Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 'be careful what you wish for' reference 21:17 - Dec 3 with 2816 viewsSE1blue

When MM said this, I understood it to mean that he (Mick McCarthy) was the difference between us falling ever further. That if he were gone, the lack of investment, the poor infrastructure of the club and the direction we were headed would accelerate our demise because he was working wonders on a shoestring.

So for Evans to quote this in his statement is utterly bizarre and reflects more on our owner than the supporters.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 21:20 - Dec 3 with 2767 viewsPinewoodblue

Perhaps he was making reference to his next attempt to get the right manager.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 21:22 - Dec 3 with 2745 viewsTractorWood

That reference was so unnecessary. He doesn't even make an identifiable point from it.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 21:25 - Dec 3 with 2727 viewsSE1blue

The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 21:22 - Dec 3 by TractorWood

That reference was so unnecessary. He doesn't even make an identifiable point from it.

I think he knows it touches a nerve.

Again, making it an interesting move.

The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 21:32 - Dec 3 with 2680 viewsSouperJim

The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 21:25 - Dec 3 by SE1blue

I think he knows it touches a nerve.

Again, making it an interesting move.

He's clearly implying that we forced McCarthy out and warning that further calamity will follow if we don't climb back in our box like good little consumers.

He's trying to buy more time for project Lambert and thinks he can divide the fanbase by having us bicker amongst ourselves.

He woefully underestimates just how hacked off so many of us are. This isn't a minority of fans. The polls suggest it's 90%+. By releasing such a tone deaf statement he's actually just stoking the flames.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 22:29 - Dec 3 with 2561 viewsKeaneish

The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 21:32 - Dec 3 by SouperJim

He's clearly implying that we forced McCarthy out and warning that further calamity will follow if we don't climb back in our box like good little consumers.

He's trying to buy more time for project Lambert and thinks he can divide the fanbase by having us bicker amongst ourselves.

He woefully underestimates just how hacked off so many of us are. This isn't a minority of fans. The polls suggest it's 90%+. By releasing such a tone deaf statement he's actually just stoking the flames.

ME didn’t even have the courage to sack him, McCarthy resigned. Unless he asked MM to do it, which would make his comment even more woeful for McCarthy and for us.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 22:33 - Dec 3 with 2527 viewspointofblue

The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 22:29 - Dec 3 by Keaneish

ME didn’t even have the courage to sack him, McCarthy resigned. Unless he asked MM to do it, which would make his comment even more woeful for McCarthy and for us.

I thought Evans decided not to renew Mick’s contract and then Mick resigned after the abuse he got for subbing Cotter against Barnsley (though it was growing before then).

If we could go back to that night - or even before the announcement he was leaving - I wonder how we would have reacted towards him had we known what would happen after he left?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 22:35 - Dec 3 with 2515 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 21:22 - Dec 3 by TractorWood

The identifiable point is that any appointment he makes will be worse than Lambert.

Be careful what you wish for because I can take this club even lower than it currently is.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 22:42 - Dec 3 with 2480 viewsRyorry

The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 22:35 - Dec 3 by Nthsuffolkblue

The identifiable point is that any appointment he makes will be worse than Lambert.

Be careful what you wish for because I can take this club even lower than it currently is.

That would be shocking, and really quite despicable, if you're correct.

Not just admitting his incompetence (tho he probably didn't realise that's how it would come across) but showing immaturity & petulance - not what you want or expect from a CEO, and further decreases any kind of confidence in him.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 22:46 - Dec 3 with 2457 viewsSpruceMoose

I'd love it if they could couldn't find takers for the 2,000 seats at the next home game. I'd laugh my knob off. Even if I could go, wild horses couldn't drag me there.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 22:56 - Dec 3 with 2424 viewsPhilTWTD

Was actually Ian Holloway who said it first, if I remember rightly.

Holloway: Careful What You Wish For 28th Nov 2016 06:00
“Careful what you wish for,” was QPR boss Ian Holloway’s message to Mick McCarthy’s detractors after the Blues’ 3-0 defeat of his side at Portman Road on Saturday. 52

The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 22:57 - Dec 3 with 2402 viewswkj

The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 22:56 - Dec 3 by PhilTWTD

“Careful what you wish for,” was QPR boss Ian Holloway’s message to Mick McCarthy’s detractors after the Blues’ 3-0 defeat of his side at Portman Road on Saturday. 52

Suddenly the collective hearts and minds of ITFC fans explode.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

See my post above... on 23:01 - Dec 3 with 2379 viewsunstableblue

... that is the worst paragraph of his statement.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 23:03 - Dec 3 with 2362 viewspointofblue

Reading the comments under that article is quite something.

The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 23:06 - Dec 3 with 2348 viewspatrickswell

Indeed, I don’t think Mick ever said it himself.
The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 23:07 - Dec 3 with 2338 viewspointofblue

The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 23:06 - Dec 3 by patrickswell

Indeed, I don’t think Mick ever said it himself.

He did:

McCarthy: Be Careful What You Wish For 8th Apr 2016 06:00
Town boss Mick McCarthy says Brentford’s less successful campaign having jettisoned manager Mark Warburton and undergone major upheaval last summer might be a case of ‘Be careful what you wish for’. Some Blues supporters have called for a change at Portman Road after recent results and performances. The 14th-placed Bees visit Suffolk on Saturday afternoon. 57

The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 23:09 - Dec 3 with 2326 viewsSouperJim

And ironically what Olly was actually saying at the time was don't blame Mick, he's doing a good job, look at what he's dealing with - an owner who sells any decent players from under him and wants to invest as little as possible.

Maybe we should have listened, but not to the dangers of losing patience with the manager, the dangers of remaining patient with the owner.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 23:11 - Dec 3 with 2308 viewswkj

The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 23:09 - Dec 3 by SouperJim

And ironically what Olly was actually saying at the time was don't blame Mick, he's doing a good job, look at what he's dealing with - an owner who sells any decent players from under him and wants to invest as little as possible.

Maybe we should have listened, but not to the dangers of losing patience with the manager, the dangers of remaining patient with the owner.

I must admit I turned on Mick when the FA Cup replay at Lincoln ended. I still maintain the choice was best for all parties for him to go, but I don't hate the man like some do. He just ran out of steam at the end, it may be because of those reasons you list.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 12:25 - Dec 4 with 1995 viewspatrickswell

The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 23:07 - Dec 3 by pointofblue

He did:

Town boss Mick McCarthy says Brentford’s less successful campaign having jettisoned manager Mark Warburton and undergone major upheaval last summer might be a case of ‘Be careful what you wish for’. Some Blues supporters have called for a change at Portman Road after recent results and performances. The 14th-placed Bees visit Suffolk on Saturday afternoon. 57

Ah, those heady innocent days of 2016. At least Brentford made it work after hastily jettisoning Dikhuizen. Dean Smith and Thomas Frank got it back on track. Hurst wreaked damage and Lambert hasn't repaired it. But it could also be argued that Brentford had a plan to work to from a position of strength while we keep making stuff up on the hoof as we sink further and further.

The January transfer window of that season, let alone the one before, was when the scales fell from my eyes regarding Evans and his intentions. We were in the top 6 in January 2016, but players like Parr and Oar were permitted to leave with no permanent replacements coming in.
The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 12:30 - Dec 4 with 1982 viewsSwansea_Blue

The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 23:07 - Dec 3 by pointofblue

He did:

And well before Holloway. Although I'm not clear whether Mick was specifically referring to us or generally talking about clubs struggling with injuries and fans needed to understand that.

And yes, the comments under Holloway's interview are something else.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 12:34 - Dec 4 with 1957 viewsKropotkin123

Exactly. Well said.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 12:42 - Dec 4 with 1914 viewsBeckets

What Evans appears to have forgotten is that the fans put money into the club and the manager takes it out not the other way round.
The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 13:38 - Dec 4 with 1868 viewsMalcolmBlue

It's a truly bizarre one because at the end of the day the buck stops with him...and speaking of bucks, it's his bucks that are on the line so to go down a route that could cost him dearly financially and nonchalantly spout the 'be careful what you wish for' line is just a pointless petty dig at the fans.

At the end of the day, if he had half a clue he wouldn't be our chairman/owner anymore...his whole plan was to get us up and sell us on as quickly as possible. So for him to still be here 10 years later and for us to be further away from the premier league than when he arrived here reflects incredibly poorly on him.

He can spout the 'be careful what you wish for' nonsense to the fans but with the benefit of hindsight the 'be careful what you wish for' era began when Sheepshanks sold the club.

Poll: Is Theresa May the "Paul Hurst" of politics?

The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 14:08 - Dec 4 with 1837 viewsKeaneish

The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 22:33 - Dec 3 by pointofblue

I thought Evans decided not to renew Mick’s contract and then Mick resigned after the abuse he got for subbing Cotter against Barnsley (though it was growing before then).

If we could go back to that night - or even before the announcement he was leaving - I wonder how we would have reacted towards him had we known what would happen after he left?

Ah yes, you’re right. MM then walked before the end.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 15:20 - Dec 4 with 1755 viewsEireannach_gorm

I think Holloway's comment applies even more to Lambert/Evans.

"I hope you don’t mind and I hope you don’t think I’m making a big story of it, all I’m trying to say is just sometimes have a little look where you were and have a little think about who you’re having a go at."
The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 15:28 - Dec 4 with 1736 viewsSE1blue

The 'be careful what you wish for' reference on 15:20 - Dec 4 by Eireannach_gorm

I think Holloway's comment applies even more to Lambert/Evans.

"I hope you don’t mind and I hope you don’t think I’m making a big story of it, all I’m trying to say is just sometimes have a little look where you were and have a little think about who you’re having a go at."

It was definitely directed at how Evans was running things at the time McCarthy said it - albeit a message to fans to be scared of what'll happen if he (MM) were sacked.

MM was already grumbling about the lack of opportunity to improve the squad and the club's infrastructure when he said his infamous line.

Evans has just quoted a guy that was pointing the finger indirectly and negatively at him. I'd say you couldn't write it, but it's been 13 years of this.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024