Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Helluva statement from XR... 00:38 - Sep 5 with 24791 viewsmonytowbray

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/sep/04/extinction-rebellion-block-r

In before the right wing miss the point of the protest to incorrectly rant about cancel culture.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Helluva statement from XR... on 10:53 - Sep 5 with 5034 viewsEdmundo

Helluva statement from XR... on 09:21 - Sep 5 by GaryCooper

Do you agree with XR founder Roger Hallam when he states that people who do not agree with XR should have a bullet through their heads?

To be fair, it would solve the climate problem. And that's his single stated aim. :-)

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

Helluva statement from XR... on 11:03 - Sep 5 with 5019 viewsSwansea_Blue

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Helluva statement from XR... on 11:06 - Sep 5 with 5017 viewsleitrimblue

Helluva statement from XR... on 09:21 - Sep 5 by GaryCooper

Do you agree with XR founder Roger Hallam when he states that people who do not agree with XR should have a bullet through their heads?

It's not Rogers fault some people don't get dark humor?
Helluva statement from XR... on 11:56 - Sep 5 with 4963 viewsRyorry

Helluva statement from XR... on 09:00 - Sep 5 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Having got past my initial ‘that’s clever in 2020 LOL’ reaction, I actually think this is a pretty clever protest

It’s doesn’t really inconvenience anyone other than the press themselves and whilst paper sales are dwindling there’s still enough to hit some rich people in the pocket slightly. And given that it’s the press it will no doubt get plenty of exposure from the press via other channels. Think ‘Helluva statement’ may be stretching it though

*This*.

I didn't see all of the series on Murdoch, but the biggest thing that came out of it for me in my memory is his massive influence and culpability re denial of climate change - his biggest crime in a whole book of crimes imho.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Helluva statement from XR... on 12:49 - Sep 5 with 4891 viewsmonytowbray

Helluva statement from XR... on 11:56 - Sep 5 by Ryorry

*This*.

I didn't see all of the series on Murdoch, but the biggest thing that came out of it for me in my memory is his massive influence and culpability re denial of climate change - his biggest crime in a whole book of crimes imho.

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/01/15/rupert-murdochs-son-reveals-the-climate-chang

Imagine being angry and shouting ATERK ERN TER FEER PERSS like ol’ Patel was this morning. The Tories are angry their taxpayer investment into the printing press won’t be spoonfeeding bullsh1t to dumb people today.

TWTD never forgets…

Helluva statement from XR... on 12:51 - Sep 5 with 4883 viewsmonytowbray

Helluva statement from XR... on 11:03 - Sep 5 by Swansea_Blue

Fat finger downvote soz.

TWTD never forgets…

Helluva statement from XR... on 13:12 - Sep 5 with 4801 viewsJ2BLUE

Helluva statement from XR... on 09:00 - Sep 5 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Having got past my initial ‘that’s clever in 2020 LOL’ reaction, I actually think this is a pretty clever protest

It’s doesn’t really inconvenience anyone other than the press themselves and whilst paper sales are dwindling there’s still enough to hit some rich people in the pocket slightly. And given that it’s the press it will no doubt get plenty of exposure from the press via other channels. Think ‘Helluva statement’ may be stretching it though

It's unfortunate that local papers have also been affected but yea I agree.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Helluva statement from XR... on 13:54 - Sep 5 with 4728 viewsnodge_blue

Helluva statement from XR... on 07:00 - Sep 5 by Edmundo

Probably their best bit of work. Hate Murdoch, ever since the NOTW was taken down... only to be replaced by th he Sunday Sun. And the same hackers being used as freelancers.

Well I get the Times which is a very balanced paper. I don't see why I should be stopped from receiving that. Its got left wing journalists like Caitlin Moran.

Society is splitting because of stupid actions like this. People need to get back in the middle and see these issues in shades of grey and find consensus for ways forward.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Login to get fewer ads

Helluva statement from XR... on 13:57 - Sep 5 with 4720 viewsDarth_Koont

Helluva statement from XR... on 13:54 - Sep 5 by nodge_blue

Well I get the Times which is a very balanced paper. I don't see why I should be stopped from receiving that. Its got left wing journalists like Caitlin Moran.

Society is splitting because of stupid actions like this. People need to get back in the middle and see these issues in shades of grey and find consensus for ways forward.

There's been consensus for years on climate change and the urgent need for action. Yet not nearly enough has happened or been demanded by voters.

This placid, ignorant and self-centred version of society needs to wake up.

Pronouns: He/Him

Helluva statement from XR... on 14:28 - Sep 5 with 4649 viewsnodge_blue

Helluva statement from XR... on 13:57 - Sep 5 by Darth_Koont

There's been consensus for years on climate change and the urgent need for action. Yet not nearly enough has happened or been demanded by voters.

This placid, ignorant and self-centred version of society needs to wake up.

I don't disagree with your sentiment but stopping me reading the times doesn't achieve that.

And also - this is a democracy. No one has the right to impose their own world view on others in a democracy which has formed its own set of laws. That should apply to Trump as well as XR.

And when direct action is taken that breaks those democratic principles it just fuels the right to push back like Trump.

Its self defeating and splits society further which ultimately achieves nothing.

Helluva statement from XR... on 14:34 - Sep 5 with 4630 viewsDarth_Koont

Helluva statement from XR... on 14:28 - Sep 5 by nodge_blue

I don't disagree with your sentiment but stopping me reading the times doesn't achieve that.

And also - this is a democracy. No one has the right to impose their own world view on others in a democracy which has formed its own set of laws. That should apply to Trump as well as XR.

And when direct action is taken that breaks those democratic principles it just fuels the right to push back like Trump.

Its self defeating and splits society further which ultimately achieves nothing.

But as we see with several of the movements using civil disobedience above, much needed change is often despite the democratic majority.

Democracies still have to deal with minority views on the merits of the arguments, not just ignore them because they've got the numbers.

Helluva statement from XR... on 14:43 - Sep 5 with 4614 viewsnodge_blue

Helluva statement from XR... on 14:34 - Sep 5 by Darth_Koont

But as we see with several of the movements using civil disobedience above, much needed change is often despite the democratic majority.

Democracies still have to deal with minority views on the merits of the arguments, not just ignore them because they've got the numbers.

It depends how you define dealing with minority views. If you mean listening to them and considering them then yes.

If you mean tolerating actions that are effectively illegal then no.

Otherwise your argument would have to accept Tommy Robinson and his bunch doing whatever they do.

Unless we stop this tug of war, the right will only pull back harder. Thats what's happening really with Trump. We need more people to find sensible ways forward in the middle ground.

Helluva statement from XR... on 14:49 - Sep 5 with 4607 viewsDarth_Koont

Helluva statement from XR... on 14:43 - Sep 5 by nodge_blue

It depends how you define dealing with minority views. If you mean listening to them and considering them then yes.

If you mean tolerating actions that are effectively illegal then no.

Otherwise your argument would have to accept Tommy Robinson and his bunch doing whatever they do.

Unless we stop this tug of war, the right will only pull back harder. Thats what's happening really with Trump. We need more people to find sensible ways forward in the middle ground.

But that's what civil disobedience is for, to force change. If it's the will of the democratic majority then it's not needed.

Much as I think Tommy Robinson and his ilk are misguided and dangerous it's still their right to demonstrate and protest. Society's failing is by not addressing those views and debunking them (or for recognizing the underlying disillusionment and disenfranchisment that drives them).

We're far too dozy a society in many ways and we wake up when it's too late.

Helluva statement from XR... on 14:52 - Sep 5 with 4596 viewsRyorry

It's not about stopping individuals reading their paper, it's about hitting out at the Murdochs, who've been foisting their own extraordinarily damaging world view on others for decades.

Indirect action has mostly failed, excepting a successful campaign or two by influential individuals such as Sir D Attenborough with his TV series which woke the world up to the destruction caused by plastics.

On the whole, major corps have been able to carry on their oil-guzzling etc activities while the majority of ordinary people just shrug their shoulders & say "I know but what can we do". Time to hit the Murdochs of this world any legal way possible.

I've always said that protest shouldn't alienatate those who the protestors want on their side, but I think you have to accept a bit of (let's face it, very minor) inconvenience for the sake of trying to prevent what would be one hell of a bigger "inconvenience" if the point of the pendulum goes past irreversible damage to our environment in terms of the CO2 out there/climate change.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Helluva statement from XR... on 14:53 - Sep 5 with 4589 viewsDarth_Koont

Helluva statement from XR... on 14:52 - Sep 5 by Ryorry

It's not about stopping individuals reading their paper, it's about hitting out at the Murdochs, who've been foisting their own extraordinarily damaging world view on others for decades.

Indirect action has mostly failed, excepting a successful campaign or two by influential individuals such as Sir D Attenborough with his TV series which woke the world up to the destruction caused by plastics.

On the whole, major corps have been able to carry on their oil-guzzling etc activities while the majority of ordinary people just shrug their shoulders & say "I know but what can we do". Time to hit the Murdochs of this world any legal way possible.

I've always said that protest shouldn't alienatate those who the protestors want on their side, but I think you have to accept a bit of (let's face it, very minor) inconvenience for the sake of trying to prevent what would be one hell of a bigger "inconvenience" if the point of the pendulum goes past irreversible damage to our environment in terms of the CO2 out there/climate change.

Well said.

Helluva statement from XR... on 15:13 - Sep 5 with 4554 viewsnodge_blue

Helluva statement from XR... on 14:52 - Sep 5 by Ryorry

Again I support your sentiment. I do quite alot to personally change my lifestyle to lead a greener life. Because I am convinced of the arguments and evidence. Not flown for more than 2 years. Only do about 3000 mile a year in the car. Cycle or take public transport. Grow many flowers in the garden to encourage wild life. Volunteer at a community organic farm project. I probably do more than most who take this so called direct action.

I don't mind not reading a paper today. Even though Ive paid for it. But what about the next time or the time after? When does it become an attack on democracy?

And does anyone really believe this will change what China or India or Russia or USA or Brazil do?

Helluva statement from XR... on 16:18 - Sep 5 with 4520 viewsjontysnut

Helluva statement from XR... on 07:15 - Sep 5 by Edmundo

Probably their best bit of work. Hate Murdoch, ever since the NOTW was taken down... only to be replaced by the Sunday Sun. And the same hackers being used as freelancers. And don't forget his actions have skewed football and left it to the money men.

I remember joining the Saturday night picket during the Wapping dispute when Murdoch got rid of hot metal printers. Pretty lively with mounted police charges. No one seemed to worry then about the impact on local businesses - cafes, sandwich bars, shops, pubs etc. Perhaps if there had been a Pret in Grimethorpe they'd have kept the pit open.
Helluva statement from XR... on 00:12 - Sep 6 with 4441 viewsStNeotsBlue

Helluva statement from XR... on 07:26 - Sep 5 by monytowbray

How is it detrimental exactly? I’d argue if one understands the full extent of why they are protesting then nothing is enough until people pay attention.

I probably didn't make my point very well as I'd been to the pub but the fact they're attacking the press didn't sit well with me. In the same way Tories demonising the BBC or if a load of Britain 1st types pulled a similar trick at The Guardian or the Morning Star.
Helluva statement from XR... on 00:18 - Sep 6 with 4441 viewsStNeotsBlue

Helluva statement from XR... on 08:46 - Sep 5 by EdwardStone

Protest has a long and honourable history in changing the minds of both public and politicians. I see the disruption as an essential part of our evolution as a society

I used to live in Newbury, Berks in the 1980s.....just down the hill from Greenham Common. The letters page of the local paper was rammed full of the kind of sentiment that you are putting forward, decrying the disruption that the protest caused. One such letter contained the memorable phrase "At least Cruise is clean "

The protestors carried on regardless and their efforts resulted in Cruise missiles being withdrawn and Greenham Common being returned to its rightful purpose of recreational space for the people of Newbury to take air and exercise

Totally agree with your first sentence.

It's a disgrace that so many hard fought for rights and benefits that have been achieved though protest and withdrawal of labour have been eroded inthe last few decades but I don't like the idea of attacking media because I don't agree with it.

As I said before the fact one man/corporation controls such a chunk of our press needs addressing.
Helluva statement from XR... on 01:37 - Sep 6 with 4398 viewsbournemouthblue

Helluva statement from XR... on 08:33 - Sep 5 by solomon

Lock down and Covid has not been kind to Extinction Rebellion though, with less people about there is far less to disrupt with any great daily impact, disrupting the printed word in the 21st century seems a bit odd and desperate considering we are in the digital age. I have no doubt their message is valid and warrants action I just fear they may be loosing direction on how best to get this over effectively?

So what you're saying is they should take their fight online and shutdown Newscorp's operations digitally?

I doubt that it was anything like ER but the National Centre for Cybersecurity was expecting coordinated attacks on government computer systems last week

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Helluva statement from XR... on 01:42 - Sep 6 with 4390 viewsbournemouthblue

If you want a democratic society, getting rid of Rupert Murdoch would be a good start

The media in the UK is far from free, the press barons still have a massive hold over the media here

A lot of the public can tell you previous x-factor winners but couldn't name as many of our current politicians

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Helluva statement from XR... on 11:26 - Sep 6 with 4285 viewshampstead_blue

Helluva statement from XR... on 08:46 - Sep 5 by EdwardStone

Protest has a long and honourable history in changing the minds of both public and politicians. I see the disruption as an essential part of our evolution as a society

I used to live in Newbury, Berks in the 1980s.....just down the hill from Greenham Common. The letters page of the local paper was rammed full of the kind of sentiment that you are putting forward, decrying the disruption that the protest caused. One such letter contained the memorable phrase "At least Cruise is clean "

The protestors carried on regardless and their efforts resulted in Cruise missiles being withdrawn and Greenham Common being returned to its rightful purpose of recreational space for the people of Newbury to take air and exercise

Greenham Common was something I recall well.
It was peaceful and didn't stop anything happening.

I think they cut fences but that was it.
They didn't stop people going about their business.

XR's protest at Murdoch is interesting.
What does Murdoch do to restrict getting the message of man-made climate change across?
Why exactly are they protesting him?
I can't get past the paywall on the Guardian piece so don't see the punchline.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Helluva statement from XR... on 11:33 - Sep 6 with 4264 viewsmonytowbray

Helluva statement from XR... on 11:26 - Sep 6 by hampstead_blue

Greenham Common was something I recall well.
It was peaceful and didn't stop anything happening.

I think they cut fences but that was it.
They didn't stop people going about their business.

XR's protest at Murdoch is interesting.
What does Murdoch do to restrict getting the message of man-made climate change across?
Why exactly are they protesting him?
I can't get past the paywall on the Guardian piece so don't see the punchline.

XR have answered these questions. Come on my man, you can Google!

https://extinctionrebellion.uk/2020/09/05/update-we-do-not-have-a-free-press/

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/01/15/rupert-murdochs-son-reveals-the-climate-chang

I saw this morning it’s taken the Tories less than 24 hours to defend the Murdochs with threats to use the law but still, years after becoming aware of foreign interference in elections, Johnson sticks by his lie that there’s no evidence of Russian influence despite it most the evidence being in the public eye.

Taking back control, le sigh.

TWTD never forgets…

Helluva statement from XR... on 11:41 - Sep 6 with 4244 viewshampstead_blue

Helluva statement from XR... on 11:33 - Sep 6 by monytowbray

XR have answered these questions. Come on my man, you can Google!

https://extinctionrebellion.uk/2020/09/05/update-we-do-not-have-a-free-press/

I saw this morning it’s taken the Tories less than 24 hours to defend the Murdochs with threats to use the law but still, years after becoming aware of foreign interference in elections, Johnson sticks by his lie that there’s no evidence of Russian influence despite it most the evidence being in the public eye.

Taking back control, le sigh.

Both links are about as balanced as an elephant sat on a see-saw.

I can google, as can anyone, google and find a radial view to support almost anything.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Helluva statement from XR... on 11:50 - Sep 6 with 4227 viewsSomethingBlue

Helluva statement from XR... on 11:41 - Sep 6 by hampstead_blue

Both links are about as balanced as an elephant sat on a see-saw.

I can google, as can anyone, google and find a radial view to support almost anything.

"I can google, as can anyone, google and find a radial view to support almost anything."

As you have proved on countless occasions.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024