Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Post your "WOW" song 09:25 - Jun 23 with 3260 viewsGlasgowBlue

The song that made you go "wow". A song that gave you a feeling that hasn't been bettered since. And maybe even a story to go with it.

Long story short, I was off school after twisting my left nut the night before playing squash. It was the morning after John Lennon had been murdered and confined to my bed I listened to Radio One's all day coverage. This came on, I think it was played by Andy Peebles, and it stopped me in my tracks.

Some have come close but none have bettered this.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Post your "WOW" song on 09:26 - Jun 23 with 1702 viewsZXBlue

overrated bobbins!
Post your "WOW" song on 09:27 - Jun 23 with 1681 viewsdominiciawful

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

Post your "WOW" song on 09:29 - Jun 23 with 1647 viewschicoazul

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Post your "WOW" song on 09:39 - Jun 23 with 1623 viewsGlasgowBlue

Post your "WOW" song on 09:26 - Jun 23 by ZXBlue

overrated bobbins!

That's not quite in the spirit of the thread. But you are more than welcome to post your own overrated bobbins for our listening pleasure.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Post your "WOW" song on 09:41 - Jun 23 with 1595 viewsunbelievablue

First time I heard this song on the Radio.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Post your "WOW" song on 09:50 - Jun 23 with 1573 viewsEwan_Oozami

Side one of Godbluff....

Get your Hammill fix here:

[Post edited 23 Jun 2022 13:45]

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Post your "WOW" song on 09:56 - Jun 23 with 1567 viewsGeoffSentence

No testicle themed stories with this one, I was just hooked first time I heard it, and unlike a lot of 'loved it first time' songs, I still love it. I think its the riff.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Post your "WOW" song on 10:24 - Jun 23 with 1530 viewsMattinLondon

The only song which I can remember thinking ‘wow’ to is this one. I remember listening it to the radio and simply thinking ‘this is stunning’.

Also, I used to go to sixth form with someone who was one of those people who refused to like anything that was popular or that his mates liked. He was someone who sneered at almost anything. We were all waiting to get into Hollywoods on a Monday night and he overheard us saying that we all liked it and he said ‘it’ll be forgotten about in twenty years time’. No it hasn’t and it still sounds fresh.

Login to get fewer ads

Post your "WOW" song on 10:38 - Jun 23 with 1499 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Da na na

Da na na

Da na na Da na na Da na na....living easy, living free.....

My cremation anthem

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Post your "WOW" song, on 10:39 - Jun 23 with 1499 viewsChurchman

This is my contribution:

The back story is that my sister was older than me, there was one record player in the house and she dominated it. Now if you like Simon and Garfunkel, Beatles, Al Stewart and stuff like that, great. Add in my dads liking for the Carpenters and it was left to my little red radio to provide entertainment in the recesses of the house.

Well, I was round my mate’s and this came on and I heard it for the first time. He whacked the volume dial up to max as his mum was out out and as the neighbours banged on the walls, I thought wow, this is for me!

I actually didn’t buy the single, but did buy the album with it on. I always saved for albums, the first being Dark Side of the Moon, Trick of the Tail and Yellow Brick Road. Then came the Quo albums. All of them as they came out until 1980, Bad Company, Thin Lizzy and many more, when money allowed. My musical taste was not appreciated and new (second hand) record player was bought!
[Post edited 23 Jun 2022 10:40]
Post your "WOW" song on 10:40 - Jun 23 with 1496 viewsSaleAway

possibly not quite what you meant, as its not a particularly "wow" song.... but I remember when it dropped, watching the video, and being properly moved. I was going to Lesvos on holiday that year, and ended up fundraising to help support the refugees that they were having to deal with there, so in that sense, it definitely hit me right in the feels.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Post your "WOW" song on 10:41 - Jun 23 with 1487 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

An impressionable young teenager casting around for "his" music bought the Island sampler Nice Enough to Eat (mainly because it was cheap).

"Well I'm liking a lot of that", he thought halfway through the second side of the album and then this .....

Bam! Hooked!

Have to say that that sampler album and other Island releases coloured my music purchases for years afterwards.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Post your "WOW" song on 10:42 - Jun 23 with 1485 viewsWeWereZombies

When school was getting you down somehow this helped make sense of the World as you sang (and whistled) it on the cycle from Castle Hill to Northgate...and it was number one at the time too. Keep on roaming.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Post your "WOW" song on 10:42 - Jun 23 with 1483 viewsLord_Lucan

Back in the day I was at a crazy party and I was really getting into Pink Floyd and thought I was billy bog bollox by knowing everything...

..and then this come on!

Edit - side note. The song has a few special memories as well. 1/ The aforementioned party. 2/ Live at Docklands my mate done too much acid and had to go outside, I went with him, it was raining and I missed this track. 3/ Live at Earls Court (which is the video above) I had just peaked when this came on and I was so shot to bits I just started laughing and everyone around me thought I was a mad man.

Edit Edit; I was reading Guy Pratts book recently and he mentioned that although they had booked and sold out 14 days solid at Earls Court, no one had looked to see if the stage set would fit - it did though, with four inches to spare.

Pop pickers - play the video even if your'e not really in to Floyd, I think that show really hit the limits - and we are talking nearly 30 years ago
[Post edited 23 Jun 2022 14:21]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Post your "WOW" song on 10:54 - Jun 23 with 1446 viewsgtsb1966

The opening 30 seconds blew me away the first time I heard it and I still love it all these years later.
Post your "WOW" song on 10:55 - Jun 23 with 1442 viewsBluefields

Josh Wink - Higher State of Consciousness
Post your "WOW" song on 11:01 - Jun 23 with 1427 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I have a few actually, in different ways and styles of music. But I'll go with this. Particularly with the video that goes with it. Just beautiful... and in a made-up language!

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Post your "WOW" song on 11:04 - Jun 23 with 1421 viewsmylittletown

Post your "WOW" song on 09:56 - Jun 23 by GeoffSentence

No testicle themed stories with this one, I was just hooked first time I heard it, and unlike a lot of 'loved it first time' songs, I still love it. I think its the riff.

On of the great 'lost' bands. I saw them live at Brunel University in about 1977. They should have been stars, and that riff must be among the top 5 ever.
Post your "WOW" song on 11:17 - Jun 23 with 1372 viewsmylittletown

Not the best sound quality but an electrifying song which was the start of pop music becoming 'our' music for a lot of my generation.

Post your "WOW" song on 11:23 - Jun 23 with 1345 viewsSwansea_Blue

First trip alone overseas was to India when I was about 21 to do my MSc project. I arrived in India and immediately got conned and taken to a hovel of a hotel in Old Delhi overrun with rats; the filthiest 'hotel' I've ever seen, more akin to a slum. I was then caught in exceptional monsoon rains up in my Himalayan field site and got flooded out, and then stuck on the opposite side to the river after the bridges were washed out and had to shelter in a barn and beg for food for a few days. I got picked up by the army and questioned as I was near a military site with no permits. Then we had an earthquake.

Finally got back to the town after about of week of being thoroughly miserable and lonely, dropped into a cheap restaurant and this came over their speakers. The guitar opening sent goosebumps down my spine and I started blubbing like a baby lol. I didn't even like this band before then.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Post your "WOW" song on 11:26 - Jun 23 with 1340 viewsMookamoo

Had a bit of a moment when watching these at Reading 90. Still do a few festivals each summer and I always think of that visceral experience when seeing a stage. Something about that song at that time and place left a mark.
Post your "WOW" song on 11:32 - Jun 23 with 1321 viewsLord_Lucan

Post your "WOW" song on 11:26 - Jun 23 by Mookamoo

Had a bit of a moment when watching these at Reading 90. Still do a few festivals each summer and I always think of that visceral experience when seeing a stage. Something about that song at that time and place left a mark.

Did you see Slade at Reading?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Post your "WOW" song on 11:35 - Jun 23 with 1316 viewsMookamoo

Post your "WOW" song on 11:32 - Jun 23 by Lord_Lucan

Did you see Slade at Reading?

Think the Slade days had gone by 1990. I probably saw Neds Atomic Dustbin - are they close enough?
Post your "WOW" song on 11:39 - Jun 23 with 1305 viewsLord_Lucan

Post your "WOW" song on 11:35 - Jun 23 by Mookamoo

Think the Slade days had gone by 1990. I probably saw Neds Atomic Dustbin - are they close enough?

Slade played 1980, they were a late addition, in decline but stole the show.

I just wondered if you were a Reading person you might have seen them - i've never done it, a bit heavy for me.

I'm glad you posted, you have reminded me I need to email you, hope you're not too busy, loads to do - problem is, when I do get any time to think about things I end up on here.

Must do better!

Post your "WOW" song on 11:44 - Jun 23 with 1291 viewsSouperJim

Final song of their set at Cambridge, 1996. Just a feeling of euphoria and togetherness amongst the crowd having just witnessed one of the all time great British bands at their peak, complete strangers linking arms etc.

I still love them and follow them to this day, but that album was something else.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024