Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. 13:41 - Jan 11 with 4110 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

I've been wondering this for ages, but the longer Labour go without doing this, the more I think it must be in service of a larger strategic goal. Even Angela Rayner didn't call for his resignation when asked fairly directly on TV.

I think Labour are already confident he will be gone before the next election and don't want to give his replacement time to repair the damage. Also, the longer the Conservatives let Johnson stay in post the more collateral damage is done to their reputation rather than just Johnson's.

Just my musings but I'd be interested to know what others think.

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 13:45 - Jan 11 with 2374 viewsGlasgowBlue

Plus there are photos of Kier Starmer drinking beer with more than the legal amount of people allowed indoors during lockdown doing the rounds.

Maybe they won’t make it a resignation matter in case it bites him in the bum.

Just let the papers go heard on Johnson.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 13:46 - Jan 11 with 2357 viewsSteve_M

More prosaically, the Tory majority in Parliament means that Johnson can only be forced out by the Tory members - either directly via the 1922 committee or if sufficient are prepared to back a No Confidence vote.

The tactic for Labour should be to ensure that the public perception of the Tory Party is that which it now has for Johnson - amoral, most interested in personal enrichment, not prepared to follow rules even ones it sets itself.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 13:48 - Jan 11 with 2335 viewsbluelagos

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 13:45 - Jan 11 by GlasgowBlue

Plus there are photos of Kier Starmer drinking beer with more than the legal amount of people allowed indoors during lockdown doing the rounds.

Ouch, that's not good for Labour.

My theory is that the longer this drags on, the more it damages the Tories / Government so why not just sit back and let it play out?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 13:49 - Jan 11 with 2330 viewsFixed_It

Possibly. But I hope they get a move on.
Johnson is a national embarrassment. If the whole Brexit fiasco wasn't a bad enough look on the global stage, we now have a bumbling, dishevelled buffoon as our political figure head. One with no integrity and dubious morals. We are a laughing stock, and it will take years to undo the damage to our international reputation, if indeed it is salvageable.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 13:49 - Jan 11 with 2313 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 13:46 - Jan 11 by Steve_M

More prosaically, the Tory majority in Parliament means that Johnson can only be forced out by the Tory members - either directly via the 1922 committee or if sufficient are prepared to back a No Confidence vote.

The tactic for Labour should be to ensure that the public perception of the Tory Party is that which it now has for Johnson - amoral, most interested in personal enrichment, not prepared to follow rules even ones it sets itself.

Agree. Practically speaking there is no way for Labour to force Johnson out.

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 13:50 - Jan 11 with 2285 viewslowhouseblue

no need to rush. the damage boris is incurring all by himself is huge. they shouldn't waste their bullets before the report comes out. the test will then be whether tory mps are prepared to defend him.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 13:51 - Jan 11 with 2267 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 13:45 - Jan 11 by GlasgowBlue

Yeah I've seen those, doesn't look great. I believe it was as we were emerging from the second lockdown and I'm not clear what rules were in place at the time. Think Labour are arguing he was having a beer during a break in work during a meeting.

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 13:52 - Jan 11 with 2259 viewsclive_baker

The issue is the next election is the best part of 2.5 years away isn't it? Sadly people seem to have very short memories when it comes to this stuff, I imagine there will be a huge amount of Tory voters who will only look at the prior 12 months maximum, and buy into the same tripe they're always served up. Johnson won't be their candidate and all of this will be on his shoulders, while Sunak will be stood there purporting to represent change, leading the country out of hardship and navigating our way to economic growth and stability blah blah. It's all too depressingly predictable. Shame there isn't an election sooner tbh.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 13:57 - Jan 11 with 2199 viewsGlasgowBlue

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 13:50 - Jan 11 by lowhouseblue

no need to rush. the damage boris is incurring all by himself is huge. they shouldn't waste their bullets before the report comes out. the test will then be whether tory mps are prepared to defend him.

He’s getting less support as the days go by. A dead man walking imo.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 13:58 - Jan 11 with 2203 viewsbluelagos

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 13:49 - Jan 11 by Fixed_It

Possibly. But I hope they get a move on.
Johnson is a national embarrassment. If the whole Brexit fiasco wasn't a bad enough look on the global stage, we now have a bumbling, dishevelled buffoon as our political figure head. One with no integrity and dubious morals. We are a laughing stock, and it will take years to undo the damage to our international reputation, if indeed it is salvageable.

The sooner you get rid, the better on one level. But what follows? You think Truss or Sunak would be more palatable? And I'd wager Labour would rather face a damaged limping Johnson than one of those two.

Suspect they are happy to see him damaged and the longer this draws out, the worse the Tories look to the electorate as they seek to defend the indefensible.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 13:58 - Jan 11 with 2202 viewsWeWereZombies

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 13:46 - Jan 11 by Steve_M

Plus, this is a terrible time to take over government - COVID-19 still playing out, economy under severe pressure, climate change strategy needing a concerted underpinning to be effective. There is a lot that a new administration would have to cope with and most of the necessary measures would make them unpopular even if they could force an early election. As others have said, the wiser strategy is to let the Conservatives keep digging their hole and then come to power saying 'yes, we have to take harsh steps but only because of the previous lot.'

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 13:58 - Jan 11 with 2204 viewstractordownsouth

It makes the opposition look weak and ineffectual if they call for a resignation they won't get. Ian Blackford tried it before Christmas and got a lot of praise on Twitter but it didn't actually change anything. Putting the ball in the court of Tory MPs if probably the best strategy at this point - a few shadow cabinet ministers have said "he's clearly unfit for office and Tory MPs know what they have to do", or words to that effect.

FWIW, I think he'll stay on for a while longer. The original plan was probably to blame him for the economic effects of Brexit and Covid then move onto a new leader but with the challenges of inflation and the NI hike on the horizon anybody wishing to go for the top job may want to hang on for a bit.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 14:06 - Jan 11 with 2098 viewsusm

Hes an asset to them isnt he.

Just like Corbyn and Rayner were/are assets to the Tories.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 14:13 - Jan 11 with 2045 viewshype313

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 13:52 - Jan 11 by clive_baker

The issue is the next election is the best part of 2.5 years away isn't it? Sadly people seem to have very short memories when it comes to this stuff, I imagine there will be a huge amount of Tory voters who will only look at the prior 12 months maximum, and buy into the same tripe they're always served up. Johnson won't be their candidate and all of this will be on his shoulders, while Sunak will be stood there purporting to represent change, leading the country out of hardship and navigating our way to economic growth and stability blah blah. It's all too depressingly predictable. Shame there isn't an election sooner tbh.

Problem Rishi has and to an extent Truss is that are part of the cabinet and closely linked to Johnson, he's toxic now and they might get swept along with him.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 14:18 - Jan 11 with 2016 viewsFtnfwest

I think you're right on this as i can only see that the long delay with all these leaks has been managed to be towards the perceived end of the pandemic (or at least the worst bits) - they even delayed the latest ones until it became clearer that omicron was not likely to be as severe as expected an it was a slow news day.
Rayner seemed to be well briefed on it and had a statement ready before the news broke, ITV even had a little old lady news story available in their bulletin minutes later.
Would have thought labour will wait a bit longer (couple of months) until the current covid wave dies down and then force a vote. More likely that than Boris getting a £60 on the spot fine anyway!
Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 14:45 - Jan 11 with 1886 viewstractordownsouth

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 14:18 - Jan 11 by Ftnfwest

I think you're right on this as i can only see that the long delay with all these leaks has been managed to be towards the perceived end of the pandemic (or at least the worst bits) - they even delayed the latest ones until it became clearer that omicron was not likely to be as severe as expected an it was a slow news day.
Rayner seemed to be well briefed on it and had a statement ready before the news broke, ITV even had a little old lady news story available in their bulletin minutes later.
Would have thought labour will wait a bit longer (couple of months) until the current covid wave dies down and then force a vote. More likely that than Boris getting a £60 on the spot fine anyway!

Labour forcing a VONC in parliament with such a huge majority would be counter-productive. The Tories wouldn't vote to trigger an early election in such an awful state and the end result would be a united party and Labour made to look silly. Corbyn tried a VONC in May's government when she had a lot of rebellious backbenchers and no majority but it still didn't work. The only vote regarding Johnson's suitability that would actually mean anything would be if there's a leadership challenge.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 14:49 - Jan 11 with 1860 viewsFtnfwest

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 14:45 - Jan 11 by tractordownsouth

Labour forcing a VONC in parliament with such a huge majority would be counter-productive. The Tories wouldn't vote to trigger an early election in such an awful state and the end result would be a united party and Labour made to look silly. Corbyn tried a VONC in May's government when she had a lot of rebellious backbenchers and no majority but it still didn't work. The only vote regarding Johnson's suitability that would actually mean anything would be if there's a leadership challenge.

Probably not, unless they've got more to drip feed!
Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 15:00 - Jan 11 with 1824 viewsChrisd

What’s more a worry for Labour is for all the Tory ‘faux pas’ they are still not able to convince the general public that they are a viable opposition. I’m not sure Starmer as Labour leader heading into the next general election has enough about him to entice the majority to vote for them, I simply don’t see him as PM material. The Tories have let themselves down so many times recently and Labour appear incapable of capitalising.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 15:06 - Jan 11 with 1777 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 15:00 - Jan 11 by Chrisd

What’s more a worry for Labour is for all the Tory ‘faux pas’ they are still not able to convince the general public that they are a viable opposition. I’m not sure Starmer as Labour leader heading into the next general election has enough about him to entice the majority to vote for them, I simply don’t see him as PM material. The Tories have let themselves down so many times recently and Labour appear incapable of capitalising.

Personally I see Starmer as highly credible, the challenge for me is that he's not yet laid out what he would do in power other than not be the Tories. However the conventional wisdom is that the opposition should first focus on securing the trust of the country and then pivot to specifics as an election approaches so as not to get pinned down if circumstances change. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 15:06 - Jan 11 with 1777 viewsDarth_Koont

I think you’re crediting the Labour leadership with far too much intelligence and strategy.

I suspect they realise that because Boris is still more popular than Starmer on a personal level that it would backfire.

Having completely different “principles” and calling for Sturgeon’s resignation did nothing for them North of the border for the same reason.

Pronouns: He/Him

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 15:14 - Jan 11 with 1743 viewsDarth_Koont

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 15:06 - Jan 11 by Charlie_pl_baxter

Personally I see Starmer as highly credible, the challenge for me is that he's not yet laid out what he would do in power other than not be the Tories. However the conventional wisdom is that the opposition should first focus on securing the trust of the country and then pivot to specifics as an election approaches so as not to get pinned down if circumstances change. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Unfortunately, to go along with Johnson as the most untrustworthy PM ever, Starmer is probably the least trustworthy opposition leader I’ve ever seen.

Pronouns: He/Him

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 15:15 - Jan 11 with 1738 viewsBlueBadger

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 14:13 - Jan 11 by hype313

Problem Rishi has and to an extent Truss is that are part of the cabinet and closely linked to Johnson, he's toxic now and they might get swept along with him.

And, a bit like Mike Pence and a lot of the second-tier Trumpers in the US republicans, none of them appear to have the 'ROFLBoriswhaddalegend' status that The Politics Answer To Paul Lambert has.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 15:22 - Jan 11 with 1684 viewsHARRY10

It is not in Labours interest to see Johnson replaced (a walking disaster) nor to call for his resignation when the Tories will not want to be seen to be doing their bidding. That just looks like failure.

Far better to question why the Tories are keeping in power, a serial liar and an habitual failure. something that is nor tainting the Tories with sleaze and incompetence.

The problem the Tories have is there is not going to be anyone with any competence, or sense (so that rules in Truss), who will want to take over given what is coming down the line.

The country has not seen 7% inflation since 30 years ago under Majors Tory government. The highest tax take in 60 years will not help, not will an economy burdened with costly Brexit regulation and tariffs.

It will come down to a battle for the party, as the moderates try to wrest control from the hands of the fruit loops and the swivel eyed currently in charge.

All governments will claim credit for when it is going well (sometimes with justification) - but whatever the Brexiteers might wish the UK is part of a global economy, and can't isolate itself from global problems sub prime mortgage (2008) being the perfect example. The rising cost of energy is set to wreak havoc pretty much everywhere.
Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 15:24 - Jan 11 with 1666 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Was about to post the same, almost all the noise is Johnson centric not party centric.
Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 15:26 - Jan 11 with 1640 viewsgiant_stow

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 15:14 - Jan 11 by Darth_Koont

Unfortunately, to go along with Johnson as the most untrustworthy PM ever, Starmer is probably the least trustworthy opposition leader I’ve ever seen.

Really? You should have said so before.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024