Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Players released 15:04 - Apr 21 with 45092 viewsgreyhound

Hearing rumours that the next stage of the clear out is awaiting announcement.

Jack lankaster among those names that I've been given as well as a large portion of under 23s

With all of the noise about improving academy when the takeover happened this seems surprising, I wonder if that u23 contingent includes more players that are in or around the first team than anything else.

I know we're seriously lacking quality but I hope in this clear out we don't make some hasty regrettable decisions on some of the younger talent we may have.

These are horrible horrible times as a town fan, where those you pinned your hopes on are falling so far short
Players released on 15:38 - Apr 22 with 3766 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Players released on 14:16 - Apr 22 by itfcjoe

It's not a refusal to blame the players, they look totally mentally shot - but all I read on here about them as how they are gutless, how they are not fit to wear shirt, how they are letting their families down, how they all need to go etc......from the same people that want to give Cook a free ride for turning us from a bang average team to the worst team in the league over a few weeks.

The same people moaning at me for blaming Cook (and claiming I am doing so entirely) are refusing to apportion any blame to Cook who as a manager has made the team demonstrably worse than Lambert did in every metric going, when 90%+ of the fan base thought Lambert was doing a terrible job and should go.

The difference is Cook has been here a couple of months, the players have been here years some of them. And they've been failing for years.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Players released on 15:42 - Apr 22 with 3730 viewsWD19

Players released on 15:07 - Apr 21 by J2BLUE

Lankester? Wow. Surprised by that.

Its a shame, but it is no surprise given the past few weeks.

I hope he goes on to prove the decision wrong.
Players released on 16:20 - Apr 22 with 3659 viewspointofblue

Players released on 14:24 - Apr 22 by chrismakin

But theres alot more going on at the club than there was since Lambert was here

Takeover. Contracts. Christ we found out yesturday a player like Lancaster could be on his way. That's a move weve never seen at town.
Norwoods been on self destruct mode for months and hes the only one who appears to be able to score. Or wilson whose been injured.

I'm all for laying blame on a manager who has a simple task of managing a side. There is nothing simple about managing this group of players at this point in this season with all that is happening at ITFC.

And why do I get so passionate about it. Because the more negative posts that get made. The more noise is made and we dont know the owners and their patience levels.

I don’t think the owners will blink yet - the majority of those who think Cook could probably be doing better, including myself, still think he should be given the summer to revamp the squad and see what next season brings. We’re not just hanging out the bunting and welcoming him as our saviour as we did Lambert when he took us down with improved performances (something Cook hasn’t managed) but poor results. Once bitten twice shy.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Players released on 16:24 - Apr 22 with 3649 viewsBlueWorldOrder

If Cook is releasing the likes of Edwards, Lankester and Bishop then he really must have great players lined up...

Poll: Should we stop changing kits every season?

Players released on 16:26 - Apr 22 with 3647 viewsSpruceMoose

Players released on 16:24 - Apr 22 by BlueWorldOrder

If Cook is releasing the likes of Edwards, Lankester and Bishop then he really must have great players lined up...

We would just need 'good' level players to improve on those.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Players released on 16:32 - Apr 22 with 3621 viewsitfcpaul

Players released on 16:24 - Apr 22 by BlueWorldOrder

what exactly have Bishop and Lankester done to warrant being kept on?

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

Players released on 17:42 - Apr 22 with 3531 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

Players released on 16:32 - Apr 22 by itfcpaul

what exactly have Bishop and Lankester done to warrant being kept on?

I think Bishop's done enough to be viewed as a squad player next season and I still think, in the right system and playing with confidence (key), he is a match winner in League One. We've seen glimpses of that this season but he has struggled to impose himself on games.

Edwards is in a similar position but a big caveat to that is wage costs. Lankaster has stuggled this year and we should be looking to replace fringe players like him with players who can keep Edwards and Bishop out of the first team.
Players released on 17:51 - Apr 22 with 3483 viewsVic

Players released on 15:24 - Apr 22 by The_Flashing_Smile

"heaps a lot of unnecessary pressure on himself"

He's not deliberately had a bad start Joe! What is he doing wrong exactly that 'heaps unnecessary pressure on'? It's not like he's putting out weird formations or asking players to do anything out of the ordinary.

We've been going downhill for many years. That won't be fixed overnight by anyone, even new owners with money to throw at the problem.

Cook needs time. I expected better of you to be honest, because you're usually a bit more measured with footballing matters.

I think Joe is being his usual measured self. He’s not calling for Cook to be sacked or anything like it.

But he is saying that it’s been a poor start and we all expected better, and that it’s surprising that Cook, with all his experience, hasn’t been able to get a tune out of these players. I agree with him that this might show a bit of a blind spot in his man management - which is about getting the best out of a group of players, however poor they might be. That they are now performing worse than under Lambert shows that he has failed to do this.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Login to get fewer ads

Players released on 18:41 - Apr 22 with 3361 viewsPinewoodblue

Players released on 17:51 - Apr 22 by Vic

I think Joe is being his usual measured self. He’s not calling for Cook to be sacked or anything like it.

But he is saying that it’s been a poor start and we all expected better, and that it’s surprising that Cook, with all his experience, hasn’t been able to get a tune out of these players. I agree with him that this might show a bit of a blind spot in his man management - which is about getting the best out of a group of players, however poor they might be. That they are now performing worse than under Lambert shows that he has failed to do this.

Think it would be fair to add that PC probably believed he could turn the season around and is trying to understand why he has failed.

There is no credit here for either manager nor players. Think the majority of fans accepted that we had a group of players that were more than capable of making a difference once they had decent leadership....suspect we were wrong.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Players released on 18:48 - Apr 22 with 3326 viewsjayessess

Players released on 17:42 - Apr 22 by King_ding_a_lin_g

I think Bishop's done enough to be viewed as a squad player next season and I still think, in the right system and playing with confidence (key), he is a match winner in League One. We've seen glimpses of that this season but he has struggled to impose himself on games.

Edwards is in a similar position but a big caveat to that is wage costs. Lankaster has stuggled this year and we should be looking to replace fringe players like him with players who can keep Edwards and Bishop out of the first team.

Autumn Teddy was worth keeping, Spring Teddy is not.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Players released on 19:02 - Apr 22 with 3285 viewsHARRY10

Players released on 18:41 - Apr 22 by Pinewoodblue

Think it would be fair to add that PC probably believed he could turn the season around and is trying to understand why he has failed.

There is no credit here for either manager nor players. Think the majority of fans accepted that we had a group of players that were more than capable of making a difference once they had decent leadership....suspect we were wrong.

Blue tinted specs, as with the youth perhaps ?
Is this a Friday Poo thread? (n/t) on 19:03 - Apr 22 with 3282 viewsWakh

Is this a Friday Poo thread? (n/t) on 15:31 - Apr 21 by Bloots

A majority of the current players are fully aware; and have been for a while, that their futures lie elsewhere. PC is trying to support them through what is going to be a difficult time; finding a new club will not be easy this summer. Their self-preservation is obvious and understandable. We are (all) simply going through the (cautious) motions. Let's not read too much into - or judge Paul, by what is, an extraordinary and exciting situation.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2021 19:22]
Players released on 19:06 - Apr 22 with 3264 viewsArnieM

I think people are underestimating the effects on the players that the take over news and accompanying "reset" at the Club, which doesn't include these players, had on individuals

Why would you bust a gut for a team /club , when that Club ( new manager) will be saying cheerio lads in 8 weeks time?

I think it was quite notable the sudden upturn in results ( 3 games we won) under Lambert , when the take over was strongly suggested...players suddenly had a spring in their step. Thinking, .."wow a better contract from the new wealthy owners"....but a little later when it became clear that there would be wholesale changes at the club ..the new manager said as much within days of walking through the door. that "there will be big changes"... "players will be leaving" ..."that's football"......add to that the training was ramped up 10 fold in terms of effort required. training twice daily ...HARD WORK), these players were well and truly thrown out of their long established comfort zones. ....
AND THEY DIDNT LIKE IT !

IMO they downed tools. It was clear they couldn't cope with the changes asked of them on the pitch. Cook tried several line ups, styles , formations in an attempt to try and accommodate these players and find a winning formula, and they couldn't ( wouldn't?) perform. They are supposed to be professional athletes / footballers.

I think its damning that they were fit enough to cope with 2 sessions a day . They've spent almost 3 years under Lambert playing practically "walking football". Not much being asked of them . Squad rotations etc . Cook comes in a tries to increase the tempo and they cant do it .

Ive got no sympathy with this squad whatsoever. There's been a problem at this club for years now ,and things really do have to change and they are defiantly a big part of the problem. I don't blame Cook for the performances since he's walked through the door. The team were crap before he arrived and a 3 game rally doesn't cut it with me., I blame the players .They have been pathetic . Time for them to go I'm afraid .They only have themselves to blame.

COYB's and Go for it Paul Cook .....

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Players released on 19:21 - Apr 22 with 3186 viewsHARRY10

Players released on 19:06 - Apr 22 by ArnieM

I think people are underestimating the effects on the players that the take over news and accompanying "reset" at the Club, which doesn't include these players, had on individuals

Why would you bust a gut for a team /club , when that Club ( new manager) will be saying cheerio lads in 8 weeks time?

I think it was quite notable the sudden upturn in results ( 3 games we won) under Lambert , when the take over was strongly suggested...players suddenly had a spring in their step. Thinking, .."wow a better contract from the new wealthy owners"....but a little later when it became clear that there would be wholesale changes at the club ..the new manager said as much within days of walking through the door. that "there will be big changes"... "players will be leaving" ..."that's football"......add to that the training was ramped up 10 fold in terms of effort required. training twice daily ...HARD WORK), these players were well and truly thrown out of their long established comfort zones. ....
AND THEY DIDNT LIKE IT !

IMO they downed tools. It was clear they couldn't cope with the changes asked of them on the pitch. Cook tried several line ups, styles , formations in an attempt to try and accommodate these players and find a winning formula, and they couldn't ( wouldn't?) perform. They are supposed to be professional athletes / footballers.

I think its damning that they were fit enough to cope with 2 sessions a day . They've spent almost 3 years under Lambert playing practically "walking football". Not much being asked of them . Squad rotations etc . Cook comes in a tries to increase the tempo and they cant do it .

Ive got no sympathy with this squad whatsoever. There's been a problem at this club for years now ,and things really do have to change and they are defiantly a big part of the problem. I don't blame Cook for the performances since he's walked through the door. The team were crap before he arrived and a 3 game rally doesn't cut it with me., I blame the players .They have been pathetic . Time for them to go I'm afraid .They only have themselves to blame.

COYB's and Go for it Paul Cook .....

"There's been a problem at this club for years now "

Yes, Marcus Evans, and to a far lesser degree his apologists on here and elsewhere

Underfunded, almost total disinterest and appointing the likes of Milne and Clegg.

Apologists who constantly told us we had one of the strongest squads in the league and the only fault was Lambert (clearly neither being correct).

However that is now in the past and I welcome the new regime and hope to see the club re-energised and ran on a more hard nosed way. I

f you are not good enough, at any level, then there is the door. I don't expect miracles over night and stand behind Cook if we seem to be moving in the right direction. We've been stuck in a backwater for too long, thankfully the cause of that is gone.

Onwards and upwards
Players released on 19:34 - Apr 22 with 3142 viewspointofblue

I have no idea where to do put this post. It’s something I’m been thinking of since I put something on the fitness thread but I guess that I had the stark realisation that the issue isn’t with Cook or the players - they’re just the ones who are left behind.

Thanks to the input of Evans and Lambert we have a background team which has no structure or depth, particularly when it comes to physiotherapy and sports science. The reason why our players look so shot is because they’ve been drained of match fitness through the lack of support from those behind the scenes.

Which begs the question could Cook have done anything different? If he’d stuck to Lambert’s approach I suppose we may have plodded on with the same form but there’s a reason we changed the man at the top. But that’s where we run into issues - Cook’s approach is fast play coupled with expressiveness; how can the players do this when they’re not match fit? How is Cook supposed to judge players when they’re unable to play at the best of their ability?

We have issues with confidence but that could be down to the players not trusting their own bodies to maintain form for ninety minutes, whilst knowing that either they or their friends - or both - will be departing in the summer. It’s a horrific mix which perhaps more than other leaves us desperately needing the summer.

Players released on 19:38 - Apr 22 with 3134 viewsTerra_Farma

If this is true, AC-12 are onto you
Players released on 19:44 - Apr 22 with 3099 viewschrismakin

Players released on 19:34 - Apr 22 by pointofblue

I have no idea where to do put this post. It’s something I’m been thinking of since I put something on the fitness thread but I guess that I had the stark realisation that the issue isn’t with Cook or the players - they’re just the ones who are left behind.

Thanks to the input of Evans and Lambert we have a background team which has no structure or depth, particularly when it comes to physiotherapy and sports science. The reason why our players look so shot is because they’ve been drained of match fitness through the lack of support from those behind the scenes.

Which begs the question could Cook have done anything different? If he’d stuck to Lambert’s approach I suppose we may have plodded on with the same form but there’s a reason we changed the man at the top. But that’s where we run into issues - Cook’s approach is fast play coupled with expressiveness; how can the players do this when they’re not match fit? How is Cook supposed to judge players when they’re unable to play at the best of their ability?

We have issues with confidence but that could be down to the players not trusting their own bodies to maintain form for ninety minutes, whilst knowing that either they or their friends - or both - will be departing in the summer. It’s a horrific mix which perhaps more than other leaves us desperately needing the summer.

It's exactly why I wont put any blame cooks way. What he had in front him wasnt a team who just needed a new voice. It's been damaged for a while.

PC has made it known hes having to make 3/4/5 changes per game just to see the games out as the players don't have 90 minutes in the tank.

He tried to up the intensity of training and had to send the players home as they couldn't do it... fulltime professional players couldn't do a simple routine of training which PC had done with previous clubs.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Players released on 19:50 - Apr 22 with 3066 viewsArnieM

Players released on 19:21 - Apr 22 by HARRY10

"There's been a problem at this club for years now "

Yes, Marcus Evans, and to a far lesser degree his apologists on here and elsewhere

Underfunded, almost total disinterest and appointing the likes of Milne and Clegg.

Apologists who constantly told us we had one of the strongest squads in the league and the only fault was Lambert (clearly neither being correct).

However that is now in the past and I welcome the new regime and hope to see the club re-energised and ran on a more hard nosed way. I

f you are not good enough, at any level, then there is the door. I don't expect miracles over night and stand behind Cook if we seem to be moving in the right direction. We've been stuck in a backwater for too long, thankfully the cause of that is gone.

Onwards and upwards

I’m so with you on that 👍

Players released on 20:07 - Apr 22 with 3015 viewspointofblue

Players released on 19:44 - Apr 22 by chrismakin

It's exactly why I wont put any blame cooks way. What he had in front him wasnt a team who just needed a new voice. It's been damaged for a while.

PC has made it known hes having to make 3/4/5 changes per game just to see the games out as the players don't have 90 minutes in the tank.

He tried to up the intensity of training and had to send the players home as they couldn't do it... fulltime professional players couldn't do a simple routine of training which PC had done with previous clubs.

But that’s why I don’t like criticising the players either, and have maybe gone in stronger on Cook than I should have done - because it feels it has to be one or the other rather than perhaps acknowledging the blame really should lay at the doors who are no longer in control.

Players released on 20:11 - Apr 22 with 2995 viewschrismakin

Players released on 20:07 - Apr 22 by pointofblue

But that’s why I don’t like criticising the players either, and have maybe gone in stronger on Cook than I should have done - because it feels it has to be one or the other rather than perhaps acknowledging the blame really should lay at the doors who are no longer in control.

They dont however help themselves though according to those close to the scene... no one turns up early or finishes late and puts themselves through extra fitness sessions on the gym etc

Players like nors. Clearly loves the drink etc

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Players released on 20:39 - Apr 22 with 2909 viewspointofblue

Players released on 20:11 - Apr 22 by chrismakin

They dont however help themselves though according to those close to the scene... no one turns up early or finishes late and puts themselves through extra fitness sessions on the gym etc

Think we have to be careful casting aspersions about Norwood though I understand your overall point. I suppose this is where we go into a “hole in your bucket” scenario - you’re right, they can give more, but are they being motivated to give more? If they’re not feeling motivated yes, they have to take some of the blame, but is there much motivation from above?

Many have said some of these players would look good in a more confident, balanced squad and I would definitely agree with that.

Players released on 20:44 - Apr 22 with 2883 viewschrismakin

Players released on 20:39 - Apr 22 by pointofblue

Think we have to be careful casting aspersions about Norwood though I understand your overall point. I suppose this is where we go into a “hole in your bucket” scenario - you’re right, they can give more, but are they being motivated to give more? If they’re not feeling motivated yes, they have to take some of the blame, but is there much motivation from above?

Many have said some of these players would look good in a more confident, balanced squad and I would definitely agree with that.

I just think it's a big mixture of the timing of where we are.

We know there is an upcoming exodus of players how long has that effected people. How many. Etc
What else has happened. How many liked Lambert? How many were then happy with Gill.. what effect has been made with Walker leaving.

To some. People said they players liked Evans... has that done something

I just cant see how based solely on the experience of PC. The experience of man management and the vast amount of people who claim his MM is second to none.. how he has suddenly forgotten how to do it.

Theres just soooooo much wrong behind the scenes it's like a series of dream team and we awaiting the next serious to start.

Players released on 20:46 - Apr 22 with 2864 viewsmichaeldownunder

I agreed that the team has gone backwards under Paul Cook but it should be noted that it is not Paul Cooks team.
The spine of the team is just not there, KVY, Wilson , Downes, Skues and Norwood have been out for most of the season, They are solid players not great but 7/10 for this league. I think they would have held the team together.

All of the loan players have been poor, none of our young players have played well enough to say you cannot drop me. Our tear the league up players eg Judge, Edwards, Nolan and Jackson have not been able to make things happen over a run of games.

Have they downed tools, maybe? but not far off it.

To sack Lambert and bring in Cook just after the t/fer window was just daft. Lambert knew he was going, prob Cook knew he was on his way in.

This a bumpy ride and prob going to get worse before it getting better
Players released on 21:26 - Apr 22 with 2759 viewsArnieM

Players released on 20:46 - Apr 22 by michaeldownunder

I agreed that the team has gone backwards under Paul Cook but it should be noted that it is not Paul Cooks team.
The spine of the team is just not there, KVY, Wilson , Downes, Skues and Norwood have been out for most of the season, They are solid players not great but 7/10 for this league. I think they would have held the team together.

All of the loan players have been poor, none of our young players have played well enough to say you cannot drop me. Our tear the league up players eg Judge, Edwards, Nolan and Jackson have not been able to make things happen over a run of games.

Have they downed tools, maybe? but not far off it.

To sack Lambert and bring in Cook just after the t/fer window was just daft. Lambert knew he was going, prob Cook knew he was on his way in.

This a bumpy ride and prob going to get worse before it getting better

Exactly as Paul Cook has said really. “ There’ll be more pain to come , and then the sun will shine”.

Players released on 21:48 - Apr 22 with 2670 viewsreusersfreekicks

Players released on 20:11 - Apr 22 by chrismakin

Poss slanderous?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024