Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. 13:41 - Jan 11 with 4087 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

I've been wondering this for ages, but the longer Labour go without doing this, the more I think it must be in service of a larger strategic goal. Even Angela Rayner didn't call for his resignation when asked fairly directly on TV.

I think Labour are already confident he will be gone before the next election and don't want to give his replacement time to repair the damage. Also, the longer the Conservatives let Johnson stay in post the more collateral damage is done to their reputation rather than just Johnson's.

Just my musings but I'd be interested to know what others think.

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 15:27 - Jan 11 with 1085 viewsDarth_Koont

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 15:26 - Jan 11 by giant_stow

Really? You should have said so before.

And you should have responded.

Pronouns: He/Him

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 15:32 - Jan 11 with 1069 viewslowhouseblue

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 15:27 - Jan 11 by Darth_Koont

And you should have responded.

i think he probably did the first 100 times.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 15:36 - Jan 11 with 1052 viewsgiant_stow

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 15:32 - Jan 11 by lowhouseblue

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 15:48 - Jan 11 with 1021 viewsDarth_Koont

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 15:32 - Jan 11 by lowhouseblue

Pronouns: He/Him

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 16:08 - Jan 11 with 968 viewsHARRY10

"As many as 100 people were invited to a "bring-your-own-booze" drinks event in the Downing Street garden during the first lockdown, it is understood."

"On the same day, Oliver Dowden, the culture secretary, had reminded the public at a press conference: “You can meet one person outside of your household in an outdoor, public place provided that you stay 2 metres apart."

Mr Johnson has denied any knowledge of the party, by claiming he was hiding in a fridge at the time - a claim, he is certain voters will believe.
Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 17:07 - Jan 11 with 919 viewschicoazul

I seriously believe you should all stop talking about this. Grow up and shut up or go out and take action. This is all a smokescreen to let you think you can do anything about the elites in this country, the useless opposition aren’t helping either. The police are corrupt the government are corrupt institutions are corrupt and it’s been that way in this country since Cromwell failed. Get used to it. Nothing at all will happen while our current system protects itself above all costs.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 17:18 - Jan 11 with 885 viewsBlueBadger

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 17:07 - Jan 11 by chicoazul

I seriously believe you should all stop talking about this. Grow up and shut up or go out and take action. This is all a smokescreen to let you think you can do anything about the elites in this country, the useless opposition aren’t helping either. The police are corrupt the government are corrupt institutions are corrupt and it’s been that way in this country since Cromwell failed. Get used to it. Nothing at all will happen while our current system protects itself above all costs.

Who said that first? Ed Gein or Peter Sutcliffe?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 17:19 - Jan 11 with 891 viewsHARRY10

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 17:07 - Jan 11 by chicoazul

"I seriously believe you should all stop talking about this"

apart from you, it would appear
Login to get fewer ads

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 17:22 - Jan 11 with 886 viewsEwan_Oozami

Dusting off my AK-47 as we speak....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 17:30 - Jan 11 with 879 viewsHerbivore

What a bizarre attitude.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 18:28 - Jan 11 with 835 viewsfactual_blue

He's Labour's biggest electoral asset.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 18:54 - Jan 11 with 819 viewsPlums

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 15:00 - Jan 11 by Chrisd

What’s more a worry for Labour is for all the Tory ‘faux pas’ they are still not able to convince the general public that they are a viable opposition. I’m not sure Starmer as Labour leader heading into the next general election has enough about him to entice the majority to vote for them, I simply don’t see him as PM material. The Tories have let themselves down so many times recently and Labour appear incapable of capitalising.

They don’t need to. Starmer’s a skilled barrister, he can see that Johnson and his crew are perfectly capable of digging their own grave without him getting his hands dirty. He’s biding his time, taking the high ground without moralising or doing anything to provoke a negative (as opposed to inert) reaction and will take them apart when the time comes.
I’m not a Labour supporter by any stretch but he’s playing his hand very well.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 19:29 - Jan 11 with 778 viewsSwansea_Blue

This talk of playing the long game doesn’t wash with me. First of all we don’t know if that’s the case. Secondly, even if it is the case there’s no guarantee it will be successful as everything could be different come the next election. Thirdly, it implicitly pardons (or at least gives the impression of being happy to look the other way) all of their disgraceful behaviour. From the chumocricy, the negligent waste of public money, the scandals, repeated breaches of laws and the regular misleading of parliament.

Rather than play a long game geared solely around winning political capital, I’d rather see values and laws upheld. Not that long ago much of what’s gone on would have ended in resignations. And there’s a seemingly strong case for at least one criminal investigation. The a Opposition should be all over them now.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 20:35 - Jan 11 with 738 viewsfooters

I'll save this for the next time you're cosplaying as Hitchens and pontificating on major issues like a kissless virgin playing with a bra strap.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 20:38 - Jan 11 with 730 viewsDyland

lol

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 20:49 - Jan 11 with 704 viewsPlums

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 19:29 - Jan 11 by Swansea_Blue

This talk of playing the long game doesn’t wash with me. First of all we don’t know if that’s the case. Secondly, even if it is the case there’s no guarantee it will be successful as everything could be different come the next election. Thirdly, it implicitly pardons (or at least gives the impression of being happy to look the other way) all of their disgraceful behaviour. From the chumocricy, the negligent waste of public money, the scandals, repeated breaches of laws and the regular misleading of parliament.

Rather than play a long game geared solely around winning political capital, I’d rather see values and laws upheld. Not that long ago much of what’s gone on would have ended in resignations. And there’s a seemingly strong case for at least one criminal investigation. The a Opposition should be all over them now.

I don’t disagree with any of that, Standards in public life have never been lower in the modern era and it’s criminal what the Conservative party are responsible for in terms of destruction of this country and its reputation.
However, if opposition parties are able to point the finger at the end of this parliament and say ‘this must never happen again’ and it drives electoral reform and removal of the sh1tshow of a system that has enabled Johnson et al to act with impunity then I’m happy to go down that route. As you say, we don’t know what the long game is but I sincerely hope there is one.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 20:54 - Jan 11 with 700 viewsHARRY10

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 19:29 - Jan 11 by Swansea_Blue

eh ?

I am not sure what you think the opposition should be doing, that they are not doing

No what this long game is either
Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 12:40 - Jan 12 with 585 viewstractordownsouth

KS called for the resignation today. I'm surprised at this, I still think the Tories will wait until at least April to ditch Johnson, either after the tax increases come in or the local election results, which will presumably be bad for them.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 12:44 - Jan 12 with 552 viewsStokieBlue

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 12:40 - Jan 12 by tractordownsouth

KS called for the resignation today. I'm surprised at this, I still think the Tories will wait until at least April to ditch Johnson, either after the tax increases come in or the local election results, which will presumably be bad for them.

I don't see how they can.

The public are going to get more and more upset with him being there another 3 months, it'll do more damage to the Tories than changing him now and the new person having to deal with those issues.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 12:53 - Jan 12 with 525 viewsGlasgowBlue

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 12:40 - Jan 12 by tractordownsouth

I think Starmer has been bounced into calling or Johnson to resign in the same way Jezza was in backing an election.

Neither scenario suited either Labour leader.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 12:56 - Jan 12 with 514 viewstractordownsouth

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 12:44 - Jan 12 by StokieBlue

I don't see how they can.

The public are going to get more and more upset with him being there another 3 months, it'll do more damage to the Tories than changing him now and the new person having to deal with those issues.

SB

Whatever happens, I think the most interesting aspect of this is the 2019 'Red Wall' intake. The only MPs so far to have taken a stance either way so far seem to be ones with big majorities who have been there for a while (Michael Fabricant for the defence and Nigel Mills for the prosecution) whereas the 2019ers are the ones with the smallest majorities so will be the most worried about potentially losing their seats. But then there's the added caveat that most of them owe Johnson their seats so possibly feel more loyalty to him than most.

No doubt Sunak and Truss are drumming up support among their parliamentary colleagues already though.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 12:58 - Jan 12 with 505 viewsGlasgowBlue

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 12:56 - Jan 12 by tractordownsouth

Whatever happens, I think the most interesting aspect of this is the 2019 'Red Wall' intake. The only MPs so far to have taken a stance either way so far seem to be ones with big majorities who have been there for a while (Michael Fabricant for the defence and Nigel Mills for the prosecution) whereas the 2019ers are the ones with the smallest majorities so will be the most worried about potentially losing their seats. But then there's the added caveat that most of them owe Johnson their seats so possibly feel more loyalty to him than most.

No doubt Sunak and Truss are drumming up support among their parliamentary colleagues already though.

Buy shares in Nadhim Zahawi. He's my dark horse.

Iron Lion Zion

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 13:00 - Jan 12 with 499 viewsitfcjoe

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 12:53 - Jan 12 by GlasgowBlue

I think Starmer has been bounced into calling or Johnson to resign in the same way Jezza was in backing an election.

Neither scenario suited either Labour leader.

I guess the difference in this one is if BoJo resigns it will not be ebcause it has beenc alled for - and Starmer can make that request fully in the knowledge it plays out well and means nothing

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 13:01 - Jan 12 with 491 viewsGlasgowBlue

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 13:00 - Jan 12 by itfcjoe

I guess the difference in this one is if BoJo resigns it will not be ebcause it has beenc alled for - and Starmer can make that request fully in the knowledge it plays out well and means nothing

Johnson's future is now in Sue Grey's hands. He's put all of his eggs in her basket.

Iron Lion Zion

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 13:04 - Jan 12 with 481 viewsStokieBlue

Some musings on why Labour haven't called for Johnson's resignation. on 13:01 - Jan 12 by GlasgowBlue

Johnson's future is now in Sue Grey's hands. He's put all of his eggs in her basket.

It shouldn't matter.

Sometimes things shouldn't just be about politics and what is best for Labour or the Tories at this moment in time.

He's a fooking disgrace. He is devaluing the office and making the UK look like a political basketcase.

He has to go now, let's put the politics aside for once and make sure the right thing is done.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024