the sounds of it.
Its a great feeling when you move jobs on your own terms.
I recommend it.
Good luck.
Stick with a secure job or take a risk on a company with potential? on 20:40 - Dec 13 with 1042 viewsNthsuffolkblue

If you enjoy your current job and like the people you work with and the company has given you a raise to match what you would have been on there, I really don't get your dilemma. There is a degree to which the grass looks greener on the other side, but it sounds like your grass is pretty green where you are.

If you have no dependents and want to take a risk, I can see why the new start-up might be worth a punt but the chances are it won't be what you want it to be and you will soon be pining after what you currently have. How confident are you that you could still come back?

Oh, and if you are actually Tony Mowbray and this is about the Town job, forget all I said and go for it!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Stick with a secure job or take a risk on a company with potential? on 20:53 - Dec 13 with 1016 viewsDarth_Koont

Stick with a secure job or take a risk on a company with potential? on 20:40 - Dec 13 by Nthsuffolkblue

If you enjoy your current job and like the people you work with and the company has given you a raise to match what you would have been on there, I really don't get your dilemma. There is a degree to which the grass looks greener on the other side, but it sounds like your grass is pretty green where you are.

If you have no dependents and want to take a risk, I can see why the new start-up might be worth a punt but the chances are it won't be what you want it to be and you will soon be pining after what you currently have. How confident are you that you could still come back?

Oh, and if you are actually Tony Mowbray and this is about the Town job, forget all I said and go for it!

That doesn’t actually stack up though:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/22/people-who-choose-change-more-satisfied-with-dec

Change is basically good for people. So you need much more of a negative to not change than the potential that the grass isn’t always greener.

But yeah, Mogga, ignore the obvious negative. The grass is browner but it’ll be your grass.

Stick with a secure job or take a risk on a company with potential? on 21:23 - Dec 13 with 957 viewsSwansea_Blue

As long as it wouldn’t destitute you, follow your heart and think what you’d really like to do. If you don’t know what you’d really like to do there’s no problem trying something else (as what you’re currently doing doesn’t tick that box, or you’d know it).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024