Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How is squad looking currently? 15:27 - Nov 10 with 3585 viewsitfcjoe

Things seem to have settled down now, where would people say we are.....

I'd say something like this:

GK - Walton seems solid but Hladky seems a bag of nerves behind him. I'd almost say Holy might be better option as number 2.

RB - On paper it looks sorted, but KVY seems so fragile at the moment - not good he went off holding shoulder last night.

LB - Biq question marks for me here. Coulson can't stay fit and Penney doesn't look quite with it. I'd be tempted to (if we can) send Coulson back in Jan and be looking for someone more durable

CB - Edmundson looks top notch. ALongside him we need improvement in mid term at very least. Toto will do a job, Burgess looks an odd man out now Edmundson settling on left and Woolf looks a bit out in the cold. Need one more for there for me

CM - Is El Miz trusted to be an understudy for Morsy? With Nolan nowhere, and Harper not really suited to role we feel one destroyer short in there.

AM/Wingers - Feel very set there, and will just about balancing opportunities dependign on form and fitness

Striker - Basically set there, Pigott a bit rusty but to be expected - obviously what we do depends on Bonne.

I'd say, in an ideal world, in January it shuffles a bit like this:

New LB
New CB
New CM
Potential for a versatile right sided player too

Surplus to requirements
Kenlock
Coulson
Woolf/Toto (or even Burgess if we could claw back what we paid!)
Nolan
Norwood
Jackson
Barry

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

How is squad looking currently? on 15:29 - Nov 10 with 2972 viewsITFC_1988

I think a back up for Morsy is the number 1 priority, we have no one else who can do his role and he is integral to the way we play.

Agree on the LB situation.

Bonne on a permanent should be a priority as well, but if no recall, can see us waiting until the summer to try and get it done.
How is squad looking currently? on 15:32 - Nov 10 with 2954 viewsElderGrizzly

I assume Burgess needs to come good, given we spent £750k on him

Feels as though we need another striker, assuming Jackson and Norwood are being let go in January
How is squad looking currently? on 15:35 - Nov 10 with 2928 viewsTractorCam

Definitely agree with the left back situation, although I have been impressed with Burgess there that obviously leaves us short in centre back too if we were to move him there.

Another CM would also be ideal, other than that I think we're there.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

How is squad looking currently? on 15:46 - Nov 10 with 2883 viewstractorboy1978

Think that's about right.

Re CM, I guess it'll depend on whether Morsy goes to the AFCON or not - looking very unlikely. He's a very durable player so would imagine we'd bank on him playing virtually every game we need him to. Tough sell to anyone decent when he's so obviously nailed on there! I'd like to see Matete come in though.

I think Wilder might quite like Coulson so if there is a recall could see him going back regardless of our intentions. Will also be interesting to see if he still likes Woolfenden. If we could get a half decent fee and get a replacement in, I would definitely do that (more money in the kitty for SCMP budget too...).

I suspect Bonne is here until the end of the season regardless but if he gets recalled that's a massive curve ball.
How is squad looking currently? on 15:51 - Nov 10 with 2824 viewsBseaBlue

Centre back and left back are dead certs for strengthening. I would quite happily add Wiredu to the midfield options as someone that can learn from Morsy with a view to developing.

Anyone got any ideas on centre back options? I really liked the guy at Posh, Nathan Thompson but can't see us getting him.
How is squad looking currently? on 15:53 - Nov 10 with 2799 viewsKeno

Are any of the youths likely to be able to step up?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

How is squad looking currently? on 16:02 - Nov 10 with 2758 viewsOldboy

Obviously massive improvement on last seasons squad, but still room for a few additional players.
2 defenders, 2 midfielders & 2 up front.
Not seen enough of Pigott to know yet, but Boone can't be our only option. Morsy can't be relied upon to play every league game, he will get suspended or sent off sooner or later. I don't mind that, but we will need quality replacements. We need a centre back or 2 if Burgess has to cover as a left back.
Like I say, massive improvement, but still needs more.
How is squad looking currently? on 16:04 - Nov 10 with 2754 viewschicoazul

If someone “will do a job” then they don’t need replacing. I think the only area where we really *do* need someone is CF. Bonne will go off the boil or get injured or maybe even recalled at some point. I’d like a solid 30+ yo back up to him and Pig. Probably someone Cook worked with before if they’re about.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

How is squad looking currently? on 16:19 - Nov 10 with 2710 viewsitfcsuth

Why doesn't Penney look with it?

I thought he has largely been absolutely fine this year and has been a decent outlet on the left hand side, can only recall one really poor 45 minutes at Plymouth.

Core squad looks set:
GK - Walton, Hladky
RB - Donacien, KVY
CB - Edmundson, Burgess, Nsiala
LB - Penney, Coulson
DM - Morsy, Evans, Harper, El Miz
AM - Burns, Aluko, Fraser, Celina, Edwards, Chaplin
ST - Bonne, Pigott

Peripheral players: Holy, Woolfenden, Carroll, Norwood, Jackson, Kenlock, Nolan, Barry

It's a really good squad, a pretty settled core group which Cook likes. I'd imagine all peripheral players will be looked to be moved on.

Suspect we will be reactive instead of proactive in the market. Dependent on outgoings (loan recalls) or injuries, will depend on who comes in. If we can move Woolfenden out, we would bring in a CB, if Coulson goes back, we will look at a LB. If Bonne goes back, we will need a ST.
How is squad looking currently? on 16:23 - Nov 10 with 2688 viewsTractorFrog

How is squad looking currently? on 16:19 - Nov 10 by itfcsuth

Why doesn't Penney look with it?

I thought he has largely been absolutely fine this year and has been a decent outlet on the left hand side, can only recall one really poor 45 minutes at Plymouth.

Core squad looks set:
GK - Walton, Hladky
RB - Donacien, KVY
CB - Edmundson, Burgess, Nsiala
LB - Penney, Coulson
DM - Morsy, Evans, Harper, El Miz
AM - Burns, Aluko, Fraser, Celina, Edwards, Chaplin
ST - Bonne, Pigott

Peripheral players: Holy, Woolfenden, Carroll, Norwood, Jackson, Kenlock, Nolan, Barry

It's a really good squad, a pretty settled core group which Cook likes. I'd imagine all peripheral players will be looked to be moved on.

Suspect we will be reactive instead of proactive in the market. Dependent on outgoings (loan recalls) or injuries, will depend on who comes in. If we can move Woolfenden out, we would bring in a CB, if Coulson goes back, we will look at a LB. If Bonne goes back, we will need a ST.

Yes, I think there has been an overreaction to one bad performance for Penney from many. He has been solid for all year apart from one game against Plymouth.

They'd all laugh at me if they knew what I was trying to do. To create a new strain of super-wine in half-an-hour with a fraction of nature's resources and a FOOL for an assistant. 'Bernard Black, he's mad,' they'd say, 'he's insane, he's dangerous.' Well I'll show them! I'll show them all!
Poll: What hurt more?

How is squad looking currently? on 16:26 - Nov 10 with 2667 viewsTractorFrog

How is squad looking currently? on 16:23 - Nov 10 by TractorFrog

Yes, I think there has been an overreaction to one bad performance for Penney from many. He has been solid for all year apart from one game against Plymouth.

Or at least he is very solid backup. I think the only real issue at LB has been Coulson’s injury problems, but his most recent injury is just bad luck. I can see Middlesbrough wanting him back though, in which case we need a new LB.

They'd all laugh at me if they knew what I was trying to do. To create a new strain of super-wine in half-an-hour with a fraction of nature's resources and a FOOL for an assistant. 'Bernard Black, he's mad,' they'd say, 'he's insane, he's dangerous.' Well I'll show them! I'll show them all!
Poll: What hurt more?

How is squad looking currently? on 16:27 - Nov 10 with 2658 viewstractordownsouth

I largely agree with you there. Left Back is the biggest problem - I'd be all up for getting a permanent replacement for Coulson and leaving Penney as the back up. I hope Woolfenden stays because he's good enough to play a role and could be one we regret losing if he were to leave but Cook clearly doesn't rate him.

A few people have mentioned strikers - I don't think anyone is going to join in the knowledge they'll be 3rd in the pecking order for a formation with only one centre-forward. Villa won't want Barry kicking his heels here much longer, so I'd say we're probably better off letting one of Norwood or Jackson (whichever is harder to shift) see out their contract as the emergency back up. There's incentive for them to play that role too, as I doubt either will get offered more money elsewhere in January.

CMs is a similar story - we have enough in terms of numbers but the only thing we don't have is a like for like replacement for Morsy, who will play every game when he's fit anyway. El Mizouni was impressive playing a vaguely similar role against Sheffield Wednesday, so I'd be inclined for him to remain as the deputy for that role, with Fraser/Harper coming in in the event of an injury to Evans.

I'd be fine with letting Holy, Kenlock, Nolan and either Norwood or Jackson go, with Barry returning to Villa.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

How is squad looking currently? on 16:40 - Nov 10 with 2616 viewsKeaneish

Agree with all of that although one of Toto, Wolfenden or Burgess will make that spot their own soon. If not, they're idiots and don't deserve to be here long term as its crying out for continuity and concentration, that's all they have to achieve!

If Norwood and Jackson both go though, we're a striker light unless Simpson is worthy of a recall as cover.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

How is squad looking currently? on 16:49 - Nov 10 with 2581 viewswkj

I disagree with needing a new CM, I still think harper can play the role of Morsy given some time - he's traditionally a total midfielder and would likely be playing week in/week out at the bulk of squads in the league.

We need someone in LB, maybe only on a 2 year deal as I have no doubt that Clemments will be capable in the championship in a couple of seasons.

CB is a mess, I hate to speak ill of Toto - but I don't implicitly trust him not to screw up in the box. Woolfenden is inconsistent, and in all honesty looks much more like a CDM than a CB. Edumndson is fine, and Burgess isn't much better than Toto at CB for being culpable for unforced errors.

ST - We have to try and sign bonne, we simply do - failing that we start scouting for the position in January and make do with Bonne, Pigott and in an emergency we can probably put Celina or possibly Chaplin in that role.

Cut List: Kenlock , Nolon, Jackson, Norwood, Barry, Coulson

Retain list: Donacien - we have to extend his contract, he proved me right when I said he was better than the manager have treated him, and not only is he better - he's my firm #1 for that position.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

How is squad looking currently? on 17:17 - Nov 10 with 2508 viewschrismakin

Unfortunately Penney has this major habit of giving players 3 or 4 yards of space to put crosses in. We've conceded 3 goals directly from that specific situation.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

How is squad looking currently? on 18:43 - Nov 10 with 2418 viewsHighgateBlue

How is squad looking currently? on 15:32 - Nov 10 by ElderGrizzly

Feels as though we need another striker, assuming Jackson and Norwood are being let go in January

I'd be tempted to let Burgess have a run at LB. I've been impressed by him there. Big strong and solid, like Donacien on the right. I mean, if it were Mick picking those two as full backs he'd get crucified, but you can only go on what you've seen and I don't think anyone's been standout on the left. Burgess has looked solid so far, and solid is what we need. We have the talent going forward in my view, and we don't look disjointed without an 'up and down' full back.
How is squad looking currently? on 18:49 - Nov 10 with 2395 viewsIpswichKnight

How is squad looking currently? on 15:32 - Nov 10 by ElderGrizzly

Agreed on that we will be very light in that department if we let Norwood and Jackson go. Could we recall Simpson? Or is he better off on loan at Swindon for the season?
How is squad looking currently? on 19:10 - Nov 10 with 2361 viewsLankHenners

In the short term most of the positions are fine. LB seems the obvious problem area - most comfortable we've looked there is with a CB playing there out of necessity which does a job but need an upgrade if Coulsen can't get fit.

CBs will get us through this season (the failure to get a first choice target outside of Edmundson in the summer may end up being regrettable though) but would be the first area to target for improvement in the summer regardless of which division we're in.

RB in theory fine as you say - Cook perhaps testing Burns' ability there if KVY is out for longer. Wouldn't mind that against teams where we'll have a lot of possession and need some pace on the overlap with JD playing when we need to shackle an attacking threat.

CM looking like the state where Mick would bring in an experienced head to play a dozen games over the 2nd half of the season. Morsy the only type of midfielder like himself at the club, though El-Miz has looked handy when he's played (but still not at the former's level) and would presumably be the player given the lion's share of defensive responsibilities in the middle 2.

AM/Wingers sorted both for now and medium-term really (assuming promotion is secured). Expect 1 or 2 more to come in if we are promoted.

ST - with 1 up top Bonne and Pigott cover that fairly well, then a 3rd choice could be similar to another CM, i.e. an experienced hustler to see games out. Wonder if someone like Morris or Yengi (if he keeps his bright start up) becomes effectively 4th choice?

Short term (i.e. where to recruit in Jan) - LB, CM cover, ST cover (assuming Norwood and Jackson gone/out the picture), CB if required quality is available.

Medium term - pretty much most of them, particularly across the entire defence including GKs, with another quality ST and CM.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

How is squad looking currently? on 19:12 - Nov 10 with 2348 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

How is squad looking currently? on 18:43 - Nov 10 by HighgateBlue

I'd be tempted to let Burgess have a run at LB. I've been impressed by him there. Big strong and solid, like Donacien on the right. I mean, if it were Mick picking those two as full backs he'd get crucified, but you can only go on what you've seen and I don't think anyone's been standout on the left. Burgess has looked solid so far, and solid is what we need. We have the talent going forward in my view, and we don't look disjointed without an 'up and down' full back.

I agree -Rotherham coming up their hoofball football will be similar to Wycombe and Burgess was outstanding!
CM we seem to be weak in challenges without morsey
The game last night was a side to side game !
Please move up the pitch and shoot from the edge of the box.
How is squad looking currently? on 19:19 - Nov 10 with 2304 viewsgroovyASH

Yeah, none of that is going to happen in January except Barry going back. Possibly Coulson going back if we can get a better option. Woolfenden will be RB cover in absence of KVY and Donacien

Nolan, Jackson, Norwood will be off in the summer. Wouldn't be a huge surprise to see Donacien and Nsiala to leave then too.

I think Carroll is Morsy's understudy when fit

Nothing will happen with the CBs until the end of the season, we have 4 who are capable at league 1 between them.

Poll: Will you renew your season ticket when Evans does the annual end of season beg?

How is squad looking currently? on 19:24 - Nov 10 with 2258 viewspointofblue

How is squad looking currently? on 19:19 - Nov 10 by groovyASH

Yeah, none of that is going to happen in January except Barry going back. Possibly Coulson going back if we can get a better option. Woolfenden will be RB cover in absence of KVY and Donacien

Nolan, Jackson, Norwood will be off in the summer. Wouldn't be a huge surprise to see Donacien and Nsiala to leave then too.

I think Carroll is Morsy's understudy when fit

Nothing will happen with the CBs until the end of the season, we have 4 who are capable at league 1 between them.

The key will be if any of the players out of the squad ask to move in January and, if so, do we oblige?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

How is squad looking currently? on 19:34 - Nov 10 with 2207 viewsStadiumofdark

Where is Carroll? Seems to have disappeared
How is squad looking currently? on 19:52 - Nov 10 with 2173 viewsunstableblue

Great post and pretty much agree with all that.

Left back and centre back are priorities as you say. KVY injury worries me as he was getting back to his best. Wonder if Ndaba is an option!?

I wonder whether El Miz and Fraser, are good enough back up for evans and Morsy. Perhaps they are.

Still combined Piggot will score given a run, but we are rather reliant on Bonne. Simpson still too green to provide an option.

Saturdays starting 11 will be interesting.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

How is squad looking currently? on 08:12 - Nov 11 with 1824 viewsGarv

Main thing I'd question there is going into the second half of the season with only two strikers. You can't bin off both Jackson and Norwood and not have at least one replacement.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

How is squad looking currently? on 08:35 - Nov 11 with 1681 viewsGarv

He's also played a solid part in a lot of our attacking play.

Burns offers pace on the right and is ridiculously good if we want to get in behind teams, but the more intricate stuff comes down the left with Penny and the likes of Celina/Chaplin/Edwards. He can be hit and miss with his crosses, but really what full back isn't? When he gets it right he's a striker's dream.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024