Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
'Marquee' Loan Signing 09:25 - Aug 6 with 5978 viewsCaptMickMills

Once Premiership/Championship transfer window closed on Thursday is there any chance of Ipswich getting a 'marquee' loan signing similar to Gio, Fraser, Lawrence, Williams, Celina etc. Someone potentially too good for League One but needs experience.

Whilst I am in favour of reducing overall number of loans someone similar to the above would be beneficial especially if a flair player who could score or make a goal out of nothing.

Once Premiership/Championship transfer window closes Ipswich are then one of the most appealing loan destinations for young stars-in-the-making and for their clubs.
'Marquee' Loan Signing on 09:30 - Aug 6 with 4665 viewsBlueBlood90

I personally don't understand the problem with signing players on loan.

I'd much rather we signed a brilliant loan player than a poor/average permanent player.

As long as you don't have 6 or 7 loans then I don't see the problem.

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

'Marquee' Loan Signing on 09:32 - Aug 6 with 4637 viewsGuthrum

'Marquee' Loan Signing on 09:30 - Aug 6 by BlueBlood90

I'd much rather we signed a brilliant loan player than a poor/average permanent player.

Agreed. And as long as they are not blocking the development of our own talented young players.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

'Marquee' Loan Signing on 09:44 - Aug 6 with 4559 viewsWD19

Agree. Hopefully a fearless young full back.

Unfortunately out biggest need is a bettering ram centre forward/plan B. They are not the type of players you get from the U23 of a top club on loan.
'Marquee' Loan Signing on 09:47 - Aug 6 with 4530 viewsSamWhiteUK

Lawrence got 2 for Derby last night, what a player he was. Could carry our squad. He's the sort of guy we need, someone who can take the game by the scruff of the neck and control it.
'Marquee' Loan Signing on 09:49 - Aug 6 with 4525 viewsFixed_It

'Marquee' Loan Signing on 09:32 - Aug 6 by Guthrum

Agreed. And as long as they are not blocking the development of our own talented young players.

And here is the issue. Everyone is crying out for a new CB signing (loan or permanent), yet where does that leave Wolfenden, bearing in mind Chambo is set to return and Toto will be back in a few weeks? I also don't have an issue with a quality loan signing - but it does hold back the development of our own players.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

'Marquee' Loan Signing on 09:54 - Aug 6 with 4493 viewsGooders7592

Leon Clarke is still on Shef Utd books. He'd be a fantastic loan signing.
'Marquee' Loan Signing on 09:54 - Aug 6 with 4493 viewsBluefish

Loan signings are not free. You can pay hefty loan fees and make nothing if the players value increases. It should be used to top up a squad but we have been doing it as a panic measure to build half a squad

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

'Marquee' Loan Signing on 09:55 - Aug 6 with 4482 viewsRadlett_blue

'Marquee' Loan Signing on 09:49 - Aug 6 by Fixed_It

And here is the issue. Everyone is crying out for a new CB signing (loan or permanent), yet where does that leave Wolfenden, bearing in mind Chambo is set to return and Toto will be back in a few weeks? I also don't have an issue with a quality loan signing - but it does hold back the development of our own players.

Loan players are always chancy as clubs only loan out players who aren't the finished article & need experience. He have had a few young players from PL clubs who weren't up to it & some that were, but I do remember criticism of Ashley Maitland Niles when he was here and also of Tom Lawrence.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

'Marquee' Loan Signing on 10:06 - Aug 6 with 4393 viewsxrayspecs

We do not need a marque signing, especially if they are a midfielder like those listed below.

We need a target man/centre forward as back up to Norwood and Jackson (and hopefully Sears too)

A couple of full backs would not go amiss if we conclude that Donacien/Emmanuel and Kenlock are not good enough for us at this level. I suspect it will be one, a LB, as Wilson could cover/play at RB.

I would not rule out Skuse dropping into a full back slot once Huws is fully fit.
'Marquee' Loan Signing on 10:07 - Aug 6 with 4392 viewsMrTown

'Marquee' Loan Signing on 09:54 - Aug 6 by Gooders7592

Leon Clarke is still on Shef Utd books. He'd be a fantastic loan signing.

Prefer the suggestion of Fraser Campbell on a permanent deal someone suggested him yesterday.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

'Marquee' Loan Signing on 10:13 - Aug 6 with 4323 viewsGooders7592

'Marquee' Loan Signing on 10:07 - Aug 6 by MrTown

Prefer the suggestion of Fraser Campbell on a permanent deal someone suggested him yesterday.

I was thinking Clarke is more of a 'Target Man' than Campbell.

Clarke & Norwood up top would be a horrible partnership to play against (if played together!)
'Marquee' Loan Signing on 10:23 - Aug 6 with 4275 viewsElephantintheRoom

Well how about the fact that you are strengthening the competition and weakening your own club by signing players you are only developing for other teams? And harming your own players and creating long term problems - eg a club like Ipswich Town who have been over-reliant on cheap options and simultaneously sold their own disillusioned players too cheap. In truth getting excited by loan players moonlighting at a club is not far removed from supporting another club.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

'Marquee' Loan Signing on 11:13 - Aug 6 with 4069 viewsBlueBlood90

'Marquee' Loan Signing on 10:23 - Aug 6 by ElephantintheRoom

Well how about the fact that you are strengthening the competition and weakening your own club by signing players you are only developing for other teams? And harming your own players and creating long term problems - eg a club like Ipswich Town who have been over-reliant on cheap options and simultaneously sold their own disillusioned players too cheap. In truth getting excited by loan players moonlighting at a club is not far removed from supporting another club.

But if we already had players who were good enough then they would be playing and we wouldn't need any signings would we?

Just because they're 'one of our own' it doesn't make them a good player or ready to cope with 50-60 games a year at this level.

Players like Clarke/Marriott etc should've been given time to develop/mature or even loaned out to get 50-100 games under their belts and come back better players who are ready for the first team.

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

'Marquee' Loan Signing on 11:16 - Aug 6 with 4035 viewsitfcjoe

I'd hope not, loans can be used to plug gaps but they shouldn't be used as key parts of the squad.

Look at all these mega deals going through at the moment, anything that blocks the progress of youngsters with potential is madness.

Look at Jack Marriott, he sat on the bench whilst we watched Connor Sammon not hitting a barn door up top, had JM been given those opportunities would we have been any worse off? What benefit have we received from Tom Lawrence's loan spell as good as he was?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

'Marquee' Loan Signing on 11:23 - Aug 6 with 4011 viewsHerbivore

'Marquee' Loan Signing on 11:16 - Aug 6 by itfcjoe

I'd hope not, loans can be used to plug gaps but they shouldn't be used as key parts of the squad.

Look at all these mega deals going through at the moment, anything that blocks the progress of youngsters with potential is madness.

Look at Jack Marriott, he sat on the bench whilst we watched Connor Sammon not hitting a barn door up top, had JM been given those opportunities would we have been any worse off? What benefit have we received from Tom Lawrence's loan spell as good as he was?

That said I wouldn't be against a loan striker on the basis that our two best young prospects in that position are both longterm injured. In some ways a loan might then be preferable to a permanent signing if a permanent signing is going to be a journeyman squad player.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

'Marquee' Loan Signing on 11:50 - Aug 6 with 3918 viewstextbackup

i'd like to add, me and others said exactly this at the time (last paragraph) but were shot down in flames

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

'Marquee' Loan Signing on 12:25 - Aug 6 with 3811 viewsOsborneOneNil

Lawrence, plus others, all they did was keep MM in a job for another year. They were the plasters being used to keep us in the Champ. It's what PL now alludes to in that we had no 'plan' in place, no soul, we were a side who used 6/7 loans just to keep our heads above water.
'Marquee' Loan Signing on 12:42 - Aug 6 with 3723 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

We will undoubtedly get a couple more loans in the coming weeks, but people really need to temper their expectations as to the quality that they’ll be...

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

'Marquee' Loan Signing on 12:46 - Aug 6 with 3699 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I don’t see anything wrong with having a marquee loan or 2 to bring some quality to the side that you otherwise can’t afford. It’s not just us that have been doing that and a lot of teams have been promoted in recent years with such an approach

There is clearly a balance though - and one I still fear we’ll end up the wrong side of this season where I expect us to have another couple of loans in by the time the window shuts, but minus the quality of what we’ve had in previous years

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

'Marquee' Loan Signing on 12:48 - Aug 6 with 3677 viewstractorboy1978

I agree about the likes of Sammon. Without Lawrence though we could well have been relegated earlier than we were. Loan signings need to be a marked improvement on what you have. Not saying we could finance a deal for Murphy but not sure people would turn him down on a season long loan deal?
'Marquee' Loan Signing on 12:53 - Aug 6 with 3639 viewsThatMuhrenCross

If it's not going to be possible to get the permanent signings we want, then one or two loans will be essential. I'd like to see the club just go and make Garbutt a permanent signing before the window closes - I doubt Everton would want a fee and he seems to have slotted in well.

The key thing is not hindering the development of our own players. League One is a great opportunity for many of them to get experience.

That said, a right-back and an alternative striker option would be good.... why not get James Bree back? Would all parties be open to that? Also... I know it's already been said, but how about Daryl Murphy? With those two additions, I'd be very happy with our squad for the season ahead.

Poll: Ipswich offer you 10k a week, Norwich offer you 20k. Who do you join?
Blog: The Cashless Debate

'Marquee' Loan Signing on 12:54 - Aug 6 with 3629 viewstractorboy1978

'Marquee' Loan Signing on 12:53 - Aug 6 by ThatMuhrenCross

If it's not going to be possible to get the permanent signings we want, then one or two loans will be essential. I'd like to see the club just go and make Garbutt a permanent signing before the window closes - I doubt Everton would want a fee and he seems to have slotted in well.

The key thing is not hindering the development of our own players. League One is a great opportunity for many of them to get experience.

That said, a right-back and an alternative striker option would be good.... why not get James Bree back? Would all parties be open to that? Also... I know it's already been said, but how about Daryl Murphy? With those two additions, I'd be very happy with our squad for the season ahead.

I imagine Garbutt is quite keen to keep earning his £28k (reported) a week wages.
'Marquee' Loan Signing on 13:13 - Aug 6 with 3551 viewsWhymarkmariner

McCarthy brought in some fabulous players, but what happened when they went ? Some, as with Fraser resurrected his career and many ended up making their clubs far more money than they would have had we not brought them on. The problem Town face is that top notch players aren't going to be looking to come to a league One side. So that leaves you with players that might make it or players that are surplus to their teams requirements, unless of course you pay over the odds for another League One player. As for loans, well you might get a decent Championship or even a Premier player, but their wages won't be peanuts and your back to the situation where they are gone at the end of the season and then you have to find replacements again.
'Marquee' Loan Signing on 13:15 - Aug 6 with 3538 viewsNthQldITFC

Depends on the context of the club's situation for me.

A club struggling to stay up might want to splash out on some big loans in desperation (a la last season), but for a club that looks in a decent position already, maybe just a bit short in a couple of positions, we really ought to be developing our own players (from academy or signings) and carrying a relative weakness in those positions, as long as we can still compete. Even if it theoretically might cost us a few points (compared with having a top-notch loan).

January might be the time to reassess if we are a bit adrift of top two, but for now I'd much rather the team continues to gel, compete and develop at the same time.

Always a risk of introducing a bit of discontent into a happy team with a high-paid loanee as well, no matter how well chosen.

I'd rather be 5 points worse off in January, but with 5 months valuable experience in the bag for one of our own.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

'Marquee' Loan Signing on 13:26 - Aug 6 with 3447 viewsitfcjoe

'Marquee' Loan Signing on 11:23 - Aug 6 by Herbivore

That said I wouldn't be against a loan striker on the basis that our two best young prospects in that position are both longterm injured. In some ways a loan might then be preferable to a permanent signing if a permanent signing is going to be a journeyman squad player.

Think that is fair enough, like the Norris loan to cover Bart

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024