Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I hate VAR so much 16:31 - Feb 25 with 2751 viewsBlueschev

It’s completely ruined the greatest thing about football. What idiots wanted this crap?
I hate VAR so much on 16:37 - Feb 25 with 2414 viewsCheltenham_Blue

A lot of football fans and clubs wanted it, but only because referees were making so many 'clear and obvious' errors in big money games.

The problem with VAR is that it has been over applied for things it was never intended for, i.e. marginal calls.

*Looks accusingly at Howard Webb*

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

I hate VAR so much on 16:38 - Feb 25 with 2404 viewsIllinoisblue

Nobody, absolutely nobody, from either team would have complained if the disallowed ‘goals’ today had been given. VAR is nitpicking looking for things to justify its existence. Sucked the joy out of the game.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

I hate VAR so much on 16:48 - Feb 25 with 2318 viewsgtsb1966

That euphoria for fans when a goal is scored is gone within 5 seconds of a goal being scored as they realise a VAR check is imminent. I've said it before, I think there needs to be clear daylight to be given for offside not someones fingernail.
I hate VAR so much on 16:48 - Feb 25 with 2302 viewsChurchman

I agree. It’s awful. Part of the joy of football is spontaneity. The moment. When they spend five minutes messing about with a tv screen just to come to the wrong decision half the time, what’s the point? There was nothing wrong with that goal. If forwards are guilty of blocking off, defenders most certainly are at every free kick and corner.

Regardless of my opinion on that incident, I’d get rid of VAR. it’s a blight on the game. Goal line tech: great. The rest. Jest get in better Refs and Lino’s and accept that human error is part of the game.

The one thing I would do something about is cheating. Retrospective action. A six game ban for players taking a dive would stop it. Obviously, where it isn’t conclusive, the diver gets the benefit of the doubt. Dewsbury-Fall would play about eight games a season, but he’d learn. Same ban for players rolling about holding their faces after a knock on the knee etc etc.
I hate VAR so much on 16:49 - Feb 25 with 2305 viewsUSA

I hate VAR so much on 16:38 - Feb 25 by Illinoisblue

Nobody, absolutely nobody, from either team would have complained if the disallowed ‘goals’ today had been given. VAR is nitpicking looking for things to justify its existence. Sucked the joy out of the game.

Both offside related. Whilst I agree VAR is awful and was utter bo11ocks in both disallowed goals, let’s just scrap offside. Bloody pointless.
I hate VAR so much on 16:50 - Feb 25 with 2290 viewspointofblue

I hate VAR so much on 16:38 - Feb 25 by Illinoisblue

I think I'm right in saying the Chelsea 'goal' was ruled out by the assistant referee at the time. But yeah, there wasn't much in the Liverpool goal.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

I hate VAR so much on 16:56 - Feb 25 with 2248 viewsUSA

I hate VAR so much on 16:50 - Feb 25 by pointofblue

I think I'm right in saying the Chelsea 'goal' was ruled out by the assistant referee at the time. But yeah, there wasn't much in the Liverpool goal.

You’re right actually. But who cares if the forward’s knee hair is ahead of the defenders knee hair. Scrap offside!!
I hate VAR so much on 17:02 - Feb 25 with 2199 viewsSimonds92

I agree it is crap and how can you celebrate goals properly now? However, we would likely have a few extra points if we had it in our league.
Login to get fewer ads

I hate VAR so much on 17:05 - Feb 25 with 2169 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Argument to say that VAR worked very well there.

1) Didn’t have to risk making the wrong call in real time incorrectly disallowing it.
2) Clearly offside and interfered with play blocking off the marker.
3) Bonus points for frustrating 40k Scousers.

I’m sure everyone would have liked it on Friday night at 1-0 at Elland Road.
I hate VAR so much on 17:38 - Feb 25 with 2081 viewsIllinoisblue

If the assistant WHO IS AT THE GAME AND SAW IT HAPPEN RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM made the decision why do we need the VAR charade?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

I hate VAR so much on 23:25 - Feb 25 with 1771 viewsArchiRob

Ruined it for me pointless watching a match ! It clinically kills the moment and you can never be sure it's a goal or not until 5 minutes after the event.
If the goal wasn't allowed for an offside potentially blocking a defender who was most unlikely to get to the ball anyway why wasn't it allowed to stand or a penalty awarded for the clear foul (shirt holding ) on Van the man that happened simultaneously. Surely a clear foul is worse than an offside maybe impacting a player.
I hate VAR so much on 00:34 - Feb 26 with 1712 viewsberkstractorboy

You don't have an issue with the way Endo blocked Colwill for the Livarpool 'goal'. He never looked at the ball only at the Chelsea player the whole time to block him getting back to attempt a defensive header. I am glad that was ruled out.

Could argue why Colwill not goalside but if he does that he sets the line deeper and Chelsea wanting to hold the line hence Endo being 'offside'
I hate VAR so much on 00:35 - Feb 26 with 1710 viewsVaughan8

I will say I wanted it, but I thought it was going for the "clear and obvious errors" like Henry handball and Mendes goal at old Trafford (I know the latter would be done wirh goal line tech now).

Not silly offsides by a toenail and no consistency. I know MOTD were explaining why Maguires challenge wasn't the same as Gilmours but they were very similar (and both I don't think with any malice).
[Post edited 26 Feb 0:37]
I hate VAR so much on 05:03 - Feb 26 with 1621 viewsMK1

It should only be used for clear and obvious erorrs.
The fact that somebodies Knee cap is in front of the last defender isn't one of them.
If it was used correctly, then it could be a good thing, but not how it is used at the moment.
I hate VAR so much on 07:08 - Feb 26 with 1540 viewsBattersea_Blue

Have lines 35 yards from goal, can't be offside if behind it, same as it is now with half way line.

Offside should be purely based on feet, not a leaning arm or knee cap.

Both those would save VAR a lot of issues.

I wish the solution to handball in the penalty area was that easy to fix . . .
I hate VAR so much on 09:02 - Feb 26 with 1423 viewsthebooks

For me, refereeing errors are all part of the theatre of a match, so I never wanted it.

It solves a problem that never existed: on the whole, referees make the right decision, and a lot of the time it’s about interpretation anyway.

I do remember everyone clamouring for it though – you’d get phone-ins where some dullard – who hadn’t gone to the match – would argue that a referee had cost their team £60m or something by not giving a penalty – as if the point is to make money.

I guess it’s a natural consequence of football becoming less about going to the actual match and more about all the noise and money around it.

PL football is bland enough as it is; this really puts me off.
I hate VAR so much on 09:26 - Feb 26 with 1350 views_clive_baker_

Its absolute dross and does nothing to enhance a supporter experience. I heard Howard Webb crowing that 40 otherwise incorrect goal related decisions were overturned as a result of VAR in the 1st half of the season, thus supposedly justifying its existence. Seems a very one sided cost reward analysis to me. I think that's more than offset by sanitising the game to such a degree that decisions are poured over, reviewed for several minutes before making a decision, removing that opportunity for fans to celebrate goals safe in the knowledge its actually going to stand.

It's like saying there would be less accidents on the road if speed limits on A roads were 20mph. I'm sure there would but it doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.
I hate VAR so much on 09:42 - Feb 26 with 1302 viewsLord_Lucan

Loads

If I remember correctly most fans were incensed that in this day and age there wasn't video checking, what with the importance of key decisions, not to mention the money involved.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

I hate VAR so much on 09:48 - Feb 26 with 1276 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I hate VAR so much on 09:26 - Feb 26 by _clive_baker_

Its absolute dross and does nothing to enhance a supporter experience. I heard Howard Webb crowing that 40 otherwise incorrect goal related decisions were overturned as a result of VAR in the 1st half of the season, thus supposedly justifying its existence. Seems a very one sided cost reward analysis to me. I think that's more than offset by sanitising the game to such a degree that decisions are poured over, reviewed for several minutes before making a decision, removing that opportunity for fans to celebrate goals safe in the knowledge its actually going to stand.

It's like saying there would be less accidents on the road if speed limits on A roads were 20mph. I'm sure there would but it doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

That stat ignores the fact that some of those would have been disallowed anyway if officials weren’t now letting marginal things continue knowing VAR can bring it back, and that a number of them are only ‘correct’ based on someone’s interpretation which is no different to a ref making a decision in the first place

Awful system that benefits no one other than Sky who now get to add VAR to their list of things to cover

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

I hate VAR so much on 09:59 - Feb 26 with 1243 viewshatch

Give each captain one referral to VAR per game like in cricket? Carries over if correct, lost if wrong.

On the Liverpool goal yesterday, I get that it’s a little crazy but couldn’t that teach attackers to make sure they are onside when the ball is kicked rather than the usual approach of lingering offside and then having the players overtake them when the ball is kicked.

I mean, he was in an offside position and then stopped Colwill making the clearance, so it did interfere with play. Why could he not have stood onside?

I do get the pettiness of it but in a cup final if that was Ipswich defending I would be screaming at the TV after replays.
I hate VAR so much on 10:01 - Feb 26 with 1235 viewsMarkp68

I was lucky enough to win tickets for the game and having not been to any live game featuring VAR I am not looking forward to it if and when we get promoted. The Chelsea goal was flagged by the Lino and we were sitting directly opposite and it looked way more clear cut than it was when the decision was made and I don’t think anyone would have been bothered it was wrong had there been no VAR. That decision took long enough but the ruled out Liverpool goal took an absolute age and the only info the fans get is “checking goal for offside” on the screens with no idea why or how that may be the case. Having seen it later on TV I think personally the decision is a nonsense, as far as I could see no Chelsea player even appeals for a foul, offside or any other infringement which I think says it all. I was all for VAR but as many have said it’s killing the game and should either be scaled back to what we all thought it was for ie. clear and obvious errors or scrapped altogether.
I hate VAR so much on 10:03 - Feb 26 with 1230 viewsrickw

The PL will have the semi-automated offsides come in next season, it will still say players are offside by a toenail but at least it will give that decision in a few seconds.

I would change it so it never delays a restart, players celebrate for about a minute, which you'd have thought is enough time to spot a clear and obvious error, if it takes longer than that it can't be that obvious

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

I hate VAR so much on 11:45 - Feb 26 with 1111 viewsGarv

The sad thing is it was so incredibly predictable. The people who shouted the loudest got their way when VAR came in.

I reckon with VAR Chaplin was offside on Saturday, by a toe probably, but have you heard any complaints from Brum? Everyone seems to have accepted he was level, rightly so.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

I hate VAR so much on 12:54 - Feb 26 with 1053 viewsBlueRaider

It's typical of the football authorities, they were pretty much the last major sport to go to video refereeing (cricket, tennis, rugby, NFL all do it), so they had so much experience of other sports to look at, and they created this monstrosity.

The single worst thing for me is that you see something and then you are wondering for the next few minutes, are they looking at it ?

For me, enable the captains / managers to ask for a review (two failed per half ?), it would be much more transparent then and they would be looking for a specific thing, not just anything.

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

I hate VAR so much on 13:14 - Feb 26 with 1020 viewsYarraBlue

One more for the "I hate VAR" camp.
Bloody awful thing. Refereeing decisions, rightly or wrongly, sometimes go against you. Grow up, accept it and carry on.

It's infected the A League over here as well (because they have to be seen to be a 'proper' league - just like the Premiership), and it just slows down an already pedestrian level of football.

I'd wholeheartedly support someone taking VAR somewhere quiet and doing away with it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024