Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? 17:51 - Oct 28 with 20261 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

With Winter fast approaching, I was just wondering what the coldest football game you have ever been to is and how you dealt with it?

I want to give a shoutout to someone back in 2015 vs Wolves at home who was doing laps of the concourse at half time to "warm his feet up". True story.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 23:55 - Oct 28 with 5132 viewstextbackup

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 23:26 - Oct 28 by Ryorry

Was also there for that Boro game, we might've been sitting next to each other!

Do you remember singing "thank you very much for Alun Armstrong' to the tune of 'Aintree Iron' at them? Enjoyed that!

I do! lol.... for some doppy reason we decided to wear Hawaiian shirts for this game....

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 06:46 - Oct 29 with 5069 viewsbluelagos

Oldham away in the early 90s. No roof, edge of moors, p*ssing it down whilst getting stuffed. Twtd.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 07:24 - Oct 29 with 5053 viewsThe_Major

Southampton at The Dell in the Cup in I think 90/91. Rain. Hail. Gale. Open terrace.

Also an honourable mention for standing in a blizzard at Oakwell after being gubbed 2-0 by Barnsley in the Cup the year before. Kept in afterwards as per usual, snow comes down, PA falls silent, floodlights switched off.

"Oi! We're still here!"
Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 07:29 - Oct 29 with 5050 viewshampstead_blue

Leicester when Scotland scored.

We sat in the family area. Our then youngest wore skinny jeans and converse. The train journey was awful, my then girlfriend, now wife, said at half time....we're leaving.

We were all frozen.

Bristol City away last year.
The day before a tonne of snow fell. It was dry, bright, and brutally cold.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 07:31 - Oct 29 with 5051 viewsJohnny_Boy

2008, maybe. February. Olympicstadium, Berlin.
Hertha lost to someone, can’t remember who they played now.
But, it was the coldest I’ve ever been. Even with a long winter jacket, gloves, scarf & hat.
I thought my feet were going to fall off.
Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 08:52 - Oct 29 with 5020 viewsCoastalblue

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 18:11 - Oct 28 by Mullet

Must be something about the Gas as the game in the 90's with horizontal hale whipping in would be mine.

That and Coventry away when we won in the last minute and the M6 was a death trap heading north.

That Rovers game would be one of mine too, as well as a few others by the looks of things. I remember being astounded they were still playing in the hail because I literally couldn't see anything when the wind really gusted and it felt like my face was being shot blasted.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 08:53 - Oct 29 with 5018 viewshampstead_blue

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 07:24 - Oct 29 by The_Major

Southampton at The Dell in the Cup in I think 90/91. Rain. Hail. Gale. Open terrace.

Also an honourable mention for standing in a blizzard at Oakwell after being gubbed 2-0 by Barnsley in the Cup the year before. Kept in afterwards as per usual, snow comes down, PA falls silent, floodlights switched off.

"Oi! We're still here!"

that open stand at Oakwell was brutal.
On top of a hill and open to whatever foul weather Yorkshire decides to share.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 09:31 - Oct 29 with 4994 viewsbrazil1982

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 18:19 - Oct 28 by southnorfolkblue

Oldham v Millwall back in the 90s. Was up there on a pre season cricket tour. Our match was abandoned when the sight screen flipped over, so I decided to take in some footie. Never experienced cold like it. Still the only game I’ve been to where the wind took a keepers kick and blew it back over his head for a corner

If this game ended 0-0 I was there too. Awful match and very cold.

Hearts v Partick Thistle Feb 2018 for me, a snow covered Edinburgh. So very, very cold. It was so cold I could drink the half time coffee which usually needs 20 minutes to cool down from nuclear.

I also attended a Linfield game in Belfast one February and ended up in the club house, just too cold to stay outside.
Login to get fewer ads

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 09:46 - Oct 29 with 4979 viewsgainsboroughblue

Portsmouth in 1989.

Hailstones the size of snooker balls. Players taken off field.

We were 2-1 down at the time but turned it round to win.

Scenes and a half.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 09:57 - Oct 29 with 4972 viewsITFC_Forever

Bristol Rovers in the FAC 3rd Round, January 1998.

Couple of Charltons on New Years Day as well were pretty cold, but that may have been due to large hangovers and inadequate clothing on my part. Although the one in 2002 did have a shortened half-time to prevent the pitch freezing, so it must have been pretty cold.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 10:12 - Oct 29 with 4959 viewsRyorry

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 23:55 - Oct 28 by textbackup

I do! lol.... for some doppy reason we decided to wear Hawaiian shirts for this game....

Hah, you defo weren't sitting next to me then, yer dafty loons!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 10:15 - Oct 29 with 4956 viewsitfcjoe

Not Association Football, but American Football....was at Soldier Field in the snow a few years back and the temperature was, according to my iPhone app at the temperature of 'feels like' -22c.

Luckily the people sitting in front of us were kind and prepared and helped look after my wife by things like:

- A piece of cardboard to put under your feet so they don't get as cold (not sure why this works)
- Those hand heater things to put in boots and gloves

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 10:21 - Oct 29 with 4948 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Leiston v Fleetwood in the FA Cup.

Howling wind. Freezing temperatures. Heavy rain. Standing by a rail. Absolutely horrendous conditions. Coldest I have ever felt in my life. Longest couple of hours I have ever known.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 10:29 - Oct 29 with 4942 viewsitfcjoe

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 10:21 - Oct 29 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Leiston v Fleetwood in the FA Cup.

Howling wind. Freezing temperatures. Heavy rain. Standing by a rail. Absolutely horrendous conditions. Coldest I have ever felt in my life. Longest couple of hours I have ever known.

I watched a Suffolk Cup game at Kirkley & Pakefield last yea which was like being in the antartic

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 10:54 - Oct 29 with 4921 viewsLesta_Tractor

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 19:44 - Oct 28 by WickhamsLeftBoot

Wigan at home, Christmas 2004, changed to an unbearably cold Tuesday night for Sky, fog rolled in at some point.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2020 0:40]

Was that the game when Leighton Baines scored a screamer?

That was bloody freezing!

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 10:57 - Oct 29 with 4918 viewsBrixtonBlue

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 08:52 - Oct 29 by Coastalblue

That Rovers game would be one of mine too, as well as a few others by the looks of things. I remember being astounded they were still playing in the hail because I literally couldn't see anything when the wind really gusted and it felt like my face was being shot blasted.

Another vote for Bristol Rovers here. I seem to remember Dyer taking an outswinging corner that was whipped towards the goal like a bullet by the wind and smashed against the crossbar. Absolutely mental conditions.

For one that hasn't been mentioned yet, Accrington in the FA cup last season was bloody cold too.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 11:17 - Oct 29 with 4909 viewsGogs

I remember being really cold at a game at stoke in about 97. And the home league cup semi against Birmingham in 2001, somebody stood near me remarked he was ‘so cold you could grate cheese on my scrotum’.
Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 11:39 - Oct 29 with 4897 viewsIpswichKnight

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 18:34 - Oct 28 by FPL_Tractor

Charlton away, possibly New Year’s Day. 90s or 00s, not sure. Frozen. Anyone else remember it?

Yes they cut short 1/2 time to make sure the game finished before the pitch froze, think Ian Marshall scored a stunner for a 1-0 win.
Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 11:42 - Oct 29 with 4894 viewsIpswichKnight

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 10:57 - Oct 29 by BrixtonBlue

Another vote for Bristol Rovers here. I seem to remember Dyer taking an outswinging corner that was whipped towards the goal like a bullet by the wind and smashed against the crossbar. Absolutely mental conditions.

For one that hasn't been mentioned yet, Accrington in the FA cup last season was bloody cold too.

Wasn't that cold, was miserable mainly as we were donkey poo for the entire game.
Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 11:46 - Oct 29 with 4888 viewsReuser_is_God

England u21s played Czech Republic at PR one night in the late 90's & it was fcuking freezing.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 12:30 - Oct 29 with 4854 viewsBrixtonBlue

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 11:42 - Oct 29 by IpswichKnight

Wasn't that cold, was miserable mainly as we were donkey poo for the entire game.

Maybe I'm getting old but I was bloody freezing on that open terrace.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 12:34 - Oct 29 with 4845 viewsmonytowbray

In recent memory Lincoln away in the cup was pretty grim.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 13:04 - Oct 29 with 4820 viewsIpswichKnight

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 12:30 - Oct 29 by BrixtonBlue

Maybe I'm getting old but I was bloody freezing on that open terrace.

I wasn't too bad standing right by the pitch. Maybe I don't remember the cold as the pain of watching us was worse!

I fully expect Rochdale away next week to be cold.
Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 13:17 - Oct 29 with 4804 viewsTractorBoyOlly

Got to be the Leicester game at home on Sky in Keane's days. I think we won 3-0 but the snow on the pitch was ridiculous. I remember walking out on 60 minutes even though we were winning because I didn't know how I was going to get home. They had to keep repainting the lines blue! PR itself was about 1/2 foot deep in snow, crazy!

Poll: Final points total?

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 15:03 - Oct 29 with 4773 viewsBrixtonBlue

Coldest football Match you have ever been to?? on 13:04 - Oct 29 by IpswichKnight

I wasn't too bad standing right by the pitch. Maybe I don't remember the cold as the pain of watching us was worse!

I fully expect Rochdale away next week to be cold.

I was also sober so didn't have the benefit of a beer blanket!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024