Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
GONE 21:05 - Jun 29 with 6175 viewsSitfcB

I hate long threads anyway, I have to change to table mode ffs.

Thoughts with Fixed_It

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

GONE on 23:05 - Jun 29 with 1331 viewsLord_Lucan

GONE on 23:04 - Jun 29 by Lord_Lucan

Phil is constructing a file of historical deleted posts to publish in the style of Robin Cooper's Timewaster letters.

And a cracking read it is too.

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/215751.The_Timewaster_Letters

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

GONE on 23:15 - Jun 29 with 1282 viewsFixed_It

WHAT?! Noooooooo...!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

GONE on 23:16 - Jun 29 with 1267 viewsFrimleyBlue

GONE on 23:15 - Jun 29 by Fixed_It

WHAT?! Noooooooo...!

My condolences to you. It will never be forgotten.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

GONE on 23:26 - Jun 29 with 1262 viewsFixed_It

GONE on 21:16 - Jun 29 by PhilTWTD

Want the site to be welcoming to all users and not sure the latter bit of the thread reflected that.

Yeah - but what about MY feelings?!

Ready! Steady! Cook!

GONE on 01:01 - Jun 30 with 1178 viewsSwansea_Blue

Ah, the trans one has gone has it? That's why I don't invest too much thinking into this place. It's a great diversion with similarly minded people (and a few weirdo Tory voters), but you never know when threads will get pulled and you've ended up wasting your time. Locking them would be fairer to all involved imo, but it's not my decision (thankfully).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

GONE on 02:23 - Jun 30 with 1145 viewsKropotkin123

I didn't see beyond about page 10, when an article was linked about a cis woman being raped. I read it and it made me sad that the trans woman was likely there as a victim of rape too, but was being presented as a threat.

I empathize with this cis woman, as rape would cause you to have an irrational fear of all cis men, and evidently trans woman.

Sad situation for all involved, but a particularly crude story for the bbc to run, as it only gave the cis woman's perspective.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

GONE on 06:14 - Jun 30 with 1102 viewsSitfcB

GONE on 22:43 - Jun 29 by eireblue

I think that is why Phil deletes these threads, so someone can then re-hash what someone said,….that is why they are deleted isn’t it,.. so Phil can test who was paying attention,…..I forget is it a gold star for remembering and silver star for a screen shot?

Delete a big thread and then it gets talked about again = even more clicks

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

GONE on 08:18 - Jun 30 with 1005 viewsPassionNotAnger

GONE on 02:23 - Jun 30 by Kropotkin123

I didn't see beyond about page 10, when an article was linked about a cis woman being raped. I read it and it made me sad that the trans woman was likely there as a victim of rape too, but was being presented as a threat.

I empathize with this cis woman, as rape would cause you to have an irrational fear of all cis men, and evidently trans woman.

Sad situation for all involved, but a particularly crude story for the bbc to run, as it only gave the cis woman's perspective.

Personally I thought the worse comments were where a popular posters suggested most trans people suffered as children (I’m paraphrasing but that’s the gist I took) but he didn’t get the usual pile-on experience the comment deserved. Sickening comment and then they doubled down on it.
Login to get fewer ads

GONE on 08:25 - Jun 30 with 991 viewsBiGDonnie

I think it may have been the whackiest thread I've ever seen on TWTD, some unbelievable comments and thoughts.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

GONE on 08:47 - Jun 30 with 960 viewsGeoffSentence

GONE on 21:16 - Jun 29 by PhilTWTD

Want the site to be welcoming to all users and not sure the latter bit of the thread reflected that.

As a paid up member of the Nazi party, with racist, mysoginistic and homophobic views, who takes delight in violence, loves causing insult and offence and hates anything that comes from beyond the borders of dear old Blighty, I am delighted to hear this. We don't get a welcome in many places.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

GONE on 09:43 - Jun 30 with 913 viewsFixed_It

GONE on 08:47 - Jun 30 by GeoffSentence

As a paid up member of the Nazi party, with racist, mysoginistic and homophobic views, who takes delight in violence, loves causing insult and offence and hates anything that comes from beyond the borders of dear old Blighty, I am delighted to hear this. We don't get a welcome in many places.

Fair enough. I can just about accept all of that. But you've just admitted on another thread that you like yellow and green. Unforgivable!!!

Ready! Steady! Cook!

GONE on 09:55 - Jun 30 with 896 viewsPrideOfTheEast

GONE on 21:54 - Jun 29 by GlasgowBlue

In hindsight it should have been locked at page 10. It was just going around in circles.

By page 14 we had a poster trivialising and dismissing the feelings of a victim of rape and serious sexual assault. That’s when I stopped reading.

Some interesting views, one disgraceful post in particular as you reference, and obviously given the tone of the conversation more generally it got nowhere (as predicted on page 1).
GONE on 10:12 - Jun 30 with 874 viewsunbelievablue

GONE on 08:25 - Jun 30 by BiGDonnie

I think it may have been the whackiest thread I've ever seen on TWTD, some unbelievable comments and thoughts.

Thanks! Oh, sorry, thought you said me.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

GONE on 10:50 - Jun 30 with 829 viewsDarth_Koont

GONE on 09:55 - Jun 30 by PrideOfTheEast

Some interesting views, one disgraceful post in particular as you reference, and obviously given the tone of the conversation more generally it got nowhere (as predicted on page 1).

I think that post was clumsy but then explained. Within the context of the discussion it wasn’t about diminishing the testimony of a victim but saying that it’s not a justifiable comment in its own right. Again, given the context.

There were genuinely a lot worse posts than that on the thread. Outright transphobia for starters.

Pronouns: He/Him

GONE on 11:20 - Jun 30 with 805 viewsPrideOfTheEast

GONE on 10:50 - Jun 30 by Darth_Koont

I think that post was clumsy but then explained. Within the context of the discussion it wasn’t about diminishing the testimony of a victim but saying that it’s not a justifiable comment in its own right. Again, given the context.

There were genuinely a lot worse posts than that on the thread. Outright transphobia for starters.

I stopped reading when I saw that post so presumably missed the worse posts.

It's odd that context is the card when literally on page 1 somebody put a popcorn smiley (clearly aimed at the fact it was going to turn into 10+ pager and nothing else) yet that smiley made "you know who" incredibly angry. I struggle that 9 pages later what he said can be put down to clumsiness alone.
GONE on 19:37 - Jun 30 with 694 viewsmonytowbray

GONE on 11:20 - Jun 30 by PrideOfTheEast

I stopped reading when I saw that post so presumably missed the worse posts.

It's odd that context is the card when literally on page 1 somebody put a popcorn smiley (clearly aimed at the fact it was going to turn into 10+ pager and nothing else) yet that smiley made "you know who" incredibly angry. I struggle that 9 pages later what he said can be put down to clumsiness alone.

“I didn’t actually read what the point being made was and admit that, but I’m going to make my own assumptions despite someone who did read it explaining to me what actually happened.”

In most walks of life, they call that ignorance.

Glassers also doesn’t actually see my posts either (admin enforced div list) so you’re nodding and agreeing with someone with half the story in the first place.

The “worse” posts were also throughout the thread, and although a particularly nasty one came later that got the thread pulled, the transphobia was quite open early doors from several posters.

The popcorn stuff has nothing to do with the point or the post in question we are discussing.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2022 19:42]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

GONE on 19:48 - Jun 30 with 692 viewsSkip_Intro

GONE on 19:37 - Jun 30 by monytowbray

“I didn’t actually read what the point being made was and admit that, but I’m going to make my own assumptions despite someone who did read it explaining to me what actually happened.”

Glassers also doesn’t actually see my posts either (admin enforced div list) so you’re nodding and agreeing with someone with half the story in the first place.

The “worse” posts were also throughout the thread, and although a particularly nasty one came later that got the thread pulled, the transphobia was quite open early doors from several posters.

The popcorn stuff has nothing to do with the point or the post in question we are discussing.

oh come on MinyTember, even you know that you can't make something up and put it in quotation marks to try to give the impression that someone said that...
GONE on 19:59 - Jun 30 with 653 viewsBogblue

GONE on 19:48 - Jun 30 by Skip_Intro

oh come on MinyTember, even you know that you can't make something up and put it in quotation marks to try to give the impression that someone said that...

I was reading p16 at about 19.30 on my phone, went to do something else and forgot about it, so it was still there when I went back to it next day, after the thread had been deleted.

Screen shots available in exchange for donations to the SBR foundation ;)
GONE on 20:02 - Jun 30 with 645 viewsSwansea_Blue

GONE on 21:37 - Jun 29 by N2_Blue

I hate to say it Phil but i think the forum loses a lot when posts such as those get completely deleted. For the most part there was excellent discussion on a very topical subject whatever your stance.

There surely has to be a way of locking and just deleting the few posts that go against house rules.

To delete that thread and the posts that many have put time and effort into is a great great shame. It actually puts me off contributing lengthy posts to topical debates because of the risk of them disappearing. I've written posts before that have taken time and effort and then bang the thread has gone because someone else has derailed it.

That thread particularly would have been good to revisit over time. A great shame.

Agreed. I posted the other evening that it makes you wonder why we bother if things just disappear. Might as well be on Snapchat. But then of course Phil has the reputation of the site to protect. Maybe if a thread is going down the pan, just delete from where the nonsense starts and then lock it?

Of course the other option is for people to not let themselves get drawn into argument and/or ignore contentious topics. But then it would be a bit boring without emotions.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

GONE on 20:07 - Jun 30 with 625 viewsmonytowbray

GONE on 19:48 - Jun 30 by Skip_Intro

Now he’s sunk to remarks about penis size! The height of debate next to ableist remarks, which you also did.

I am quoting what was implied from the post. Odd as you had no issue refusing any points I made to make your own mind up on what I said in the deleted thread.

TWTD never forgets…

GONE on 20:08 - Jun 30 with 620 viewsmonytowbray

GONE on 20:02 - Jun 30 by Swansea_Blue

Agreed. I posted the other evening that it makes you wonder why we bother if things just disappear. Might as well be on Snapchat. But then of course Phil has the reputation of the site to protect. Maybe if a thread is going down the pan, just delete from where the nonsense starts and then lock it?

Of course the other option is for people to not let themselves get drawn into argument and/or ignore contentious topics. But then it would be a bit boring without emotions.

Someone could API the forum into Web Archive…

TWTD never forgets…

GONE on 20:14 - Jun 30 with 603 viewsSkip_Intro

GONE on 20:07 - Jun 30 by monytowbray

Now he’s sunk to remarks about penis size! The height of debate next to ableist remarks, which you also did.

I am quoting what was implied from the post. Odd as you had no issue refusing any points I made to make your own mind up on what I said in the deleted thread.

it's no different to calling someone thick sugar x
GONE on 20:18 - Jun 30 with 576 viewsmonytowbray

GONE on 20:14 - Jun 30 by Skip_Intro

it's no different to calling someone thick sugar x

Calling someone “thick” because they literally won’t read isn’t ableist.

Asking someone how the windows taste on the train (it was to that effect, can’t remember the exact wording) is a slur against mentally handicapped people.

The fact you think the two are comparable is ironic and loops back to confirming my initial remark.

TWTD never forgets…

GONE on 20:27 - Jun 30 with 569 viewsSkip_Intro

GONE on 20:18 - Jun 30 by monytowbray

Calling someone “thick” because they literally won’t read isn’t ableist.

Asking someone how the windows taste on the train (it was to that effect, can’t remember the exact wording) is a slur against mentally handicapped people.

The fact you think the two are comparable is ironic and loops back to confirming my initial remark.

If I literally didn't read then how would I follow your wonderful arguments?
Calling someone 'thick' is literally the same as calling them 'stupid' which is indeed ableist.
Anyway I've had my fun with you MonyTowrag - you're getting very boring now - time for you to hit the div list.
Have a lovely evening x
GONE on 20:28 - Jun 30 with 564 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

GONE on 19:37 - Jun 30 by monytowbray

"the transphobia was quite open early doors from several posters."

I disagree with this. I think you assumed it (and I know Darth accused Joe directly) but I think Joe was just genuinely looking for an answer that suits all. I'm not sure anyone else was transphobic early on in the thread.

You also basically accused the raped woman of being transphobic and even weaponising it, which, as I said in the thread, is unfair. I think a lot of people, including myself, are just trying to figure it out - don't jump so quickly to "oh they must be transphobic then."

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024