Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Royal Blood 07:11 - May 30 with 8340 viewsGlasgowBlue

Artistic statement or entitled petulant behaviour?

I’m inclined to go with the latter.it’s up to the artist to put on the show of their lives and win over people who are not their usual audience.

When Slade were last minute replacements for Ozzy Osborne at the Reading Rock Festival, the crowd threw bottles at what they perceived to be glam rock has beens. Two songs in Slade won them over with their musicianship.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Royal Blood on 07:21 - May 30 with 4723 viewsPlums

Definitely the latter. If they're at the wrong gig, it's the management's fault not the audience's. This video will be seen by many more people than those who buy their music, merch and tickets.
[Post edited 30 May 2023 7:21]

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Royal Blood on 07:42 - May 30 with 4664 viewsDanTheMan

Embarrassing behaviour.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Royal Blood on 07:53 - May 30 with 4627 viewsHerbivore

Really pathetic behaviour. What a cock end.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Royal Blood on 07:55 - May 30 with 4616 viewsDaninthecampo

Idiot!
They knew what type of crowd they were signing up for but were happy to take the exposure of playing there whilst coinciding with their new single release,but With their biggest hits coming from 2014 they're clearly not very relevant in 2023 or very good live, its not like Scottish crowds are renowned for having a good time at gigs/ festivals!
The Foo's certainly didnt have any issues entertaining a pop crowd
Royal Blood on 08:18 - May 30 with 4540 viewsbluelagos

Reminds me of a gig I went to as a teenager. My mates were in a band and filled a coach of fans to a turn at the roundhouse in Camden.

They played kind of alternative music and went down well. Next up were a thrash metal band whose lead singer opened with

"Did you like the 'Love Kittens?'. (mate's band)

We all cheered

"Well you're going to fcking hate us then!"

He wasn't wrong 😂

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Royal Blood on 08:22 - May 30 with 4525 viewsHerbivore

Royal Blood on 08:18 - May 30 by bluelagos

Reminds me of a gig I went to as a teenager. My mates were in a band and filled a coach of fans to a turn at the roundhouse in Camden.

They played kind of alternative music and went down well. Next up were a thrash metal band whose lead singer opened with

"Did you like the 'Love Kittens?'. (mate's band)

We all cheered

"Well you're going to fcking hate us then!"

He wasn't wrong 😂

See, that has a touch of humour and class about it so I respect his approach. The knob from Royal Blood just came across as a bit of a Sheffield Wednesday fan. I doubt I could name a single Royal Blood song, they were never exactly massive were they?

Royal Blood on 08:25 - May 30 with 4501 viewsBlueBadger

Royal Blood on 08:22 - May 30 by Herbivore

See, that has a touch of humour and class about it so I respect his approach. The knob from Royal Blood just came across as a bit of a Sheffield Wednesday fan. I doubt I could name a single Royal Blood song, they were never exactly massive were they?

I was thinking along similar lines with 'why didn't they just play their hits and see if they get a response' and then thought 'what actually ARE their hits'.

Oh god, I'm so old.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Royal Blood on 08:31 - May 30 with 4463 viewsLord_Lucan

Royal Blood on 08:25 - May 30 by BlueBadger

I was thinking along similar lines with 'why didn't they just play their hits and see if they get a response' and then thought 'what actually ARE their hits'.

Oh god, I'm so old.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

Royal Blood on 08:37 - May 30 with 4432 viewsDanTheMan

Oh god, I'm so old.

I remember them coming onto the scene like 7(ish?) years ago and just being a fairly bland radio rock band.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Royal Blood on 08:40 - May 30 with 4407 viewsHerbivore

Royal Blood on 08:37 - May 30 by DanTheMan

I remember them coming onto the scene like 7(ish?) years ago and just being a fairly bland radio rock band.

This is my recollection too. They were a name that briefly appeared and got small amount of mainstream traction for a very small amount of time but I genuinely don't know what they actually sound(ed) like. The expectation that a load of 18 year old teenyboppers would know who they are and be massively into them seems, at best, hugely misplaced.

Royal Blood on 08:44 - May 30 with 4378 viewsThisIsMyUsername

I liked them for about five minutes as it was somewhat novel but there's only so many things you can do with a bass guitar and some drums. Most of their songs sound the same. Maybe if they found a way to evolve and change their sound then more people would want to go and see them and the front guy wouldn't need to have a childlike strop because fewer people seem to like them than he would hope for.
[Post edited 30 May 2023 8:46]

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Royal Blood on 08:47 - May 30 with 4351 viewsGlasgowBlue

Oh god, I'm so old.

Twitter at its best today.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Royal Blood on 09:11 - May 30 with 4204 viewsDubtractor

I saw someone on twitter describe them as follows:

"All the Tesco bits of Muse and all the Asda bits of wolfmother, had a music industry orgie in Waitrose"

Pretty much nails it. And the antics at the R1 thing are embarrassing. I suspect he was trying to be 'rock and roll', but comes across as an entitled bellend.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Royal Blood on 09:19 - May 30 with 4161 viewsBlueBadger

Royal Blood on 09:11 - May 30 by Dubtractor

I saw someone on twitter describe them as follows:

"All the Tesco bits of Muse and all the Asda bits of wolfmother, had a music industry orgie in Waitrose"

Pretty much nails it. And the antics at the R1 thing are embarrassing. I suspect he was trying to be 'rock and roll', but comes across as an entitled bellend.

So, basically, music for people who think that the Foo Fighers are a bit too hardcore?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Royal Blood on 09:50 - May 30 with 4050 viewsDBaldy

Aren't we often reminded by various people on here to keep things in context and consider all factors before making a judgement / criticism?

I'm not sure that a one minute video is completely reflective of what happened during their set - did they try to get the crowd involved & sing along? Did they ask the usual crowd-chat question & try to interact with them? I would expect so, but if they were getting abuse from the crowd (again very possible but not shown on the video) how are they supposed to react?

Maybe they did play the show of their lives, but in front of the wrong crowd? I'm not sure you can blame a band for wanting to play in front of a big crowd who wouldn't necessarily know their stuff in the hope you'll win over some new fans, and they're going to get slaughtered on social media, but it's probably best to remember there are two sides to every story.
Royal Blood on 10:18 - May 30 with 3946 viewsGuthrum

While all you say is true, band members are still human and may have simply been having a sh1t day. Remember having a spot of bother on a backstage gate at Glasto with a musician being pretty arsey. He came back and apologised later, said he hadn't been feeling well after the non-stop bus journey all the way from where they'd been playing in Belgium and a bit of apparently petty (but actually quite important) bureaucracy had set him off on one.

One of the best unexpected replacements I ever saw was at the Cheltenham Literary Festival. A room full of hard-core sci-fi fans were waiting to listen to Kurt Vonnegut. However, the notoriously prickly Vonnegut had had a row with the organisers and stomped off. The last-minute replacement they got was Jilly Cooper, could hardly be further away in genre. But she was brilliant, talking about the craft of novel-writing in a very engaging manner. Most of us really enjoyed it.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Royal Blood on 10:34 - May 30 with 3884 viewsMattinLondon

Pulp headlined Glasto in the mid 90s after The Stone Roses (I think) pulled out. There wasn’t universal love for them but they were superb and won over a lot of new fans. Same can be said for Underworld and The Prodigy who played ‘rock’ festivals amd again, won over new fans.

Bit embarrassing behaviour by them - they knew what type of gig and crowd it was.
Royal Blood on 10:58 - May 30 with 3811 viewsBlueBadger

Royal Blood on 09:50 - May 30 by DBaldy

Aren't we often reminded by various people on here to keep things in context and consider all factors before making a judgement / criticism?

I'm not sure that a one minute video is completely reflective of what happened during their set - did they try to get the crowd involved & sing along? Did they ask the usual crowd-chat question & try to interact with them? I would expect so, but if they were getting abuse from the crowd (again very possible but not shown on the video) how are they supposed to react?

Maybe they did play the show of their lives, but in front of the wrong crowd? I'm not sure you can blame a band for wanting to play in front of a big crowd who wouldn't necessarily know their stuff in the hope you'll win over some new fans, and they're going to get slaughtered on social media, but it's probably best to remember there are two sides to every story.

Some context here then.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/royal-blood-big-week

He turned up determined to antagonise his crowd and spent the whole gig stropping about a gig, for which he was presumably being paid well to turn up at.

I have a degree of sympathy as Mrs Badger is a part-time jobbing musician and every musician has faced indifferent crowds at times, but at no point is it wise to start off antagonistic and then double down on it as a way of trying to win people over.
[Post edited 30 May 2023 11:12]

Royal Blood on 11:00 - May 30 with 3807 viewsSwansea_Blue

I'm going for the 'dickheads' option. A bit of a kick in the balls for the fans in the audience who you could clearly hear. At this type of gig you're not going to capture the attention of everyone.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Royal Blood on 11:39 - May 30 with 3710 viewswischip

It's just an act. I wouldn't read too much into it. It makes a change from every act being nice and samey.
Royal Blood on 11:42 - May 30 with 3694 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Royal Blood on 08:22 - May 30 by Herbivore

Maybe their strategy is working. I hadn't heard of them at 11:39. Now it's 11:42 and they're etched into my memory. Dunno what their mudic is like, though...

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Royal Blood on 11:45 - May 30 with 3676 viewsBlueandTruesince82

They had a couple of massive albums, whilst I think all involved ought to have question the booking once booked you have to make the best of it don't you....

Blues Brothers at Bob's Country Bunker spring to mind

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Royal Blood on 11:45 - May 30 with 3666 viewshype313

They knew the audience, it's Radio 1 roadshow ffs, back in the day it was Bananarama and Rick Astley, hardly the crowd they usually play for, so having a moan is futile.

Take the money, keep your mouth shut and hope you pick up a few fans in the process.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Royal Blood on 12:28 - May 30 with 3537 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

"Annoying all the right people" is the cool thing to say on here isn't it?

The clip is context free so hard to judge what led them to this.

Personally, the first album was great and they've gone downhill ever since. They were fresh upstarts then. Now? Perhaps they've believed their own hype too much. Lyrically they don't seem to have much left to say.

I imagine if it were an artist you liked (now or back in the day) you'd be saying well done them, artistic statement.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Royal Blood on 13:18 - May 30 with 3372 viewsGuthrum

Royal Blood on 11:39 - May 30 by wischip

It's just an act. I wouldn't read too much into it. It makes a change from every act being nice and samey.

Not playing your music to the audience is an act with little future. Especially as touring is often more lucrative for the artist than sales of recorded music.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024