Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lack of Passion says Osman. 06:44 - Oct 24 with 23082 viewsWestSussexBlue

This surely starts with MM and TC, are they motivating the players enough, it’s not the first time we’ve looked flat after half time. Lincoln Away was a classic example.
I would have liked to see a Magilton type in the dressing room at HT.
Lack of Passion says Osman. on 12:42 - Oct 24 with 5671 viewsHerbivore

Lack of Passion says Osman. on 12:15 - Oct 24 by LankHenners

Citing 'lack of passion' is a very lazy criticism when talking about football matches - the players are all professionals, I'm sure they all wanted to win the game. And besides, a failure to take our chances in the 1st half played a big part in the result.

However, whilst Norwich's set-up in the 2nd half and Adeyemi/Garner's tiring didn't help us, there was a very noticeable drop in performance levels after the goal, with several players playing very casual , aimless passes that went straight to them. I'm not talking about 'hoofing' as such either, just very slack play in general.

Arguably our best quality under Mick was the ability to rally after going behind to come back and win the game. Last season a lot of games were over as soon as the opposition scored the first goal (in fact, did we actually win once after conceding the 1st goal?), and this season's in danger of drifting the same way. It's well and good saying 'the opposition played well' 'goals change games' etc. but as recently as 2 years ago as a team we'd have poo-pooed those words and gone 'fck this, we're getting 3 points here'.

I don't disagree but I can't help but wonder whether the atmosphere didn't help. It had been reasonably buoyant (by modern PR standards) up to the goal and it went a mixture of flat and negative for the rest of the game. We were playing a high tempo game and when the atmosphere goes flat it becomes harder to sustain that. I think everyone was deflated by conceding a sloppy goal to a side known to be adept at grinding out ugly wins in a game that, at that time, we should have been winning. It sucked some belief from the fans and the players that we could win the game from there.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Lack of Passion says Osman. on 12:46 - Oct 24 with 5657 viewschristiand

Lack of Passion says Osman. on 12:42 - Oct 24 by Herbivore

I don't disagree but I can't help but wonder whether the atmosphere didn't help. It had been reasonably buoyant (by modern PR standards) up to the goal and it went a mixture of flat and negative for the rest of the game. We were playing a high tempo game and when the atmosphere goes flat it becomes harder to sustain that. I think everyone was deflated by conceding a sloppy goal to a side known to be adept at grinding out ugly wins in a game that, at that time, we should have been winning. It sucked some belief from the fans and the players that we could win the game from there.

We didn't come out in the second half full stop Herbivore, this was before Norwich scored. Was it more a fitness issue? They did work hard in that first half closing Norwich down, but we did have a few coming back from injury in key roles - Garner, Adeyemi etc...perhaps they just ran out of gas?

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Lack of Passion says Osman. on 12:52 - Oct 24 with 5635 viewsHerbivore

Lack of Passion says Osman. on 12:46 - Oct 24 by christiand

We didn't come out in the second half full stop Herbivore, this was before Norwich scored. Was it more a fitness issue? They did work hard in that first half closing Norwich down, but we did have a few coming back from injury in key roles - Garner, Adeyemi etc...perhaps they just ran out of gas?

I don't think that's true. Didz had a decent half chance before they scored and although the game was tighter we were we'll in it. I think Norwich upped the gamesmanship to break the game up even before they scored but we were still having some joy prior to the goal. After that it was crap, although we still mustered a few half chances even playing badly.

Lack of Passion says Osman. on 13:03 - Oct 24 with 5611 viewsJ4ck22

Lack of Passion says Osman. on 12:42 - Oct 24 by Herbivore

The fans might as well have left after the Norwich goal, that's how useless we were at helping our team get back into it. For all the people slamming the team for having no passion or effort, the fans gave up just was easily.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2017 13:04]
Lack of Passion says Osman. on 13:14 - Oct 24 with 5589 viewsHerbivore

Lack of Passion says Osman. on 13:03 - Oct 24 by J4ck22

The fans might as well have left after the Norwich goal, that's how useless we were at helping our team get back into it. For all the people slamming the team for having no passion or effort, the fans gave up just was easily.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2017 13:04]

It happens when we fill the ground with ten thousand plastics.

Lack of Passion says Osman. on 13:14 - Oct 24 with 5589 viewsTractorWood

Lack of Passion says Osman. on 12:46 - Oct 24 by christiand

Norwich seemed more settled and were slicker than us with the ball. As you allude to, the high energy, pressing game relies on great fitness but also pressing at the right times and in the situations. It didn't look like a lack of passion it felt more like a gulf in ability and a tactical mismatch against a side who came with a plan. You can rue our missed chances, injuries or whatever but I'd say you play that game again and again, and we'd win very few of them.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Lack of Passion says Osman. on 13:17 - Oct 24 with 5579 viewsLeoMuff

Lack of Passion says Osman. on 12:35 - Oct 24 by WestSussexBlue

Exactly, The players looked well up for it from the start, I think it’s lack of drive and motivation from the manager at HT, maybe it’s just not his style but as I say, I reckon Magilton would have been the sort to be screaming for them to get the job done. His Blue blood always shone through.

For me MM got his tactics completely wrong, they had 5 in the middle and 1 up front, we had 3 midfielders and a striker, hence they could snuff us out in the middle and pass all around us.

Our passion and motivation looked good to me, just 2 men short in the middle of the park.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Lack of Passion says Osman. on 13:23 - Oct 24 with 5565 viewsJohnny_Boy

Lack of Passion says Osman. on 12:35 - Oct 24 by Sarge

Which is a disgrace because there were plenty of fouls worthy of at least a yellow. The ref was abysmal.

It wasn't the ref that caused us to lose, it was our inability to take our chances infront of goal & the excessive HOOFBALL which meant we lost possession as soon as our defenders launched it up to our forwards.
Login to get fewer ads

Lack of Passion says Osman. on 13:33 - Oct 24 with 5532 viewsSarge

Lack of Passion says Osman. on 13:23 - Oct 24 by Johnny_Boy

It wasn't the ref that caused us to lose, it was our inability to take our chances infront of goal & the excessive HOOFBALL which meant we lost possession as soon as our defenders launched it up to our forwards.

I know. It's a separate point that the ref was crap.
Lack of Passion says Osman. on 13:34 - Oct 24 with 5527 viewsSpruceMoose

Lack of Passion says Osman. on 13:14 - Oct 24 by Herbivore

Would you rather the ground was half empty and silent as usual, or nearly full and silent?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Lack of Passion says Osman. on 14:27 - Oct 24 with 5497 viewsCoco

Moron

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Lack of Passion says Osman. on 15:24 - Oct 24 with 5460 viewsTractorWood

Yeah. The Cobbold will be rocking against Preston.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Lack of Passion says Osman. on 15:33 - Oct 24 with 5449 viewsRyorry

Lack of Passion says Osman. on 11:19 - Oct 24 by Superfrans

I saw this from Osman and I thought it was, frankly, garbage and a low blow from someone who should know better.

One of the few things you could argue in favour of our current crop of players is that they don't waltz around the pitch, without a care in the world. They put in a shift and work as hard as any other players possibly could. We have a captain in Chambers who lives and breathes the club, likewise Knudsen, Skuse, Bart, even newer players like Waghorn, Garner, Spence etc don't lack effort. By all means, we can talk about the ability of the players or how they are set up to play, but passion isn't lacking at all imho.

Just because players don't run about the pitch roaring and screaming doesn't mean they don't have passion. I have a huge amount of commitment and passion for my job, but I don't scream and roar, I work hard, take my work home with me (both literally and mentally) and give everything I can to do my job to the best of my god-given talents (such as they are).

I think there's a confusion in this thread between "lack of passion" and our heads going down (and never coming back up) after they scored. The latter is a psychological state which players themselves alone may not be able to rectify without the assistance of others (manager, no. 2, captain), whereas players themselves can always *show* passion by running around furiously. Not sure which Osman meant, but I'm referring to the latter in my comments here.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Lack of Passion says Osman. on 15:42 - Oct 24 with 5434 viewstractorshark

I think the players are too used to listening to the same voice now.
It needs a change, all things come to an end, good or bad.
We have youth coming through and a squad with potential but Mick won’t take us any further.
Whatever his critics say, he’s done a decent job in trying circumstances.
He’s made mistakes but has had little financial backing.
Ironically, he was at his best 2-3 seasons ago when the restraints were even tighter but Evans failed him then. At least Mick had a gameplan, though.
Now it looks like he’s throwing the pieces up in the air and hoping they come down in the right order.
There’s still very little cohesion, direction, creativity or pace in the side. McGoldrick is gifted but gives constant reminders why he isn’t playing in the Prem.
I’m not sure I trust Evans to find a decent replacement but it has to happen.
My prediction is McCarthy will announce he’s going in April once we’re safe.
I don’t believe we owe him anything, nor does he owe us.
I only hope, with a few years of hindsight, his reign is looked at more fondly than it is now. He deserves that.
Lack of Passion says Osman. on 15:46 - Oct 24 with 5426 viewsitfcjoe

Lack of Passion says Osman. on 15:42 - Oct 24 by tractorshark

We have youth coming through and a squad with potential but Mick won’t take us any further.
Ironically, he was at his best 2-3 seasons ago when the restraints were even tighter but Evans failed him then. At least Mick had a gameplan, though.
Now it looks like he’s throwing the pieces up in the air and hoping they come down in the right order.
There’s still very little cohesion, direction, creativity or pace in the side. McGoldrick is gifted but gives constant reminders why he isn’t playing in the Prem.
I only hope, with a few years of hindsight, his reign is looked at more fondly than it is now. He deserves that.

Agree with all of that

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Sounds about right..... on 15:53 - Oct 24 with 5422 viewsBloots

....but then begs the obvious question.

Unfortunately.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Lack of Passion says Osman. on 16:12 - Oct 24 with 5397 viewsBluesquid

Lack of Passion says Osman. on 09:14 - Oct 24 by artsbossbeard

I don't expect for a minute that an experienced manager & coach would have done nothing more than attempt to motivate the team at half time but for whatever reason, something simply didn't click and a formation/player change was required. Didn't happen 'til much too late.

I do laugh though when fans talk of being patient and in the same breath talk of not renewing their season ticket. The irony isn't lost on most.

"something simply didn't click"

Something hasn't clicked...for ages.

He should of gone last season.

Could be that Mick's too pally with the players, with his favorites?

You'll hear criticism from Mick but only toward a select few, the majority escape it and then it will be levelled at the team instead. He won't see what must of us can see. Look at Sunday. Remember when he said a couple of seasons ago that the defense has been outstanding when it was leaking goals?

It's almost as if he doesn't want to rock the boat.

Players have got it too good, too easy.
Lack of Passion says Osman. on 16:40 - Oct 24 with 5367 viewsSuperfrans

Lack of Passion says Osman. on 13:34 - Oct 24 by SpruceMoose

Would you rather the ground was half empty and silent as usual, or nearly full and silent?

Personally, I'd prefer that the kind of fans who were booing our players and telling them to shove off (or similar phrases) as they came to applaud the SBR stand at the end on Sunday don't come back. I don't care how much money they spend on tickets, it was stupid and out of order.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Lack of Passion says Osman. on 17:02 - Oct 24 with 5355 viewssundaze

Ah yes, but this is because there were so many on here last week claiming that it was unthinkable that anyone should not be going to Portman Road for the big match. I was waiting for the first post about "plastics", supporters are damned for staying away, yet if the ground fills up as demanded, those same supporters are "plastics".
Next season there will be even more "plastics", unless there is a total rethink at Town, supporters are tired with it all, many choose to watch local football, luckily we have many very good teams dotted around the county providing good entertainment at clubs where they value supporters. Luckily for Town, last Sunday there were no local games being played.
Lack of Passion says Osman. on 17:09 - Oct 24 with 5343 viewsstrikalite

Lack of Passion says Osman. on 10:52 - Oct 24 by TractorJack

Quality and composure were bigger factors for me.

This.

All this talk of passion and getting stuck in are the least of our worries....their quality on the ball means you can't get near them, little one touches etc...

We can't string five passes together, I watched Chambers under no pressure whatsoever on about 60 minutes just simply pass the ball back to them from 15 yards....it beggars belief...and that's only one misplaced pass, there were a lot, always is..
Lack of Passion says Osman. on 17:33 - Oct 24 with 5316 viewschristiand

Lack of Passion says Osman. on 12:40 - Oct 24 by Superfrans

Of course, the way we were defending last September (when we conceded 2 goals in 7 games) we were doing what Norwich have been doing recently - well organised, saftey first, scraping wins and draws. The difference is that they have quality on the ball and on the break, which enables them to sneak wins in games like Sundays.

This season, we're more open at the back because we're attacking more than we were - not majority of possession, more shots and more corners than the budgies on Sunday. This is what we asked for.

But none of that has anything to do with lack of passion.

That's interesting Superfrans more attempts possibly, but on target alas no.

With 10 minutes to go Sky Sports put up the stats regarding attempts

Attempts at goal:
Ipswich 9
Norwich 10

Attempts on target:
Ipswich 0
Norwich 6

Those statistics may have changed come the end of the game. However, if you can't get any efforts on target you simply aren't going to win any games. The fact we are more open at the back is because we are playing a better brand of football is mythical. It comes down to the fact, we aren't that great at defending. Whether that's a problem with the team or simply the defenders aren't up to it I'm not sure. Having players playing in the right position might help to, instead of trying to shoe-horn certain players in but then lose a key facet of that position because they aren't an out and out winger, doesn't help either.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Lack of Passion says Osman. on 17:41 - Oct 24 with 5304 viewsportmanking

Absolutely right.

I think the first line is particularly important. MM's team talks probably become more like white noise after five seasons, with very little effect. It just needs freshening up and MM himself would probably agree if he didn't have a juicy six-figure contract.
Lack of Passion says Osman. on 18:14 - Oct 24 with 5277 viewsKeaneish

For a team playing five across the middle, why were we so narrow in the second half given the scum got men behind the ball. Another football basic, surely?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Lack of Passion says Osman. on 18:25 - Oct 24 with 5263 viewsBenters

Lack of Passion says Osman. on 13:23 - Oct 24 by Johnny_Boy

This.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Lack of Passion says Osman. on 21:15 - Oct 24 with 5215 viewsHerbivore

Lack of Passion says Osman. on 16:40 - Oct 24 by Superfrans

Personally, I'd prefer that the kind of fans who were booing our players and telling them to shove off (or similar phrases) as they came to applaud the SBR stand at the end on Sunday don't come back. I don't care how much money they spend on tickets, it was stupid and out of order.

Agreed. It was embarrassing from some.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024