Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sorry but imo. Defenders shouldn't be doing this 18:38 - Dec 16 with 3855 viewsFrimleyBlue

One slip and it's a goal conceded.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Sorry but imo. Defenders shouldn't be doing this on 18:52 - Dec 16 with 3344 viewsYallop

Cracking bit of magic. Good on him
Sorry but imo. Defenders shouldn't be doing this on 19:37 - Dec 16 with 3211 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The one he does just in front of his own box, I agree. The other two I have no issue with. I guess if he does it well enough and never loses the ball it isn't an issue but it did seem an unnecessary risk in front of his box.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Sorry but imo. Defenders shouldn't be doing this on 20:07 - Dec 16 with 3098 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Sorry but imo. Defenders shouldn't be doing this on 20:53 - Dec 16 with 2968 viewsSeablu

Sorry but imo. Defenders shouldn't be doing this on 20:07 - Dec 16 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

In about 25 years time, the hall of fame is going to have to make some retrospective additions.

The fact that Chambers is the nearest thing we’ve had to a legend since Counago, Bent & Kuqi is a damning indictment on the mediocrity that’s crawled through here in the last decade or so.
Sorry but imo. Defenders shouldn't be doing this on 21:37 - Dec 16 with 2830 viewsgiant_stow

That's a bit joyless innit?! Nice to a see a big lump twist!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Sorry but imo. Defenders shouldn't be doing this on 22:53 - Dec 16 with 2615 viewsMrTown

Agree

Edge of the box forget it, definitely not. Middle of the box, don’t like it either really. Leave that to the attacking midfielders and strikers. Defenders stick to defending first.

Again, something you’ll learn when he matures in his game, won’t benefit us but will benefit him when he gets caught out. Will learn etc.

I remember Garbutt doing similar away at Blackpool last year and get caught. Lambert when ballistic and rightly so, this is professional football, not a knock about in the park.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Sorry but imo. Defenders shouldn't be doing this on 07:12 - Dec 17 with 2433 viewsSaleAway

is this the same fanbase that complains that none of our players take a risk, always take the safe option, pass it sideways or backwards? Someone shows a bit of flair, and we're on them for taking risks.

Watching that was pretty much the only thing ITFC have done in ages that brought a smile to my face.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2020 7:12]

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Sorry but imo. Defenders shouldn't be doing this on 08:14 - Dec 17 with 2337 viewsGarv

Well we don't see midfielders or attackers doing this sort of thing, so why not a defender. Can't remember the last time someone tried to beat a man with a bit of skill.

Lighten up. Great stuff.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Login to get fewer ads

Sorry but imo. Defenders shouldn't be doing this on 08:35 - Dec 17 with 2274 viewspatrickswell

Sorry but imo. Defenders shouldn't be doing this on 20:53 - Dec 16 by Seablu

In about 25 years time, the hall of fame is going to have to make some retrospective additions.

The fact that Chambers is the nearest thing we’ve had to a legend since Counago, Bent & Kuqi is a damning indictment on the mediocrity that’s crawled through here in the last decade or so.

I think Murphy, Mings and McGoldrick would have claims to be lauded as well.
Sorry but imo. Defenders shouldn't be doing this on 08:50 - Dec 17 with 2236 viewsBlue12345

What else was he supposed to do kick the ball out of play?

He didn't think about it, that sort of thing comes naturally to players with the ability to do it.

A lot of ifs and buts before you can say " one slip and its a goal conceded".

Cheer up.
Sorry but imo. Defenders shouldn't be doing this on 09:12 - Dec 17 with 2187 viewsgordon

Think the awful attempt to win the ball that started Burton's attack where they should've scored in the last five minutes was more of a problem, it didn't show much footballing intelligence - there was absolutely no need to try and get in and win that ball, it wasn't as if Burton were cutting us open at will or in a promising position prior to him committing himself unnecessarily.
Sorry but imo. Defenders shouldn't be doing this on 09:26 - Dec 17 with 2147 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Sorry but imo. Defenders shouldn't be doing this on 08:50 - Dec 17 by Blue12345

What else was he supposed to do kick the ball out of play?

He didn't think about it, that sort of thing comes naturally to players with the ability to do it.

A lot of ifs and buts before you can say " one slip and its a goal conceded".

Cheer up.

I Think, like most people on here praising him, you would be singing a very different tune had the attacher robbed him and slotted home for 1-2.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Sorry but imo. Defenders shouldn't be doing this on 09:35 - Dec 17 with 2108 viewsDinDjarin

Sorry but imo. Defenders shouldn't be doing this on 07:12 - Dec 17 by SaleAway

is this the same fanbase that complains that none of our players take a risk, always take the safe option, pass it sideways or backwards? Someone shows a bit of flair, and we're on them for taking risks.

Watching that was pretty much the only thing ITFC have done in ages that brought a smile to my face.

I love seeing players being brave although if you lose it on the edge of your box then you will look like a numpty but the lad is obviously confident to try these things and should be encouraged.

The issue I have is that he is at fault for goals. Their goal Tuesday was a result of his long pass being intercepted. They almost equalized when he sold himself trying to win the ball in their half near the touchline. Should never have been that far up the pitch when winning 2 - 1 with minutes to go.
Sorry but imo. Defenders shouldn't be doing this on 09:36 - Dec 17 with 2106 viewsclive_baker

It's fine when you get away with it, but if you get a rush to the head and think you're Maldini before pinging horrible diags that they score from it's not so cool.

I sympathise with McGuinness and Woolfenden though, they're both promising young defenders and I'm delighted to see them getting an opportunity to play here, despite McGuinness not being one of our own. It's a good message to Arsenal, for them to know if they send the likes of AMN and McGuinness here they'll go back better players, it bodes well for the relationship. I don't like the way we play, with so much going through our 2 centre backs and expecting them to be creators. Let them defend, we need to be a little more direct getting the ball from back to front, which we're capable of all the way across our back 4, and play our football further up the pitch with Jackson off Hawkins and willing runners around them which we have in Judge, Dobra et all.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Sorry but imo. Defenders shouldn't be doing this on 09:36 - Dec 17 with 2107 viewsBlue12345

Sorry but imo. Defenders shouldn't be doing this on 09:26 - Dec 17 by Cheltenham_Blue

I Think, like most people on here praising him, you would be singing a very different tune had the attacher robbed him and slotted home for 1-2.

I had actually only watched the first clip ( the one in the opposition half ). I have now seen the whole thing.

My comment was just in regard to the first one
[Post edited 17 Dec 2020 9:38]
Sorry but imo. Defenders shouldn't be doing this on 09:50 - Dec 17 with 2061 viewsMrTown

I want to see risks, you have to take risk... in the opposing half, not the edge of your own box etc.

He’s a defender. Let’s make sure he can defend first and foremost.

He’s a kid, got a lot to turn, has so much potential, think he’ll go really really far in the game.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Sorry but imo. Defenders shouldn't be doing this on 10:01 - Dec 17 with 2038 viewsGarv

Sorry but imo. Defenders shouldn't be doing this on 09:36 - Dec 17 by clive_baker

It's fine when you get away with it, but if you get a rush to the head and think you're Maldini before pinging horrible diags that they score from it's not so cool.

I sympathise with McGuinness and Woolfenden though, they're both promising young defenders and I'm delighted to see them getting an opportunity to play here, despite McGuinness not being one of our own. It's a good message to Arsenal, for them to know if they send the likes of AMN and McGuinness here they'll go back better players, it bodes well for the relationship. I don't like the way we play, with so much going through our 2 centre backs and expecting them to be creators. Let them defend, we need to be a little more direct getting the ball from back to front, which we're capable of all the way across our back 4, and play our football further up the pitch with Jackson off Hawkins and willing runners around them which we have in Judge, Dobra et all.

We did mix it up the other night to be fair. The first goal came from being a little bit more direct. But we also created chances by passing the ball, which was good to see. Just a shame that the crowd groaned every time we had a spell of possession.

Sorry but imo. Defenders shouldn't be doing this on 10:02 - Dec 17 with 2030 viewschrismakin

I dont think it's about the player doing it, it's more about being put in that position to be doing it

That pass by cornell, and having him facing the wrong way when he receives it, it's a suicide pass.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Sorry but imo. Defenders shouldn't be doing this on 10:03 - Dec 17 with 2020 viewsChrisd

Sorry but imo. Defenders shouldn't be doing this on 09:35 - Dec 17 by DinDjarin

I love seeing players being brave although if you lose it on the edge of your box then you will look like a numpty but the lad is obviously confident to try these things and should be encouraged.

The issue I have is that he is at fault for goals. Their goal Tuesday was a result of his long pass being intercepted. They almost equalized when he sold himself trying to win the ball in their half near the touchline. Should never have been that far up the pitch when winning 2 - 1 with minutes to go.

Is this not what we want from our players to be braver? I agree there is a time and place do this type of skill, but if we aren't asking the players to take risks and be braver on the ball then nothing is going to change. There's plenty of moaning about our players passing the ball sideways, backwards and keeping possession in our own half, I've got no problem with players wanting to carry the ball forwards providing others cover or make that long accurate pass, if anything it shows their level of confidence wanting to try it. If it gets intercepted the opposition have still got a considerable distance to go and players to get through before the ball ends up in our net, it won't just be the result of that pass which is the reason for the goal. However, if we are highlighting every little error or judgement then it's more likely that our players won't take risks, will continually play safe because they don't want to be the one responsible for giving the ball away which will result in more aimless passing around the back without going anywhere.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2020 10:16]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Sorry but imo. Defenders shouldn't be doing this on 10:36 - Dec 17 with 1938 viewsLesta_Tractor

In the opposition half? fine

On the edge of our box?

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Sorry but imo. Defenders shouldn't be doing this on 10:42 - Dec 17 with 1907 viewsBluearmy71

Absolutely he should do it, edge of the box or not, its part of his game and that's the kind of fearlessness shown by younger players, that's the excitement of watching them, the willingness to try that as opposed to the seasoned pro who has had it drummed into him not to do anything like that just clear it out or punt it up-field!!

Will Mcguinness get caught out?? of course he will maybe 2 out of ten times, will it cost us a goal?? of course it will but that's no different to his cross-field balls that gets intercepted which can and did lead to us conceding a goal.

We all want to see exciting football so lets not bemoan a player who is willing to give us that excitement, lets just encourage his natural game is what I say!!!
Sorry but imo. Defenders shouldn't be doing this on 10:42 - Dec 17 with 1905 viewsBiGDonnie

He smashed it. Would love to see more of it, he carries it better than everyone bar Dozzer and Bish!

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Sorry but imo. Defenders shouldn't be doing this on 11:37 - Dec 17 with 1804 viewsjayessess

It looks flash, but I'm not sure it's that risky. You see the striker coming, you know he's going to dive in, simple enough to evade.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Sorry but imo. Defenders shouldn't be doing this on 11:56 - Dec 17 with 1758 viewsclive_baker

Sorry but imo. Defenders shouldn't be doing this on 10:01 - Dec 17 by Garv

We did mix it up the other night to be fair. The first goal came from being a little bit more direct. But we also created chances by passing the ball, which was good to see. Just a shame that the crowd groaned every time we had a spell of possession.

I didn't watch but that's good to hear. Its frustrating we haven't done it more when you look at how effective it was for the 1st goal, I then saw a chance on the highlights where Jackson had one pushed around the post, that came from Dozzell and Judge playing ball much higher up the pitch. We then score a 2nd after going 2 up top. We score against Plymouth after going 2 up top and getting balls into the box. It's not rocket science.

Good to hear we had a bit more variety on Tuesday though, lets hope we see more of it.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Sorry but imo. Defenders shouldn't be doing this on 14:27 - Dec 17 with 1635 viewsGarv

Sorry but imo. Defenders shouldn't be doing this on 11:56 - Dec 17 by clive_baker

I didn't watch but that's good to hear. Its frustrating we haven't done it more when you look at how effective it was for the 1st goal, I then saw a chance on the highlights where Jackson had one pushed around the post, that came from Dozzell and Judge playing ball much higher up the pitch. We then score a 2nd after going 2 up top. We score against Plymouth after going 2 up top and getting balls into the box. It's not rocket science.

Good to hear we had a bit more variety on Tuesday though, lets hope we see more of it.

I think it all comes down to service and delivery, whether we play one up or two up. The balls into the box from Ward at Plymouth are good good balls whether there's one or two central strikers. As long as you've got midfielders arriving then we will get chances, our issue at the moment is someone needing to do something special to make a chance, e.g Bennets or Dozzell maybe.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2020 14:42]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024