Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What do we do about our defence? 21:55 - Oct 25 with 5351 viewspointofblue

Tonight was very poor. And we give away chances due to errors every game, even if Walton or bad finishing helps us out.

Although it's harsh, our best period was probably with a back three of Donacien - Woolfenden - Burgess, but I'd argue Edmundson has been our best defender of late. A lack of Morsy no doubt hurt us tonight, especially as Ball did nothing to stake a claim.

Maybe I am being unfair but it feels like we should be more stable, and have been more stable, than we are at the moment.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

What do we do about our defence? on 21:56 - Oct 25 with 3567 viewshomer_123

Yep, you are being unfair.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

What do we do about our defence? on 21:57 - Oct 25 with 3533 viewsWallingford_Boy

Flat back four? Play four actual defenders.

4-2-3-1

Would suit our players perfectly.

RIP Sir Bobby

What do we do about our defence? on 21:58 - Oct 25 with 3492 viewstheinbetweener

No need to wet the bed, we won.

There’ll be good days, there’ll be off days. It happens.

But, we won. A very difficult away game as the other “big” clubs have found out already.

No need to panic here.
What do we do about our defence? on 22:02 - Oct 25 with 3409 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Didn't Keogh come on before Burgess? And if he didn't wasn't Edmondson on the pitch still? I don't think we ever had a back three of Donacien - Woolfenden - Burgess.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

What do we do about our defence? on 22:03 - Oct 25 with 3386 viewsNthsuffolkblue

What do we do about our defence? on 21:57 - Oct 25 by Wallingford_Boy

4-2-3-1

I would say our results suggest the current system suits them pretty well.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

What do we do about our defence? on 22:03 - Oct 25 with 3386 viewspointofblue

What do we do about our defence? on 22:02 - Oct 25 by Nthsuffolkblue

Didn't Keogh come on before Burgess? And if he didn't wasn't Edmondson on the pitch still? I don't think we ever had a back three of Donacien - Woolfenden - Burgess.

Not tonight - earlier in the season.

What do we do about our defence? on 22:03 - Oct 25 with 3382 viewskizaitfc

For 99% of that game the defence were solid, dealt with a bullet throw with ease and tidied everything when Port Vale were going for it in the final 10.

Just need to stop those little lapses in concentration

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

What do we do about our defence? on 22:04 - Oct 25 with 3333 viewsFrimleyBlue

Personally think it'll be better once Burgess goes back in.

I wasn't a big fan. But he came in and soon became a rock with his height. Calmness and his left foot gives us more balance.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Login to get fewer ads

What do we do about our defence? on 22:05 - Oct 25 with 3331 viewspointofblue

What do we do about our defence? on 22:04 - Oct 25 by FrimleyBlue

Personally think it'll be better once Burgess goes back in.

I wasn't a big fan. But he came in and soon became a rock with his height. Calmness and his left foot gives us more balance.

That's what I'm feeling - just seems harsh on Edmundson who, as I said, I think has been the strongest member of the back three of late. Unless we drop Woolfenden and move Edmundson to the centre.

What do we do about our defence? on 22:06 - Oct 25 with 3303 viewsDJR

What do we do about our defence? on 22:03 - Oct 25 by kizaitfc

For 99% of that game the defence were solid, dealt with a bullet throw with ease and tidied everything when Port Vale were going for it in the final 10.

Just need to stop those little lapses in concentration

I'm not sure they're really lapses in concentration. There's always a risk of conceding from balls pumped into the box, and most of the goals we have conceded recently have fallen rather well for the opposition.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2022 22:07]
What do we do about our defence? on 22:07 - Oct 25 with 3286 viewsVic

Only 3 teams have conceded less than us. I’m not sure we need to do anything about it at the mo - but we do seem to concede more than we did. And for the first few games of the season I was confident we’d hold onto a lead - but I’m not now! So your question is understandable, it not really fair.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

What do we do about our defence? on 22:08 - Oct 25 with 3254 viewsstrikalite

Keep the ball better would help...

keep giving it away and any defence is under pressure..
What do we do about our defence? on 22:10 - Oct 25 with 3213 viewsLeoMuff

What do we do about our defence? on 22:07 - Oct 25 by Vic

Only 3 teams have conceded less than us. I’m not sure we need to do anything about it at the mo - but we do seem to concede more than we did. And for the first few games of the season I was confident we’d hold onto a lead - but I’m not now! So your question is understandable, it not really fair.

I think we have sacrificed a bit of defensive solidity to allow us to get forward more and we are a much better side for it.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

What do we do about our defence? on 22:11 - Oct 25 with 3183 viewsSomethingBlue

Not too worried on the back of tonight — tough opponent who were always going to ask questions and with some significant absentees we just had to get through it. Feels like a fairly big win in the circumstances.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

What do we do about our defence? on 22:12 - Oct 25 with 3162 viewsGlasgowBlue

What do we do about our defence? on 22:03 - Oct 25 by pointofblue

Not tonight - earlier in the season.

I do think Donacien is vulnerable at the moment. Fridge and Woolfy have been class for the past few games. Thy struggled with PV tonight but KM fixed that.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

What do we do about our defence? on 22:12 - Oct 25 with 3158 viewsclive_baker

I think it’s less the defence and more the hole in front of them tonight. Morsy was always going to be a miss but I wasn’t overly impressed with Ball, especially after we took the lead.

Depending on how much he’s got in his tank I would keep Humphreys in for Charlton and bring Morsy back in for Ball tbh.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

What do we do about our defence? on 22:16 - Oct 25 with 3066 viewspointofblue

What do we do about our defence? on 22:12 - Oct 25 by GlasgowBlue

I do think Donacien is vulnerable at the moment. Fridge and Woolfy have been class for the past few games. Thy struggled with PV tonight but KM fixed that.

I think Donacien is the most difficult defender to replace, especially with KVY out. Whilst I think Woolfenden struggled tonight, and obviously made an error which led to the second goal via a corner, he has been good in the last few matches. Donacien has been slightly off for a few games now.

What do we do about our defence? on 22:30 - Oct 25 with 2960 viewsBlueBadger

What do we do about our defence? on 21:57 - Oct 25 by Wallingford_Boy

4-2-3-1

Does 4 at the back hold us back? by BlueBadger 25 Oct 2022 17:50
We've only lost twice, are top scorers in the division and are amongst the fewest conceded. I'd say probably not.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

What do we do about our defence? on 23:17 - Oct 25 with 2747 viewsCrawfordsboot

I thought that generally we did pretty well. We played some good football and scored a couple of cracking goals. I was in a home stand and the people around me thought we were different class. We played football whilst basically their plan was to lump it in the mixer at every opportunity. Inevitably that led to them having a few chances but I never felt we were going to lose.
I am just loving the style of play this season.
What do we do about our defence? on 23:26 - Oct 25 with 2688 viewsbournemouthblue

What do we do about our defence? on 22:02 - Oct 25 by Nthsuffolkblue

Donacien whilst always pretty solid was a bit more wasteful on the ball tonight, I don't think the pitch helped in fairness to him and he got better as the game went on

McKenna actually finished with KVY in JD's position against Lincoln, I suppose that's only really an option if you are going out and out attack

You could bring KVY on for Burns in tighter games when we are defending for more sustained periods, I appreciate McKenna is probably quite happy for Burns to remain up the pitch if there's a counter attacking option, when an opponent is chasing the game and he feels they are particularly vulnerable to it

I have no probably with results tonight, as long as we are doing the business

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

What do we do about our defence? on 00:01 - Oct 26 with 2590 viewsFromReuserWithLove

What do we do about our defence? on 23:17 - Oct 25 by Crawfordsboot

I thought that generally we did pretty well. We played some good football and scored a couple of cracking goals. I was in a home stand and the people around me thought we were different class. We played football whilst basically their plan was to lump it in the mixer at every opportunity. Inevitably that led to them having a few chances but I never felt we were going to lose.
I am just loving the style of play this season.

I think we play the right way but there is no denying that when the oppo go direct we can struggle. I think we lack a vocal organiser at the back who will steamroller everything to win the ball. This is where Keogh steps in and probably why Burgess was starting to stand out. Woolf is lovely in possession but wanting in the battle imo.

Funnily enough I've seen a lot of Vale comments stating how good we are but noting our shaky defence.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2022 10:53]
What do we do about our defence? on 00:12 - Oct 26 with 2546 viewsRyorry

What do we do about our defence? on 22:03 - Oct 25 by Nthsuffolkblue

I particularly liked how *all* our players got seriously, energetically, determinedly stuck in with helping out defensively when needed tonight after our third, good team effort there. I don't watch that many games but even so, it struck me as something we've not always been up for before.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2022 0:39]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

What do we do about our defence? on 00:27 - Oct 26 with 2508 viewsWallingford_Boy

What do we do about our defence? on 22:03 - Oct 25 by Nthsuffolkblue

That wasn’t the question.

Cheeky

RIP Sir Bobby

What do we do about our defence? on 00:57 - Oct 26 with 2435 viewspointofblue

What do we do about our defence? on 00:01 - Oct 26 by FromReuserWithLove

I think we play the right way but there is no denying that when the oppo go direct we can struggle. I think we lack a vocal organiser at the back who will steamroller everything to win the ball. This is where Keogh steps in and probably why Burgess was starting to stand out. Woolf is lovely in possession but wanting in the battle imo.

Funnily enough I've seen a lot of Vale comments stating how good we are but noting our shaky defence.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2022 10:53]

Previously I’d agree with you, but I think Woolfenden’s issue now is more concentration. He’s gone up against some strong strikers this year and matched them in a physical battle - Matt Smith is the one which stands out, and he only scored when Woolfenden was moved off him to accommodate Keogh (a very rare tactical error from McKenna IMO).

I do think, with a touch more experience, the likes of Keogh and Burgess are better than the current three at organising the back line, and we struggled with that tonight.

What do we do about our defence? on 04:34 - Oct 26 with 2334 viewsnorfsufblue

I'd suggest, the last few minutes before the end of a half is not the time to be persisting with knocking it around at the back.... thay are unlikely to score if they are retrieving the ball frfrom high up in the back of the stand at their end of the pitch.... crude but effective
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024