Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This summer seems to hinge on Mick doesn’t it? 09:46 - Jun 30 with 5032 viewsMullet

We are now looking at how much money we might get if clubs we used to compete with, sell on his players. Without these deals and the development of Mings, Webster, Clarke et al. Where would we be?

Our demise and the way we are shrinking to fit division 3 is alarming isn’t it? What happens if and when Mick’s influence and diligence, finally runs out? Whichever way you cut it these next two months need to show us what Evans intends and Lambert can do. The lack of assets we have now and types of player we are buying or after is very telling.

Had MM brought Norwood in he’d be seen somewhere just above or around Moore I guess, a player who was ridiculed and now a piece of the potential windfall puzzle. I’d like to think in the next month Lambert will sign his own Webster or Mings too so we can at least see some sort of long term contingency.

The damage Hurst did and the blindness to it seems to be a debt we can’t pay off.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

This summer seems to hinge on Mick doesn’t it? on 09:49 - Jun 30 with 4386 viewsfooters

Won't be long before his ROI contract's up either... jus' sayin'!

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

This summer seems to hinge on Mick doesn’t it? on 10:13 - Jun 30 with 4274 viewsfactual_blue

This summer seems to hinge on Mick doesn’t it? on 09:49 - Jun 30 by footers

Won't be long before his ROI contract's up either... jus' sayin'!

I'm sure we all have our fingers crossed.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

He'll be getting better offers.... on 10:26 - Jun 30 with 4224 viewsBloots

This summer seems to hinge on Mick doesn’t it? on 10:13 - Jun 30 by factual_blue

I'm sure we all have our fingers crossed.

….than a club fighting to stay in the football league.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

He'll be getting better offers.... on 10:27 - Jun 30 with 4220 viewsfactual_blue

He'll be getting better offers.... on 10:26 - Jun 30 by Bloots

….than a club fighting to stay in the football league.

..and plenty from numbskull-free clubs....

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

He'll be getting better offers.... on 10:30 - Jun 30 with 4190 viewspointofblue

He'll be getting better offers.... on 10:27 - Jun 30 by factual_blue

I don’t think such a club exists.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

He'll be getting better offers.... on 10:31 - Jun 30 with 4190 viewsfooters

He'll be getting better offers.... on 10:27 - Jun 30 by factual_blue

Is this going to be like the FC United of Manchester thing? Half of us stay with the old, rotten club while the others go off to form 'Proper Blokes with Hairy Arses FC' with MM in charge?

This summer seems to hinge on Mick doesn’t it? on 10:31 - Jun 30 with 4192 viewsHipsterectomy

I have to say I'm not sure why the media decided to ram it down that fans fell out with Mick towards the end. Middlesbrough fans had parties when Tony Pulis, arguarbly a much more successful pioneer of McCarthy-ball, was sacked. From what I saw, fans of other clubs were praising the decision, congratulating Boro fans etc.

I even checked the Forest forum thinking they would be livid that MO'N was sacked. The majority were thankful and now looking forward to the new season as his style of football is garbage.

It proves how awful Ipswich as a club is that anything other than bottom 3 of Championship is considered too good for us in recent years.

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

This summer seems to hinge on Mick doesn’t it? on 10:40 - Jun 30 with 4154 viewsclive_baker

I think this years accounts will hinge on that to an extent, but none of it will impact us on the pitch because I can’t see a penny of it being reinvested. It could all prove to be a very timely additional revenue stream, plugging the gap from lost TV revenues. If we can bounce back to the Championship at the first attempt, these sell on fees will go some way to negating any lasting damage from L1, and we could find ourselves this time next year better placed for an attempt at the championship than we have been since Mick. Confidence up, winning mentality, buoyed by a promotion season, the young players hopefully having kicked on for another year but still with that Championship know how, and a settled management team with some success to their name and fire in them. Such as Blackburn last season for example, who adjusted with relative ease back into the Championship.

Of course that’s a big IF, but you do feel like this is a pivotal year in the club’s history. Failure next season and we take a massive step towards levelling out in L1, in terms of personnel and ultimately competitiveness, as we did over a long period in the Championship from 2002.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

This summer seems to hinge on Mick doesn’t it? on 10:50 - Jun 30 with 4095 viewsitfcjoe

This summer seems to hinge on Mick doesn’t it? on 10:40 - Jun 30 by clive_baker

I think this years accounts will hinge on that to an extent, but none of it will impact us on the pitch because I can’t see a penny of it being reinvested. It could all prove to be a very timely additional revenue stream, plugging the gap from lost TV revenues. If we can bounce back to the Championship at the first attempt, these sell on fees will go some way to negating any lasting damage from L1, and we could find ourselves this time next year better placed for an attempt at the championship than we have been since Mick. Confidence up, winning mentality, buoyed by a promotion season, the young players hopefully having kicked on for another year but still with that Championship know how, and a settled management team with some success to their name and fire in them. Such as Blackburn last season for example, who adjusted with relative ease back into the Championship.

Of course that’s a big IF, but you do feel like this is a pivotal year in the club’s history. Failure next season and we take a massive step towards levelling out in L1, in terms of personnel and ultimately competitiveness, as we did over a long period in the Championship from 2002.

Spot on Clive, which way do you think we’ll go at the moment in this crossroads

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

This summer seems to hinge on Mick doesn’t it? on 10:59 - Jun 30 with 4058 viewsclive_baker

This summer seems to hinge on Mick doesn’t it? on 10:50 - Jun 30 by itfcjoe

Spot on Clive, which way do you think we’ll go at the moment in this crossroads

I like to consider myself fairly objective, but I genuinely think we should have too much about us this season. Certainly in terms of personnel (although full backs still concern me), and if Lambert can get his midfield balance right we could win games on that basis. Judge, Bishop, Huws, Nolan, Skuse would walk into any side at this level. Edwards, Lankester, Dozzell and Downes to a lesser extent, largely as they have it all to prove still, although potentially very important players for us. Sunderland have options there but I wouldn’t swap our squad for theirs. There’s a lot riding on Norwood, and I would like to see a loanee come in who can score goals and take some weight off his shoulders.

Honestly, a couple of choice additions, move a couple on (Jackson, Roberts etc), and I think we’ll finish top 2. Biggest challenge for me is mindset and cultivating a winning mentality.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2019 10:59]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

This summer seems to hinge on Mick doesn’t it? on 11:03 - Jun 30 with 4022 viewsGuthrum

This summer seems to hinge on Mick doesn’t it? on 10:31 - Jun 30 by Hipsterectomy

I have to say I'm not sure why the media decided to ram it down that fans fell out with Mick towards the end. Middlesbrough fans had parties when Tony Pulis, arguarbly a much more successful pioneer of McCarthy-ball, was sacked. From what I saw, fans of other clubs were praising the decision, congratulating Boro fans etc.

I even checked the Forest forum thinking they would be livid that MO'N was sacked. The majority were thankful and now looking forward to the new season as his style of football is garbage.

It proves how awful Ipswich as a club is that anything other than bottom 3 of Championship is considered too good for us in recent years.

'Be careful what you wish for' was a very catchy and evocative soundbite, the kind of cliche newspapers like to pick up and print as often as possible. Perhaps we were unfortunate that was said about us and so became stuck to our scenario with McCarthy.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

This summer seems to hinge on Mick doesn’t it? on 11:08 - Jun 30 with 3979 viewsGuthrum

For me, much of the "investment" will be in keeping the majority of our squad together, in terms of hirings only plugging a few gaps (e.g. Norwood).

We may have been a poor Championship team last season, but that still puts us at a better standard than most of League 1. Plus it doesn't dissipate the work which has been done so far in 2019.

That will be a better use of the funds than wholesale changes.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

This summer seems to hinge on Mick doesn’t it? on 11:10 - Jun 30 with 3981 viewsPhilTWTD

Indeed, I don't hear any talk of money from fees/sell-ons adding to PL's budget, indeed PL said as much the other day; free transfers remain where he will be doing his business.

Unless really very significant sums are brought in it'll help to reduce what's almost certain to be a shortfall in excess of the usual £6 million-ish this season.
This summer seems to hinge on Mick doesn’t it? on 11:46 - Jun 30 with 3851 viewsMullet

This summer seems to hinge on Mick doesn’t it? on 10:31 - Jun 30 by Hipsterectomy

Mainly because relatively speaking MM had been and continues to show in absentia he was a far greater manager for us.

The longer this has gone the greater the need for revision and explanations from those looking more and more silly.

This summer seems to hinge on Mick doesn’t it? on 11:48 - Jun 30 with 3835 viewsMullet

This is the question isn’t it? Just what will that money mean. With Mings we ran the club for maybe 18 months. This time though is it just cushioning what is already in place or will it be the bonus fans assume when they see talk of chunks of a million quid dripping in to the club here and there?

This summer seems to hinge on Mick doesn’t it? on 11:48 - Jun 30 with 3833 viewsDarth_Koont

I think that's because both Pulis and O'Neill had underperformed.

While it was obvious to anyone with a hole that Mick and the club were overperforming (and building up the squad value too). Of course, that didn't translate into much entertainment but last year was even worse on that score.

Pronouns: He/Him

This summer seems to hinge on Mick doesn’t it? on 12:00 - Jun 30 with 3794 viewsBrixtonBlue

The money's a bonus and Mick was a decent spotter of players on occasion, but let's not overplay this. Our season doesn't hinge on the extra money as it's likely none of it will go on players. It hinges on Lambert and what he can do with the players we have now.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

This summer seems to hinge on Mick doesn’t it? on 12:53 - Jun 30 with 3590 viewsKeaneish

This summer seems to hinge on Mick doesn’t it? on 11:03 - Jun 30 by Guthrum

'Be careful what you wish for' was a very catchy and evocative soundbite, the kind of cliche newspapers like to pick up and print as often as possible. Perhaps we were unfortunate that was said about us and so became stuck to our scenario with McCarthy.

Yeah spot on. My friend was the editor of the Evening Post in Bristol and he still uses that sound bite when we meet for a pint. It grates on me now as much as it when it was first conceived.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

This summer seems to hinge on Mick doesn’t it? on 13:05 - Jun 30 with 3543 viewsJ2BLUE

If we don't go up next season I really fear for us. Frankly, even if we do go up, the numbers aren't going to change. Evans isn't going to change. We are also rans until someone buys the club from him. it's just a case of which division we try and stabilise in. Look at how many are excited by the prospect of winning the third division or Checkatrade trophy (including me to be honest). We're Stoke just a league lower.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

He'll be getting better offers.... on 13:06 - Jun 30 with 3537 viewspickles110564

He'll be getting better offers.... on 10:31 - Jun 30 by footers

Is this going to be like the FC United of Manchester thing? Half of us stay with the old, rotten club while the others go off to form 'Proper Blokes with Hairy Arses FC' with MM in charge?

Very true Footers so many of you clasping on to the past instead of the bright new future.
He'll be getting better offers.... on 13:08 - Jun 30 with 3532 viewsDarth_Koont

He'll be getting better offers.... on 13:06 - Jun 30 by pickles110564

Very true Footers so many of you clasping on to the past instead of the bright new future.

Pronouns: He/Him

He'll be getting better offers.... on 13:16 - Jun 30 with 3502 viewsfooters

He'll be getting better offers.... on 13:06 - Jun 30 by pickles110564

Which way did you vote in the referendum again?

This summer seems to hinge on Mick doesn’t it? on 13:28 - Jun 30 with 3469 viewsSE1blue

I think up until MMs departure the media had looked upon us quite fondly; the cosy Cobbold year’s with interesting boardroom stories from rural England, Alf, Bobby, Burley’s Tractor Boy’s etc.

We then employ MM, a personable character with funny anecdotes, who also has a misty eyed past (the Irish at the WC) and immediately it’s almost like boy meets girl next door in sleepy Suffolk for the press.

Relationship ends badly and as he departs, MM’s comments of how rude we were are easily heard and ultimately proven correct. Like the disgraced ex partner, we’ve gone on screwing up and nobody wants to listen to “But MM never did this...we never got that...”.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2019 13:29]

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

This summer seems to hinge on Mick doesn’t it? on 14:54 - Jun 30 with 3323 viewsFtnfwest

The latter two were ‘developed’ out of all proportion by Bristol City and portsmouth compared to under MM. Mind you at least we’ll be able to now cover a bit of the £1m+ a year + bonuses from his contract
This summer seems to hinge on Mick doesn’t it? on 15:29 - Jun 30 with 3259 viewsSuperfrans

This summer seems to hinge on Mick doesn’t it? on 10:59 - Jun 30 by clive_baker

I like to consider myself fairly objective, but I genuinely think we should have too much about us this season. Certainly in terms of personnel (although full backs still concern me), and if Lambert can get his midfield balance right we could win games on that basis. Judge, Bishop, Huws, Nolan, Skuse would walk into any side at this level. Edwards, Lankester, Dozzell and Downes to a lesser extent, largely as they have it all to prove still, although potentially very important players for us. Sunderland have options there but I wouldn’t swap our squad for theirs. There’s a lot riding on Norwood, and I would like to see a loanee come in who can score goals and take some weight off his shoulders.

Honestly, a couple of choice additions, move a couple on (Jackson, Roberts etc), and I think we’ll finish top 2. Biggest challenge for me is mindset and cultivating a winning mentality.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2019 10:59]

Two very good posts, spot on imho.

I personally can’t imagine us finishing top two, but that’s possibly because it has been such a dispiriting past decade or so, I can’t imagine it. That’s not wat we do, is it?

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024