Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The problem with rotation is... 09:04 - Aug 10 with 2940 viewsitfcjoe

....you sometimes have to rotate the wrong players into games.

Last night a case in point, Kayden Jackson has proven himself to be very effective under McKenna, either as a second half sub when game stretched more, or against teams that try and push on a bit and he can exploit the space in behind.

But whilst he had 'earned' a start last night and deserved one, it was a game totally not suited to his skillset and we really suffered because of it.

Harper just doesn't suit that deep lying midfield role at all, Cole Skuse on the other side was far superior and when Lee Evans came on the difference between him and Harper was absolute night and day. I'd hope/assume Humphreys or El Miz can have usurped him as 4th CM in the squad as he just looks so far off it.

A game like that really shows up Cameron Burgess as well as he just moves the ball so slowly, fine when it is kick and head it, but in most of our games we will dominate possession and need someone on there who can play the ball at the speed of the rest of the team.

For all the quality in the squad, and it is a good squad there are 4 players who are a level above for me - Walton, Edmundson, Woolfenden and Morsy - if any of the 3 outfielders mentioned are missing we just aren't the same team. Notable mentions for others like Evans, Burns and Donacien who are a long way ahead of their back ups as well.

The need for a striker is clear, Jackson will be a very useful and effective player this season, but if he has to start a run of games and we come up against sides happy to take a point (which is nearly every game at PR) then we will struggle

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The problem with rotation is... on 09:07 - Aug 10 with 1805 viewsKieran_Knows

Wonder how many calls Ashton made to Leicester CEO and Hirst's agent last night?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

The problem with rotation is... on 09:08 - Aug 10 with 1800 viewshomer_123

The problem with rotation is... on 09:07 - Aug 10 by Kieran_Knows

Wonder how many calls Ashton made to Leicester CEO and Hirst's agent last night?

None, hopefully, as it would have been desperate and massively inflated an already high price.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The problem with rotation is... on 09:10 - Aug 10 with 1786 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

That's more likely when you rotate a whole team.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

The problem with rotation is... on 09:10 - Aug 10 with 1787 viewshomer_123

As I said last night, we still have a big squad and one of the challenges is trying to keep players happy and get them decent game time.

Therefore, this many changes is somewhat forced but the large squad.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The problem with rotation is... on 09:10 - Aug 10 with 1787 viewsGlasgowBlue

Don’t disagree with your assessment. We have fantastic like for like options to cover injuries and suspensions who will fit in our starting eleven seamlessly when required. However, that doesn’t mean a complete different eleven will be anywhere near as good as our preferred team.

Regarding Jackson, I’d start him against Mk on Saturday as that is a game that suits him and he was very effective in the away game last season.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The problem with rotation is... on 09:13 - Aug 10 with 1766 viewsTractorTom5

The problem with rotation is... on 09:07 - Aug 10 by Kieran_Knows

Hirst won’t come here! Some fans are just so fickle and last night proved that
The problem with rotation is... on 09:16 - Aug 10 with 1744 viewsTractorTom5

The problem with rotation is... on 09:10 - Aug 10 by homer_123

As I said last night, we still have a big squad and one of the challenges is trying to keep players happy and get them decent game time.

Therefore, this many changes is somewhat forced but the large squad.

Are the players happy though?
It’s now too big a squad. Players want to play
Players want to win
Tonight was embarrassing to watch let alone if you were a player not playing
Money buys done things but not everything Mr Ashton
The problem with rotation is... on 09:24 - Aug 10 with 1662 viewsGuthrum

I still think the lack of a decent reserve competition in England does not help. Managers use cup games to keep their replacement/fringe/youth players sharp and to "reward" them for working hard in training. When else are they going to be able to?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

The problem with rotation is... on 09:26 - Aug 10 with 1644 viewsmonty_radio

The problem with rotation is... on 09:13 - Aug 10 by TractorTom5

Hirst won’t come here! Some fans are just so fickle and last night proved that

If Hirst doesn't come here it might be because of:

The asking price
The salary on offer
A preference for a Portsmouth team he already knows
Even that he maybe owns a beach hut on Hayling Island

_ but it won't have anything to do with our fans, fickle or otherwise

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

The problem with rotation is... on 09:28 - Aug 10 with 1634 viewsJ2BLUE

The problem with rotation is... on 09:16 - Aug 10 by TractorTom5

Players want to win

You are a strange one. Constantly negative and go around downvoting anything remotely positive. I know it's the school holidays but try going outside.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The problem with rotation is... on 09:30 - Aug 10 with 1617 viewsiamipswich

Agree with everything you say except I wouldn't say Woolfenden makes that top tier within our squad. I still think he's not physical enough in tussles with strikers who can back into him and lay the ball off, and still he can be too lax on the ball (which is hardly breaking news). Probably put him in the Evans, Burns bracket personally.

Everything else you're spot on imo.

Poll: Who will return first?

The problem with rotation is... on 09:34 - Aug 10 with 1590 viewsdavblue

Jackson, imo is too one dimensional, if the game doesn't suit him like you say then he's not as useful. A good sub option, but we need and all rounder upfront.
The problem with rotation is... on 09:37 - Aug 10 with 1577 viewsJimmy86

Joe, whilst Woolfenden could be described as a ball playing centre half and is certainly good with the ball at his feet playing out from the back, he loses out in any physical battle... last night he was absolutely schooled by Nouble FFS, who couldn't win a header for sh1t when he was at town.. Nouble is a donkey and still bullied him... I know you're big on the academy, but in my eyes at least Wolfie isn't as good as you seem to make him out to be. He also switches off at vital times and is prone to being caught in possession Just my opinion...
The problem with rotation is... on 09:38 - Aug 10 with 1579 viewsclive_baker

Yep, agree. For me I see the squad in 4 pots, namely:

1: Walton, Edmundson, Woolfenden, Burns, Morsy, Chaplin
2: JD, Evans, Davis, Ball, Harness, Ladapo, Aluko, Keogh(?)
3: Jackson, Burgess, KVY, Hladky, John-Jules, Leigh
4: El-Miz, Harper, Edwards, Ndaba, Penney

Obviously a couple of those have a little to prove (in both directions), namely Leigh, TJJ and Davis as I've not seen much of them either here or elsewhere. Pot 4 shouldn't be in our team in any capacity, and largely aren't for league football to be fair to KM. Pot 3 are squad players.

If we can add a goal scorer into Pot 1 we have a very strong 'core' 15 man squad between pots 1 and 2 at this level that should largely be who we see on a Saturday afternoon, but that's where we're short right now. I'm not sure Jackson has proven himself very effective either under KM or prior. He's a forward who doesn't score or create a lot, and had we not extended his contract I don't think many would've minded. Would be interesting to see where he ended up but I dare say he wouldn't be 2nd choice striker for a top 6 side in L1.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

The problem with rotation is... on 09:52 - Aug 10 with 1517 viewsBasuco

Agree with all of that, but I would also say that getting out of league 1 is far more important than any cup runs, I would be very happy if no first team players were involved in cup games this season and hopefully help get us back into the Championship. I am not at all bothered by Premier League football, I much prefer watching Championship football. Last night was a bad night but in the wider scheme of things I am not that bothered about it.
The problem with rotation is... on 09:56 - Aug 10 with 1504 viewsPhilTWTD

For me Jackson has only been effective under KMc when playing in one of the wide roles in the front three, I just don't think he can play as the number nine, so it wasn't really a surprise when he was switched with John-Jules in the first half yesterday.

We obviously need another number nine but just the general failure to take chances from all around the pitch is perhaps a more significant issue, Leigh and Humphreys were the two biggest culprits yesterday.
The problem with rotation is... on 10:00 - Aug 10 with 1464 viewsDJR

The problem with rotation is... on 09:37 - Aug 10 by Jimmy86

Joe, whilst Woolfenden could be described as a ball playing centre half and is certainly good with the ball at his feet playing out from the back, he loses out in any physical battle... last night he was absolutely schooled by Nouble FFS, who couldn't win a header for sh1t when he was at town.. Nouble is a donkey and still bullied him... I know you're big on the academy, but in my eyes at least Wolfie isn't as good as you seem to make him out to be. He also switches off at vital times and is prone to being caught in possession Just my opinion...

I wasn't there last night but having seen virtually every game last season after McK took over, I don't recall Woolf being outfought in any physical battle at all. Of course, he isn't particularly physical but I feel he makes up for this in the timing of his interceptions whether on the ground or in the air. I also don't recall his being caught out in possession. The problem it seems to me is that one error early in the season sets a narrative that for some players that they never seem able to shake off, however well they play.

EDIT: this is Andy Warren's verdict on Woolf
"Back from illness at the heart of defence, the defender performed well during his battle with Frank Nouble. Was pulled around the pitch a little but was always able to sweep up well enough as he enjoyed a good battle with the former Ipswich striker."
[Post edited 10 Aug 2022 10:03]
The problem with rotation is... on 10:04 - Aug 10 with 1441 viewsSomethingBlue

The problem with rotation is... on 09:38 - Aug 10 by clive_baker

Yep, agree. For me I see the squad in 4 pots, namely:

1: Walton, Edmundson, Woolfenden, Burns, Morsy, Chaplin
2: JD, Evans, Davis, Ball, Harness, Ladapo, Aluko, Keogh(?)
3: Jackson, Burgess, KVY, Hladky, John-Jules, Leigh
4: El-Miz, Harper, Edwards, Ndaba, Penney

Obviously a couple of those have a little to prove (in both directions), namely Leigh, TJJ and Davis as I've not seen much of them either here or elsewhere. Pot 4 shouldn't be in our team in any capacity, and largely aren't for league football to be fair to KM. Pot 3 are squad players.

If we can add a goal scorer into Pot 1 we have a very strong 'core' 15 man squad between pots 1 and 2 at this level that should largely be who we see on a Saturday afternoon, but that's where we're short right now. I'm not sure Jackson has proven himself very effective either under KM or prior. He's a forward who doesn't score or create a lot, and had we not extended his contract I don't think many would've minded. Would be interesting to see where he ended up but I dare say he wouldn't be 2nd choice striker for a top 6 side in L1.

Need for a striker is glaring when it's put this way. Overall that looks pretty fair, altho I'd probably have Chaplin halfway between the top two pots and if Edwards ultimately leaves this club having not risen *at least* one pot it will be an absolute crying shame.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

The problem with rotation is... on 10:11 - Aug 10 with 1400 viewschicoazul

Harper is such a disappointment. Very good pedigree and you can see just from the warm ups he has loads of talent. I still hope McK can do something with him but as you say Humph has probably gone beyond him now.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The problem with rotation is... on 10:13 - Aug 10 with 1388 viewsSomethingBlue

The problem with rotation is... on 10:11 - Aug 10 by chicoazul

Harper is such a disappointment. Very good pedigree and you can see just from the warm ups he has loads of talent. I still hope McK can do something with him but as you say Humph has probably gone beyond him now.

I really liked him on his debut and, in fact, during most of our dire early run last season — lovely crisp, "meant" weight on his passes and some fine vision. Really gone off the boil since and that seems to have been the way in his career so far. If we can't get at least one of him and Edwards firing it'll be a huge disappointment for me.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

The problem with rotation is... on 10:14 - Aug 10 with 1377 viewsBlueBadger

The problem with rotation is... on 09:16 - Aug 10 by TractorTom5

Players want to win

I have it on good authority that they'll only be happy when Penney leaves.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The problem with rotation is... on 10:22 - Aug 10 with 1338 viewsunstableblue

The problem with rotation is... on 09:56 - Aug 10 by PhilTWTD

For me Jackson has only been effective under KMc when playing in one of the wide roles in the front three, I just don't think he can play as the number nine, so it wasn't really a surprise when he was switched with John-Jules in the first half yesterday.

We obviously need another number nine but just the general failure to take chances from all around the pitch is perhaps a more significant issue, Leigh and Humphreys were the two biggest culprits yesterday.

Agree

Jackson is better in the right hand wide front role in the 3

But to Joes point Jackson doesn’t really suit a lot of games we’ll play this season as the opposition defence sit so deep meaning there are no channels to run in to, no space

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

The problem with rotation is... on 10:25 - Aug 10 with 1307 viewsPhilTWTD

The problem with rotation is... on 10:22 - Aug 10 by unstableblue

Agree

Jackson is better in the right hand wide front role in the 3

But to Joes point Jackson doesn’t really suit a lot of games we’ll play this season as the opposition defence sit so deep meaning there are no channels to run in to, no space

Indeed, he doesn't have enough to his all-round game, his pace is so central to it and if he doesn't have space to run into then his limitations show.
The problem with rotation is... on 10:28 - Aug 10 with 1263 viewsunstableblue

Good post and couldn’t agree more about Walton, Morsy, Wolfenden and Edmundson.

Morsy and Walton especially, they give us high quality and personality.

I’m hoping Ball and Keogh similarly increase our personality and quality.

It’s easy to write a team sheet with all these back up players mirroring the starting 11 and feel there is competition. But el Miz, Harper and Humphreys are streets away from Morsy.

You would have included Burns in that list of quality dependables, but he’s off the pace at the moment and it’s a concern.

I do hope we see some real game time for the Ladapo, Chaplin and Harness group… they could be key

And I like what I am seeing from Harness… Aluko perhaps flatters to deceive… whereas I think Harness is always looking the quickest attack option

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

The problem with rotation is... on 10:28 - Aug 10 with 1266 viewshype313

The problem with rotation is... on 10:25 - Aug 10 by PhilTWTD

Indeed, he doesn't have enough to his all-round game, his pace is so central to it and if he doesn't have space to run into then his limitations show.

Most teams will come to PR this season and park the bus, it won't suit Jackson at all.

Saying that, I don't think he was ever in McKenna's first XI, more a player to come on with 20 to go to stretch defences.

Playing him as a number 9 showed us why he isn't suited to that role.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024