Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
More Incoming... 09:16 - Jul 30 with 5722 viewsKropotkin123

Interesting that yesterday Ashton said our transfer business isn't done yet. So I guess we can expect more.

PC said 4231 was his preference. He likes the adaptability. Sometimes we will need to play 2 up top (assumed 442).

Think the main areas of with this in mind would be

CM - Think we are currently asking too much of our CM and I don't know how much PC rates Nolan. If he rates Nolan and think he can get the Shrewsbury play-off final player out of him then I think this becomes less of a concern.

LB - No surprises here, we are on pause with Coulson, who would seem like a great addition at this level.

CB - Three players for one position at the moment and I think both Woolfenden and Nsiala are capable at this level. Personally I would prefer us to either bring in a stand-out defender, or wait until next year and just utilise the loan market if we need to. Quality over quantity for this position now. I don't believe there is a rush.

What do you think the priorities are?
[Post edited 30 Jul 2021 9:18]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

More Incoming... on 10:03 - Jul 30 with 2165 viewsstopmoaning

I'm only fussed about left back now, did want a big experienced centre back in, but we signed Edmundson, and don't think we need another centre back now - unless one leaves.

I think Nolan is a good player, I think midfield is covered - we are in League One, we don't want another bloated squad surely.
More Incoming... on 10:08 - Jul 30 with 2122 viewsjayessess

More Incoming... on 09:59 - Jul 30 by Keaneish

…because to keep a lean and hungry squad, it is necessary. It’s part of the reason we went for Crooks because he can play in three positions, Penney and Coulson in two or three etc, same for Chaplin.

Also, when you're targeting players from a higher level I suspect the conversation about "squad role" becomes ever more complicated as your squad gets bigger...

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

More Incoming... on 10:08 - Jul 30 with 2126 viewsElderGrizzly

If we assume Edmundson is a nailed on starter for us now, then it is him +1

I can still see Cook bringing in an experienced CB (32+) to offer some stability alongside the other CBs. Of course if he does, that means Nsiala and Woolfenden will need to accept their roles as back-up.
More Incoming... on 10:08 - Jul 30 with 2118 viewsJ2BLUE

More Incoming... on 10:03 - Jul 30 by stopmoaning

I'm only fussed about left back now, did want a big experienced centre back in, but we signed Edmundson, and don't think we need another centre back now - unless one leaves.

I think Nolan is a good player, I think midfield is covered - we are in League One, we don't want another bloated squad surely.

You want to go into a key season with three centre backs? Ndaba does not count. Fans always assume players will step up but it's quite rare. We definitely need a fourth CB. Another CM as well. At the very minimum.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

More Incoming... on 10:10 - Jul 30 with 2115 viewschicoazul

More Incoming... on 09:58 - Jul 30 by J2BLUE

Coulson, CB, CM and RM hopefully.

I’d be surprised if Coulson came now, I think we’re more or less sorted at FB. We have 1P KVY Janoi who can all play there and Woolf can cover RB too.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Left Back and Central Midfield (rehabilitate Downes??) on 10:11 - Jul 30 with 2112 viewsSharkey

Left Back and Central Midfield (rehabilitate Downes??) on 09:40 - Jul 30 by Pinewoodblue

He would fight for his place, something that didn’t work with Lambert but I’m sure works for PC.

As for experienced centre back I’m probably on my own with this one as I would be happy to see Tommy Smith back.

You always know when someone says ‘with all due respect ...’ that they’re about not to show some, and when Woolfenden said that ‘with all due respect to Colchester they played out of their skins...’ he seemed to overestimate how difficult the Town defense made it for Smith (and Noublé for that matte) to thump that header into the net. My first though was ‘steady on, son, it’s not even a given you’d get in the Colchester team. You’re still at Town based on potential, not actual achievement.’
More Incoming... on 10:12 - Jul 30 with 2099 viewsjayessess

More Incoming... on 10:08 - Jul 30 by J2BLUE

You want to go into a key season with three centre backs? Ndaba does not count. Fans always assume players will step up but it's quite rare. We definitely need a fourth CB. Another CM as well. At the very minimum.

I don't think it's that rare for a young player to slot into a 2nd reserve role off the back of a successful loan spell.

More Incoming... on 10:13 - Jul 30 with 2089 viewschicoazul

We have 4 with Toto Woolf Edmundson and Janoi, but I agree we need another.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

More Incoming... on 10:13 - Jul 30 with 2084 viewsxrayspecs

More Incoming... on 09:59 - Jul 30 by Keaneish

…because to keep a lean and hungry squad, it is necessary. It’s part of the reason we went for Crooks because he can play in three positions, Penney and Coulson in two or three etc, same for Chaplin.

Agree with that. It works though when you have players who can play multiple positions.

Bonne and El Miz are not wide players though and while Fraser has played out wide, he is to really an attacking wide player.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2021 10:16]
More Incoming... on 10:13 - Jul 30 with 2084 viewsKeaneish

Agreed. Assuming Coulson is coming then the next two through the door will be a CB and CM. Reality is we don’t really need a CM as we have Downes but it doesn’t look like anything is happening there, which is kind of ridiculous on all fronts.

McGavin is also still here as a back-up.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

More Incoming... on 10:18 - Jul 30 with 2060 viewsParsley

Harsh on Ndaba, he's 21 and had a decent loan spell at Ayr Utd. Also left-footed I believe which offers a different option. If he's not good enough to be 4th choice then he should be moved on. Different situation in midfield where with 2 injuries we're seemingly reliant on a completely untested 17 year old.
More Incoming... on 10:19 - Jul 30 with 2047 viewsjayessess

More Incoming... on 10:10 - Jul 30 by chicoazul

I’d be surprised if Coulson came now, I think we’re more or less sorted at FB. We have 1P KVY Janoi who can all play there and Woolf can cover RB too.

Coulson's more or less nailed on to be completed as soon as Boro are happy with their left back options, I think?

Left Back and Central Midfield (rehabilitate Downes??) on 11:58 - Jul 30 with 1922 viewsHighgateBlue

Left Back and Central Midfield (rehabilitate Downes??) on 09:30 - Jul 30 by unstableblue

Penney is more a wing back or wide midfielder than defender, and he needs cover anyway

If we start the season without Evans we've got a major issue, as seen at Col U.

I don't understand what Downes did to be so out of favour, but he would seem an ideal fit for back up... can he not be brought back into the fold like Dobra?

Yes I'm really hoping that Evans' unfortunate absence will have the silver lining of Cook giving Downes a chance. But I guess none of us knows the detail of the inner workings on that one...
More Incoming... on 12:02 - Jul 30 with 1900 viewsSomethingBlue

We'll definitely bring in Coulson — or another if that goes wrong. Those positions are so important and after KVY (assuming he stays fit) we have a significant drop-off. Penney will be a good utility signing I am sure but I doubt you're going up if he has to play 46 games at LB.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

More Incoming... on 12:07 - Jul 30 with 1887 viewsKieran_Knows

No chance.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

More Incoming... on 12:12 - Jul 30 with 1842 viewsNthsuffolkblue

More Incoming... on 09:28 - Jul 30 by Coastalblue

I'd still really like a centre half in the Mowbray or Devos mould, somebody experienced who can marshall from the back, however, if we wait until next season or January I wouldn't be too concerned.

I do think we'll see another CM come in.

I am hoping that in Edmundson we have already signed them!

Otherwise, we definitely need one in.

Aside from that and the expected addition of Coulson, we only really need players that are even better than what we have got in. A marquee signing would be great.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Think Downes head has been gone since the Palace transfer fell through on 12:17 - Jul 30 with 1817 viewsunstableblue

Left Back and Central Midfield (rehabilitate Downes??) on 09:39 - Jul 30 by MillsTash

Precisely.

I think as Ashton stated with new signings last night, if players are not 100% fully committed to wanting to sign for Ipswich, and no doubt play for the club, quoting no matter how good they are, then they won’t be here.

Think this is the case with Downes from that transfer request last season.

Shame as I think we'd have to pay a LOT of money to get someone of his ability...

And he could thrive alongside an Evans or Harper

Harper from the Col U game looks a step up to Dozzell... just more energy and more dynamic

Buy hey its Andre playing in the Championship

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

More Incoming... on 12:18 - Jul 30 with 1807 viewsTomTheWriter

More Incoming... on 10:18 - Jul 30 by Parsley

Harsh on Ndaba, he's 21 and had a decent loan spell at Ayr Utd. Also left-footed I believe which offers a different option. If he's not good enough to be 4th choice then he should be moved on. Different situation in midfield where with 2 injuries we're seemingly reliant on a completely untested 17 year old.

I’d like to see Corrie Ndaba go out on another loan, similar to Woolfenden’s a few years back. Send him to a League 2 side that suits his style. Someone like Forest Green Rovers, Newport County, Rochdale for example.

We know he is excellent on the ball, just needs to improve his concentrations and defensive awareness. Each of those played 3-5-2 last season, think he could thrive at the LCB is a team that likes to keep possession.

Blog: Where to Exploit and How to Avoid Being Exploited - Brentford

More Incoming... on 12:25 - Jul 30 with 1758 viewsNthsuffolkblue

More Incoming... on 10:18 - Jul 30 by Parsley

Who is this untested 17 yr old?

We have Evans, Harper, Nolan, Fraser and McGavin if needed is 21 and with some experience. Penney can play there (although that may need Kenlock playing, Coulson having come in or Woolfenden filling in at LB). I also believe Ndaba has played CM or am I confusing him with Nydam? Whilst Downes is on our books, surely he would be an option ahead of this supposed 17 yr-old too.

More Incoming... on 12:26 - Jul 30 with 1758 viewsFPL_Tractor

More Incoming... on 12:18 - Jul 30 by TomTheWriter

I’d like to see Corrie Ndaba go out on another loan, similar to Woolfenden’s a few years back. Send him to a League 2 side that suits his style. Someone like Forest Green Rovers, Newport County, Rochdale for example.

We know he is excellent on the ball, just needs to improve his concentrations and defensive awareness. Each of those played 3-5-2 last season, think he could thrive at the LCB is a team that likes to keep possession.

I can't remember the exact phrase he used but Ashton talked yesterday about improving how we loan out players. In the past it appeared to be done by giving favours to the manager's mate, hopefully we can be a bit more scientific like you suggest. Ndaba a really good example of someone who needs the right club.

For more ITFC chat and some fantasy football mutterings follow me on twitter @fpl_tractor.

More Incoming... on 12:33 - Jul 30 with 1715 viewsJ2BLUE

More Incoming... on 10:12 - Jul 30 by jayessess

I don't think it's that rare for a young player to slot into a 2nd reserve role off the back of a successful loan spell.

Ayr United. Think he needs a loan in league two or at another league one club.

Just seems incredible that people seem happy to gamble on a youngster or happy to play players out of position. Thankfully Cook seems to disagree. We should leave the seasons of inadequate cover to the Evans era.

Truly impaired.

More Incoming... on 12:37 - Jul 30 with 1697 viewsNthsuffolkblue

More Incoming... on 12:33 - Jul 30 by J2BLUE

Ayr United. Think he needs a loan in league two or at another league one club.

Just seems incredible that people seem happy to gamble on a youngster or happy to play players out of position. Thankfully Cook seems to disagree. We should leave the seasons of inadequate cover to the Evans era.

We are talking about in the eventuality that 2 or 3 first choice players are unavailable in one specific position. A number of our players are versatile so at what point are they playing out of position and at what point is it simply another string to their bow?

There is a fine balance between having a tight squad with sufficient flexibility/cover and being back to a bloated unmanageable squad. I would rather we erred on the side of the former, to be honest.

The issue under Evans was never a lack of players although some managers may have collected a lot for the same position and then played them out of position.

More Incoming... on 12:38 - Jul 30 with 1700 viewsTomTheWriter

More Incoming... on 12:25 - Jul 30 by Nthsuffolkblue

Who is this untested 17 yr old?

We have Evans, Harper, Nolan, Fraser and McGavin if needed is 21 and with some experience. Penney can play there (although that may need Kenlock playing, Coulson having come in or Woolfenden filling in at LB). I also believe Ndaba has played CM or am I confusing him with Nydam? Whilst Downes is on our books, surely he would be an option ahead of this supposed 17 yr-old too.

He means Humphrys. Tbf to the guy though, Fraser played more as a striker for MK last season than as a centre midfielder, suited to the attacking side of the game than defensive. McGavin is seemingly part of the bomb squad, another who should probably be going out on loan to a good side rather than shoving him back up to Scotland.

Coulson is the one who has played in the middle, rather than Penney. You’re confusing Ndaba with Nydam, but the former did play left back for Ayr United for a spell last season. Don’t think Cook will bring Downes’ aura back into the first team dressing room. He wants to leave, but don’t think he’ll have as many suitors as Andre did.

Blog: Where to Exploit and How to Avoid Being Exploited - Brentford

More Incoming... on 12:39 - Jul 30 with 1694 viewssm1ffy

Personally im still hoping that Celina comes in, been very quiet for a while i know, but unless i missed it, he hasnt gone anywhere else yet. Think he would really add talent and would be a great fit for the 4231 formation as well.
More Incoming... on 12:43 - Jul 30 with 1675 viewsJ2BLUE

More Incoming... on 12:37 - Jul 30 by Nthsuffolkblue

We are talking about in the eventuality that 2 or 3 first choice players are unavailable in one specific position. A number of our players are versatile so at what point are they playing out of position and at what point is it simply another string to their bow?

There is a fine balance between having a tight squad with sufficient flexibility/cover and being back to a bloated unmanageable squad. I would rather we erred on the side of the former, to be honest.

The issue under Evans was never a lack of players although some managers may have collected a lot for the same position and then played them out of position.

Donacien at CB was widely viewed not to have worked. Now it's a viable option?

KVY is one of our best players at RB. Why move him because we lack cover? This is what I don't understand.

We're an injury to Edmundson away from a Woolf/Nsiala CB pairing with Ndaba (completely unproven at this level) on the bench.

There's no logic in it. Anyway, Cook wants another CB according to Phil's recent story so thankfully it won't be an issue.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2021 12:48]

Truly impaired.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024