Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How long does Cook get? 08:20 - Apr 14 with 13851 viewsBluefish

I think I will be viewed as an early adopter to the uselessness of Lambert. I refused to buy in to the free hit nonsense for a club 5 points adrift in October, the warning signs were there very early for Lambert being a fraud. I did however question him and the adulation for him without calling for his head straightaway. The earliest that the calls to sack him were March time, that is 5 months on and even then it was more questions and acknowledging failure than demanding his sacking. During that spell he had a complete transfer window albeit the trickier January one but he was definitely financially backed.

What does any of this history mean? Cook has been a disaster so far, the inability to turn things round on the pitch and the struggle to either impose his own shape and strategy or find one that suits our current crop is very worrying. There are no excuses for how far away we are at the moment on the pitch, we have a squad plenty big enough to find a side that competes on the pitch, at the moment 0 shots on target is mot competing.

I think Cook was asked early on how long he needs and his response was 1 transfer window. It is bold but positive and with the start he has had that is definitely right. You need to earn credit as a manager and he has used his up with this start without earning any extra. The summer will be a fresh start but the backing he will get coupled with the better window means he needs to not carry over anything, we have to hit the ground running to build some credit and then it has to be maintained.

I'm not Cook Out but I'm also not giving free hits, the start is a blemish so the pressure should start

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

How long does Cook get? on 09:26 - Apr 15 with 1932 viewsHerbivore

How long does Cook get? on 08:36 - Apr 15 by The_Flashing_Smile

I only watched the first half of the AFC W game but they seemed to be more skilful than us rather than just a better mentality.

Do you honestly think that AFC Wimbledon have better players than us?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

How long does Cook get? on 09:46 - Apr 15 with 1889 viewsEwan_Oozami

How long does Cook get? on 09:26 - Apr 15 by Herbivore

Do you honestly think that AFC Wimbledon have better players than us?

Looking at the evidence from Tuesday, I'd say yes.....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

How long does Cook get? on 09:47 - Apr 15 with 1882 viewsOsborneOneNil

How long does Cook get? on 08:41 - Apr 15 by hype313

Agreed, I think your first line is the most pertinent one as in Mentality shot, I just think on paper these players should be far better than their counterparts, but I just think the past 3 years have ground them down so much and the negativity has been going on for so long it's so hard for someone like Cook to come in and change that overnight.

I was hopeful that a change of manager would be an instant relief, but it runs far deeper than that, and that's where we have all been caught short somewhat.

Exactly. Pep could come in and we’d still be poor, at the moment.

Talk of PC being poor, it’s harsh. He’s come into a situation where most have downed tools and just can’t be arsed. He’s never failed, and he’ll be a success here, but he does need to clear out the rubbish and get his own players in. Work the pre-season, and see us fly.

I’ve 100% confidence in Paul Cook.
How long does Cook get? on 09:50 - Apr 15 with 1884 viewsPhilTWTD

How long does Cook get? on 00:00 - Apr 15 by pointofblue

The issue with Hurst is the seven new players were off poorer quality than the ones we had before. The hope for this summer is we see an improvement on that score.

Think the team will be almost entirely different on the opening day of next season. The money we've got to spend ought to ensure a squad which is very much stronger in League One than Hurst's was in the Championship.
How long does Cook get? on 09:52 - Apr 15 with 1871 viewsMullet

How long does Cook get? on 09:50 - Apr 15 by PhilTWTD

Think the team will be almost entirely different on the opening day of next season. The money we've got to spend ought to ensure a squad which is very much stronger in League One than Hurst's was in the Championship.

So we're back to having a decent League One team at least then?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

How long does Cook get? on 09:53 - Apr 15 with 1870 viewsPhilTWTD

How long does Cook get? on 09:52 - Apr 15 by Mullet

So we're back to having a decent League One team at least then?

I think the aim will be to stat to put together a squad to compete at a higher level from the off.
How long does Cook get? on 09:54 - Apr 15 with 1861 viewsOsborneOneNil

How long does Cook get? on 06:47 - Apr 15 by Churchman

‘Red in the face from typing’ - I presume that thought was meant to be derogatory. Personally, I thought it was an interesting post and pretty much spot on.

Anyway, there was an interesting article in the EADT yesterday from Mike Bacon. A sort of overview of where we’ve been and where, fingers crossed, we might be going.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/mike-bacon-on-itfc-7897150

Spot on
How long does Cook get? on 09:56 - Apr 15 with 1853 viewsjayessess

How long does Cook get? on 09:47 - Apr 15 by OsborneOneNil

Exactly. Pep could come in and we’d still be poor, at the moment.

Talk of PC being poor, it’s harsh. He’s come into a situation where most have downed tools and just can’t be arsed. He’s never failed, and he’ll be a success here, but he does need to clear out the rubbish and get his own players in. Work the pre-season, and see us fly.

I’ve 100% confidence in Paul Cook.

IMO if they'd "downed tools" and "couldn't be arsed", it would far far easier to lift their performances than it has been.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Login to get fewer ads

How long does Cook get? on 09:57 - Apr 15 with 1846 viewsHerbivore

How long does Cook get? on 09:46 - Apr 15 by Ewan_Oozami

Looking at the evidence from Tuesday, I'd say yes.....

But clearly they aren't better players given how far behind us they are in the table and given that most of their side won't ever play above this level, whereas many of our players have and others may well go on to. AFC had a clear way of playing and had players who know their way of playing and who are committed to trying to keep them up. They've got a team that is greater than the sum of its parts.

We have a lot of individuals who on their own have more than decent ability for this level, but as a team we're next to useless. The lack of cohesion comes from really poor coaching and muddled thinking for the past 3 years, the rest is down to the players just looking utterly shot physically and mentally. It's a total mess. The players aren't merely crap though and I expect we'll see as much from some of them when they're playing against us next season.

How long does Cook get? on 09:59 - Apr 15 with 1839 viewsHARRY10

How long does Cook get? on 09:50 - Apr 15 by PhilTWTD

Any indication of how much that will be, and how much will be limited by FFP ?
How long does Cook get? on 10:00 - Apr 15 with 1839 viewsMullet

How long does Cook get? on 09:53 - Apr 15 by PhilTWTD

I think the aim will be to stat to put together a squad to compete at a higher level from the off.

I was being facetious of course, but I am intrigued by where the recruitment bar will be and the types of deals we end up doing. If less money is changing hands in fees are we going to see something more akin to when Skuse et al came in on frees?

We need that sort of reboot again, likewise rather than sell assets cheaply might we look to do swap deals? Lots of moving parts to this already.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

How long does Cook get? on 10:05 - Apr 15 with 1820 viewsPhilTWTD

How long does Cook get? on 09:59 - Apr 15 by HARRY10

The whispers I hear is that it will be a lot. Not sure on FFP. I read something the other day which said there would be a move back to the SCMP thing which was running before the salary cap but not read any confirmation that that will be the case. At the time the salary cap was abolished it was said there would be talks about what would replace it.
How long does Cook get? on 10:07 - Apr 15 with 1813 viewsPhilTWTD

How long does Cook get? on 10:00 - Apr 15 by Mullet

I was being facetious of course, but I am intrigued by where the recruitment bar will be and the types of deals we end up doing. If less money is changing hands in fees are we going to see something more akin to when Skuse et al came in on frees?

We need that sort of reboot again, likewise rather than sell assets cheaply might we look to do swap deals? Lots of moving parts to this already.

I think the market at this level will be like that, lots of players available on frees, probably at Championship level as there seem to be a few clubs struggling and probably looking to offload players. Think we'll try and recruit players from as high a level as we can. Financially, our wherewithall is going to be well beyond other League One clubs.
How long does Cook get? on 10:07 - Apr 15 with 1799 viewshype313

How long does Cook get? on 10:05 - Apr 15 by PhilTWTD

The whispers I hear is that it will be a lot. Not sure on FFP. I read something the other day which said there would be a move back to the SCMP thing which was running before the salary cap but not read any confirmation that that will be the case. At the time the salary cap was abolished it was said there would be talks about what would replace it.

Well, if we're looking at a complete swap out of squads and an upgrade on what we have then it will need to be quite a vast amount, especially as we don't really have any assets of sorts to utilise funds with. Obviously Dozzell and Downes are two that could command a fee, but not sure anyone will be offering anywhere near our valuation on those either.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

How long does Cook get? on 10:08 - Apr 15 with 1796 viewsjayessess

How long does Cook get? on 09:59 - Apr 15 by HARRY10

As far as I understand it the financial regulations for L1 only apply to salaries, not transfer fees. The salary cap relates to turnover, but owners can donate cash or inject equity to boost that turnover if they wish.

How long does Cook get? on 10:10 - Apr 15 with 1790 viewsHerbivore

How long does Cook get? on 10:07 - Apr 15 by PhilTWTD

I think the market at this level will be like that, lots of players available on frees, probably at Championship level as there seem to be a few clubs struggling and probably looking to offload players. Think we'll try and recruit players from as high a level as we can. Financially, our wherewithall is going to be well beyond other League One clubs.

So what you're saying is we should start waving £20 notes at Norwich fans and singing about how we're f**king loaded?

How long does Cook get? on 10:11 - Apr 15 with 1788 viewsKieran_Knows

What about players at this level who are performing well and have potential resale value in future? Scott Twine (Swindon), Luke Jephcott (Plymouth) and Charlie Kirk (Crewe) as 3 examples?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

How long does Cook get? on 10:14 - Apr 15 with 1773 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Makes total sense - and Ashton is just the next piece in that puzzle. Getting an CEO who is beyond our level ready for when we are at that level. Good times ahead.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

How long does Cook get? on 10:17 - Apr 15 with 1767 viewsPhilTWTD

How long does Cook get? on 10:11 - Apr 15 by Kieran_Knows

What about players at this level who are performing well and have potential resale value in future? Scott Twine (Swindon), Luke Jephcott (Plymouth) and Charlie Kirk (Crewe) as 3 examples?

I think if there are players who are viewed as potentially being able to play at a higher level we'd be interested whatever level they're currently playing at. I would expect most to come from the best at this level and above.
How long does Cook get? on 10:20 - Apr 15 with 1756 viewsKieran_Knows

How long does Cook get? on 10:17 - Apr 15 by PhilTWTD

I think if there are players who are viewed as potentially being able to play at a higher level we'd be interested whatever level they're currently playing at. I would expect most to come from the best at this level and above.

Fair enough. I would say with this new data analytical approach, ala Brentford, that's a market we'll also look at.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

How long does Cook get? on 10:23 - Apr 15 with 1744 viewsPhilTWTD

How long does Cook get? on 10:07 - Apr 15 by hype313

Well, if we're looking at a complete swap out of squads and an upgrade on what we have then it will need to be quite a vast amount, especially as we don't really have any assets of sorts to utilise funds with. Obviously Dozzell and Downes are two that could command a fee, but not sure anyone will be offering anywhere near our valuation on those either.

Was talking about this with someone the other day. Who, aside perhaps from one or two real kids who might be recruited for their potential by the big clubs, could we achieve a fee for? Downes and Dozzell, Jackson assuming we take his option - which we might do just to achieve a fee given the January interest - El Mizouni - assuming we do the same, am aware there has been interest in him from Brentford - but not too many more, particularly with most clubs at this level to be looking at frees and can't see too much interest from higher up. Vincent-Young would be another if he gets back playing regularly.
How long does Cook get? on 10:25 - Apr 15 with 1737 viewsPhilTWTD

How long does Cook get? on 10:20 - Apr 15 by Kieran_Knows

Fair enough. I would say with this new data analytical approach, ala Brentford, that's a market we'll also look at.

Of course, that will come into it. Players whose data indicates they can play at the higher level. Difficult to say quite how recruitment will be but you would assume it ought to be a mix of data and more traditional scouting to some degree.

I think we'll try to recruit as if we're a Championship side within he constraints of FFP rules, players willing to drop to this level etc.
How long does Cook get? on 10:27 - Apr 15 with 1724 viewsHARRY10

How long does Cook get? on 10:08 - Apr 15 by jayessess

As far as I understand it the financial regulations for L1 only apply to salaries, not transfer fees. The salary cap relates to turnover, but owners can donate cash or inject equity to boost that turnover if they wish.

"In League 1 clubs can spend a maximum of 60% of their turnover on wages - There are no restrictions (in themselves) on the amount a club can lose or spend on transfer fees. "

It seems owners can make loans, but direct cash donations are treated as turnover.

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/scmp.php
How long does Cook get? on 10:36 - Apr 15 with 1697 viewsjayessess

How long does Cook get? on 10:23 - Apr 15 by PhilTWTD

Was talking about this with someone the other day. Who, aside perhaps from one or two real kids who might be recruited for their potential by the big clubs, could we achieve a fee for? Downes and Dozzell, Jackson assuming we take his option - which we might do just to achieve a fee given the January interest - El Mizouni - assuming we do the same, am aware there has been interest in him from Brentford - but not too many more, particularly with most clubs at this level to be looking at frees and can't see too much interest from higher up. Vincent-Young would be another if he gets back playing regularly.

Would you get enough for any of them to make it worthwhile at this stage?

How long does Cook get? on 10:39 - Apr 15 with 1691 viewsPhilTWTD

How long does Cook get? on 10:36 - Apr 15 by jayessess

Would you get enough for any of them to make it worthwhile at this stage?

That is a fair point. What's someone going to offer for Downes after the season he's just had given Palace only offered £1.6 million last summer?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024