Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Private education. 13:05 - Mar 16 with 5292 viewsMattinLondon

My six year old seems to be fairly clever and is always asking questions but at school he is struggling. He seems to withdraw into his shell a lot - he seems to lack confidence and gets lost in a class of thirty.

Has anyone taken their child out of state school and into private education? If so, did you anyone notice any changes in their child’s development etc.

I went to a state school as did my other half. We both have a sort of chip on our shoulders regarding private schooling but if it’ll help then we’ll go down that route. My boy could also be a tad thick but we'll figure that one out later.

Thanks.
Private education. on 14:19 - Mar 16 with 1390 viewsmutters

Private education. on 14:04 - Mar 16 by hype313

Thomas Mills just got the worst OFSTED report, haven't had one since 2006 when it was outstanding and has been dining out on it ever since.

My sister who is a teacher and others in the area all know how badly it has fallen over the years, hopefully this latest report will get them to up tier game again.

Oh wow, I did not know that!! My sister has always been very positive about TM and thought the school was excellent.

Just had a look and though the Education is still rated at Good the other areas have fallen well behind. Amazing that they haven't had an inspection for 16 years after the Outstanding one.

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Private education. on 14:38 - Mar 16 with 1370 viewsitfcjoe

Just have to try and work out what is right for everyone - but private school a huge investment.

I went to state school for primary, and private for senior and really liked that balance - and that is what I hope to do with my children, bar a lottery win which would see me move them across when i could afford to at Primary.

I think private schools have a bad name amongst some, and that they think everyone who goes there is a toff and been to the equivalent of Eton which isn't the case for 90% of private schools - obviously there are the very top private schools but that is a total different ball game

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Private education. on 14:39 - Mar 16 with 1348 viewsjaykay

Private education. on 13:09 - Mar 16 by footers

All education now seems more about getting kids to jump through hoops to pass exams than anything else, but more so at private schools because of the financial incentive.

Just my two cents but your lad would learn more important life lessons at a state school. Maybe look at tutoring in certain areas he's interested in instead?

missed you home coming parade footers. welcome back

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Private education. on 14:47 - Mar 16 with 1334 viewsFather_Jack

Private education. on 13:35 - Mar 16 by Keno

I think its fair to say that, with the exception of classes taught by Mulley, the quality of education in the UK has dipped dramatically in last the year or so

No one seems to know why
[Post edited 16 Mar 2022 13:40]

Well I'm sure lockdown has got absolutely nothing to do with it.

Less is more.

Private education. on 14:48 - Mar 16 with 1334 viewsfactual_blue

Private education. on 13:35 - Mar 16 by Keno

I think its fair to say that, with the exception of classes taught by Mulley, the quality of education in the UK has dipped dramatically in last the year or so

No one seems to know why
[Post edited 16 Mar 2022 13:40]

Do you mean the late Jack Mulley, coach firm owner of Ixworth?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Private education. on 16:20 - Mar 16 with 1292 viewsN2_Blue

I don't agree with a lot of the negative views made about private education here. Of course it depends on schools but large classes are never good. Do other kids struggle at this school? What do other parents say, its worth finding out

I went to state school here from age of 8-10 after living overseas. I was in a class of 30. My reading and writing dropped through the floor in terms of standard and my parents were genuinely shocked at how quickly it happened. They asked me how much direct interaction i got with a teacher, i said basically none.

I soon got pulled out and sent to private school and quickly got back to the levels iI should have been at and did ok at school, just average. I'm not particularly academic but it saw me get 3 good a=levels and go to uni.

The difference - at state school i could do what I liked, no one pushed me. I can be lazy and not especially driven at things that don't interest me even if they are important. Also i was shy and quiet and teachers often ignored me. Its the loud or disruptive kids that get noticed. If you're quite they just assume you are getting on and don't need help even though inside you may be craving help,

Had i not had teachers pushing me and asking if i needed help I would have flunked school badly probably. I am incredibly thankful to have been able to go to private school and the teachers i had. Some weren't great and some were very good but all pushed me to work and at least do what was expected.

You can either afford it or you can't. If you can i'd seriously consider private education unless you can get your child into a very good state school and can get regular feedback on your child from the teachers.

If you can't there is no shame in that but I would really want to find out more about the teachers, method of teaching and how much 'teaching' your child actually gets especially before it's too late and they get behind.

PS to Ulla, I was actually in a single parent family and on a bursary for much of my private school education and i was never bullied for being poor or my upbringing. I was bulled more at state school than i ever was in private education.
[Post edited 16 Mar 2022 16:26]

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Private education. on 16:37 - Mar 16 with 1275 viewsgiant_stow

Private education. on 16:20 - Mar 16 by N2_Blue

I don't agree with a lot of the negative views made about private education here. Of course it depends on schools but large classes are never good. Do other kids struggle at this school? What do other parents say, its worth finding out

I went to state school here from age of 8-10 after living overseas. I was in a class of 30. My reading and writing dropped through the floor in terms of standard and my parents were genuinely shocked at how quickly it happened. They asked me how much direct interaction i got with a teacher, i said basically none.

I soon got pulled out and sent to private school and quickly got back to the levels iI should have been at and did ok at school, just average. I'm not particularly academic but it saw me get 3 good a=levels and go to uni.

The difference - at state school i could do what I liked, no one pushed me. I can be lazy and not especially driven at things that don't interest me even if they are important. Also i was shy and quiet and teachers often ignored me. Its the loud or disruptive kids that get noticed. If you're quite they just assume you are getting on and don't need help even though inside you may be craving help,

Had i not had teachers pushing me and asking if i needed help I would have flunked school badly probably. I am incredibly thankful to have been able to go to private school and the teachers i had. Some weren't great and some were very good but all pushed me to work and at least do what was expected.

You can either afford it or you can't. If you can i'd seriously consider private education unless you can get your child into a very good state school and can get regular feedback on your child from the teachers.

If you can't there is no shame in that but I would really want to find out more about the teachers, method of teaching and how much 'teaching' your child actually gets especially before it's too late and they get behind.

PS to Ulla, I was actually in a single parent family and on a bursary for much of my private school education and i was never bullied for being poor or my upbringing. I was bulled more at state school than i ever was in private education.
[Post edited 16 Mar 2022 16:26]

Hi mr, no offense intended and I'm sure lots of private schools are great for lots of kids, or people wouldn't pay for it.

My Bro's story was just a note of caution, both about his experience of a private school and the danger of moving a kid part-way through.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Private education. on 16:43 - Mar 16 with 1261 viewsdickie

The trouble I have is I feel the fact that private schools exist is wrong. Everybody should be entitled to a top notch education irrespective of wealth
Login to get fewer ads

Private education. on 16:49 - Mar 16 with 1254 viewsParsley

Would your child benefit from spending a lot of money on education? Yeah most likely.

Personally, I'd be happy if private schools didn't exist.
Private education. on 16:53 - Mar 16 with 1241 viewsN2_Blue

Private education. on 16:43 - Mar 16 by dickie

The trouble I have is I feel the fact that private schools exist is wrong. Everybody should be entitled to a top notch education irrespective of wealth

I don't argue with that at all....but it's not the case is it, and with schools often being a postcode lottery what choice is there sometimes.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Private education. on 16:56 - Mar 16 with 1241 viewswkj

It is important to remember that state schools are a totally different beast vs when we were in school, so chips on one's shoulders may be invalid. School environments aren't for everyone.

For context, I got all B's in high school (more or less), totally failed at further education as the environment didn't suit me at all. Fast forward 15-20 years I am currently schooling with The Open University and have consistently scored distinctions across year 1 and 2 modules.

The self-directed learning approach was all it took. Part of this was also due to the fact that I was enduring sensory overload as a consequence of autism, but we didn't know that at the time and it was only recently diagnosed.

It may be worth having a conversation with your lad and asking his views on what the school environment is like as well as sharing some stories about your own experiences that might loosen him up for information.

Also, your boy isn't a tad thick - integration struggles can often raise this concern, but it is outdated and fundamentally untrue. The challenge is finding out what engages him and what subjects he likes and hates. I will use myself as the example here again. I love mathematics and can do complex mathematics relatively comfortably but I am dogs*it awful at mental arithmetic. As a result, my primary school often stated I was bad at mathematics - yet here we are proving that totally wrong.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Private education. on 16:58 - Mar 16 with 1239 viewsRadioOrwell

My kids are in a very good state school. The general vibe amongst parents is to get plenty of extra paid for lessons in any subject you want - given that the school is already good.
Results are excellent. And it's a whole lot cheaper than private.

I had a private but terrible education. Utter waste of money but that's just my experience.
Private Ed can be better or worse. It's expensive either way.
I don't have any advice if you are in a bad state school. Paying for extras is a must.
Private education. on 17:01 - Mar 16 with 1227 viewsclive_baker

Private education. on 13:25 - Mar 16 by giant_stow

Just my little bit, but I'd look to work with the school your kid is at on this before going down the moving schools route.

Just a little warning: My mum and dad were in a very similar boat when my bro was at primary school (felt he was bright and under-achieving) so sent him to a private school in his penultimate year of primary, It was a complete disaster: he hated it, was bullied for being poorer and less well spoken and eventually started destroying things at home as a cry for help. Mum and dad went crawling back to his old school and thankfully the head there diidn't let pride get the way and took him back - he was immediately happier again.

Obviously thats just one story, but tread carefully.

Ahh, the classic appearing to be bright realtive to his sibling, it's an all too common mistake. I jest of course.

In answer to the OP I don't think there's a one size fits all approach, a lot can depend on the quality of the local provision as well as the specific needs of the child in question. I would agree with those that have mentioned the attitude of the child, a disengaged child will likely struggle at any school, and equally even the worst performing schools have their straight A students. Having been on both sides of the fence myself, educated in the local state school for primary and then moving into private education from year 5, I can certainly see the merits of private education, and I absolutely loved my school days. Not just in the classroom, but the opportunities outside it in terms of sport and extra curricular, school trips, facilities, and opportunities. When I first joined the school, I did so with a friend of mine who had been at the same primary school, among a class of largely privately educated pupils from day 1. We were the only 2 in the class that needed additional maths lessons after school to catch up. He caught up and some, and went on to study maths at Oxford, while I studied economics in Durham. I think that says more about our primary school specifically than state provision generally, but it was very obvious even to me as a child that these kids around me knew far more than we did. At University many of my friends went to state schools, and many private, probably a 50/50 split but we all got to the same place, and half of their parents didn't fork out 6 figures for the priviledge. It's difficult though, because nobody would ever know the alternative and how that would've panned out.

What I would say is I do believe children learn as much if not more at home to instigate those interests and thirst for learning, and that isn't school dependant.

GL with whatever you decide Matt.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Private education. on 17:07 - Mar 16 with 1214 viewsgiant_stow

Private education. on 17:01 - Mar 16 by clive_baker

Ahh, the classic appearing to be bright realtive to his sibling, it's an all too common mistake. I jest of course.

In answer to the OP I don't think there's a one size fits all approach, a lot can depend on the quality of the local provision as well as the specific needs of the child in question. I would agree with those that have mentioned the attitude of the child, a disengaged child will likely struggle at any school, and equally even the worst performing schools have their straight A students. Having been on both sides of the fence myself, educated in the local state school for primary and then moving into private education from year 5, I can certainly see the merits of private education, and I absolutely loved my school days. Not just in the classroom, but the opportunities outside it in terms of sport and extra curricular, school trips, facilities, and opportunities. When I first joined the school, I did so with a friend of mine who had been at the same primary school, among a class of largely privately educated pupils from day 1. We were the only 2 in the class that needed additional maths lessons after school to catch up. He caught up and some, and went on to study maths at Oxford, while I studied economics in Durham. I think that says more about our primary school specifically than state provision generally, but it was very obvious even to me as a child that these kids around me knew far more than we did. At University many of my friends went to state schools, and many private, probably a 50/50 split but we all got to the same place, and half of their parents didn't fork out 6 figures for the priviledge. It's difficult though, because nobody would ever know the alternative and how that would've panned out.

What I would say is I do believe children learn as much if not more at home to instigate those interests and thirst for learning, and that isn't school dependant.

GL with whatever you decide Matt.

Didn't you brute me up earlier too, you big meany?!

Anyway, wise words.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Private education. on 17:14 - Mar 16 with 1207 viewsclive_baker

Private education. on 17:07 - Mar 16 by giant_stow

Didn't you brute me up earlier too, you big meany?!

Anyway, wise words.

Sorry Ullaa, it's only because I care :)

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Private education. on 17:18 - Mar 16 with 1190 viewsKeno

Private education. on 14:47 - Mar 16 by Father_Jack

Well I'm sure lockdown has got absolutely nothing to do with it.

or a certain posters retirement from teaching?

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Private education. on 17:30 - Mar 16 with 1170 viewsfactual_blue

Private education. on 13:43 - Mar 16 by Keno

sos, got distracted cos my bank actually answered the phone after I'd been on hold 35 minutes.

Apparently I am not me, but someone pretending to me, which is why they won't do want I asked. I now have to put my request in writing in a letter which because its signed by me with my signature will be ok.

The irony being the instruction given to them is already in writing in a letter which because its signed by me with my signature with the thing they are querying being ........ wait for it ........... bet you cant guess .......... my signature
[Post edited 16 Mar 2022 13:45]

The best way to forge a signature, apparently, is to turn the signature upside down and copy what you see. Obviously this doesn't work if you're trying to forge a signature in the presence of the person you want to deceive.

Laggers won't be surprised that an officer of West Midlands Finest revealed this trick to me more years ago than I care to remember.

(Probably

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Private education. on 17:42 - Mar 16 with 1157 viewsCrawfordsboot

This is a tough one for young parents going through the system for the first time, not knowing what questions to ask of schools admission staff. In addition there is so much prejudice out there for or against private or state.
The key is to try to work out what is right for the child. For example a competitive child of average intelligence I would advise against a school that pushes children academically. Such a child might feel a failure if he or she ends up as a lower achieving member of the peer group. Much better that the child does well in the peer group. He/she will be motivated by success, rather than demotivated by comparative failure in a hothouse system.

There are good and bad state schools, just as there are good and bad independent schools. Again focus on the child’s character, motivation and ability and try to match the child to an appropriate school.

If you go independent keep in mind it’s a long journey and if you can’t sustain the cost it might be counterproductive to switch schools at a later date. On the other hand many independent schools have bursary funding for strong all round students.
Private education. on 18:02 - Mar 16 with 1119 viewschicoazul

Private education. on 14:08 - Mar 16 by ElderGrizzly

Simply, if you can afford to do it, you won't regret it.

Mrs G went to Brighton College which is one of the top Private Schools in the country and her parents both taught there too. They have said having experienced both state and private they wouldn't go back to state.

There are good state schools of course, but it is a postcode lottery for most.

We are toying with the idea of sending Grizz Jr to Kings Ely once she is out of nursery as the local primaries are all a bit meh.

Spoken like a true Lib Dem.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Private education. on 18:16 - Mar 16 with 1096 viewsMattinLondon

Thank you to all those constructive replies - really kind of you all.

Think we’ll visit the private school and see what we think of the school, facilities and teachers- then take the little lad and ascertain his thoughts. Won’t rush head first into the decision but won’t delay the decision as well.

Once again, thanks.
Private education. on 18:21 - Mar 16 with 1075 viewsfooters

Private education. on 18:16 - Mar 16 by MattinLondon

Think we’ll visit the private school and see what we think of the school, facilities and teachers- then take the little lad and ascertain his thoughts. Won’t rush head first into the decision but won’t delay the decision as well.

Once again, thanks.

Just another thought to throw in the pot, but are there any Montessori schools near you? They can be a great option for alternative primary learning from what I've seen.

Although if they progress to Montessori secondaries they may become dope-smoking, mushroom-munching hippy drop-outs. So beware.

But fun and educational for the younger saucepan lids.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Private education. on 18:26 - Mar 16 with 1071 viewsbluenorth

Private education. on 18:16 - Mar 16 by MattinLondon

Once again, thanks.

I went to a comp, taught in one for 10 years and now taught in a private school for 10 years.

Obviously all schools are different and it very much depends on what the options are, but would agree with some comments made - from my experience private schools do push the kids a bit more, but that's not always helpful as the kids/parents often assume they are better than they actually are. Also they are propped up so much that I would question their genuine independence/resilience - whereas kids who have had a bit less support have tended to have to figure out things for themselves a bit more (flip side is without this support some will not achieve their 'best' in terms of results etc). I don't intend sending my daughter to where I work even with the big discount I get.
Private education. on 19:35 - Mar 16 with 1024 viewsMullet

Full disclosure: As a "lefty" but not "left enough" for some, I am fully against private schools and would only tolerate them if they had their tax loopholes closed and were ran as a business.

Regardless, schools are suffering a massive double-whammy of Tory incompetence for years and Covid. It's my guesstimate there will be effects for at least 10 years given the amount of kids that missed 2 years of proper education.

The behavioural and social impacts nationally are massive. I was meeting today and discussing this with senior bods and even in leafy primary schools you're getting incidents of extreme behaviour.

It might be worth exploring what has been going on at his current school and how he and his peers have adjusted to going back this year. I'll be honest, this year has been the toughest I've ever known albeit in a rough inner city estate school.

Your boy has had his whole start and foundation to education disrupted and this might be the root of the problems. By all means it's your money and your kid, so if private school works for you go for it, but I'd also consider requesting a meeting with the school to see if they haven't been able to communicate something to you which is what you need.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Private education. on 20:43 - Mar 16 with 976 viewsCrawfordsboot

Private education. on 19:35 - Mar 16 by Mullet

Full disclosure: As a "lefty" but not "left enough" for some, I am fully against private schools and would only tolerate them if they had their tax loopholes closed and were ran as a business.

Regardless, schools are suffering a massive double-whammy of Tory incompetence for years and Covid. It's my guesstimate there will be effects for at least 10 years given the amount of kids that missed 2 years of proper education.

The behavioural and social impacts nationally are massive. I was meeting today and discussing this with senior bods and even in leafy primary schools you're getting incidents of extreme behaviour.

It might be worth exploring what has been going on at his current school and how he and his peers have adjusted to going back this year. I'll be honest, this year has been the toughest I've ever known albeit in a rough inner city estate school.

Your boy has had his whole start and foundation to education disrupted and this might be the root of the problems. By all means it's your money and your kid, so if private school works for you go for it, but I'd also consider requesting a meeting with the school to see if they haven't been able to communicate something to you which is what you need.

The noise around private schools charitable status and tax loopholes Is I think much misunderstood.

A good number of private schools are incorporated bodies not charities. They operate like any other company. Their owners and directors are paid as they would be in any company with the owners and the company paying tax.

Schools that operate on a not for profit basis are quite different. Invariably they will enjoy charitable status. This means that the board of Goverors can not be paid. They serve as volunteers. They operate on a not for profit basis and therefore tax on profits is not really an issue. They operate budgeting to generate sufficient funds to reinvest in the school and facilities. They pay staff salaries but there are no dividends and no directors fees. All funds are applied to deliver education.

Schools with charitable status do benefit from rates relief but on the other hand they are unable to recover VAT on their costs. Also of course every UK child being educated in the private sector is likely to have higher rate tax paying parents contributing to fund state education that they do not use.

In my view one might reasonably argue that private schools are socially divisive and result in many influential people in power having no vested interest in improving the state offer. This is a serious issue. On the other hand I believe the charitable status argument to be something of a red herring, albeit that it provides the press with easy headlines.
Private education. on 20:48 - Mar 16 with 956 viewsNthsuffolkblue

As someone privately educated but taught solely in state schools, I can say there are good and bad in both sectors. Just because you are paying for it, it does not make it necessarily a better education at all (although potentially for the right people it will give you the right contacts).

The most important thing I find is support from home. This is the main reason why there is such a gap in educational achievement between those who are able to give that support at home and those who are unable to. In some cases the private sector can be that home support where parents are too stretched to be able to give the time.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024