Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How long does Cook get? 08:20 - Apr 14 with 13859 viewsBluefish

I think I will be viewed as an early adopter to the uselessness of Lambert. I refused to buy in to the free hit nonsense for a club 5 points adrift in October, the warning signs were there very early for Lambert being a fraud. I did however question him and the adulation for him without calling for his head straightaway. The earliest that the calls to sack him were March time, that is 5 months on and even then it was more questions and acknowledging failure than demanding his sacking. During that spell he had a complete transfer window albeit the trickier January one but he was definitely financially backed.

What does any of this history mean? Cook has been a disaster so far, the inability to turn things round on the pitch and the struggle to either impose his own shape and strategy or find one that suits our current crop is very worrying. There are no excuses for how far away we are at the moment on the pitch, we have a squad plenty big enough to find a side that competes on the pitch, at the moment 0 shots on target is mot competing.

I think Cook was asked early on how long he needs and his response was 1 transfer window. It is bold but positive and with the start he has had that is definitely right. You need to earn credit as a manager and he has used his up with this start without earning any extra. The summer will be a fresh start but the backing he will get coupled with the better window means he needs to not carry over anything, we have to hit the ground running to build some credit and then it has to be maintained.

I'm not Cook Out but I'm also not giving free hits, the start is a blemish so the pressure should start

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

How long does Cook get? on 13:20 - Apr 14 with 1512 viewstractorlad01

All of next season at least. Just look at Blackpool, they started this season terribly after making a lot of transfers and are now pushing for automatics.
How long does Cook get? on 13:21 - Apr 14 with 1504 viewswkj

How long does Cook get? on 13:15 - Apr 14 by BlueNode

How much does a new squad cost these days... assuming we will not be shopping entirely bargain basement for them?

This year will see a mass of quality players on free contracts, so bargain basement hunting is a pretty potent thing.

Letting go of Huws, Jackson, Skuse (I think he's all but retired in his head now), possibly Chambers (although there is debate that one), Donacien and other sign on at Championship wages - we will have a fair few quit freed up for contracts one would assume.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

How long does Cook get? on 13:31 - Apr 14 with 1473 viewsLankHenners

How long does Cook get? on 13:20 - Apr 14 by The_Flashing_Smile

But even that requires him to get it right first time with his acquisitions.

I think people expect miracles. I feel like I'm a dying breed in that I still want managers to be given time - and with so much surgery required to this squad, Cook needs at least two windows.

Sadly, I don't think today's insta generation will give him that much time. I fact the posts I'm reading on here after just 10 games and no windows, prove that.

I’d like him to be given time and hopefully he’s a big success but the start under him has been woeful and though, as acknowledged, he’s got one hand tied behind his back, if he’s putting the blame on the players then he hasn’t got much to hide behind if things don’t go well next season.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

How long does Cook get? on 13:39 - Apr 14 with 1456 viewstractorboy1978

How long does Cook get? on 13:20 - Apr 14 by The_Flashing_Smile

But even that requires him to get it right first time with his acquisitions.

I think people expect miracles. I feel like I'm a dying breed in that I still want managers to be given time - and with so much surgery required to this squad, Cook needs at least two windows.

Sadly, I don't think today's insta generation will give him that much time. I fact the posts I'm reading on here after just 10 games and no windows, prove that.

There are some normally sensible people on here that have absolutely lost their heads frankly.
How long does Cook get? on 13:46 - Apr 14 with 1447 viewschrismakin

How long does Cook get? on 13:39 - Apr 14 by tractorboy1978

There are some normally sensible people on here that have absolutely lost their heads frankly.

And im the unsensible one talking the most sense!

yes, i am

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

How long does Cook get? on 13:53 - Apr 14 with 1433 viewsEwan_Oozami

How long does Cook get? on 12:32 - Apr 14 by itfcjoe

It's horses for courses, players are conditioned to play the style they are inteded to play - if we aren't set up as a high pressing team then you don't waste energy training them to be capable of doing so

But you should train most of them to be able to get up and down the pitch for 90 mins to either join attacks or provide defensive cover, neither of which I've seen on a regular basis this, or even last, season...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

How long does Cook get? on 14:02 - Apr 14 with 1416 viewsGavTWTD

It's a hard question, how long does he get. On the one hand he has to replace possibly 8 first team members and then get them to play the way he wants. He'll then be under pressure from his new bosses. And we don't yet know how recruitment will work. Likely to be friction with Ashton if he's heavily involved. Hopefully he'll only be there to get Cook's deals over the line.

Obviously Cook will be continually judged by us lot but I think we need to wait until we see the kind of player that comes into the club first of all. Then to see how they perform.

I did think this is exactly the kind of project he'd relish, but the expectation of success is very high.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

How long does Cook get? on 14:10 - Apr 14 with 1395 viewsjayessess

Tbh, my bet is that the new owners' patience would run out much quicker than most of us. Evans favoured endless prevarication, but there's little evidence that "giving managers time" is a good route to success. If things aren't improving by Late Autumn, I'd imagine Cook will be in real trouble.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Login to get fewer ads

How long does Cook get? on 14:13 - Apr 14 with 1386 viewschrismakin

How long does Cook get? on 14:10 - Apr 14 by jayessess

Tbh, my bet is that the new owners' patience would run out much quicker than most of us. Evans favoured endless prevarication, but there's little evidence that "giving managers time" is a good route to success. If things aren't improving by Late Autumn, I'd imagine Cook will be in real trouble.

It's going to be xmas, top 2 or out

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

How long does Cook get? on 14:30 - Apr 14 with 1368 viewsJammyDodgerrr

He gets until the end of next season for me, but only if we are competitive. None of this languishing mid table business - i would think we should be fighting for automatics. Realistically i reckon he has until Christmas before the new owners make the change.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

How long does Cook get? on 15:09 - Apr 14 with 1321 viewsitfcjoe

How long does Cook get? on 14:10 - Apr 14 by jayessess

Ashton allowed Lee Johnson to go through bad runs, and times of underperformance - but the difference was he picked him for the role

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

How long does Cook get? on 15:10 - Apr 14 with 1308 viewsericclacton

I would guess another week.
How long does Cook get? on 15:22 - Apr 14 with 1285 viewsjayessess

How long does Cook get? on 15:09 - Apr 14 by itfcjoe

Ashton allowed Lee Johnson to go through bad runs, and times of underperformance - but the difference was he picked him for the role

That was also about credit in the bank, I think? In 2015, he took over a side in the relegation zone, won half their remaining fixtures and survived by 12 points.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2021 16:18]

How long does Cook get? on 15:26 - Apr 14 with 1274 viewsBobbychase

He gets all of next season at least.

Cook has not been a disaster IMHO, but the players have. And I find it infuriating and a bit suspicious that they raised their games for the wins at Hull and v Doncaster when it was clear that Lambert was leaving, and are now sulking because the new boss made them work hard in training.

Cook has tried every combination possible with these chancers. And now we know the problem is them.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

How long does Cook get? on 15:34 - Apr 14 with 1254 viewsJ2BLUE

How long does Cook get? on 14:13 - Apr 14 by chrismakin

It's going to be xmas, top 2 or out

No it isn't. People need to stop posting things like this.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

How long does Cook get? on 15:39 - Apr 14 with 1233 viewschrismakin

How long does Cook get? on 15:34 - Apr 14 by J2BLUE

The OP asked a question I gave an answer.

You know my thoughts on PC. So its not made with any negative intent. It's just how I see it panning out with the new owners.

I think championship youd be given time but league 1 is league 1. If PC hasnt got us up there then theres issues
[Post edited 14 Apr 2021 15:46]

How long does Cook get? on 15:43 - Apr 14 with 1224 viewstextbackup

He’s got my full backing until he’s had a summer transfer window, a summer to get his ideas into the new guys (and those he deems good enough to stay) I’m absolutely in no doubt he will be great for us.

I’m frustrated as hell it’s been so car crash for him, but I think he’s looked at what we have and tried multiple things, but at the end of the day you can’t polish a turd.

What worries me, and I’m sure it does him too, is that these new owners might look at it and base everything on his results and simply say no thanks.

You’d like to think that he’s in the best possible position to rebuild us, he’s seen how sht the squad is, so he’ll know who to ditch, who to keep on, and who he trusts.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

How long does Cook get? on 15:44 - Apr 14 with 1219 viewsjayessess

How long does Cook get? on 15:34 - Apr 14 by J2BLUE

What makes you say that though?

The club will likely have a top-2 budget next season. The current average (median) tenure for a football league manager is 308 days. By Christmas Cook will have been in post for 296 days.

This isn't Evans-world any more, we've no reason to assume they'll be any more patient than (for e.g.) Sunderland's owners. If we're significantly under-performing relative to budget by the end of 2021, why would you expect GC20 to keep him on?

How long does Cook get? on 16:14 - Apr 14 with 1194 viewschrismakin

And there are people moaning after 10 games.

Some supporters are crazy

How long does Cook get? on 16:30 - Apr 14 with 1168 viewsJ2BLUE

How long does Cook get? on 15:44 - Apr 14 by jayessess

What makes you say that though?

The club will likely have a top-2 budget next season. The current average (median) tenure for a football league manager is 308 days. By Christmas Cook will have been in post for 296 days.

This isn't Evans-world any more, we've no reason to assume they'll be any more patient than (for e.g.) Sunderland's owners. If we're significantly under-performing relative to budget by the end of 2021, why would you expect GC20 to keep him on?

I just dislike these black and white statements with nothing behind them. I'm being a bit pedantic, I admit, but saying second or sacked isn't true.

There are a thousand different potential stories of why we might not be second.

Just a couple of them...

Sunderland been taken over. Sheff Wed coming down. Portsmouth potentially in the league. Not impossible that the latter two could be taken over and we have four big hitters in the league all on similar points totals. We could be fourth, one point from second, for example.

We could take two points from opening six games before all the new players click and we have by far the best form in the division over the ten games before Christmas.

I'm just pointing out these black and white ideas never work out. Obviously if we get to Christmas and we're eighth then there's a problem. If we're not top two then potentially we could be very close to it with the momentum etc.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

How long does Cook get? on 16:39 - Apr 14 with 1150 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

How long does Cook get? on 16:30 - Apr 14 by J2BLUE

I just dislike these black and white statements with nothing behind them. I'm being a bit pedantic, I admit, but saying second or sacked isn't true.

Just a couple of them...

Sunderland been taken over. Sheff Wed coming down. Portsmouth potentially in the league. Not impossible that the latter two could be taken over and we have four big hitters in the league all on similar points totals. We could be fourth, one point from second, for example.

We could take two points from opening six games before all the new players click and we have by far the best form in the division over the ten games before Christmas.

I'm just pointing out these black and white ideas never work out. Obviously if we get to Christmas and we're eighth then there's a problem. If we're not top two then potentially we could be very close to it with the momentum etc.

Agreed, and not having a go at CM but people tend to post such black and white statements as if that's obviously what's going to happen and there's not even any point discussing it. Get's my goat more than it should!

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

How long does Cook get? on 17:11 - Apr 14 with 1121 viewsjayessess

How long does Cook get? on 16:30 - Apr 14 by J2BLUE

Just a couple of them...

ah, I get you. I took top 2 more as a general vibe than a black and white statement. Like you say there's plenty of scenarios where not quite the top 2 looks alright.

But my assumption is still that if we're not on course for a good finish by then, it'll be curtains.

How long does Cook get? on 19:21 - Apr 14 with 1076 viewshaynes_toe1

How long does Cook get? on 13:05 - Apr 14 by chrismakin

Erm, Mick brought in some of his own players. Cook hasn't had that chance

Yeah, a couple. But he had an instant impact on the players that were already there too.

And he didn't take over a team just outside the playoffs. He took over a side at the bottom of the table and achieved instant results.

Its not a fair comparison though as Mick is a better manager with better pedigree than Cook.
How long does Cook get? on 19:28 - Apr 14 with 1074 viewsMach_foreignBlue

How long does Cook get? on 11:26 - Apr 14 by itfcjoe

There's barely anyone on this thread who thinks he deserves past January next season - I wonder what they would be saying if we were currently 4th/5th and had picked up 15-16 points out of 10 games?

There seems to have been a complete capitulation, and the team selection last night was baffling to me - for what was defined as a season defining game.

I struggle to square the circle that the previous manager was massively underperforming (which I believe that he was) with the fact now that this is all on the players and not Cook.

To be blunt, we aren't getting the fundamentals right - our set pieces are woeful, defensively we seem in some sort of hybrid between zonal and man that no one seems to understand. There is absolutely nothing going forwards, no patterns of play at all. Just real basic stuff that isn't happening. I'm amazed at how poor we've become and there's no way his first priority this season wasn't to get us into the play offs.

He's obviously got a great record, and will be judged on what he achieves next year, but for the life of me I can't work out what he is doing at the moment.

'for the life of me I can't work out what he is doing at the moment'.....

Are you serious?

Cook has been trying various systems of play. People didn't like one upfront so he's been seeking the different ways. But it doesn't work because this group of lazy, perennial losers have been used to live in the old regime where everything was nice and easy. Not demanding owner, no pressure to deliver the success, failure is accepted, easy payday at Ipswich etc etc.

Yes this group of s**thouses whom you and number of other people have been labelling as one of the best squads in this league ever since we got relegated.

Cook has been left with the perennial losers of previous managers. Not even a single out of them is his player. They had got us relegated without a fight and underperformed in this terrible league for the last two years. How on earth do you question him then?

All you have been doing for a while has been lauding this squad and overhyping our own products. And as it always has been the case you blame the manager after the manager and another manager for not doing miracles with these losers who themselves aren't fit to wear the shirt.

Always the easiest to blame the manager, eh? You never question this teams captain and his leadership skills, the constant component of our long decline. You never question some other senior players. You never question the majority of this hopeless team. It's always the managers fault, eh?

Cook doesn't deserve a single word of criticism. Let him kick this crap out of the club, lets give him a time to mould his own team.

Did you see how hurting he was in the last night's interview? He has a bigger passion for the club than the entire team of these no-hopers. Does a single ITFC player share a quarter of his passion for the club? Not even 10% I guess.

The final whistle of the Fleetwood game come May cannot come quick enough.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2021 19:33]
How long does Cook get? on 19:41 - Apr 14 with 1039 viewsitfcjoe

How long does Cook get? on 19:28 - Apr 14 by Mach_foreignBlue

'for the life of me I can't work out what he is doing at the moment'.....

Are you serious?

Cook has been trying various systems of play. People didn't like one upfront so he's been seeking the different ways. But it doesn't work because this group of lazy, perennial losers have been used to live in the old regime where everything was nice and easy. Not demanding owner, no pressure to deliver the success, failure is accepted, easy payday at Ipswich etc etc.

Yes this group of s**thouses whom you and number of other people have been labelling as one of the best squads in this league ever since we got relegated.

Cook has been left with the perennial losers of previous managers. Not even a single out of them is his player. They had got us relegated without a fight and underperformed in this terrible league for the last two years. How on earth do you question him then?

All you have been doing for a while has been lauding this squad and overhyping our own products. And as it always has been the case you blame the manager after the manager and another manager for not doing miracles with these losers who themselves aren't fit to wear the shirt.

Always the easiest to blame the manager, eh? You never question this teams captain and his leadership skills, the constant component of our long decline. You never question some other senior players. You never question the majority of this hopeless team. It's always the managers fault, eh?

Cook doesn't deserve a single word of criticism. Let him kick this crap out of the club, lets give him a time to mould his own team.

Did you see how hurting he was in the last night's interview? He has a bigger passion for the club than the entire team of these no-hopers. Does a single ITFC player share a quarter of his passion for the club? Not even 10% I guess.

The final whistle of the Fleetwood game come May cannot come quick enough.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2021 19:33]

To suggest Chambers has less than 10% of the passion for the club than Paul Cook has just shows what an absolute weapon you are.

We know you hate him, but at least try to not to be a complete tool.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024