Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen 09:27 - May 21 with 35851 viewsitfcjoe

Rob Edwards seems to be the only name mentioned yet so presume there is something in that

If we want the most continuity I would be doing what it takes to get Michael Carrick out of Boro, he signed a new deal a week or so back and very bought into the project there but I really like him too. Very tough deal to do I imagine.

I think the Pl may be a step too far, but had we stayed down I'd have been all over Danny Rohl, he strikes me as the most McKenna like as a career coach, great experience and done a fantastic job at Sheff Weds, really impressive and seems to 'get it' judging by their fan base.

Also, another name not seen mentioned much is Steve Cooper, did really well in the mad house that is Nottingham Forest, great developer of young players and good PL experience.

I've seen a few say Graham Potter but he feels unrealistic when you see the jobs linked with, is still being paid an exorbitant amount by Chelsea so not sure we'd have the clout to attract him

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 19:34 - May 21 with 3257 viewsPhilTWTD

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 15:13 - May 21 by Zx1988

As I've mentioned in another thread, also Liam Manning to a lesser extent.

After his play-off finish with MK Dons he turned down offers from foreign clubs that had qualified for European competition, in order to stay at MK. A few months later he's back on the scrap heap, and ends up managing Oxford rather than Olympiacos.
[Post edited 21 May 15:15]

Precisely, excellent example.
Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 19:37 - May 21 with 3200 viewsGlasgowBlue

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 19:34 - May 21 by PhilTWTD

Precisely, excellent example.

Mark Bonner to a lesser extent. Could have gone to the Championship with Rotherham, stayed loyal to Cambridge, got sacked and is now managing in League Two.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 19:46 - May 21 with 3122 viewsbaxterbasics

Chelsea fans fuming at the prospect of McKenna, the daft berks.

Don’t go where the fans don’t want you, boss. Perhaps also avoid clubs which dump their manager for finishing 6th.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 19:52 - May 21 with 3079 viewsPhilTWTD

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 19:37 - May 21 by GlasgowBlue

Mark Bonner to a lesser extent. Could have gone to the Championship with Rotherham, stayed loyal to Cambridge, got sacked and is now managing in League Two.

Indeed, very much the same.
Farioli's odds have.... on 20:05 - May 21 with 2982 viewsphillymark

Farioli's odds have.... on 15:15 - May 21 by Zx1988

Your last paragraph...

Would it be incorrect to interpret that as KMc being incredibly keen to stay at ITFC, but expecting some sort of quid pro quo in respect of his ongoing loyalty?

He would be foolish not to ask for such a deal.

We all would in the same circumstances
Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 20:14 - May 21 with 2909 viewsportmanking

New contract has been tabled to McKenna this afternoon. *Gulp*
Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 20:26 - May 21 with 2840 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 20:14 - May 21 by portmanking

New contract has been tabled to McKenna this afternoon. *Gulp*

Source?

Edit: Don't tell me, you aren't going to reveal your sources on here?
[Post edited 21 May 20:27]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 20:29 - May 21 with 2803 viewsportmanking

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 20:26 - May 21 by Cheltenham_Blue

Source?

Of course I can't reveal. But it's a staggering contract. Well and truly the last roll of the dice.
Login to get fewer ads

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 20:31 - May 21 with 2781 viewsWeirdFishes

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 20:26 - May 21 by Cheltenham_Blue

Source?

They’ll be referring to this:

TWTD Participant
Poll: Who's Worse?

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 20:32 - May 21 with 2764 viewsN2_Blue

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 20:29 - May 21 by portmanking

Of course I can't reveal. But it's a staggering contract. Well and truly the last roll of the dice.

BS

Any contract we offer isn't going to stop Mckenna going to Chelsea. He won't want to go there, it's the absolute worst enviroment for what mckenna wants to achieve.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 20:33 - May 21 with 2750 viewsGlasgowBlue

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 20:31 - May 21 by WeirdFishes

Good to see the club making use of that extra £5 million we got for either Leeds or Southampton going up.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 20:35 - May 21 with 2722 viewsportmanking

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 20:31 - May 21 by WeirdFishes

Well, I hadn't seen that actually, but that's not far off it at all. He's been offered £100k p/w to stay, essentially. There you have it.
Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 20:37 - May 21 with 2670 viewsyorkshireblue

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 15:48 - May 21 by yorkshireblue

New theory.... McKenna and Ashton are playing 4D chess.

Kmc went to have a look round Brighton's state of the art training ground to get ideas for Playford Road, and a gander at their analytics model and transfer targets for us to copy.

If suddenly Portman Road develops a 'feature; waterfall from the top of the Cobbold, we'll know he's done the same with Manchester United as well....

Oh no….

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 20:40 - May 21 with 2595 viewsMK1

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 20:37 - May 21 by yorkshireblue

Oh no….

It's crying.
Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 20:46 - May 21 with 2495 viewsHipsterectomy

Chelsea would be an absolutely absurd move for him. Potter had prem experience in the bank yet was still massively disrespected by the players at Chelsea. Think I read they referred to him as Hogwarts and there was a whole culture there of treating him like a supply teacher in secondary school.

If he’s serious about a long and successful career, he wouldn’t even consider it right now with their manager turnover, the type of squad they have, and the fan base which are craving instant trophies or you’re out

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 20:47 - May 21 with 2482 viewsWeirdFishes

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 20:35 - May 21 by portmanking

Well, I hadn't seen that actually, but that's not far off it at all. He's been offered £100k p/w to stay, essentially. There you have it.

Fair enough, 2 separate sources is better than 1.

TWTD Participant
Poll: Who's Worse?

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 20:54 - May 21 with 2373 viewsNthQldITFC

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 20:33 - May 21 by GlasgowBlue

Good to see the club making use of that extra £5 million we got for either Leeds or Southampton going up.

The budgies are paying it for us by being too sh!t to make use of their previous parachute money and put up a fight against Leeds. Cheers budgies!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 21:10 - May 21 with 2210 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Give me some more of that copium
Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 21:12 - May 21 with 2192 viewsDaninthecampo

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 20:35 - May 21 by portmanking

Seems like a bargain, another year in the prem is another £100m plus
Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 21:15 - May 21 with 2142 viewsitfc48

I'd be against us giving a player those type of wages this season however not McKenna. He's earned it and is certainly worth that to us.
Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 21:17 - May 21 with 2114 viewsDarkBrandon

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 21:12 - May 21 by Daninthecampo

Seems like a bargain, another year in the prem is another £100m plus

We certainly couldn’t spend the money any better.

I remember the stories about Robson turning down moves to ManU and Barca.

By the time he left us, the FA phoned Ipswich up to check he was earning as much as he claimed.

Clearly money well spent there, too
Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 21:35 - May 21 with 1937 viewsGuthrum

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 18:54 - May 21 by victorysquad

Whilst I would agree that there is a greater chance in taking Brighton higher, its not really that easy is it? I mean they are already 11th and they are a ton of clubs ahead of them that are all way bigger than them.

There are also a ton of risks with going:

1- The Brighton fans are not exactly excited about him going there are they
2. Tony Bloom has openly said that you never know how a manager will turn out - if they start off bottom three, there is every risk they get shot of him
3. Senior players may leave and not want to play for him
4. He may have personality clashes with people there
5. His wife + kids may not settle in the area

I just don't think there is much balance in your argument, and quite frankly, I think it is wrong for people high up in the ITFC area of influence to come out with statements like:

"Brighton has its attractions ahead of Town at present due to their time in the Premier League"

and

"there's a greater chance of being relegated with Town and setting his career path back as a result"

I mean, what is going on? We will be the total sh*t if he leaves us.

However, all of those things also may not happen. He could win the fans over with his style of football in the same way he did us, for example. Plus Brighton finished higher than that last season - in 6th. They could follow Villa in improving even on that.

There's balance and there are objective facts. Brighton have been in the Prem longer than us, with 14 more transfer windows at that level than we've had, to upgrade their squad. They haven't been at serious risk of relegation since 2021, over the last ten seasons, 50% of teams promoted from the Champ have gone straight back down again. They have experienced European football this season. All of that is further ahead than we are presently.

I also seriously doubt Phil posting stuff like that in a TWTD forum thread will make the slightest difference to McKenna's decision.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 21:55 - May 21 with 1779 viewsZx1988

That's one hell of a signal of intent right there. Based on a number of sources I've read (Google 'premier league manager salaries) it's a top-six managerial salary.

Given that De Zerbi was, allegedly, only on £1.5m a year, I can't imagine that Brighton would stick a similar financial offer on the table, so their offer would have to come down to facilities, squad, position, budget etc.,

Even if McKenna chooses to leave, it would make the search for a replacement interesting if we've got that sort of budget for the right candidate. Might it suggest that Potter isn't quite as far out of our league as we might have thought?
[Post edited 21 May 22:05]

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 21:59 - May 21 with 1721 viewsAce_High1

New 3-5 year contract please, massive pay increase and input wherever he wants, with a gentleman's agreement he can go to a "bigger club" top 6 end of the season if there is a vacancy or the year after depending on what jobs are about and how we do next year.

That is what they should agree.
Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:34 - May 22 with 1099 viewsportmanking

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/28066682/kieran-mckenna-new-ipswich-contract-man-
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024